clothes to pack for MR advice

mindy327

DIS Veteran
I need some help... For those who may have done the MR what do I pack? Winter clothes or Summer clothes? We are sailing 3/13/11 and I am not familiar with the Mexico outskirts. I was thinking a mix of both but is it necessary? Does it get cold or would a nice cardigan sweater be suffice? I tend to way over pack to be prepared, but if I can minimize a bit that would be greatful. What weather did you Pack for?

March in LA is variable. You'll probably want to bring layers. In March, I'll frequently start the day in long sleeves with a light sweater. By mid-day, I'll have changed into a t-shirt and then will need warmer clothes for evening again. I'm very close to the beach, so this would be your weather on the first day.

Obviously, as you go south it'll get warmer, but I remember it being cool in the evening even in Mexico in late-February, so I'd still bring some warmer stuff for evening.

The answer, in a far too long post then, is layers.

We did the MR cruise in July 2005 (DCL's first year going there) and nearly FROZE TO DEATH a couple of days because it was summer so that's how we packed!! (The days in / out of port were drizzly, windy and in the 50's).:eek: I'd pack some summer stuff and plan for layers & bring a light jacket & a couple of sweatshirts too. Everyone kept saying the "June gloom" had lingered...

We went on a MR cruise in mid-Feb of 2007 and it was quite hot the entire time. A light jacket in the evenings or early mornings was all we needed, most of the time we were in shorts and short sleeved shirts. You never know, so I'd recommend watching the weather forecasts and weather for the couple of weeks before your cruise so you'll be a bit more prepared.

We've found that the first night onboard, and the first day at sea, can be rather chilly. I always want a sweater for dinner, and something warm to wear out on the verandah, or around the ship on that first day. After that, it usually warms up considerably....until the last night heading back, and then it's chilly again.

Aren't they adding heaters on the Wonder to prep for Alaska? I wonder if they will use them on the chillier days of the MR cruises.

We are spending a few days in LA prior to the cruise on 27th Feb, so need to pack for that as well. Somehow think I will be doing some washing somewhere!

Its freezing here in England at the moment, so anything will seem warm to us!

We are spending a few days in LA prior to the cruise on 27th Feb, so need to pack for that as well. Somehow think I will be doing some washing somewhere!

Its freezing here in England at the moment, so anything will seem warm to us!

Weather in LA is so variable that time of year. We could have cold rainy days or be in the 80s. Make sure you check the weather forcast just before you leave.

We've found that the first night onboard, and the first day at sea, can be rather chilly. I always want a sweater for dinner, and something warm to wear out on the verandah, or around the ship on that first day. After that, it usually warms up considerably....until the last night heading back, and then it's chilly again.

What she said!

Also what another posted said....LA the weather changes drastically sometimes. Our Feb. 2006 cruise to MR started off leaving San Pedro in hot 80 degree weather. Mexico was the same...just perfect. We came back and the last sea day was very chilly. Pulled into San Pedro and it was freezing and hailing! What a change in one week!

Weather in LA is so variable that time of year. We could have cold rainy days or be in the 80s. Make sure you check the weather forcast just before you leave.

Thats what worries me, I don't pack light at the best of times, and am concerned am going to have to pack lots of cold clothes and lots of warm clothes. No idea how I am going to fit all our stuff in suitcases!!

Thats what worries me, I don't pack light at the best of times, and am concerned am going to have to pack lots of cold clothes and lots of warm clothes. No idea how I am going to fit all our stuff in suitcases!!

Okay, well first off, we're having some of our coldest days in So Cal right now and the highs are in the 50s and lows in the 40s. I doubt that it is going to be that cold at the end of Feb/early March. You're probably looking at a range from the high 60s to the low 80s in San Pedro. It should be warmer as you head south.

The most important thing is to pack a small umbrella in case of rain. Southern Californians are wimps when it comes to rain. We usually close ourselves inside and wait until it is over. :rotfl: Even Disneyland offered free parking last week during the storms. They are usually busy during the holidays but people probably decided to stay inside and go to the movies instead. :3dglasses

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter