clothing optional beaches, YIKES!

Cindy72

Mouseketeer
I was on an official St. Maarten and St. Thomas tourism website and they said some of the beaches are clothing optional. I have young children and don't want to run into this (not that there's anything wrong with it) ;) . Has anyone run into this during thier cruise? Are there any family friendly beaches we can go to where this won't be an issue? Any we should avoid?

Avoid the French side of St. Martin if you do not wish to encounter this. The Dutch side should be fine.

I think Orient beach (might be another one--I can't remember) was right next to a clothing optional resort.

Sue Ellen

Disney's documentaion will let you know which excursions are in a vacinity of nude beaches so that you can avoid them if you wish.

There were a few topless women at the Atlantis beach when we did our excursion....

Orient Beach has a clothing optional "section" of the beach. When I was there last it was designated by umbrella color. I was there about 4 hours and saw only 2 people wander over from the other side - and they really needed some ironing done to be showing off those bodies! :p

You'll find topless women throughout the Caribbean. The only total nudity I found was on Orient Beach which is on the French side of St. Martin, and like the other poster said, the ones who were potential "eye candy" are covered, and the ones who would look better covered are nude!

The Disney excursion booklet warns which excursions go near nude beaches. We didn't see any, but we did the 12 metre regetta excursion.

My first cruise was on a French cruise ship based in Miami, The Mermoz. Clothing was optional around the pools on the ship. But there were only 3 children on board that cruise, all under age 5.

So, would the Atlantis Excursion in Nassau not be a good idea with kiddo's?

Jennay said:
So, would the Atlantis Excursion in Nassau not be a good idea with kiddo's?

I'm not sure...

Are you concerned about topless? If so, proceed with caution - I've witnessed topless throughout the Caribbean, including Atlantis resort area, and many other mainstream beaches. Not enough to ruin the family environment, but if one is offensive, then proceed with caution. Again, most places do not allow full-frontal nudity, and the only place I've seen it is on Orient Beach.

Edited to add: I've also witnessed more thong bottoms on both men and women than should have been allowed... :rotfl2:

Orient beach on St. Martin is entirely clothing optional with the far right end past the rocks as a nude beach. We found that out on our honeymoon. It was definitely an experience.

There are several stories floating around about people sitting on their veranda when a boat goes by and the women are topless (and I believe one story where the men were clothed in what God gave them). I don't think its common, but the Carribean is an international vacation destination and it and its visitors are less modest than many of us.

On the eastbound repo we went to a small, beautiful beach in Curacao on our own.....we found out it was a clothing optional beach....I think we were in the minority of english speaking visitors...it was really no big deal....the only part I did not like was the nude children (not toddlers, but about 8-11) we saw....I know some cultures are much more comfotable with their nudity, but with children I think it's just potential for child molesters......there were a few older men that I thought kept their eyes a little too long on the kids....

MJ

Disney with Triplets said:
You'll find topless women throughout the Caribbean. The only total nudity I found was on Orient Beach which is on the French side of St. Martin, and like the other poster said, the ones who were potential "eye candy" are covered, and the ones who would look better covered are nude!
\

You are so right! We took a vacation in St. Martin a few years ago, and it was never the ones you wanted to see, being nude; always the ones who should have put clothes on!

Judy

We didn't see any nudity at Great Bay Beach. I have heard you will certainly see some on Orient Beach and there is a bar near Maho Beach that will also have it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter