(CLOSED) Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE and VILLAS INFORMATION THREAD ~2014~

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Wilderness lodge has been one of our dream resorts. Should we stay there in Sept or stay somewhere else due to the construction? My husband and I aren't really pool people. Do you think it would effect us even if we decide not to go swimming?

We visit Disney often so I could always book again during Christmas or January. But this trip is to celebrate both of our birthdays so I wanted to book somewhere we both would love. We love visiting North Carolina and the WL reminds me of a giant NC cabin.

I was pretty sure I wanted to stay there despite the construction until I saw all the pictures on post 2. Eh I don't want to ruin the "magic" of our vacation with a bunch of construction. I'm thinking AKL since he has never been but I have and I wanted something new for the both of us that has that manly appeal. I don't know..I may go with AKL. What do you all think? We definitely want to stay at a Deluxe. :confused3

That sounds good. They will definitely know North Wing, and if you don't want to be near the lobby I would specifically request that too. This should be a fairly easy request to meet, since there are more Woods view rooms in the North wing than the South wing. :thumbsup2

Awesome. Thank you! I'll definitely also ask for away from lobby - my 3 requests will probably be north wing, away from lobby, upper floor. i suspect most people want to be close to the lobby, but DH and I don't mind the walk, so hopefully that will help us get our other requests.

Just noticed your screen name - DH and I will be going to DLR for the first time in late Sept/early Oct and hoping to stay at the GC. :)

Elsa-

Mostly the answers will be "it depends"...

For me the decision is based upon what you plan to do. I'd stay at WL if I was planning alot of meals at the monorail resorts or I needed the jogging trails (no real jogging trails at AKL...). Or if I was planning to be at MK more than a day. My family loves AKL because there is alot to do, great food and the pool is huge. It is a great resort if you are staying there and can be almost self contained. That said travel to the parks can be tricky or at least longer from AKL. Of course there is also the slippery slope of a split stay...

Elsa-

Mostly the answers will be "it depends"...

For me the decision is based upon what you plan to do. I'd stay at WL if I was planning alot of meals at the monorail resorts or I needed the jogging trails (no real jogging trails at AKL...). Or if I was planning to be at MK more than a day. My family loves AKL because there is alot to do, great food and the pool is huge. It is a great resort if you are staying there and can be almost self contained. That said travel to the parks can be tricky or at least longer from AKL. Of course there is also the slippery slope of a split stay...

Very good points made. We plan to do MK more than one day most likely. I do not want a split stay! It just seems like so much work for a vacation! Besides since we go to Disney so frequently we usually stay about a week so a split stay wouldn't even be worth it for us.

Awesome. Thank you! I'll definitely also ask for away from lobby - my 3 requests will probably be north wing, away from lobby, upper floor. i suspect most people want to be close to the lobby, but DH and I don't mind the walk, so hopefully that will help us get our other requests.

Just noticed your screen name - DH and I will be going to DLR for the first time in late Sept/early Oct and hoping to stay at the GC. :)

No problem. That's what's neat about requests, you might want something others wouldn't prefer, so there's a good chance that by making them everyone will be happy.

That's neat about your DLR trip. We originally chose WL at WDW because of how much we like the Grand Californian. It is neat to stay at both resorts. While architecturally similar, they have some significant differences and for us it is hard to pick a favorite. We love the snack bar at the GC and the ability to walk right in to CA Adventure, but it is missing Bay Lake...

Sounds like you've got some great trips coming up, enjoy. :cool1:

Well some Deluxe standard views popped up this morning.

We are now deciding between Poly and WL (don't care about either construction project). Poly is the cheaper of the two at the moment and their standard views are pretty nice for the most part.

We may save WL for another trip or it may all change when AP discounts come out.

At this rate I may have to join the Resort Changers thread.

In the lobby now and just saw them remove several of the trees next to the bridge. Have also seen workers on the rock part outside for the last few days.

It's a lovely place and I haven't been bothered at all by the construction.

In the lobby now and just saw them remove several of the trees next to the bridge. Have also seen workers on the rock part outside for the last few days.

It's a lovely place and I haven't been bothered at all by the construction.

We are on the 7th floor looking down. They are finishing up painting the window trim. There is still plastic over the rocks below the scaffolding. I'm "guessing" when the painting is done they will start the stream. Today or tomorrow?

Liz

We are on the 7th floor looking down. They are finishing up painting the window trim. There is still plastic over the rocks below the scaffolding. I'm "guessing" when the painting is done they will start the stream. Today or tomorrow?

Liz

Liz, Has the construction bothered you during your stay?

If I couldn't see it from the balcony, I wouldn't have known it was happening. I see this if I look the other way! I just happen to love sunrise.

Plants were gone and the bridge was open to the elevators when we got back early this afternoon.

Liz

If I couldn't see it from the balcony, I wouldn't have known it was happening. I see this if I look the other way! I just happen to love sunrise.

Plants were gone and the bridge was open to the elevators when we got back early this afternoon.

Liz

Just beautiful! WDW may be the only place I actually enjoy waking up early!
Thanks for sharing. 2 weeks!!!

Thanks for posting the pics TinkerBellLiz, especially the Downtown Disney one. You can really get a handle on all that's taking place from that perspective. :thumbsup2

Carla

We are "boat people" so I'm hanging at the lodge sorting photos this afternoon because this chased us in!

We had beignets at Riverside this morning before DH went up in the balloon. I think we've hit all Disney boat routes except Boardwalk. There is always tomorrow though! Riverside is a beautiful resort!

This was on our way out of the Lodge this morning.

Liz
We could hardly see the pool area at all from our fifth floor courtyard view room last January. We were in the upper courtyard near the Bearface rooms. I love the view of Bay Lake. It is the best lake at WDW. :goodvibes:goodvibes We will be at the lodge in October and we're really not too worried about the construction. The resort is so gorgeous that a torn up pool won't matter.

Downtown Disney from the balloon.

What a view! That balloon ride looks like a lot of fun. Can you see any of the resorts from there?

I have a question about the construction.

We could care less about the pool, but...will the geyser be operating? Or is it connected to the pools/water source? I REALLY want to see that geyser!

I have a question about the construction.

We could care less about the pool, but...will the geyser be operating? Or is it connected to the pools/water source? I REALLY want to see that geyser!

We learned that the geyser is separate when we took the lodge tour last January. It is not connected to the pool's water source, so I would assume it will still run. It is outside of the work area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter