• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

(CLOSED) Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE and VILLAS Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this in the Fort Wilderness section, but I was curious if anyone here might know the answer.

I would like to book one of these and curious about transportation to Ft Wilderness from WL. I know that the boat is available, however if we chose to use the bus, is there one that goes from WL to FW? If so, are you dropped off at the front of FW or does the bus go all the way to the back of FW where they leave from, which is Crockett's Tavern I believe. Are the FW buses an "internal" bus system? It is our anniversary and want to do something special.

The bus to FW will drop you off at the check-in or 'outpost'. The bus that goes to Crockett's is an internal FW bus, so you would have to switch buses to get to the marina. The boat ride is quicker and more relaxing IMO.

The bus to FW will drop you off at the check-in or 'outpost'. The bus that goes to Crockett's is an internal FW bus, so you would have to switch buses to get to the marina. The boat ride is quicker and more relaxing IMO.

Thanks for the info!! I thought that would be the case. We will be going in January and I was thinking "Gosh the boat might be cold", but then "DUH, Janet you will be out in the open in a carriage, does it really matter?" :rotfl:

We were at VWL 9/9-9/16 and I was hoping the boat would be a convenient way to get to MK for rope drop, but it didn't seem to be the right choice for us. We watched a boat leave when we arrived at the dock at 8:20 on 9/14. No problem as we had plenty of time, but I noticed the line behind us on the dock kept growing longer as we waited. Nothing came for 30 minutes and I was glad to see it wasn't the little launch. But I was very disappointed for the dozen people who could not fit on the boat after such a long wait. We arrived at the MK dock at 9:10. Maybe I was overly optimistic, but I really thought there would be better morning service for park openings.
While we never did RD, while we were last there in July/August, the bus to the MK was actually much faster and less crowded than the boat. It went directly to the MK and was never even close to full (but, again, we never did RD).

In fact, one day we tried to take the boat from the CR to the WL and we had waited 30 mins. and still no boat had come. We were tired and impatient, (well, we're always a little impatient:laughing:) so we decided to walk to the MK and take the bus back to the WL. We arrived at WL BEFORE a man who had been waiting with us at the dock arrived by boat. We saw him come off the WL dock after we had already gotten up to the CL lounge:sad2:

We are giving family 2 studios to celebrate my niece's graduation so we willl be meeting them at the Boardwalk (I thought that would be the best hotel for a soon to be HS graduate). So we will do all MK stuff the 2 days prior to family arrival and then we will be doing a lot of Epcot time :)...I have to get those gray goose slushies from France as much as I can!!!:rotfl:. I am just so excited to get some WL time though. My only other stay was solo last Feb. and I fell in love :lovestruc...it was a great place for a solo trip to rejuvenate and be ready to be mom again.

I guess you will have to try Poly again another time...or maybe not:laughing:
Poly? Again? Meh. I still have too many "issues" with the Poly from our last stay, but I won't get into all that here...

Your trip sounds so sweet. Our DD is only in 8th grade, but I still have thought about what we might do for her graduation. Your gift is just wonderful and they'll remember it forever:thumbsup2

I finally decided and booked the WL with a courtyard view today for March 1-11. Can anyone tell me if the rooms that overlook the courtyard yet open up to the lobby are very popular? I love the ambiance of the lobby, but not sure if it will be too noisy.

houndmom
Yes, the "bear-face rooms" are popular, but don't hesitate to request one. But, instead of "bear face room" (a DIS term) you should request an "Inner courtyard room off the lobby."

We are finally going to stay at the Villas at WL! :cool1: We own at BCV and every time we hit the seven month point, we try to get into a different DVC property (not that we don't like BCV, but we want to stay in all of them, only BWV and AKV to go!). Now we just have to wait until May. :headache: Can't wait for that first boat ride to MK.:yay:
May will be here before you know it! Have a great stay at VWL!

Cool! Excited to see what this thread. save it
2.gif

Will I be able to take the boat from MK after evening EMH? Or do I have to do the bus? I think I am confusing the boat hours with the monorail :confused3 Sorry if this has been asked and I missed the answer. I have been very busy changing resorts :rotfl: My DME tags still say WL so it's all good :lovestruc

Thanks!

I finally decided and booked the WL with a courtyard view today for March 1-11. Can anyone tell me if the rooms that overlook the courtyard yet open up to the lobby are very popular? I love the ambiance of the lobby, but not sure if it will be too noisy.

houndmom

A courtyard view does include the rooms facing the Villas. We had a courtyard view and that was our view. At first we were very unhappy but quickly became in love with the view. It was very quiet and was what led us to purchase our DVC points at VWL.

Can someone tell me if the Villas have their own washer and drier inside the unit, or if we have to share laundry facilities?

also, I saw in one of my guidebooks that there are Grand Villas that sleep up to 12 people! Anyone know anything about one of those?

Thanks in advance! :lovestruc

I'm trying to decide if I should be crazy and book WL for my solo trip the week after Thanksgiving in 2012.

When I go solo, I try to stay at a moderate but I think WL would be so beautiful all decked out in it's Christmas finery.

Should I be a good steward of my money and book a moderate or should I go crazy and book WL?

Can someone tell me if the Villas have their own washer and drier inside the unit, or if we have to share laundry facilities?

also, I saw in one of my guidebooks that there are Grand Villas that sleep up to 12 people! Anyone know anything about one of those?

The one and two bedroom have their own W&D. A studio, you need to go down to the first floor. There is a laundry room with room key access.

VWL, someone correct me if I'm wrong does not have any Grand Villas.

I'm trying to decide if I should be crazy and book WL for my solo trip the week after Thanksgiving in 2012.

When I go solo, I try to stay at a moderate but I think WL would be so beautiful all decked out in it's Christmas finery.

Should I be a good steward of my money and book a moderate or should I go crazy and book WL?

Go for it!!! I did my first (and probably only) solo last Feb. to WL and it was fantastic!! Being able to walk indoors to the room, gift shop and restaurants is a great perk! Plus at Christmas time it will be beautiful!! I loved taking my nook and sitting in front of the ginormous fireplace in the evening as a great way to unwind. Plus with decent discounts the price may be close to a moderate and well worth the treat!!

Photobee, the single bedroom villas and above have a stacked washer and dryer combo in the room. The studio rooms do not. There is a laundry room in the Villas (I think on the first floor) for use, it should be free :woohoo:, but you will need your room key to open the door. The Grand Villas are HUGE and nice if you have a big bunch of folks :dance3: with you (needless to say, they also cost a bunch of points). Enjoy!!

@ WDWKOOK, thanks for bringing all the info on the Wilderness Lodge together. It helped me a lot in deciding where to stay.

Which is of course the WL in January. So thanks!:thumbsup2

Same to anyone else who gave tips here, very helpfull.

I am staying at WL in November and have a few transportation questions. I didn't know if I should put this question on the tranportation board as it is specific to the WL.

1. What is the best way to get from WL to Poly (O'hana dinner) and back

2. How long do I need to plan to get from WL to FW for HDDR. Is boat the best way?

3. If I want to make it to MK rope drop (9am opening) what time do I need to plan on leaving hotel?

I know in general I should plan an hour between the hotel and a park, but it has to be less to MK and more to AK. Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate between WL and each park?

Thank you so much for your help.

The one and two bedroom have their own W&D. A studio, you need to go down to the first floor. There is a laundry room with room key access.

VWL, someone correct me if I'm wrong does not have any Grand Villas.

Photobee, the single bedroom villas and above have a stacked washer and dryer combo in the room. The studio rooms do not. There is a laundry room in the Villas (I think on the first floor) for use, it should be free :woohoo:, but you will need your room key to open the door. The Grand Villas are HUGE and nice if you have a big bunch of folks :dance3: with you (needless to say, they also cost a bunch of points). Enjoy!!

Perfect! Thank you so much! :goodvibes

APPETIZERS

IMG_0035-3.jpg

Does anyone know where to get a copy of this menu (or the one for the week that you stay there)??

We will be there in December and I would LOVE to know the ingredients of what I am eating. I don't have food allergies, but I do have several sensitivities.

Do I email IPO or do I ask a CM when I arrive??

Thanks!

WE got back Friday from a great trip at the Wilderness Lodge. We were upgraded to Courtyard View from Standard View and we were chosen to be the Flag Family of the Day on October 6th. Pictures and details to come later once I get them organized. Any questions in the mean time please let me know.

2. How long do I need to plan to get from WL to FW for HDDR. Is boat the best way?

3. If I want to make it to MK rope drop (9am opening) what time do I need to plan on leaving hotel?

I know in general I should plan an hour between the hotel and a park, but it has to be less to MK and more to AK. Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate between WL and each park?

Thank you so much for your help.

The boat is the fastest way to get to FW - it is very quick and convenient and the ride itself is pretty quick. Same for the MK - the boat is pretty quick once you're on it, especially at that time of morning. We stayed at the WL last September and the lines were never very long for the boat in the early morning; however, mid-morning and afternoon they tended to be a bit longer. Ask the information desk in the lobby for a boat schedule - this will help you determine which boat you want to be on. For instance, if the rope drop is at 9am, you'd likely want to be on a boat leaving around 8 or 8:15, just to give yourself time to get to the MK, get through the gates, then off to where you need to be. With the FW HDDR ADR, you'd probably want the boat leaving 30 to 45 mins. before your ADR.

I would avoid the buses unless you're going to the AK or Downtown Disney. Otherwise, to get to HS or EC, I'd take the boat to the GF and then hop on the mono. We found the buses to be horribly unreliable and many times so overcrowded that by the time they got to the WL, we couldn't board them.

However, someone who's gone a different time of year may have had a totally different experience, both with the boats and with the buses. ;)

So to get to HS and EP, if you go to Grand Flo and get on the monorail, you take the monorail to where? TTC? Or to the buses at MK and take a direct bus to HS? Do you take the monorail into EP or the bus?

The boat is the fastest way to get to FW - it is very quick and convenient and the ride itself is pretty quick. Same for the MK - the boat is pretty quick once you're on it, especially at that time of morning. We stayed at the WL last September and the lines were never very long for the boat in the early morning; however, mid-morning and afternoon they tended to be a bit longer. Ask the information desk in the lobby for a boat schedule - this will help you determine which boat you want to be on. For instance, if the rope drop is at 9am, you'd likely want to be on a boat leaving around 8 or 8:15, just to give yourself time to get to the MK, get through the gates, then off to where you need to be. With the FW HDDR ADR, you'd probably want the boat leaving 30 to 45 mins. before your ADR.

I would avoid the buses unless you're going to the AK or Downtown Disney. Otherwise, to get to HS or EC, I'd take the boat to the GF and then hop on the mono. We found the buses to be horribly unreliable and many times so overcrowded that by the time they got to the WL, we couldn't board them.

However, someone who's gone a different time of year may have had a totally different experience, both with the boats and with the buses. ;)

We are planning a trip for June 2012. We love to try a deluxe & WL would be the best for our budget especially if we can get a pin code or a promotion comes out. We have one 11 yr DS. Tell me how great & fun WL will be in June 2012. Any activities that an 11 yr old boy will love? He is the very easy-going type & has been visiting WDW since he was 4.

So try to convince me that WL is soooo worth the money for June.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter