• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Clueless guest comments at WDW

I just remembered another one - a friend of mine who hadn't been to WDW since before EPCOT was built thought we were going to have to pay to ride the monorail and the buses to the parks.

I've heard people asking how much it cost to ride the Monorail and Friendship boats on numerous occasions.

About 10 years ago I worked in the DMGM parking lot. At closing we'd frequently be asked "where does this tram go?" When we'd answer "the parking lot" we'd have an angry guest on our hands....they wanted us to go to the other Disney parks, their disney hotel, their non-disney hotel, Universal, Sea World, you name it.

Ok, I have to admit, sometimes I make really clueless remarks just to see people's reactions. My DH and I have gotten off the monorail and stood there and said "This is where we got on- you mean this thing just goes in a circle?" :teeth:

Originally posted by AmyBeth68
I mean....they now even have an INSERT in the park map that clearly discusses Fast Passes. Not to mention all the CMs they have stationed at the FP kiosk. People just don't take the time to read while they are there...no less doing a second of research before arriving. It's unbelievable!

Actually, I'm always glad that these people don't bother to read about Fast Pass. More of them for the rest of us who do the research!

While standing at the fish and chips stand in the UK two ladies walked by and said "I wonder where Epcot is....think is was that big golf ball back there". The British CM's behind the counter and I just looked at each other and laughed.

I used to take the time to stop and explain Fastpass to people. We got abused so much when it first become available for cutting in line. Now I figure it has been out so long that it is their problem if they can't take two seconds to understand how it works.

Originally posted by faithinkarma
We were on the bridge between the UK and France, and a family rushed by us. I heard the father say " We'll go have lunch, and be back here by 2:00 and get a good spot for the fireworks". I aklways wondered how long they stood saving their spot before they clued in.

Come on...didn't YOU know about the 2:00 amazing invisible fireworks show (which, by the way occurs at 2:00) that only a select few visitors ever get to witness???

After spending EMH morning in MK only to find Space Mountain broken down, we went over to MGM for the afternoon. On the way to ride RockNRollercoaster, DDs friend looked up at the upside-down limo at the entrance, stopped short and in a very disappointed voice announced 'OH, NO, this one's broken down too!'

Believe me, I have heard everything. EVERYTHING!

Someone asked me yesterday what the "big structure" was being built at AK. I told him it was a rollercoaster, and before I could get another word out, he exclaimed: "A ROLLERCOASTER? With all of those big, steel rods and everything??? Are you sure??" Um, yes.

A couple of months ago, a man came up with his child, asking what would happen if they went to MK and the child was too short to ride anything. We (another coworker and I) told him that if the child did not meet the requirement, then he would not be allowed to ride. He scoffed and said that he paid X amount of dollars for his trip, and he'd better damn well be able to ride. He then wanted a tape measure from us to measure if he would be tall enough. While we didn't have one, we went off to look for one...and my coworker tried to explain that just using the tape measure probably wouldn't help since it may not be accurate, blah blah blah. The man thought that we were going to call MK and alert them that we wanted to raise the heigght requirement. Ohhhhkay.

On and on...

These are so funny! I can't recall hearing anyone say anything off beat but I love the one about the two guys in Epcot asking what the big golfball was!! :p :p

Originally posted by Stepharoonie!
Believe me, I have heard everything. EVERYTHING!

Someone asked me yesterday what the "big structure" was being built at AK. I told him it was a rollercoaster, and before I could get another word out, he exclaimed: "A ROLLERCOASTER? With all of those big, steel rods and everything??? Are you sure??" Um, yes.

A couple of months ago, a man came up with his child, asking what would happen if they went to MK and the child was too short to ride anything. We (another coworker and I) told him that if the child did not meet the requirement, then he would not be allowed to ride. He scoffed and said that he paid X amount of dollars for his trip, and he'd better damn well be able to ride. He then wanted a tape measure from us to measure if he would be tall enough. While we didn't have one, we went off to look for one...and my coworker tried to explain that just using the tape measure probably wouldn't help since it may not be accurate, blah blah blah. The man thought that we were going to call MK and alert them that we wanted to raise the heigght requirement. Ohhhhkay.

On and on...

I take it you're a CM or something? You must cop all sorts of bizarre antics from people! Don't know how you put up with it, sometimes.

We had two different ones on the tram at MK.

One was a couple who's english wasn't great, DS and I were in seats with three other people, I was on the end. The CM had been loudly announcing no further seating, please wait for the next tram. This woman walks up and tells me she wants my two seats. Uhhhh, I just looked at her and said "no further seating, wait behind the line for next tram that's RIGHT behind us." She gave me a dirty look and stomped off mubling in Italian.

The other one was a family with a big huge stroller. DH and I figured it was too much of a hassle to get the stroller on the tram so we'd take turns walking back with it while the other one rode with a kid or two on the tram. So this family walks up with their big loaded down stroller and heads to the first row and sticks it on the seats in front of them. CM shows up and tells them they have to fold the stroller before putting it on the tram, so the dad pulls out two of the roughly three thousand items in the basket, folds it a bit and says that's as far as it will go, lets just go. :rolleyes: For some reason the CM bought it and we left with the jerk and his huge stroller on the tram.

Years ago, I was at MK and the River Boat was done for maintenance. It was kind of hard to miss, because the Rivers of America had been completely drained. Still, some poor cast member had to be assigned to stand on the boarding dock and explain to people the the attraction was closed. Despite the fact that there was no water, people were trying to line up to ride the boat!

One lady I overheard gave him a particularly hard time. She wanted to know if the attraction would open in an hour. I want to yell out "Hey lady. The river is drained. It might take a little while to refill it, don't you think?"

I've only heard the same as others have already posted:

Mom to son while riding bus - "No, we'll go to WDW tomorrow". I'm going to guess she was talking about Mk since we all got on the bus from MGM.

And of course, they usual "they're cutting" from people in standby while we use fastpass. Even had one family cross under the rope to get in the Fastpass line after mentioning how people were cutting. Imagine how mad they were when they found out you had to have a fastpass! They huffed off in a big hurry.

I also heard all the comments from the Standby lines as I breezed trhu the fast pass entrance but I quickly learned to ignore them and just proceed thru the line with mu head held high knowing that I was indeed a VIP for having spent 3-1/2 months of intensive research for our trip.

P.S.

Even after all that planning I got confused the first time I got on tha monorail at the Poly and it pulled out toward the Grand
Floridian and not TTC.

We were in line once for ToT and when we got up to the loading area, the man standing in line in front of us told the CM that they wanted to go up to the top to look around, but wanted to take the "regular elevator" back down because his son was afraid of the drop. :p

The CM explained that there was no "regular elevator" from the top and the guy proceeded to yell at the CM about all the time they had just wasted in line :rolleyes:

Can I cut just a TEENY amount of slack for people who call the MK DisneyWorld? I think people who may have only been to Disneyland may call it that because the two parks are so similar. I have to be honest & tell you that my two boys call the MK DisneyWorld (but they know the names of the other parks) cause to them it looks so much like Disneyland. It's just easier for them to remember, and I don't care at this point about correcting them. :p And yet they know the difference between those two parks too by the castles...I have trained them well.

My favorite dumb comment was we were at Magic Morning at the MK. I would *think* if one knew enough about the perks of staying at a hotel (meaning they had read something when they checked in), and seeing wordage about Magic Mornings, that they would ALSO understand or have read that only certain rides are open during that hour. My mom and I were waiting at the rope drop into Liberty Square last fall, and these two guys were totally griping about how stupid it was to pay to get in the parks and not have the whole parks be open and what a rip off it was, etc., etc. I said, "Well, that's how Magic Mornings are advertised---only part of the park is open during that hour...it's supposed to be a perk!" They still thought it was stupid---my only thought was, "I hope they're not heading to Adventureland, where things won't be open for another hour!!!!!!" :D

You won't believe this, but it's true...

While walking by the Lilo & Stitch photo area in AK DH & I both heard someone say, "Look it's Mulan."

And just a few days later in Epcot Princess Aurora was wandering around France and we both heard someone say, "There's MuLAN." (that's really how they said it moo-LAN).

I couldn't make that up if I tried.

In some ways I actually envy these folks. No really.

I remember my first trip to WDW, it was actually a business trip that I extended for a few days and invited my DW (fiancee at the time) to join me. It was relatively short notice, and we did no real planning, made only 2 or 3 PS's before we left. Okay we didn't make any really major gaffes, but to a large extent we didn't know what to expect. We had no idea what was around the next corner, and that was a really big part of the magic, It's something you can only experience once, and I'm so glad I didn't spoil it by meticulously researching and planning everything ahead of time. Of course now that I know what to expect it's a different story, but I think that for first-timers, less planning is actually better. There's seemingly no limit to the wonderful surprises you'll enjoy spontaneously.

And if I brightened someone else's day by making them chuckle at my reference to "that big golf ball" or not knowing where to pick up the boat to MGM, that didn't bother me. I was far too busy having to constantly scrape my jaw off the pavement to even notice.

That said, keep the stories coming. Some of 'em are pretty hilarious!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter