• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Clothes packing for end of Jan

grandma3

Earning My Ears
Going to Disney World the end of January. What do you bring for clothes? If you bring a sweatshirt or light jacket for morning or evening in the parks where do you put it during the day when it warms up?

Depends on where you're coming from and how hot/cold you generally are...

My family went down the first week of February for 18 years...but we come from Upstate NY and usually escape snow and brutal cold.

The 65-70 degree weather felt like spring/summer to us and we wore shorts and t-shirts all day and went swimming in the afternoons. However, as you guessed, you definitely need a coat in the morning and evening. You'll see some Florida residents in heavy coats and mittens though. We always laughed.

The amount of pictures I have with a jacket tied around my waist in front of MK and Epcot is slightly ridiculous. Definitely bring a pair of pants too... maybe a few pairs.

I live here and can say as the PP stated, we FL people freeze below 70 degrees. :-) Since you are in the mid west and have had a pretty cold winter so far this year, think of our Jan as your end of March beginning of April. Usually temps during the day are some where in the 50's - 60's with lows in the 40's to upper 30's. We have had a VERY warm winter so far and it is predicted to be wetter than normal so I'd pack a poncho or two just in case. Normally Jan is pretty dry but the weather is a bit crazy this year.
Temps next week are going to be in the 70's during the day so you might even get to swim! :-) pools are heated at WDW but you won't find us FL people in them.

There are pay lockers in each park if you want to store a jacket. I've done this myself and it was WELL worth it.

I live here and can say as the PP stated, we FL people freeze below 70 degrees. :-) Since you are in the mid west and have had a pretty cold winter so far this year, think of our Jan as your end of March beginning of April. Usually temps during the day are some where in the 50's - 60's with lows in the 40's to upper 30's. We have had a VERY warm winter so far and it is predicted to be wetter than normal so I'd pack a poncho or two just in case. Normally Jan is pretty dry but the weather is a bit crazy this year.
Temps next week are going to be in the 70's during the day so you might even get to swim! :-) pools are heated at WDW but you won't find us FL people in them.

There are pay lockers in each park if you want to store a jacket. I've done this myself and it was WELL worth it.
we are coming from Arizona so we also freeze below 70 degrees! lol we usually layer our clothing because mornings and nights are cooler than afternoons!

I picked up a wind breaker jacket that folds up into it's own pocket for my late February/ early March trip.

It depends where you're coming from. January in Orlando, my family is perfectly comfortable strolling around in shorts and t-shirts and swimming in the resort pools after dark. But we're coming from Pennsylvania. We have a joke that we can spot the Florida natives--they're the ones wearing parkas : ) Seriously though, your best bet is to plan light layers (I'm assuming you're a northerner like me). For a week I'd pack 3 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of shorts, 5 short sleeve t shirts and 2 or 3 hoodies, 3 long sleeve t shirts and three pairs of sweat pants to wear as pajamas and they could double as swimsuit coverups to wear to and from the pool (because we usually need to run the ac to feel comfortable in the room, we sleep cold), and a swimsuit, then revise my selections based on the extended forecast as the day grew nearer. We'd already have our coats because they're kind of a must when you're traveling to the airport in the wee hours of the morning in Pennsylvania this time of year, so if there happened to be a cold snap we'd be covered. We always plan to do laundry while on vacation, so I pack light.

Last week of Jan-most of Feb last year (I'm from MI and lived in Chicago for 7 years, so no stranger to cold!) I wore a light fleece/sweatshirt all day almost every day. There are some days I went without, but overall it wasn't that warm. Even on trips in the summer I bring long sleeves every day because the A/C is so cold in restaurants and longer indoor rides. I either tie it around my waist (take it off for pictures), hang it on my bag strap, or stuff it in my bag.

I say bring layers. We went in late Jan back in 2009 and it was freezing. Had to wear gloves and a scarf. You just never know. Just like this past week we were there. 1/1 was hot enough for shorts and a tank top. Then Sunday was cold and windy. We brought layers this past week and I am glad we did.

Depends on where you're coming from and how hot/cold you generally are...

My family went down the first week of February for 18 years...but we come from Upstate NY and usually escape snow and brutal cold.

The 65-70 degree weather felt like spring/summer to us and we wore shorts and t-shirts all day and went swimming in the afternoons. However, as you guessed, you definitely need a coat in the morning and evening. You'll see some Florida residents in heavy coats and mittens though. We always laughed.

The amount of pictures I have with a jacket tied around my waist in front of MK and Epcot is slightly ridiculous. Definitely bring a pair of pants too... maybe a few pairs.
Not OP, but thanks so much for this info! I am also from upstate NY. My sister lived here for 30 years, moved to north Carolina, has lived there for 12 years. The amount of sweatshirts she owns is crazy! lol. Can't wait to escape the winter freeze! :D Last week of January can't come soon enough!

We just went (2nd week in Jan) and we needed Capri pants,sweatshirts,and jackets. It is all about layering.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter