• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Clothing for Alaska

insight blue

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone!

A group of us are heading to Alaska end of June, and I had a question about what clothing would be best for our port adventures. We are doing the Musher's Camp and Sled Dog Experience in Skagway, Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Quest in Juneau, and Rainforest Wildlife Sanctuary, Raptor Center, and Totems in Ketchikan. I know layers are a good idea, but what about pants? I'm not sure jeans would be comfortable all day, and khakis seem too light. What would you all recommend? Were you fine in jeans all day? Or did you get some sort of hiking pants from a sporting goods store? None of us have ever been to Alaska, or anywhere similar, and haven't really been hiking so we are at a loss! Thank you!! :)

Stretchy comfy jeans or sweats or warmups are fine unless they get wet and take forever to dry. I would definitely take a rain poncho, just in case. It's good to have your hands free on a hike, so using an umbrella doesn't work very well.

It wouldn't hurt to look into getting waterproof pants or two-piece rain gear, including a plastic jacket/hoodie and pants which fold up into a pouch which you can put in a backpack.

If you take rain gear you won't need it -- think of it as trip insurance. :cool1:

Hello everyone!

A group of us are heading to Alaska end of June, and I had a question about what clothing would be best for our port adventures. We are doing the Musher's Camp and Sled Dog Experience in Skagway, Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Quest in Juneau, and Rainforest Wildlife Sanctuary, Raptor Center, and Totems in Ketchikan. I know layers are a good idea, but what about pants? I'm not sure jeans would be comfortable all day, and khakis seem too light. What would you all recommend? Were you fine in jeans all day? Or did you get some sort of hiking pants from a sporting goods store? None of us have ever been to Alaska, or anywhere similar, and haven't really been hiking so we are at a loss! Thank you!! :)

I read this because I had the same question. As I read it I chuckled, I would be clueless too... then I saw you were from Ft Lauderdale and I realized it doesn't even get as cold where you are as where I am from in FL.

Jeans are heavy clothes to us aren't they!?!?!?

Just got off the 5/28 sailing... it was cold for me. I'm a So. Californian. I was wearing when I was out on deck, or in port: Leggings, Jeans over the leggings, socks, Uggs, Long sleeve shirt, short sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, gloves and beanie. If it was raining, I threw on a raincoat over all of that and I was still cold. The wind while the ship was moving was strong and cold.

Haven't been to Alaska yet, but as a native Northwesterner, I can say that layers are your friends. It is not uncommon to be cold, warm, then cold again several times a day.

Have fun!!

Just got off the 5/28 sailing... it was cold for me. I'm a So. Californian. I was wearing when I was out on deck, or in port: Leggings, Jeans over the leggings, socks, Uggs, Long sleeve shirt, short sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, gloves and beanie. If it was raining, I threw on a raincoat over all of that and I was still cold. The wind while the ship was moving was strong and cold.

This is exacty what I am scared of as a Southern Californian too!!!! Good to know though, thanks!!!

Also for so cal and we went last year. You know about layers. For us it was fleece over long sleeve shirt and then a light rain shell over that. Gloves are a must in my book. On Tracy Arm day it was cold and drizzle but the ship moved slowly. Even so, out on the bow was cold.

I sometimes wore shorts. Jeans work great for out on deck but I do prefer hiking pants over a light pair of polar max long underwear to jeans. They dry quick if they get wet and are layers again so they help keep you warm.

There is a science to why layers work well. It has to do with a soft wicking layer against the skin to pull sweat and other moisture away from the skin to keep you dry. The outer layer acts a shell to protect from the elements. In between is air, which acts as an insulator. That outer shell also keeps body heat in. Staying warm always requires head gear of some sort. Hot air rises and will escape through the top of your head. Keep your body heat in by wearing a cap or beanie.

Proper footwear is also important. I wore two layers of socks. A thin under layer and a thicker wool outer. I like Smartwool.

All of the gear we brought we picked up from the Columbia outlet store. Well ... Not all of it ... But a lot of it. They key for us was to have the layers but have it all be packable.

When on the ship it is very comfortable unless you are exposed to the wind out on deck.

Coming from a very warm environment, plan on being cold.

But here's a more important question: why haven't you joined our cruise meet thread?

Hello everyone!

This is my Pacific Northwesterner's Packing List:

Light pajamas
Flannel or thermal pajamas
Swimsuit
Appropriate underthings, given age and gender
4 pairs khakis
4 polo shirts
5 pairs socks
a sweater or nice fleece pullover
a 3-in-1 parka
Hat and gloves
Suit, Tux, or dress for formal and semi-formal night
appropriate shoes for dress clothes and dinner

For hiking, I would add:

Comfortable shoes
Jeans
T-shirt
Sweatshirt

This should keep you comfortable in all weather:

If it is super hot:

Khakis, polo shirt, and swimming

If it is terribly cold:

Wear the flannel or thermal pajamas under the sweater or sweatshirt and jeans, the 3-in-1 with the liner zipped in, double the socks, wear the hat and gloves.

If it's as it usually is:

Depending upon how cold you get, wear the polo shirt and the jacket, or the polo shirt, sweater and jacket.

Boy do I feel like an idiot. My daughter is in a calculus class and I have asked her instructor to send a copy of each test home so I can take it *just for fun* and with all that mathematical skill I screw up simple counting!

Insight, you are sailing the week after me, and that's why you have never joined my cruise meet thread!

I am having undergraduate flashbacks, where almost all of my mistakes on calculus tests were simple addition or subtraction errors after getting the hard stuff out of the way.

Boy do I feel like an idiot. My daughter is in a calculus class and I have asked her instructor to send a copy of each test home so I can take it *just for fun* and with all that mathematical skill I screw up simple counting!

Insight, you are sailing the week after me, and that's why you have never joined my cruise meet thread!

I am having undergraduate flashbacks, where almost all of my mistakes on calculus tests were simple addition or subtraction errors after getting the hard stuff out of the way.

Haha no problem! It's nice to know I was wanted if I was on the right cruise. ;)

And thank you everyone for your feedback! This has been a big help. :goodvibes

I went on the first one a few weeks ago in May. When it wasn't raining it was quite nice. Skagway was one of the warmest days! We did Endicott Arm instead of Tracy Arm and that day was REALLY COLD. We had our thermal underwear on under jeans and sweatshirt and heavy coat and gloves and ear warmers! It was also cold walking out to the glacier in Juneau but not bad otherwise. The decks were always fairly deserted because of the cold weather.

Hey,
As a local im kinda blessed to have all sorts of clothing for such weather changes. If I had to pack for those excursions I would wear/bring the following;

1. Under Armour (or similar material) leggings. These whisk away sweat while providing warmth. I wear them frequently around Anchorage in the winter and under my fishing waders (this time of year) for an added layer of warmth. They're pretty light when it comes to weight and have no issues fitting under a pair of khaki's (what I wear pretty much all the time).

2. Fleece Vest and long T-shirts. I always carry a fleece vest in my car to put on underneath a light jacket and on top of a long sleeve T-shirt. If its toasty outside, I remove the jacket, then fleece and am left with a long sleeve T-shirt which is fine (for me) on those toasty ( :rotfl: ) 60 degree days!

3. Light-warm jacket with a hood. Dress in layers underneath a light, preferably water proof (or water resistant with an umbrella) jacket. Leave the heavy coats to the 10-20F and below weather. Under shirt, long sleeve T-shirt, fleece/wool vest/sweater, then light jacket on top.

4. Gloves and warm hat. While standing on deck the wind, spray, and damp air make it pretty chilly. Make sure to have a pair of gloves and a hat handy at all times. This can save your trip!

If you have room in your suitcase (I know we never do) a good pair of rain pants/jacket can save a rainy day. In southeast it rains ALOT. Not the sort of rain you get in Florida but the constant drizzle that soaks to the bone. In all my travels in southeast I have seen maybe 2 days that it didnt drizzle at least once. So if you can get a good pair of lightweight waterproof pants/jacket, its a good investment! Up here people get their's at BJ's, REI, Sportman's Warehouse, or Helly Hansen.

If you have any other questions feel free to shoot me a PM!

Clint
Anchorage, AK

Having spent 25+ living in AK (now Seattle). all of the above are good pieces of advice. The most important nugget to keep "top of mind" has been mentioned. The weather can/will change quickly. Plan accordingly and be prepared to dash back to the cabin to add layers or to shuck off layers as the situation demands.

I have been through the inside passage 3x in the past. It is a beautiful experience. Even in "crappy" weather.

Have great trip.

Egads! We're sailing to Alaska at the end of the month also. (Not DCL :sad1:) From these posts, it looks like we should dress like we are going skiing. Is it really that cold? I was just planning on rainy weather wear. But thermals and stuff? Gloves? Maybe some handwarmer packs for excurions also? :confused:

I was planning on bringing tennis shoes for the ship, dress shoes for formal nights and hiking shoes for excurisons. Is that overkill? I'd hate to bring so many shoes if I didn't have to--they are heavy and take up a lot of precious luggage space.

Did Alaska last June. Funny thing about it is that the temperature varies a lot! When on deck expect to be cold mainly cause of the wind but as soon as you get below deck prepare to strip down cause the inside is well heated. I also appreciated how the Wonder now has a wind shield on the bow and the outlook addition to Cove Caffe was a great idea too. For the medenhall glacier I don't remember it being that cold but pack warm just in case

This is my Pacific Northwesterner's Packing List:

Light pajamas
Flannel or thermal pajamas
Swimsuit
Appropriate underthings, given age and gender
4 pairs khakis
4 polo shirts
5 pairs socks
a sweater or nice fleece pullover
a 3-in-1 parka
Hat and gloves
Suit, Tux, or dress for formal and semi-formal night
appropriate shoes for dress clothes and dinner

For hiking, I would add:

Comfortable shoes
Jeans
T-shirt
Sweatshirt

This should keep you comfortable in all weather:

If it is super hot:

Khakis, polo shirt, and swimming

If it is terribly cold:

Wear the flannel or thermal pajamas under the sweater or sweatshirt and jeans, the 3-in-1 with the liner zipped in, double the socks, wear the hat and gloves.

If it's as it usually is:

Depending upon how cold you get, wear the polo shirt and the jacket, or the polo shirt, sweater and jacket.

Thanks Mellers! I can always count on you for comprehensive Seattle and Alaska info.
:thumbsup2

Egads! We're sailing to Alaska at the end of the month also. (Not DCL :sad1:) From these posts, it looks like we should dress like we are going skiing. Is it really that cold? I was just planning on rainy weather wear. But thermals and stuff? Gloves? Maybe some handwarmer packs for excurions also? :confused:

I was planning on bringing tennis shoes for the ship, dress shoes for formal nights and hiking shoes for excurisons. Is that overkill? I'd hate to bring so many shoes if I didn't have to--they are heavy and take up a lot of precious luggage space.

I think you could get away with dress shoes and tennis shoes, unless you are hiking on a glacier.

I am totally laughing at all these descriptions of clothing... there's a reason why the Pacific Northwest has a bad rap for fashion, LOL!!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter