(CLOSED) The Smoking DSA's @ Resorts Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how these areas are set up? Are they half way decent areas? We are staying at the Boardwalk in January, and it is hard to figure out how they are set up. Right now it looks like they are right under rooms. I am not a smoker, but many people I know smoke and I truly believe everyone has rights. I don't want to be in a room above the area though. It is just so hard to picture how this is all set up.

What would would they be 'recovering" if you smoked on a balconey. I wouldn't smoke in a room but fail to see what harm smoking on the balconey ALONE ,not puffing when people are walking past , it's the same air as in the DSA. I fully agree if people are walking by on the balcony it could be a problem, but I smoked in the early a.m on the balcony before even Mousekeeping arrived and saw no one. so maybe I'll just offer up the $$ ahead of time!!

On our stay at Pop Century last month, we had a non-smoking room in a non-smoking building. I don't know how, but when people were smoking on the outdoor walkway, it seeped into our room.
Karla B.

Yep, that's exactly what happens - at least at the mods. Our NS room absolutely filled up with smoke on Day 3 and we couldn't figure out why until I walked out the door. Our next-door neighbor was smoking just outside his door and the smoke was being sucked into the air intake for our AC. My DS suffers from asthma and had to use his emergency inhaler.

PLEASE, please keep your fellow guests in mind when considering where you'll smoke! :flower3:

My Uncle and cousins stayed at the AKL from 6/08 - 6/12. I asked him how far he had to go to smoke, and he said he just smoked on the balcony. He wasn't charged $250. I thought they would be monitoring those balconies more because of the animals?

when he checked in did they tell him about the no smoking policy
You would think that it would be everywhere

Earlier this week I sent an email to WDW Customer relations regarding the smoking policy, and most specifically, the DSAs.

The gist was that I was paying a small fortune to stay at the Poly on the premium plan and it appeared the DSA, while plentiful, were out in the open and subject to the elements and that their guests were being subject to rain and lightening.

I also said that after dozens of trips to the Poly, this most likely would be our last trip.

Here's the reply I received, which, essentially, is the press release they made last month.

Thank you for writing to the Walt Disney World® Resort.

We appreciate being made aware of your thoughts regarding our smoking
policies. Due to lack of demand for smoking rooms at our resorts, and
an increase in demand for non-smoking rooms, the number of rooms set
aside for smoking has been gradually declining over the years.
Therefore, all Disney-owned and operated hotels at the Walt Disney
World® Resort have become smoke-free. Smoking is prohibited in Guest
rooms (including the patio or balcony), restaurants, ballrooms, and all
other indoor and outdoor common areas. This allows us to better serve
our Guests and their requests for non-smoking accommodations. For our
Guests who wish to smoke, we will have designated smoking areas
throughout the Resort for their convenience.

If you would like to discuss your comments further, you may call me at
xxxxxxxxxx If I am not immediately available when you call, please
leave your telephone number and an indication of the best time to reach
you.

Thank you again for writing. We hope to have future opportunities to
entertain you.

No, I have not called yet. I got the email yesterday.

If I can get to it, I will call today and ask for a comment regarding standing out in the rain with the possibility of lightening.

Depending upon when you're going, not only could it be an issue, it will be an issue in the summer months.

I've been there plenty of times in the summer months to know to expect the daily afternoon rain shower. Sometimes it's a doozy of the thundrestorm.

In either case, the DSAs are not covered, appear not to have seating, and are subject to weather conditions, the worst of which is lightening.

I just called an left a message.

This is the reply I got a couple of days ago when I e-mailed DVC about the DSA's poolside. I have edited the name out of the CM who replied to me..smjj

Hello xxxxxx Family,

Thank you for contacting Disney Vacation Club.

We appreciate your comments regarding our new smoking policy. Our
company is proud of its reputation for providing the finest in family
entertainment and guest service, and it is always rewarding when our
Members share their compliments.

There are designated smoking areas located at each pool, however
smoking
out in the open in the pool area is not permitted. If at any time you
come across a guest/member who is smoking in the pool area, not in a
designated smoking area please bring that to the attention of a Cast
Member to handle immediately. As with all new policies it will take
some
reinforcing on everyone's part, however we are committed to following
through.

It has truly been a pleasure hearing from you. We are glad you are a
part of our Disney Vacation Club family, and we look forward to
entertaining you for years to come.

Sincerely

Just as an FYI, I checked into SSR on 6/7 and there was not one word said to me about smoking by the check in person. I saw no signs for a DSA. In fact, at the entrance to our building there were three ashtrays within a 15 square foot area and saw smokers there several times. I can't imagine that would be a DSA as it's the main path into the building/room area and elevators. I'm a smoker so I used this area but would try to walk away if other guests were there.

There were often bell, housekeeping or other staff going past and no one said word one about not smoking there.

Anybody recently back from WL who can make a room recommendation? DSO is a smoker and if I can make a room request that would put her near a DSA that would be fab. We have a courtyard/bunk bed reservation so I'm not sure what kind of request to make.

Yep, that's exactly what happens - at least at the mods. Our NS room absolutely filled up with smoke on Day 3 and we couldn't figure out why until I walked out the door. Our next-door neighbor was smoking just outside his door and the smoke was being sucked into the air intake for our AC. My DS suffers from asthma and had to use his emergency inhaler.

PLEASE, please keep your fellow guests in mind when considering where you'll smoke! :flower3:

I'm assuming this was during your early May trip. Since June 1 smoking is only allowed in the DSAs at all resorts - so you should not encounter this situation any longer.

Please everyone keep in mind this thread is to discuss the DSAs and the new policy at Disney, it is not for chastising smokers or for making judgements.

As stated we are watching this topic very closely and will respond swiftly if this goes south on us.

TIA!

We just returned from the All Star Music Resort. There is an ashtray can next to the front door coming from check-in parking (near the bus stops). Another DSA is located to the right of the door leading from the main building to the pool area. There is an ash tray right next to the door with no seating. A little futher down the sidewalk is one bench with an ash tray can next to it. As you walk down the center of the resort, just past the fountain courtyard and to the left is one bench with an ashtray can next to it. In the back of the resort, outside a fenced in picnic area is one ashtray can - no bench. All areas are uncovered and in full sun :sunny: (or rain:umbrella: ). We were not advised of any change in policy before we arrived, at check-in, or during our stay. DSAs were not on the maps we were given at check-in. We had originally made a request for a smoking room near the main building. When I found out about the policy change I asked for a room near a DSA and the main building. None of our requests were honored. We were on the ground floor however. People were generally just smoking outside. DSAs were not marked by anything but the "special" can. I hope this helps!

I checked in on May 28th and out on June 9th, not once was I ever told of the new policy, I am not a smoker, but DH is. We were given a smoking room too! Funny thing was, the room did have a faint smell of smoke, but no ashtray's. My DH never smokes in the room anyway because I do not like the smoke going up my nose :eek: He did smoke outside by the stairwell with his little cup for an ash tray. We were on the 3rd floor and our room was close to it. Not many people walked near there. On May 30th the No Smoking signs were put on the doors and my DD didn't realize it when she put her key card in the slot and somehow sliced her finger on the corner of the sign :sad2: That was how we knew they were put up. Still nothing was ever said about the no smoking. My DH only staying for 5 days and was never in violation of smoking where he wasn't suppose to, it was still legal to smoke by that stairwell, all the 3rd floor was smoking at that point.. but had he been, they never did officially inform us (other than the sign going up on the door). We did know about it from these boards and hearing it on the news. There were no signs anywhere telling you where the DSA's were. I saw a guy smoking in the bushes behind the small shack area near the pool (we were at the Sports) :confused: In a way I felt bad for him, he didn't know where to go, but on the same token, FL is in dry season still and he could have started a fire. I fell Disney did not prepare correctly for this change. They set the date and that was it, did not set the area or inform the guest where they could smoke. There was one guy that had his chair out in the front of his room smoking, he was on the first floor and people were walking past him. I hope they have more signs in place now as the resorts get more crowded with summer starting in full swing :scared1: I would hate to see a brush fire from a smoker that is trying not to get caught.....:sad2:

I was looking at the map of the designated smoking areas at the WL. There don't seem to many at all. Are any of these under cover, or near the pool area?

The smoking areas at the WL are several umbrella tables behind the pool bar towards the beach.....a very relaxing spot but a little bit of a walk.

There are also 3 benches along the end of the building off of the sidewalk towards the bus stop, just past the arcade......fairly close to the elevators and covered.

The third spot is in the villa area and we never ventured that far so I can't comment on that one.

We did find out that although there is an ash tray next to the front door that is not a DSA...as DH was politely told he could not smoke there and that was just for arriving guests to extinguish their smokes......the cast member that told of this was very nice and said he completely understood our thinking that it was a DSA since there was an ashtray. He said hopefully signs will be posted soon.

Overall DH didn't have a problem using the DSA's as the spots were clean and comfy.

The smoking areas at the WL are several umbrella tables behind the pool bar towards the beach.....a very relaxing spot but a little bit of a walk.

There are also 3 benches along the end of the building off of the sidewalk towards the bus stop, just past the arcade......fairly close to the elevators and covered.

The third spot is in the villa area and we never ventured that far so I can't comment on that one.

[...]

Overall DH didn't have a problem using the DSA's as the spots were clean and comfy.

Thank you for the report on WL! :goodvibes

It will be interesting to see if Disney stays with this policy. When we stayed at the Cocoa Beach Hilton in February we were given a smoking room but upon entering the room found all sorts of "no smoking" signs. When I called guest services I was told that the hotel had gone non-smoking a few months before only to learn that under Florida law they had to keep a certain percentage of rooms available for smokers (I believe he said 15%). They just hadn't finished removing all the "no smoking" signs in the rooms that were being re-designated as smoking rooms.

Maybe this law doesn't affect Disney for some reason.

It will be interesting to see if Disney stays with this policy. When we stayed at the Cocoa Beach Hilton in February we were given a smoking room but upon entering the room found all sorts of "no smoking" signs. When I called guest services I was told that the hotel had gone non-smoking a few months before only to learn that under Florida law they had to keep a certain percentage of rooms available for smokers (I believe he said 15%). They just hadn't finished removing all the "no smoking" signs in the rooms that were being re-designated as smoking rooms.

Maybe this law doesn't affect Disney for some reason.

Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter