Clothing for January

Jean P

Earning My Ears
Planning a trip on the first week of January. What type of clothing should be packed? Are there days when you can wear shorts? I need some help.

Planning a trip on the first week of January. What type of clothing should be packed? Are there days when you can wear shorts? I need some help.

Pack everything, you never know. Layers is the best strategy as it may be pretty warm during the day but cold in a morning and night. I highly doubt need for shorts but you can pack one pair per person just in case. The best I can suggest, watch weather 10 days before your trip and decide then.

It could easily get down around 50 and could easily get into the 80's.

We've been there twice in Jan and the range was a little annoying for packing. Some days were shorts, some were jeans. Most of the jeans days were because of the rain. Jackets were commonly needed at night.

The two bad things about going in Jan is the tough weather predictions and the routine refurbishment they do that closes some of the attractions. Other than those two, the crowds are low and it's never too hot. Great time to go!

Good luck.

Definitely check the forecast shortly before you pack! The past two times we've gone January 1st week, we were comfortable wearing long pants and short-sleeves during the day, with a light jacket mornings and evenings. This year, however ... it was freezing!! Thank goodness I had checked the weather and packed accordingly. Every day that week we wore a heavy jacket over a mid-weight jacket, hats and gloves. And we were still too cold, especially at night ... Brrrr!!

This year, however ... it was freezing!! Thank goodness I had checked the weather and packed accordingly. Every day that week we wore a heavy jacket over a mid-weight jacket, hats and gloves. And we were still too cold, especially at night ... Brrrr!!

We wore the exact layers this past January. We were even cold and we our from Minnesota. Brrrr!!! It was enough to make my DH say we will never go in January again. I like the lower crowds and I'm trying to convince him that the cold weather was just a fluke!!

We will be there in January too, but the 3rd week instead of the 1st. Guess I'll just pack a little of everything lol.

We'll be there in January, too. We were there during FREEZING cold weather last January. The high temp was 34 on our arrival day (Sunday). By Friday DH and DS (7) were in shorts, but it never got warmer than 70. The other days we were in jeans, t shirts, sweatshirts, jackets, hats and gloves. We're bringing thermals this year, just in case! We were at the parks for rope drop most mornings, and it was usually about 30-40 degrees. It usually warmed up by noon. The first few days it never got warmer than 50, but that was not typical weather.

People will say that the humidity makes it feel colder, and that is sooo true. Especially at night and watching fireworks at Epcot. You won't regret packing a hat and gloves.

We were there this past January too!

Used all our snack credits on hot chocolate, lol! We woke up one morning and it was SNOWING!

You have to pack for both. I've been in the MK when it was under 45 degrees and I've been there when it was over 85.

If you don't mind sending laundry out (or doing it yourself), it is easier to pack a little of both.

If you're going to skimp, skimp on the warmer weather stuff. The stores run out of hats, gloves and scarves faster than T-shirts and flip-flops.

Have fun!!

I was here for a while looking for an apartment this past winter... the year Florida froze over.

It was annoying because the sun would beam on you real nice and hot, but if you stepped in the shade it was much cooler with a breeze (around 70). SS shirts and jeans / shorts were fine. At night it would get down in the 35-45 range and you needed a light-medium jacket or fleece type thing.

AC in the morning, heat in the evening. From the feel of things earlier this week, I expect it to get cold again this winter. It was all of 59* the other night.

I would check the weather closer to your travel dates, but I would suggest a medium-weight fleece type zip up jacket that packs / carries easily and more pants / jeans than shorts. Bring a couple of shorts just in case, or if you're the warmer-feeling type. You could rock shorts in the daytime, but might feel a bit brisk in the evening breeze.

I never wear shorts in January. Though it may be a tad warm on some days, there's really no need for them. Really, last year I spent January scraping ice off my car windows.

Definitely check the forecast shortly before you pack! The past two times we've gone January 1st week, we were comfortable wearing long pants and short-sleeves during the day, with a light jacket mornings and evenings. This year, however ... it was freezing!! Thank goodness I had checked the weather and packed accordingly. Every day that week we wore a heavy jacket over a mid-weight jacket, hats and gloves. And we were still too cold, especially at night ... Brrrr!!

As others have noted, last Jan. was bitter cold at times. If you have kids, PLEASE make sure you have hats/gloves/sweatshirts for them. When we were at Disney last January, I was shocked to see the number of kids in shorts/flip flops/tank tops on the cold days/nights complaining to their parents about how cold they were.

We're heading to WDW again this January with our grandkids and have already bought them gloves/headbands that we can carry in our backpack into the parks. Got the gloves and headbands at JoAnn's Fabric for $1 each! Well worth it.

I have famliy that lives in Orlando and my aunt told me the highs are usually in the low 70's and the lows in the low to mid 50's. Of course last year was an expection since the whole south was unsually colder than normal. I am going in January also and I'm just planning on bringing jeans, t-shirts and a light weight jacket. Of course I will be checking the weather before we head down there to make sure I don't need to pack my winter coat and sweaters.

If you like to pack early, I would opt for mostly capris and pants and layering t's and sweatshirts. Check the forecast the week before and see if you need to add shorts, hats, gloves etc.

We went this past January and were prepared with our winter coats, gloves etc.

January of 2009 was lovely..in the 70's during the day and high 50's 60's at night..still not shorts weather for me but very nice.

We ALWAYS wear shorts in January. It's always been lows in the 50s and highs in the 70s and sometimes 80s. Of course, we've been really lucky. Many times, it's freezing right before or after we are there, but beautiful for us. This year, we'll be there for the marathon, and since it was sleeting last year, I'm hoping for better running weather! ;)

We were there last January for the race weekend as well and we were bundled up every day. Knew we were in for cool temps when all the flower beds were covered up. Even locals were commenting on the unusual below zero temps. My wifes Olympic mittens were quite popular (we're from Ottawa btw). Going down again this coming January for the half marathon and staying at the Wilderness Lodge again. My cool weather running clothes actally came in handy as they are lighter but warm and good for layering.

There is no way you can plan now with any type of accuracy what type of clothing to pack. If you go on averages, you could wear shorts during the day if you wanted to, but you might be a little cold in the shade sometimes.

Last year, they had snow flurries, and two years ago we sam and sat by the pool in our bathing suits.

We've been for the marathon quite a few times and our "normal" attire is jeans and a light jacket/sweatshirt in the morning when we leave the resort. During the day we often ditch the jacket and just wear jeans and shirt. At night, it usually gets cold and we often wear coats with gloves and hats just because its more comfortable.

Not being properly dressed for the parks can turn a magical night miserable.

pics below are actually from 09 Marathon, as you can see - no shirt and still pretty warm.

My January packing list (4 days)

Wearing on the plane:
Jeans, t-shirt, hoodie and tennies shoes

Packing in carry on:
1 pair of Jeans
1 pair of capris
3 tank tops
4 t-shirts
1 sweater
1 hoodie
gloves
socks/undies

Layer according to the weather. It's quite easy! :)

We go to WDW nearly every January and we have experienced every termperature you can imagine -- from low 40s to upper 80s, and that was on the same trip. We're from Maryland, and when it hit upper 70s we were putting on shorts. But then at night back to several layers and gloves.

Pack a little of everything and be prepared for the night time temps to drop off significantly.

I've been in January twice and both trips I had highs in the 80s and lows in the 30s. You have to bring a bit of everything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter