• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

(CLOSED) The Smoking DSA's @ Resorts Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a regular poster on the Resorts board but I wanted to post that you need to stress when you check in about the room needing to be a former non smoking room when you check in, if that matters to you.

We stayed at OKW this past weekend for a long weekend. The first room we were in had not yet been cleaned. The beds were not made, the towels were on the floor, and there were dirty diapers in the trash. I called to the front desk to ask what to do. I was asked repeatedly, if the room had been cleaned, just not to my satisfaction. I answered repeatedly - the beds have not been made, the towels are on the floor and the trash has not been emptied. Finally, someone believed me and I was told to come to the front desk for a new room. We went and got the new room and went to that one, it was the closest room you could get to the turtle pond pool. Very nice location! However, it was a former smoking room. It smelled really bad. I was not about to ask for another room at this point!!! So, we just stayed in it. When we got home on Sunday night, I had to rewash all of the clothes we had not worn because they stunk.

I only say this because someone who has allergies may have huge problems in a room like this. Thankfully, my husband and I were fine, it just smelled. I kept spraying body spray (all I had to use) and it would help for a little bit, but when you would come back into the room from being gone - it would stink all over again.

Is THIS situation. We have to have a NS room due to a medical condition and our reservation has always been marked that way and never been a problem. Now that the whole resort is non smoking, should I have my reservation flagged as "must be formerly nonsmoking room" due to medical condition or just deal with it upon checkin?

hmmmm. interesting.

We just got back from WDW and the WLV and I asked at check in about this very thing. When we arrived at our room, I was not pleased to see non-smoking signs that didnt look like the ones we'd always seen everywhere else. But my freakishly sensative nose seemed alright with the place. I was thinking that they had done an excellent job cleaning up a former smoking room...but maybe not. Maybe that resort has different signs then elsewhere.

Semi - off topic --
When you check in and your room smells like smoke, call the front desk. They have a machine that they will bring to the room that sucks out all of the air. It is called an ozone machine, and it takes about an hour to work. I had to use it in a room that I had earlier in the year.

It literally takes all the air out of the room. When you re-enter the room, the outside "fresh" air comes in with you.

NEVER stay in the room while the machine is on. There have been cases where people have come back to the room while the machine is running, lied down to take a nap, and never woken up. They basically suffocated due to lack of air.

With all that said ... that little machine works wonders!

Semi - off topic --
When you check in and your room smells like smoke, call the front desk. They have a machine that they will bring to the room that sucks out all of the air. It is called an ozone machine, and it takes about an hour to work. I had to use it in a room that I had earlier in the year.

It literally takes all the air out of the room. When you re-enter the room, the outside "fresh" air comes in with you.

NEVER stay in the room while the machine is on. There have been cases where people have come back to the room while the machine is running, lied down to take a nap, and never woken up. They basically suffocated due to lack of air.

I was once in a Westin (Before they went non smoking) and they brought one of these "little machines" in - It didn't work. The room still reeked when I returned.

Semi - off topic --

A note to all asthmatics:

As a fellow sufferer, I just read this note about the ozone machine and it immediately set off CRITICAL bells ringing for me. I once had one of these gizmos and, not only did it cause MAJOR reactions for me when it was running, but, the residual ozone in the air STILL caused me no end of breathing difficulties & grief. If you are reactive to ozone, make sure that you tell the front desk not only about the smoke, but that the ozone generating machine may cause you to have EVEN MORE problems and that they HAVE to find you a room that doesn't have the smell of smoke in it.

People may debate the position Disney has on a variety of topics, but one thing that Disney definitely does NOT want to have to deal with is causing injury of one of their guests when it is DOCUMENTED as being avoidable!

Enjoy the Magic, but be careful so you CAN enjoy the magic!

Does anyone know what the former smoking buildings at the POP were? I have severe asthma and I know there is no way a smoking room can be turned into a nonsmoking room in such a short time unless you tear the walls out, get rid of carpet/drapes/mattress/possibly furniture, etc. In other words, gut the room. For asthmatics, it's not the just the smell that triggers an attack.

I'd rather avoid former smoking rooms altogether and I'm checking in during a busy time, so changing rooms may not be an option. I would like to get it right the first time. Of course, I've mentioned the medical necessity of an "always nonsmoking room" on my reservation, but I'd just as soon have those building numbers stored away in my head for reference at check-in.

Thanks.:goodvibes

There was not a smoking building at Pop, but rather smoking floors. The 4th floor in the first building was smoking and the 3rd and 4th floors in the ninth building were smoking.

There was not a smoking building at Pop, but rather smoking floors. The 4th floor in the first building was smoking and the 3rd and 4th floors in the ninth building were smoking.

That is very helpful and I'm sorry to pester, but what do those building numbers correlate to? My POP map only lists them by decade and gives room numbers, such as the "Lady" building being a '50s building with rooms 1101-1472. If you could help me identify them, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

why dont you call pop. Im sure they could tell you what rooms to ask for? Im sure they could help you out.

why dont you call pop. Im sure they could tell you what rooms to ask for? Im sure they could help you out.

Tried that. They acted clueless. :confused3 Kept repeating the mantra, "It's ALL nonsmoking NOW...." I don't think they got it. :headache:

That is very helpful and I'm sorry to pester, but what do those building numbers correlate to? My POP map only lists them by decade and gives room numbers, such as the "Lady" building being a '50s building with rooms 1101-1472. If you could help me identify them, I'd really appreciate it.

Ahhhh np... happy to help if I can. The room numbers correlate to this: First # is the building, second is floor and third and fourth #'s are the actual room number. :)

Hi all. Question for fellow smokers with kiddos - are you going to take your kids with you to the DSAs or what? I like to do trips with each of my kids one-on-one, and would be very afraid to leave them in the room while I run smoke, even if I can see the door...on the other hand, I don't want to necessarily drag them with me every time I need to smoke. Besides the obvious answer of quitting altogether ;) , what can I do?

Ok I really never thought of this before. I have tried to quit before our upcoming trip in a week!!! I am travelling with another single parent, but we are separate rooms. I don't know what I will do in the evening if I want to leave the room to have a smoke. :confused3 I guess I will just have one on the way back to the room after we get off the buses and not have another one we leave in the morning :scared: SD would not be ok with me leaving him in the room, not sure I would be either... don't know what i will do

Stephanie

That's PERFECT!!! Thanks so much!!!! :thumbsup2

Ahhhh np... happy to help if I can. The room numbers correlate to this: First # is the building, second is floor and third and fourth #'s are the actual room number. :)

Tried that. They acted clueless. :confused3 Kept repeating the mantra, "It's ALL nonsmoking NOW...." I don't think they got it. :headache:

Ah, gee, I thought I posted this the other day, but... go to the "Groovy New Pop Century FAQ" thread. Go to page 79. There's a post there that tells which buildings had (at the time, i.e. prior to the new policy) smoking-optional rooms. If it's not page 79, go backwards - it won't be any earlier than page 76.

That is a huge help. I'm not a slacker, but I admit I had not slogged through 79 pages of POP FAQs. :rotfl2: Thanks for the hint.

Ah, gee, I thought I posted this the other day, but... go to the "Groovy New Pop Century FAQ" thread. Go to page 79. There's a post there that tells which buildings had (at the time, i.e. prior to the new policy) smoking-optional rooms. If it's not page 79, go backwards - it won't be any earlier than page 76.

Hello to all and many thanks for this great thread with all the helpful info. I stumbled on this site while researching my smoking options during our upcoming trip in Nov. and I had to join. This is a terrific place.
Have been to WDW many times and have to say I was not happy to hear of the resorts new smoking policy. But that's not gonna stop me from going!
The updated resort maps are a big help. Thought I would pass along some info I found on a WDW resorts review site. They state that smoking is permitted on the porches of the Fort Wilderness cabins and at the campsites, along with the usual DSAs. I have stayed there before and the cabins are a pretty good distance from each other and I can see how that could be possible. Does anyone out there know if this is true? If so, then FW here I come!

They state that smoking is permitted on the porches of the Fort Wilderness cabins and at the campsites, along with the usual DSAs. I have stayed there before and the cabins are a pretty good distance from each other and I can see how that could be possible. Does anyone out there know if this is true? If so, then FW here I come!

Yes, that is correct. I got an email from WDW guest relations stating the same thing and spoke with the Ft. Wilderness manager and was quoted the same thing. :-)

Just got back from WL and while I was disappointed in the DSA's, they weren't that bad. We stayed in the main building, so the DSA just outside or the arcade worked nice. If DH was napping and didn't want to watch the kids while I smoked, I bribed the kids with the arcade and I went to smoke, that was a good 15 minutes alone.

In the mornings, I would go to RF, get my coffee and head out to behind the pool bar, by the beach and smoke over there, at least there are tables with umbrella there.

Funny story about smoking one night.....we were all getting off the bus from MK's EMH, it was about 2a. So all the non smokers took the children and the smokers settled into the smoking area....well one man decides to join his wife (she smokes, he doesn't), he gets into the tight little area and starts doing coughs and waving his hand in front of his face to shoo the smoke away.

There was a big burly kinda guy who was smoking and not having a magical day, who started screaming at this guy to get the heck out of the smoking area if you are going to act like that. All the smokers started laughing and said no non-smokers are allowed here, just like we can't smoke in your section, you have to smoke in ours. So either smoke and get out was the message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter