• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Clothing for Thanksgiving week trip...shorts? jeans?

opus_00

Mouseketeer
We will be at WDW Thanksgiving week (so close...can't believe it!). It looks like the average temperatures are in the mid-50s for the lows and mid-70s for the highs. Of course I will check the actual forecasts as the trip gets closer, but I am starting some preliminary packing. What would you wear for a full day in the parks for this kind of weather? We will pack a lot of short and long-sleeved t-shirts and sweatshirts or light jackets, and just add or remove layers as needed. But I am wondering mostly about pants. Would you wear jeans for this kind of weather? Shorts? Opt for capris and just be chilly in the morning and evening, and warm during the middle of the day? I know the presence or absence of wind and clouds could make 60 degrees seem either warm or chilly, so that could also affect the comfort level. I am really trying not to overpack this time since this is the first time we are travelling as a family of 5.

You didn't say where you were from and that has a lot to do with how you handle the weather here. As a FL (18+ years now) and living only about 75 miles west of WDW, I can tell you that I would not be wearing shorts. LOL But my northern friends would.

I liken FL winters to north eastern spring. November is similar to April weather. Warm but not really warm enough to swim. Dec is iffy. It can be cold, wet, dry or warm. More like late April beginning of May.

Jan is like November up north. Feb is close to end of March.

So if you are sensitive to temps 70 or below (like us FL peeps) then shorts are out. Capri's maybe a better option. If you are from the mid west/north area, you will love the temps (especially after this week) and you will be in shorts and tank tops but bring a light jacket or sweats with you just in case. We have been down right chilly around T-giving in the past.

Bring your sun screen with you regardless of temp. You can get a sun burn here if the temps are only in the 60's.

Hope this helps a little.

We will be there too! :wave2:

I'm packing a little of everything. We always go this time of year, and it is hard to pack. I just started packing yesterday. I don't really like jeans. I'm much more comfortable in capris or a skirt with leggings. I'm usually fine in the mornings, it's the evenings that I freeze! I'm bringing gloves and a hat! We learned the hard way the first time we went for thanksgiving and ended up buying gloves, hats and blankets for the kids who were 1 and 2 at the time! Of course back then we could throw warm stuff in the stroller. Now it goes in a backpack or locker. Sometimes we just go back to the room to change for the evening.

We are from Michigan. It's 30 degrees and snowing today. So 50-70 degrees sounds great to me! We will definitely be swimming.

Thanks for the replies! We are from New Orleans and now live in Houston, so similar weather. We are definitely NOT planning on swimming! I am now leaning toward all long pants and capris for my daughter and me, with maybe a pair of shorts in case there is an odd hot day. My husband and son will have to figure out their own wardrobe (LOL).
It's funny how relatively mild temperatures can be so hard to pack for. Yesterday it was in the low 60s during the day here in Houston, so I dressed in capri jeans, a cotton short-sleeved t-shirt, and a flannel long-sleeved t-shirt over it. That would normally be comfortable for me in that kind of weather, but it turned out to be cloudy and windy all day, and I was positively FREEZING!

I was planning on bringing just warm sweatshirts for the chilly mornings and evenings, but now I think we will also pack hats, jackets, and gloves just to be safe. DARN IT...so much for packing lightly! But now that we have a little one in a stroller again, we have our storage area back after 8 years with no stroller, so I am definitely going to be taking advantage of that while at the parks!

FIRST time in WDW in beginning of December!

We LOVE warm weather, so Hoping for the BEST!:thumbsup2
I've been told to pack "layers"...

Who knows, maybe we'll be lucky !Hey, just thrilled to see WDW for the first during the Holiday Season!:yay::santa: We've always catered to the kids sports summer schedule, always August, hot hot...Can't believe that we are going in the non summer! Yes, there are "benefits" when the kiddies "go to college", haha! :):rotfl2::rotfl

I am going to be there from the 15 to the 20th and think that perhaps pants a t-shirt and a sweat shirt is all you need.

It also depends on where u are from. Next week's weather is in 60s and 70s which is nice weather where we are from (nj).

We will be there that week and I am packing pants, t-shirts and a sweatshirt along with one or two layering long sleeve shirts just in case... going for 7 days i don't want pack a ton of clothes which is why i didn't pack shorts... me and my kid are from VA so its going to be warm for us, but mom is from Houston so she planning on weather being about the same....

Bring both warm and cold clothing on the trip. I'd wear pants and a summer is shirt and if you don't have a high cold tolerance carry a light jacket that won't slow you down.

We are in Houston and will be there the same week. We are packing jeans, tshirts and jackets. I plan to dress everyone in layers. The evenings will be cool. No swimming for us either.

We will be there too! :wave2: I'm packing a little of everything. We always go this time of year, and it is hard to pack. I just started packing yesterday. I don't really like jeans. I'm much more comfortable in capris or a skirt with leggings. I'm usually fine in the mornings, it's the evenings that I freeze! I'm bringing gloves and a hat! We learned the hard way the first time we went for thanksgiving and ended up buying gloves, hats and blankets for the kids who were 1 and 2 at the time! Of course back then we could throw warm stuff in the stroller. Now it goes in a backpack or locker. Sometimes we just go back to the room to change for the evening. We are from Michigan. It's 30 degrees and snowing today. So 50-70 degrees sounds great to me! We will definitely be swimming.

We'll be at WDW for Thanksgiving too! We got a little snow today in metro Detroit, so 50-70 sounds great to me as well.

I started packing for my girls and I do need to include extra leggings and long sleeves. But we will definitely be swimming! Well, I'll be in the hot tub at least :)

I'll chime in with most of the others - bring a little bit of everything, and plan to layer. Definitely bring a warm coat, gloves, long pants, and warm socks for everyone. No offense, but don't believe people who tell you you won't need warm clothes! If you're lucky, you'll have warm weather, but chances are you'll have some cool, even cold weather, too!

I went to WDW in early October, 2009. Usually a very warm time of the year. Foolishly trusted the forecast when packing. Since the weather was supposed to be mid-90s and very humid, packed almost exclusively shorts, sleeveless tops, and sandals. Bad idea!

On Day 8 of the trip, had a cold snap overnight and the temps dropped 30+ degrees from one day to the next. Did my best to layer, but it was very hard. And I was very reluctant to pay for expensive WDW warm clothes ($60 for a sweathirt!) with only two days left before going home.

So save yourself frustration (not to mention money!) by packing warm clothes, but toss in a pair or two shorts or capris (and a swimsuit!) just in case!

We are going early Dec and I'm planning on packing some earmuffs, gloves, and a pashmina-type scarf that I can wear as a scarf or shawl.
(also tank tops to layer under..)

We are going early Dec and I'm planning on packing some earmuffs, gloves, and a pashmina-type scarf that I can wear as a scarf or shawl.
(also tank tops to layer under..)

Orlando isn't REALLY New England in Dec!:rotfl2::rotfl:

We are going beginning Dec too and I absolutely REFUSE to wear earmuffs in Orlando! Can do that at home back north! :rotfl2: Will bring layers but some bring winter coats???? Huh, NO WAY!

ENJOY! :thumbsup2 Pixie Dust for GREAT WEATHER beginning of Dec.!:cheer2:pixiedust:

we just got back last weekend and we had some hot days and cold days. we were there when it was 55/38 yes it was 38 one night! nights were always sweatshirt weather even on the 80 days. I was mad my husband talked me out of wearing my north face!

another Thanksgiving week traveling family! One week from today...woohoo! Our teen boys will take jeans and tshirts, layer with a hoodie if necessary. I wear dresses all the time and will pack in some tights and a hoodie to wear over if it gets cool in the evenings. If it warms up, minus the tights...I am excited to start packing tomorrow.

We just returned (there 11/7 to 11/14. Pants definitely came in handy. The night we were in Epcot, it was quite chilly with the wind blowing over the lake. I always packed jackets in the kids day packs (and ponchos), as well as gloves. Didn't have to use the gloves, but the jackets were always used. On the other hand the kids were able to swim because the pool was heated, and the temp did hit 80 degrees 1 day. So pack a combination of outfits. I did laundry half way through to save on luggage costs.

It's true the weather down here is very wonky in Nov. It can be chilly and it can be downright hot. I guess packing would also depend on how sensitive to various temperatures you are.

I'd say bring a sweatshirt/fleece or light jacket.
When I hear coat, I think heavy winter coat.

Unless you're very sensitive to cold I would say you don't need gloves, hats, mittens, earmuffs, what northerners wear for coats in the winter, etc.

I live in Orlando and have yet to see anybody wearing any of the above yet (jan/feb tend to be the coldest months). Mostly folks are in sweatshirts or light jackets and pants on the chillier days we've had so far. A scarf is always great IMO

We will also be there Thanksgiving week!:cool1: We were there the same week 4 years ago. I'm definitely packing capri's, jeans, short sleeve shirts and fleece jackets.
Also checked the weather, looks like rain :worried: on our first few days. So definitely packing our ponchos!
Last time we went to MVMCP and I wore a Mickey long-sleeve Christmas shirt. I was SWEATING! Then it poured. I remember thinking just because it's the end of Nov, doesn't mean it will be cold. You never know.

Another memory is when we rode Splash Mountain and got SOAKED! It was too cold to dry off (no sun), so we had to go back to the hotel to change.:confused3

My boys will wear shorts when it's freezing, so shorts/jeans for them. We will definitely swim because the pool is heated. I will bring gloves, hats, scarf just in case.

Since we need to bring different weather types of clothes, we are very thankful for our washer/dryer in our room, which will help.

Hopeful for 70's, but planning for whatever.:)

How's the packing going everyone? The forecast is looking a little rainy for Tuesday & Wednesday...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter