Clueless Newbie Question

abel0205

Earning My Ears
I'd love to purchase DVC (trying to talk husband into it). Quick question:

We've made 4 trips to WDW over the past 5 years. 3 stays of 9 days at WL; 1 9 day stay at POFQ. Someone told me if we choose to buy into DVC, we can somehow apply the cost of those past trips towards the buy-in since they were all booked through WDW? Too good to be true?

Too good to be true?

Yes, too good to be true.
What happen sometimes is that if you have a trip booked to a deluxe resort for a future date, your guide could find you a reservation for the same dates using points, even with short notice. So you might consider the money you would have spent like saved for the DVC purchase.

I would suggest you to read this board and evaluate if for you purchasing resale is a better idea than direct (often it is).

My contracts were both resale - one at VWL and one at SSR. Pick your use year carefully because if you go resale you have to pick your second contract in the same use year. It just works much better that way. Good luck. Got a really nice rate on my VWL contract last fall.

We've made 4 trips to WDW over the past 5 years. 3 stays of 9 days at WL; 1 9 day stay at POFQ. Someone told me if we choose to buy into DVC, we can somehow apply the cost of those past trips towards the buy-in since they were all booked through WDW? Too good to be true?

On our first trip in 1997, we were able to use our Polynesian stay towards the downpayment. But that was the last time I heard about that option. But it was only the while we were staying at the Polynesian.

They still use this option, as long as your still in the middle of your trip. And they will move you from your resort that your at to the new property. Was told this last Oct when we took the tour just to see the rooms at AKV.

They used to allow credit for the then current stay toward DVC though for most of those program times, they took points back to cover the stay. If you plan to continue your trend of the past 5 years and you buy resale, you'll save some money with DVC compared to a studio or 2 hotel rooms to a 2 BR in all likelihood but not a lot if you used discounts. I'd recommend paying cash or waiting to buy until you can. Just realize you're giving up some flexibility, accepting a long term planning model to be most successful and taking on the risk of dues long term. Also, there is limited housekeeping for DVC.

It does sound good, huh? Not true.

You will save thousands if you buy resale. They WON'T tell you that. We were clueless newbies once too. We did buy direct and added on direct. Buying resale seemed scary and kind of dangerous but the more I read on these boards and all the great advice I received we took the plunge and bought a 160 point BCV resale contract. Saved over $6000.

Buying direct is easy, fast and expensive. Buying resale takes longer but it's cheaper. The restrictions on current resales are insignificant if you only intend to vacation at DVC villas.

Take your time and learn as much as you can about buying DVC direct and resale. You should know where you want to buy and how many points you need and start there.

MEK said:
Pick your use year carefully because if you go resale you have to pick your second contract in the same use year.

still trying to figure all this out. Would you mind clarifying your statement. I guess I don't really understand how this UY stuff works. And while we are on that topic why is UY always with a month like UY dec 2012. Maybe someone could explain or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

DVD's discounts, promos, minimum buy in, and credits are directly related to current sales and forecasts.

Back in the 90's they allowed cash room credits to be applied to a DVC purchase. Now the sales have picked up, they no longer need to.

Other deals have been offered like "free cruises", developer points, "free points", and price discounts. When a resort is new they will offer deals to get sales started and adjust the deal depending on sales.

:earsboy: Bill

CaptDadSparrow said:
still trying to figure all this out. Would you mind clarifying your statement. I guess I don't really understand how this UY stuff works. And while we are on that topic why is UY always with a month like UY dec 2012. Maybe someone could explain or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

There is a very comprehensive thread on Understanding Use Year, look here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1942668&highlight=understanding+use+year

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards App please excuse any typos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter