• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Clothing Optional Beaches

Not sure why anyone would have a problem. To many sheltered people, kids and adults. Remember, we are visiting. This is the lifestyle they have. Just as if you go to San Francisco, you could see fully naked people wandering the streets. Not just at the beech.

We went on this excursion last year over Spring Break and did not see a single fully naked person at all. In fact, we were told that complete nudity is only allowed at a certain point of the beach, which is far away from where the Disney Cruise chairs are located. There were a few topless women- mostly older ladies. Honestly it was not a big deal at all.

Actually before the ordinance it was legal at all times. Now it is legal during parades with a permit. Nice try MUn

My DW and I are thinking about doing the French Riviera Beach Rendezvous. We will be traveling with our DD, who is 12 years old. The Disney excursion page mentions that the beach is like other European beaches, where clothing is optional.

Can anyone tell me what the risk is on this excursion of bumping into some naked people? The last thing I want my 12 year old seeing on a family vacation is naked beach goers.

DH, DS8 and I just did this tour yesterday. The tour company takes you to a selection of the beach that is family friendly for the most part. I saw 2 topless women with thongs on the 4 hours we were there. DS had a great time and was so absorbed playing in the sand and ocean, he didn't notice anything. We thought the tour was great- Orient Beach is beautiful and lunch at the one trip "booffet" was good.

We stopped at a few clothing optional beaches on our excursion in St Maarten with Bernard's Tours. If there were any topless/nude folks on any of them, we sure didn't notice. The bartender at Sunset Bar did holler out a "special" while we were there. Topless ladies would get 1/2 price drinks - no one took him up on the offer though.

And yes, Europeans are different. When we were on vacation in Spain a few years ago, we encountered a woman who changed by the poolside at our hotel every day. She'd sunbathe in the morning with her bikini on, then strip completely and put on a swimsuit to go cool off in the pool. When she emerged from the water, she'd dry off and reverse the process. This occurred several times a day. Once we'd all seen her naked for the umpteenth time, no-one could figure out why she just didn't lay out on her sunbed nude! :confused3:rotfl2:

I actually think that in an environment where it is considered normal or socially acceptable, kids wouldn't notice as much as we think, and especially at that age.
It's mostly the older kids and adults that make the fuss and draw attention to it, and probably wouldn't if they had been taught and exposed to it at a younger age. I say exposed in the good way, not the seedy way.

I would look at it as a good way to breach the subject of human anatomy and geographic social norm's before going there certainly, but I bet it isn't as much of a big deal to them for us to dismiss a location for fear of their reaction.

It's funny how one person actually answered OP's question. Most just pushed their opposing views. it is OP's parenting right what they expose their child to at what age.

It's funny how one person actually answered OP's question. Most just pushed their opposing views. it is OP's parenting right what they expose their child to at what age.

In that regard, it's funny how the OP's question was answered in the first post, and others have offered other opinions in regard to what could, might or be expected.
Otherwise the OP's question could have been answered in some research or a "You Will" or "You Will Not" poll posted?

Not too surprising though. I think they were just commenting on American's unhealthy obsession about nudity. Show a tit in a movie for 1 second and you get a R rating. Show extreme violence and you get a PG rating and most people feel no problem about bringing the kids.

In that regard, it's funny how the OP's question was answered in the first post, and others have offered other opinions in regard to what could, might or be expected.
Otherwise the OP's question could have been answered in some research or a "You Will" or "You Will Not" poll posted?

well no one actually has answered the OP Question which is ...
"Can anyone tell me what the risk is on this excursion of bumping into some naked people?"

the answer to that question is: It is highly unlikely that you will bump into some (or even one) naked people. ... unless both you and they are not paying attention to where they/you are going. There will be no physical contact or bumping into at all.

I think that fully and accurately answers the question. the last part of the OP was a statement of a different issue not a question. :smooth:

My friend's 6 year old son actually DID outright bump into a completely naked guy on a St Maarten beach. He wasn't looking where he was going and got a face full of upper thigh.
OP? If you go to a beach in St. Maarten/St. Martin, your kid will probably see topless women at a minimum and quite possibly completely naked people. At ANY beach in the Caribbean, your DD is likely to see men wearing much, much tinier bathing suits than we are accustomed to seeing in the US, i.e. thongs and banana hammocks that leave nothing to the imagination. If you feel that avoiding all beaches where they could see nudity/near nudity is what you need to do... well, you may just want to avoid all beaches. That said, it might be better to just prepare your daughter. "The culture here is different, there may be naked people. It is considered impolite to point, stare, laugh, or comment."

side topic - there was topless woman on our cruise at the adult pool and the CMs had to tell her to cover up... evidently everyone was staring... anyways I have two little girls and I wouldn't be comfortable seeing male genitalia on a nude beach but would be ok with the topless stuff... I have seen that in Miami and Mexico and I think it's good to teach the kids while they're young that it is no big deal

In the words of the Lewis Grizzard...

"The Southern way of speaking is a language of nuance. You take the word 'naked'. It means you ain't got no clothes on. But sometimes 'naked' just won't do. You need something a little bit stronger. So we change that word just a little bit and we say 'nekkid'.

'Naked' means you ain't got no clothes on. 'Nekkid' means you ain't got no clothes on and you up to somethin' "

:rotfl:

This post made my day!! :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter