Closest DVC resort to universal?

canadiandisneymommy

Mouseketeer
We are planning on going to universal studios. What are the closest dvc resorts to universal? Planning on taking a taxi and trying to minimize the cost.

None are close. The closest to access the interstate and head that way are OKW and SSR. But cab fare there will be hefty, no matter where you stay.

We stayed at SSR when we went to Universal, but we had a car. It was about a 20 minute drive up I-4 from the Paddock pool area of the resort.

We are planning on going to universal studios. What are the closest dvc resorts to universal? Planning on taking a taxi and trying to minimize the cost.

As OP have said, nothing is close. If you want to save money, take the city bus to Universal. Call them to see which buses you need to take or look online. When I researched this a couple of years ago, I believe it would have taken me two buses and about 1.5 hours to get there. You should be able to pick up the bus across the street from DTD. I believe you changed buses at Sea World. I was game, but when I looked at the daily prices for Universal with front of the line access I nixed it. Another option may be to rent a car for a day or two from the Car Care Center at MK. You can also see if Grayline runs a bus to Universal. I know they do one to BG Tampa. I agree that a taxi ride is going to be very expensive! Good luck.

IMHO, you should plan on cancelling the stays at DVC for the days you go to US/IoA and book on-site hotel stays on US/IoA property. All guests staying at US/IoA hotels get free front of the line passes starting on check-in day through checkout night. That alone can make a big difference to how to travel/enjoy those parks.

My sister and her family just returned last week from WDW. While staying at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge, they took a taxi from VWL to Universal. The fare was $45 one way and it took about 25 minutes to get to Universal's Royal Pacific Hotel.

I prefer using a personal transportation service for trips to and from US from WDW. For two years, we have used Tony Hinds transportation service. Our fee this year was $90 round trip.
Tony is superb! He is always early and flexible. He just asked that we give him an 1 1/2 hr - 2 hr notice before we wanted to be picked up from US for the ride back and that was easy to do.
Very friendly and gives pointers along the way too.
He actually picked us up from our Disney resort at 6:30 am (our choice) in order to get to US hotel early and check in by 7 am. Then we were at the parks before opening at 8 am for Harry Potter.
We chose not to check out of our Disney resort during that time, but spent one night at US in order to have FOTL access, so had two days actually in the US parks on FOTL for only the one-night stay.
We simply took a small bag for all of us for the one night and our hotel room was actually ready at 7 am upon check-in!

If you check out the Transportation board, you will see more recommendations for Tony!

I prefer using a personal transportation service for trips to and from US from WDW. For two years, we have used Tony Hinds transportation service. Our fee this year was $90 round trip. Tony is superb! He is always early and flexible. He just asked that we give him an 1 1/2 hr - 2 hr notice before we wanted to be picked up from US for the ride back and that was easy to do. Very friendly and gives pointers along the way too. He actually picked us up from our Disney resort at 6:30 am (our choice) in order to get to US hotel early and check in by 7 am. Then we were at the parks before opening at 8 am for Harry Potter. We chose not to check out of our Disney resort during that time, but spent one night at US in order to have FOTL access, so had two days actually in the US parks on FOTL for only the one-night stay. We simply took a small bag for all of us for the one night and our hotel room was actually ready at 7 am upon check-in! If you check out the Transportation board, you will see more recommendations for Tony!

That's an interesting idea. Will definitely consider this for fotl access.

I agree w com op 2000. If you are going to do universal I would recommend staying on site especially if you are going during a crowded time. The free express pass is like gold because the lines at US are horrible, especially IoA! if you stay off site it's over $80 per person for express pass maybe more!! If you have express pass you can do each park in one day, assuming you enter early for HP because that's not included in express pass. We stayed at lowes Royal Pacific for 3 nights with tix for 2 adults 2 children and an infant for $1150 through triple A. The royal pacific was pretty nice and short walk to both parks. The only neg is universal hotels charge you for parking $18 per day.

I'd just rent a car. You can get a car for a few days for less then $100
I often suggest this, middle of the trip, get a car at the onsite Alamo/National site at the Car Care Center (there are also other options), use it for the days you want to travel offsite, then return it onsite, you won't lose DME service back to the airport.

The only downside - don't forget to include parking fees at Universal in your budget.

IMHO, you should plan on cancelling the stays at DVC for the days you go to US/IoA and book on-site hotel stays on US/IoA property. All guests staying at US/IoA hotels get free front of the line passes starting on check-in day through checkout night. That alone can make a big difference to how to travel/enjoy those parks.

I totally agree, though it's important to note that it's the 3 Deluxe hotels at Universal that get Unlimited Express Pass. Cabana Bay does not have this as part of staying there.

We chose not to check out of our Disney resort during that time, but spent one night at US in order to have FOTL access, so had two days actually in the US parks on FOTL for only the one-night stay.

Also a good idea, if you don't want to pack up everything for a full move.

I agree w com op 2000. If you are going to do universal I would recommend staying on site especially if you are going during a crowded time. The free express pass is like gold because the lines at US are horrible, especially IoA! if you stay off site it's over $80 per person for express pass maybe more!! If you have express pass you can do each park in one day, assuming you enter early for HP because that's not included in express pass.

FWIW the EP isn't always that much. It varies based on how far away you buy it from your trip, and what sort of crowds they are expecting.

The EP works for Flight of the Hippogriff and for Dragon Challenge, by the way. Doesn't work for Forbidden Journey or Ollivander's Wand Shop. So it does work for half of the attractions in IOA's Wizarding World.

Nice thing about the EP included with an onsite, deluxe, stay, is that it's unlimited.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter