(CLOSED) Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE and VILLAS INFORMATION THREAD ~2014~

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just returned very early this morning (like 1 am) from 8 nights at WL Courtyard view. We were the Flag Family yesterday, 7/8/2014 and got some inside scoop from the Ranger who led us up to the roof. As of yesterday, the scrims were still up in the courtyard for the Waterfall rehab, though they were starting to refill that area with water. He said that they have until this Saturday to complete that work. I asked about the pool rehab this fall and he said that they are replacing the kiddie pool with a splash pad area, much like what was done at Fort Wilderness. Also, he said the main pool is getting a new liner, one that will have more "grip" so people won't slip in the pool itself. Also, he said that the new fencing going in will be much like the wooden fencing along the walkway that runs behind the hot tubs and over to Fire Rock geyser. He said having that kind of fence fits the theme, and it would be hard for pool hoppers to finagle themselves through--and only people who are hopping would be trying that, therefore making it more obvious that they don't belong at the pool. The fence will run behind the Pool Bar so that only WL guests will be able to utilize that. There will be another fencing area near the slide to enclose that as well. Given all that, I can understand why it will take a couple months to complete. We had a great stay, although I have to admit that the Electrical Water Pageant started to drive me nuts at bedtime because it was LOUD in our courtyard room. I wasn't expecting to be able to hear it so clearly. Any questions?

You have just made my day with the update of the stream construction! We were beginning to resign ourselves to the fact that the creek would be dry and scrims would be up for our first WL visit. Sounds like there is a good possibility everything will be back in order before we arrive on Friday, July 18th. We are so excited! Thank you for taking the time to update and congrats on being the Flag Family!:)

KOOK ~

Well that STINKS (and I don't just mean the armoire)! So sorry your stay left something to be desired, that is always such a bummer to encounter while on vacation. How nice that you received the upgrade but I do wish the experience would have been better for you! :(

Kook, I too received an upgrade to a deluxe room at WL once and I swear they just move people to those rooms to shut them up. :rotfl: My room was on the first floor and I had the exact same issues you did. I was never even told about club level access or turndown service, and I had to figure that out on my own. I never did receive turndown. The room was dirty and like you, I carry Lysol wipes and went to work. Without giving myself away (since my issues were very unique), let's just say I too smelled some not too fresh aromas in the room, and I'm talking about the kind that will make your stomach turn. :eek: And yes, we did eventually move to another resort.

I love VWL but the lodge itself was definitely a miss for us. I'm so sorry to hear that those issues still aren't resolved, years later.

Good morning, Lodgers:). Trying to get some multi-quotes posted - still have some left. Everyone should have been added/removed from the Lodgers' Log. If you don't see your dates or you weren't removed, just post and I'll revise it later today. I hope to post another TR installment later this afternoon:)

Thanks for the info and all you so for the boards. I hasn't heard from the ipo yet so wasn't sure if they did room requests. I should have been clearer that we are in a deluxe club level, which is why we want to be close to the lounge. I believe they don't have woods views available.
Sometimes you won't hear immediately from the IPO. There's some automatic trigger that alerts them to "welcome you." It depends on when you book and isn't consistent. Seems often to come around the 180-day point/90-day/30-day? Feel free to email or call them anytime after you've booked.

You're correct, Deluxe rooms only have WL CYV and the ones at the very end of the wings have Bay Lake views in the South Wing and obstructed BLV/dock views in the North Wing. See photo below.

We plan on doing the tour our first morning at WL. Is it popular enough to make advance arrangements or can we just ask that morning?
Liz, the Lodge Tour doesn't take reservations and there isn't a "list." Simply meet by the lobby fireplace a few minutes early. I've not seen it look very full nor do I think Ranger Jack would turn anyone away. You should have no problem taking it whenever you want. It's so informative and a great way to acquaint yourself with the resort.

Kook I apologize for speaking about the pool closure, but I need something clarified. I am hearing reports of people calling the phone number on the letter that was mailed out and getting reduced rates/upgrades.

I know you had said we have to wait until we check in. Is this still the case or have you heard otherwise?
I reported a couple of weeks ago that I spoke with a CM and I asked her what would be done for guests who are displeased with the pool rehab impacting their stay. She told me that before arrival, WL does not "own" the reservation and they can't make any monetary adjustments, but after check-in, they "own" the reservation and can work with each guest on a case by case basis. Every booking and situation is different so this is why it has to be done on a case by case basis. She said that the guest would need to speak to a manager or leader.

Reservations are dropped into the resort at about the 1-2 week point. Prior to this, the WDTC, "owns" the reservation, if you made it though them. At the time I asked her, she did not know whether the WDTC or Disney Guest Services were making or would make any monetary adjustments to reservations prior to check-in. The CMs physically located at WL are not involved with what the WDTC/TAs do before the reservation is dropped into their system. They can't really "see" that activity. Also, at the time I asked, I don't believe that the WDTC/DGS was making guest booking adjustments. I think this is something that started recently.

I was just looking at the room number map and noticed the Woods View rooms on the very end of the North Wing. They number x001 and x002.

Has anyone stayed in these rooms? I would love to hear thoughts and opinions.

Trying to decide what to "request" when 2015 packages are released.

Thanks!! :thumbsup2

Carla
This is the front of the Deluxe rooms and rooms you mention at the end of the North Wing. This was last year and the trees are even more overgrown now.

6b51e17e-9b09-4df6-a988-ca29c2ce2685.jpg

Booked for our 1st stay at WL 8/25 - 9/1 and on free dining woohoo.

This Disney planning has not been easy, originally we were booked for an awesome deal at the Poly then we bought a Travel Trailer and decided on camping at Fort Wilderness and well it seemed like a good idea at the time but after a few vacations our 15month old didn't do well on long driving trips. And seeing it will take about 17hours driving we changed our minds and got cheap airfare and free dining and chose the Lodge after hearing great reviews of the place.

So now we are just counting down the days til we leave
Welcome! Hope your planning is settling down now.

I would just like to mention that I see a lot of posts here discussing making room requests and want to give everyone a word of caution. A request is granted as space and bookings allow and isn't guaranteed. We always make a room request, but they have been denied as many times as granted. Please don't get your heart set on just one specific area of a resort. All areas have their pros and cons, but the likelihood of everyone getting their exact preference just honestly isn't that high. Our first trip I was quite moody the first day because I didn't get just exactly that right view that I wanted. "I'm paying all this money and this is our first deluxe stay and I'm so disappointed!" I had to take a step back and remember that the resort is delightful and that's why we chose to be there. The view or walk to a room will most likely not make or break your trip.
:thumbsup2

Kook, I too received an upgrade to a deluxe room at WL once and I swear they just move people to those rooms to shut them up. :rotfl: My room was on the first floor and I had the exact same issues you did. I was never even told about club level access or turndown service, and I had to figure that out on my own. I never did receive turndown. The room was dirty and like you, I carry Lysol wipes and went to work. Without giving myself away (since my issues were very unique), let's just say I too smelled some not too fresh aromas in the room, and I'm talking about the kind that will make your stomach turn. :eek: And yes, we did eventually move to another resort.

I love VWL but the lodge itself was definitely a miss for us. I'm so sorry to hear that those issues still aren't resolved, years later.

This is crazy, I can't believe no one told you about the Club Level.

For the price you pay for the Deluxe room you would think it would be better. I would much prefer the villas over the Deluxe rooms anyday!

Kook,

Thank you for your honest renew on the room.

It is just sad that things have to be like that. I would not pay the price for that room.

It's funny though. Back in 2011 we had the exact same room and it was clean and smelled fresh. We thought it was fun to come up the back elevators and walk to the lounge.

And, it wasn't me who stunk up the room, lol :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Regarding turn down service - I also have noticed that it is even a hit or miss on the 7th floor some times.

I just think things are slipping a bit. But also realize that Disney is very short mousekeepers right now. They are begging for them.

Thanks Kook for the honest review and for the picture of the north wing end rooms. Doesn't look like you can see much from those balconies so I don't think I'll request those!!

We were in room 7127 this past trip May 29th-June 7th. It's pretty awesome isn't it?

Can't afford club level next trip so it's probably going to be woods view for us.

That's okay we'll still be at the beautiful Lodge right? :thumbsup2

Carla

You have just made my day with the update of the stream construction! We were beginning to resign ourselves to the fact that the creek would be dry and scrims would be up for our first WL visit. Sounds like there is a good possibility everything will be back in order before we arrive on Friday, July 18th. We are so excited! Thank you for taking the time to update and congrats on being the Flag Family!:)

Our room was 5019 which I guess is the North side of the resort. Our view was not at all affected by the scrims that were up. Also, from the ground, I felt like it was very unobtrusive. Sure, you couldn't walk that path from the lobby out by the waterfall, but overall it did nothing to detract from our enjoyment of the pool area. I can see if you had a room like Kook that directly overlooked the scrim it might be a distraction, but from our room it was barely noticeable. I would think that by the time you arrive on the 18th the scrims will all be done, especially since they were already refilling the waterfall area with water. Have a great trip--and try to get Flag Family--it's amazing. We did it once 14 years ago before we had kids. It was fun to do it again with them this time. We had about a half hour on the roof with the Ranger and got to take all sorts of panoramic shots of all four parks, and of course got to raise all 5 flags on the roof. Ask at check-in at the Concierge Desk.

My apologies for not posting photos as I had hoped yesterday. Mundane obligations went into overtime and then we had a power outage due to thunderstorms. I will try to multi-quote and post some photos this afternoon:flower3:

The weather has been bad here and we have been dealing with power outages as well. Yesterday we were told we would not have power until Friday but luckily it came back last night.

To answer your earlier question. No unfortunately I am not going on this trip just the kids. I overheard them one day talking about bringing me, however it would not work this time. I am ging to encourage them to take the resort tour it sounds great.

Sorry if I am off topic for WL, but I feel like this is 'home' for me and where my friends are :)
:grouphug:

We're transferring from the BWV to WL and have an ADR for Artist Point that evening at 5:30. Will our bags be there in enough time to change/ freshen up before dinner? We could throw a small bag of necessities in the stroller, but then we'd have to tote it around every time we park the stroller.
Assuming you don't check out until 11 from BWV, it could be late afternoon before your luggage arrives. Bell Services estimates several hours for transfer. The earlier you check-out from BWV, the earlier you'll have your bags at WL.

We just returned very early this morning (like 1 am) from 8 nights at WL Courtyard view. We were the Flag Family yesterday, 7/8/2014 and got some inside scoop from the Ranger who led us up to the roof.

As of yesterday, the scrims were still up in the courtyard for the Waterfall rehab, though they were starting to refill that area with water. He said that they have until this Saturday to complete that work. I asked about the pool rehab this fall and he said that they are replacing the kiddie pool with a splash pad area, much like what was done at Fort Wilderness. Also, he said the main pool is getting a new liner, one that will have more "grip" so people won't slip in the pool itself. Also, he said that the new fencing going in will be much like the wooden fencing along the walkway that runs behind the hot tubs and over to Fire Rock geyser. He said having that kind of fence fits the theme, and it would be hard for pool hoppers to finagle themselves through--and only people who are hopping would be trying that, therefore making it more obvious that they don't belong at the pool. The fence will run behind the Pool Bar so that only WL guests will be able to utilize that. There will be another fencing area near the slide to enclose that as well.
Given all that, I can understand why it will take a couple months to complete.

We had a great stay, although I have to admit that the Electrical Water Pageant started to drive me nuts at bedtime because it was LOUD in our courtyard room. I wasn't expecting to be able to hear it so clearly. Any questions?
Thank you for posting this information so quickly after returning home. I will post some of the details from Ranger Jack to the update on PAGE 2.

You can't miss knowing when it's 9:35! But, in a few days, you might just miss it;)

[/B]

This is what my fam had said all along. DH is happy to have this thought scratched off the list.:rotfl:

Thanks, as always, for your thorough and honest reviews!:thumbsup2

:hug:
You're welcome and I'm glad I could help scratch it off:laughing:

KOOK ~ Thanks so much for your great (as usual ;)) and thorough review :goodvibes. I'm sorry the deluxe room wasn't in the best shape, but I'm glad you were able to try it. Thanks also for all of the great pics. Seeing pics of WL views and rooms never gets old :wizard:.
You're so right about that::yes::

KOOK ~

Well that STINKS (and I don't just mean the armoire)! So sorry your stay left something to be desired, that is always such a bummer to encounter while on vacation. How nice that you received the upgrade but I do wish the experience would have been better for you! :(
No complaints here about getting a free upgrade - it was a great learning experience. I looked at it as a fact finding mission LOL. I learned something from the experience and maybe someone else can use my experience to guide them. Disney isn't perfect and things change at WDW all the time. When you go often, you're more attuned to those changes;)

Well, in my case, they moved someone FROM the Deluxe room to make them happier - not sure how often that happens, but you're the second case I know of. That is very interesting that you had such a similar experience, albeit in a different Deluxe room. At a minimum, when they upgraded you, you should have been given a paper welcoming you and listing the hours of operation of the lounge. This is usually on the bed or should have been handed to you. I hope your move turned out better for you and you were happier. Were you transferred to another CL room?

Kook,

Thank you for your honest renew on the room.

It is just sad that things have to be like that. I would not pay the price for that room.

It's funny though. Back in 2011 we had the exact same room and it was clean and smelled fresh. We thought it was fun to come up the back elevators and walk to the lounge.

And, it wasn't me who stunk up the room, lol :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Regarding turn down service - I also have noticed that it is even a hit or miss on the 7th floor some times.

I just think things are slipping a bit. But also realize that Disney is very short mousekeepers right now. They are begging for them.
I know you had nothing to do with the room's, umm, issues. It had to have occurred post 2011:laughing:. Actually, when a room isn't properly maintained on an almost daily basis, it can slip fast. And, if management isn't checking these rooms periodically or paying attention to the details, they can slip fast. Little issues can become big ones fast.

I have to unfortunately agree with you. We've noticed some changes that aren't for the better. I'll address some of them in my future TR installments. Again, when you go often, those changes are more glaring and obvious so that's why I think it might be helpful for us to post about our observations so that everyone can be well informed.

Thanks Kook for the honest review and for the picture of the north wing end rooms. Doesn't look like you can see much from those balconies so I don't think I'll request those!!

We were in room 7127 this past trip May 29th-June 7th. It's pretty awesome isn't it?

Can't afford club level next trip so it's probably going to be woods view for us.

That's okay we'll still be at the beautiful Lodge right? :thumbsup2

Carla
7127 is awesome! I'd recommend the North Wing for a Woods View room. The 5th floor is the highest floor without solid balcony railings;). You won't miss having to stand up to see over the railing.

Kook, Thank you very much for the thorough updates with photos! And also for the honest review. We're at 30 days out now and just checked on MDE and saw that our magic bands are being shipped. Your post and everyone else here on this thread help us make our anticipated trip to WL very exciting. :thumbsup2

KOOK, I never travel without my Lysol wipes! DH thinks I am crazy...I hope he reads your post and sees it's not just me getting grossed out :scared1: Jimmy??? Are you reading this???:rotfl2:

Kook thanks for the update on the rate adjustment.

OOooooo I don't know what to do!!! :confused::confused:

I was happy to hear more specific info about the construction. We have only stayed once at WL. All of you experts - from the description of the work offered yesterday, do we speculate the entire back of the resort will be blocked off? We don't care so much about swimming, but we loved walking those paths back behind the pool bar, along near the ferry and the geyser. I'm also wondering if the tables will still be out by the Fork in the back.

Kook, Thank you very much for the thorough updates with photos! And also for the honest review. We're at 30 days out now and just checked on MDE and saw that our magic bands are being shipped. Your post and everyone else here on this thread help us make our anticipated trip to WL very exciting. :thumbsup2
Your trip is becoming more real everyday! Did you put nicknames on the back of your MBs or your real names?

KOOK, I never travel without my Lysol wipes! DH thinks I am crazy...I hope he reads your post and sees it's not just me getting grossed out :scared1: Jimmy??? Are you reading this???:rotfl2:
Dearest Mr. marymac123, AKA, Jimmy:

Your wife is not crazy, she is perfectly sane. No one is allowed to touch anything in the hotel room until I spray and wipe anything I can. DH usually has to leave at some point because of the overwhelming smell of Lysol. He likes to go sit in the lounge or lobby while I "unpack." Since his olfactory senses are so sensitive, he's taken now to grabbing the wipes and helping me wipe everything so that I use less spray. Have you heard about the people who put their remotes into plastic baggies and use them only through the baggy? Well, Mary and I aren't that extreme so it could be worse;)

Kook thanks for the update on the rate adjustment.

OOooooo I don't know what to do!!! :confused::confused:

I was happy to hear more specific info about the construction. We have only stayed once at WL. All of you experts - from the description of the work offered yesterday, do we speculate the entire back of the resort will be blocked off? We don't care so much about swimming, but we loved walking those paths back behind the pool bar, along near the ferry and the geyser. I'm also wondering if the tables will still be out by the Fork in the back.
You're welcome. I did ask about Trout Pass and I was told that it was unlikely that it would remain open during the rehab. I didn't ask about the RF chairs. When I was on vacation, I posted that managers told me that if guests can, especially first-time guests, they recommend staying elsewhere during the rehab. The reason I was given is that they want guests to be 100% happy and they want the resort to shine. The WL courtyard area will be a mess for 2 months, which will affect the overall feel of the resort. If you're booked at GF, you might want to stay there instead, unless you can change your WL dates until after Thanksgiving.

Since we're talking about rehabs, I thought I'd make everyone feel better about the upcoming WL pool rehab by posting some photos I took a couple of weeks ago at the Poly. Keep in mind that these photos don't show the Nanea (Volcano) Pool rehab which will begin in a couple of weeks through 2015. I have to say that the resort actually looks worse in person. In fact, I am amazed that they haven't closed down the resort during the extensive resort-wide rehab. I know that has its own set of logistical issues with staff, guests, etc… but IMHO, it's unfit for guests. The resort is a mess from stem to stern. Even the entrance is a mess with fencing, no landscaping at all, road/parking lot closures and temporary signs.

NEAR THE NEW KIDS' CLUB:

GCH:

NEAR THE MONORAIL AND FRONT ENTRANCE TO THE GCH.

TAKEN FROM THE BEACH - VIEW FROM HAWAII BUILDING TPV/LV ROOMS:

TEMPORARY CAPTAIN COOK'S LOCATION:

IT WAS A WINDY DAY AND ALL THE TIKI TORCHES WERE LIT IN THE EARLY AFTERNOON:confused3. I THOUGHT THIS ONE WAS GOING TO IGNITE THE TREE:

:grouphug:

Assuming you don't check out until 11 from BWV, it could be late afternoon before your luggage arrives. Bell Services estimates several hours for transfer. The earlier you check-out from BWV, the earlier you'll have your bags at WL.

Thank you for posting this information so quickly after returning home. I will post some of the details from Ranger Jack to the update on PAGE 2.

You can't miss knowing when it's 9:35! But, in a few days, you might just miss it;)

You're welcome and I'm glad I could help scratch it off:laughing:

You're so right about that::yes::

No complaints here about getting a free upgrade - it was a great learning experience. I looked at it as a fact finding mission LOL. I learned something from the experience and maybe someone else can use my experience to guide them. Disney isn't perfect and things change at WDW all the time. When you go often, you're more attuned to those changes;)

Well, in my case, they moved someone FROM the Deluxe room to make them happier - not sure how often that happens, but you're the second case I know of. That is very interesting that you had such a similar experience, albeit in a different Deluxe room. At a minimum, when they upgraded you, you should have been given a paper welcoming you and listing the hours of operation of the lounge. This is usually on the bed or should have been handed to you. I hope your move turned out better for you and you were happier. Were you transferred to another CL room?

I know you had nothing to do with the room's, umm, issues. It had to have occurred post 2011:laughing:. Actually, when a room isn't properly maintained on an almost daily basis, it can slip fast. And, if management isn't checking these rooms periodically or paying attention to the details, they can slip fast. Little issues can become big ones fast.

I have to unfortunately agree with you. We've noticed some changes that aren't for the better. I'll address some of them in my future TR installments. Again, when you go often, those changes are more glaring and obvious so that's why I think it might be helpful for us to post about our observations so that everyone can be well informed.

7127 is awesome! I'd recommend the North Wing for a Woods View room. The 5th floor is the highest floor without solid balcony railings;). You won't miss having to stand up to see over the railing.

I moved to another resort. There was a lot about that stay that left a sour taste in my mouth. Again, I love VWL but the lodge seemed like it was run by a different set of rules and customer service.

Since we're talking about rehabs, I thought I'd make everyone feel better about the upcoming WL pool rehab by posting some photos I took a couple of weeks ago at the Poly. Keep in mind that these photos don't show the Nanea (Volcano) Pool rehab which will begin in a couple of weeks through 2015. I have to say that the resort actually looks worse in person. In fact, I am amazed that they haven't closed down the resort during the extensive resort-wide rehab. I know that has its own set of logistical issues with staff, guests, etc… but IMHO, it's unfit for guests. The resort is a mess from stem to stern. Even the entrance is a mess with fencing, no landscaping at all, road/parking lot closures and temporary signs.

NEAR THE NEW KIDS' CLUB:

GCH:

NEAR THE MONORAIL AND FRONT ENTRANCE TO THE GCH.

TAKEN FROM THE BEACH - VIEW FROM HAWAII BUILDING TPV/LV ROOMS:

TEMPORARY CAPTAIN COOK'S LOCATION:

IT WAS A WINDY DAY AND ALL THE TIKI TORCHES WERE LIT IN THE EARLY AFTERNOON:confused3. I THOUGHT THIS ONE WAS GOING TO IGNITE THE TREE:

Oh. My. God! :scared: That is just ridiculous! This must mean that even walkways are roped off in some areas. And I'm sorry-not-sorry, but those bungalows should be halfway done by now. It's been months and it looks like two of them may be 80% finished. I don't see how Poly DVC will be done by early 2015.

Your trip is becoming more real everyday! Did you put nicknames on the back of your MBs or your real names?
We decided to just put our real names on them. DS will get a kick when a CM ask for them by their names. ;)

Are there any pics of current merchandise in the Merchantile floating around anywhere?? :goodvibes Looking for men 's shirts.:laundy:;)

Thanks for all the updates, really appreciate them.
We are 61 days out now :cool1:

We decided to still stay at the WL, trying to stay positive about the refurb and be determined that it's not going to ruin our two year in the planning, celebratory holiday!

We have always wanted to stay at the lodge so we are looking forward to all the other things you can do and see.

This might be the perfect time for today's TR installment:
WL RESORT-BRANDED MERCHANDISE;)

SPOILER ALERT: I didn't notice any new merchandise. In fact, there seemed to be less. But, this is how it is at all the resorts. There is less and less (or none at all at CR) resort-branded merchandise. Poly still seems to have the most (of the Deluxe resorts).

JUNE/JULY 2014:

KEY CHAIN, MAGNET AND WL PINS IN THE BASKET. THEY SELL TWO WL PINS THAT ARE WITH OTHER DISNEY PINS DISPLAYED ON THE WALL:

BLURRY, BUT INCLUDES THE (SAME OLD) NIGHTSHIRT ON LEFT:

THEMED STUFFIES:

DVC-BRANDED:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter