• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Clothes for Middle School

Thanks to all of you. A lot of great advice here. Will definitely hold off on getting a lot of stuff right now and go with the flow, as I plunge into these uncharted waters of being a parent of a middle schooler. :)

I have 2 middle schoolers. Aeorpostale is my favorite b/c the clothes are of decent quality and there are always sales. Most things do not look too "old" for her. DD is not allowed to shop at Hollister or Abercrombie. I told her she has to be in HS for that. I would get a few tee shirts and a pair of longer shorts in denim that can be worn to school. These can be worn all summer, as well. My DD usually wears jeans, a short sleeve shirt with an aero hoodie in late fall and all winter. Vans and converse are popular shoes. Everything goes on sale all year round, so no need to pre-buy. Girls also wear a cami with spaghetti straps under a short sleeve shirt with the cami hanging lower than the shirt--this is actually a good way to keep wearing some shirts that still fit but are getting too short.

Aeropostale is pretty popular around here with the middle school set. Luckily, it is more budget friendly...lots of coupons...than Abercrombie too.

I would also hold off till after school starts. Good sales and she will definitely wind up asking for whatever the other kids are wearing.;)

These are the 2 stores my 8th grade DD mostly shops at. She's very petite so she has a hard time finding her size in other stores. They're some of the few that carry XXS and 00. She has also gotten some things from Delia's, Charlotte Russe and Limited Express.

Just wanted to add that you should also familiarize yourself with the school dress code. At dd's school shorts and skirts can't be shorter than where her fingertips are while standing straight arms at her sides. My DD sticks to capris and jeans at school.

Just wanted to add that you should also familiarize yourself with the school dress code. At dd's school shorts and skirts can't be shorter than where her fingertips are while standing straight arms at her sides. My DD sticks to capris and jeans at school.

This. Our elementary schools are very lax on a dress code, but once you hit middle school they are very strict! Shorts and skirts must be mid thigh (tough for someone with really long legs like my daughter). Another biggie is no rips or tears or even fake rips or tears above the knee in their jeans. No leggings or yoga pants unless wearing a skirt overtop that is mid thigh. Any tank tops must have straps that are a minimum of three finger widths wide. This includes any shirts worn under another shirt that is mesh or shear in any way. No flipflops or backless shoes either. When we go shopping in the juniors sections and stores it is very difficult to find appropriate clothes.

Every school seems to have different hot things around here, and it's really hard to predict month to month what it will be. And some kids - like my DD (just turned 13) - don't necessarily want what everyone else has, they have their own sense of style. For example, DD likes all of the shirts with lace out right now, and hates Tshirts from Aeropostale. About the only shoes she likes to wear are Converse, not Toms, although Toms are very popular with many other kids. And it goes on and on.

So I wouldn't buy a whole lot right now, maybe just a few basics. While it is tempting to shop ahead to "save", you very well could end up spending a bunch of money on things your DD won't want to wear at all. Take it from me - even if she swears she LOVES it today, tomorrow she may very well HATE it. Ah, the joys of parenting!! :rotfl:

On that note, ( the lace) OP be careful, I am in Florida and in our school system, these shirts are not allowed, YES IT IS STUPID. The kids can't even wear them with a cami underneath, and no amount of lace what so ever. Also no flip flops or any shoes without a back on them.

Thankfully DD is going into HS next year where common sense seems to prevail. I swear I hate their dress codes, it goes way beyond any type of common sense.

My DD13 is finishing eighth grade, and her school has uniforms. Kids can wear jeans or khakis, but the girls almost all wear skinny jeans (DD says "no one" wears khakis.). DD usually gets her jeans from Old Navy, but her friends also like American Eagle. Their jeans can't have holes, so that makes it harder to find appropriate ones at the trendier stores.

DD liked Aero in sixth grade, but she doesn't shop there anymore. She likes Forever 21, Delias and the juniors section of department stores like Macy's and Nordstrom.

For shoes, the kids here wear Rainbows, Toms, Uggs, and Vans. DD wants Jack Rogers, but she will be buying those herself. :)

Before you buy anything, get a copy of the school dress code (as mentioned earlier)...when you go pick it ask if any changes are proposed. Read it asap, then call and ask any questions you may have (sometimes they are not too clear).

I love bermudas for my girls because they pass the school dress code test and they fit all year, the short or regular shorts often are too short if they grow an inch. I had trouble finding them too but did find some at old navy and jcp in the last week.

I have found that even if I do find bermudas, without any fake tears or holes in them, which is a task in itself. DD will not wear them, because they are not cool, hence the jean capris and jeans. She likes aeropostale, but loves her Miss Me jeans.

I have found that even if I do find bermudas, without any fake tears or holes in them, which is a task in itself. DD will not wear them, because they are not cool, hence the jean capris and jeans. She likes aeropostale, but loves her Miss Me jeans.

DD is still pretty young, but she's been a rebel just about since birth, so I'm hopeful that "cool" isn't going to matter to her as much as it might do once she reaches that age. One thing she absolutely will not wear is capris; she wants her stuff either above her knee or on her shoes; nothing in-between is acceptable, LOL. Very much a tomboy and a different drummer kind of kid when it comes to clothes.

I guess that she comes by this naturally. DS16 mostly dresses like he's headed out for a desert trek (except when the occasion calls for a suit -- he loves wearing suits), but he's very much an indoor person, a gamer. He hates jeans, loves polos and Hawaiian shirts, wears a Fedora most of the time, and won't wear sneakers at any time except gym class.

Wow, all the middle schools around here require uniforms: nothing fancy, but khaki bottoms (no capris or shorts) and either a completely plain polo (no logos or colored trim) or a shirt with the school name and theme on it. Sooooo much easier on the parents!

My oldest will be a freshman in August - I have the same questions you do, but with regard to dressing and undersized Aspie boy for HS. I've got to find a way to convince him he won't like the reaction if he shows up in Lego themed tees...

Totally agree with this not only do I have a middle schooler I work there as well and we bought alot of leggings at the start of last yr an she could not wear them unless the shirt she was wearing was long an covered her bottom

My daughter is just finishing her first year in middle school (6th grade). None of the girls will even step foot in Justice anymore! .

Yes Justice is OUT once they hit 6th grade and Jr High school- even if the kids start school wearing Justice in a short time they stop! Its hard finding clothes for my 13 year old because as much as she wants to wear Aero jeans and Mandee and Forever 21 she just doesn't fit into them- she still wears size 10 kids jeans LOL, een the 00 in aero are to big on her. She starts high school in Sept and is hoping for a growth spurt so she can actually were clothes not made for little children!

12 yo granddaughter is finishing up 6th grade. She wears a lot of aeropostale shirts, skinny jeans (any brand), flip flops, flats, canvas sneaks in various colors. boots in the winter Her school has a rule-nothing shorter than her fingertips with arms straight, this is different than the elementary school as they can wear shorts there.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

My DD17 will be a senior next year so I have no idea what middle schoolers wear. If your DD doesn't know what she and her friends will wear then I agree that you should go to a "name" store- Abercrombie, Hollister, even AE and buy one outfit- jeans and a cute t or top. Then shop for more once she knows what's in. My DD has loved and worn Toms since they came out. She loves them but they sure don't last. Here, the shoes that last and are worn by many are Sperrys and Vans.

My one further comment would be- if she has to change for gym, ditch the little girl underwear and get her some Pink or Aerie.

High School gets easier as they all seem to develop their own style and while there are stores they prefer, they dislike clothes that have a visible name or label. They prefer that you can't immediatly tell where that great outfit came from.

Yes Justice is OUT once they hit 6th grade and Jr High school- even if the kids start school wearing Justice in a short time they stop! Its hard finding clothes for my 13 year old because as much as she wants to wear Aero jeans and Mandee and Forever 21 she just doesn't fit into them- she still wears size 10 kids jeans LOL, een the 00 in aero are to big on her. She starts high school in Sept and is hoping for a growth spurt so she can actually were clothes not made for little children!

Try Pac Sun- not as 'in' but acceptable and my skinny 6th grader could wear their 00 and xs before she could find things at the other teen stores. Around here PacSun was little cooler than Aeropostale- neither are worn by high school but used to be fine in middle school (not sure now) but since you mention Aero I assume Pacsun would still be fine for that age group.

Wow, all the middle schools around here require uniforms: nothing fancy, but khaki bottoms (no capris or shorts) and either a completely plain polo (no logos or colored trim) or a shirt with the school name and theme on it. Sooooo much easier on the parents!

I WISH the schools around here required the khaki/polo combo! It's such a pain in the neck with the clothing! And an expensive pain in the neck!

My daughter started public school in 5th grade (after I took her out of parochial school). Now, I hate the parochial school (OOOOGLY) uniforms but I think the khaki/polo thing would be much easier on everyone.

She's in HS now..... only 3 years to go until college!

My DD14 is just finishing middle school and will be heading into HS this fall.

My DD is very athletic and hangs out with mainly her soccer/track friends. The last two years she finally started wearing jeans (Old Navy). Otherwise it is all about the athletic shorts (UA, Nike, Adidas, etc. - found at Ross and TJ Maxx) and school/athletic T's and sweatshirts.

This year she asked for Toms and Sperry shoes. She is quite the shoe diva, however for her it is all about the athletic (expensive) shoes. This is where she spends most of her money.

I am not sure what high school will bring, but it can't be more expensive than this stuff. She absolutely abhors A&F and Hollister.

Dd did...Elementary: Children's Place Middle: Aereopostle High: Hollister. She is a tiny thing, and literally wore CP jeans all through middle school because nothing else fit her! :rotfl: She finally moved into Hollister jeans for high school. For shoes she likes Sperry's, Nike, Tom's and Uggs.

I will say that both of my girls didn't care where any of their bottoms came from. They did like the name brand tops, and I was fine that with. Dd#1 never cared about brands period....but dd#2 does care. I don't mind though because she barely grows so she wears her clothes for years and years and knows how to shops sales!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter