(CLOSED) Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE and VILLAS INFORMATION THREAD ~2014~

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the link that shows the resort map with room numbers! I booked high floor with open balcony close to elevators - woods view!

My apologies for not posting photos as I had hoped yesterday. Mundane obligations went into overtime and then we had a power outage due to thunderstorms. I will try to multi-quote and post some photos this afternoon:flower3:

No apologies needed. :)

My apologies for not posting photos as I had hoped yesterday. Mundane obligations went into overtime and then we had a power outage due to thunderstorms. I will try to multi-quote and post some photos this afternoon:flower3:

Understandable! Looking forward to seeing them when you have time. :)

My Magic Bands have shipped!!! :cool1: Checking my ticker - we're 25 days out!

Now to find that long lost packing list and get it updated. I haven't really been thinking much about our trip getting close because I was afraid our budget would necessitate canceling, and also because our trip arriving means that summer will be coming to a close.

Can't wait for one last summer hoorah pixiedust: at the Lodge! :hourglass

As others have said, no apologies are necessary. I appreciate all you and the other Resort Mods do to provide up to date information. I'll enjoy your photos when you have time to post them.

:worship:THANK YOU!:thumbsup2

Now if you could just get Disney to coordinate their construction schedule through you, you'd be all set! pixiedust:

Liz

PS since I'm posting: 14 days to go! :hourglass

We're transferring from the BWV to WL and have an ADR for Artist Point that evening at 5:30. Will our bags be there in enough time to change/ freshen up before dinner? We could throw a small bag of necessities in the stroller, but then we'd have to tote it around every time we park the stroller.

We just returned very early this morning (like 1 am) from 8 nights at WL Courtyard view. We were the Flag Family yesterday, 7/8/2014 and got some inside scoop from the Ranger who led us up to the roof. As of yesterday, the scrims were still up in the courtyard for the Waterfall rehab, though they were starting to refill that area with water. He said that they have until this Saturday to complete that work. I asked about the pool rehab this fall and he said that they are replacing the kiddie pool with a splash pad area, much like what was done at Fort Wilderness. Also, he said the main pool is getting a new liner, one that will have more "grip" so people won't slip in the pool itself. Also, he said that the new fencing going in will be much like the wooden fencing along the walkway that runs behind the hot tubs and over to Fire Rock geyser. He said having that kind of fence fits the theme, and it would be hard for pool hoppers to finagle themselves through--and only people who are hopping would be trying that, therefore making it more obvious that they don't belong at the pool. The fence will run behind the Pool Bar so that only WL guests will be able to utilize that. There will be another fencing area near the slide to enclose that as well. Given all that, I can understand why it will take a couple months to complete. We had a great stay, although I have to admit that the Electrical Water Pageant started to drive me nuts at bedtime because it was LOUD in our courtyard room. I wasn't expecting to be able to hear it so clearly. Any questions?

We just returned very early this morning (like 1 am) from 8 nights at WL Courtyard view. We were the Flag Family yesterday, 7/8/2014 and got some inside scoop from the Ranger who led us up to the roof. As of yesterday, the scrims were still up in the courtyard for the Waterfall rehab, though they were starting to refill that area with water. He said that they have until this Saturday to complete that work. I asked about the pool rehab this fall and he said that they are replacing the kiddie pool with a splash pad area, much like what was done at Fort Wilderness. Also, he said the main pool is getting a new liner, one that will have more "grip" so people won't slip in the pool itself. Also, he said that the new fencing going in will be much like the wooden fencing along the walkway that runs behind the hot tubs and over to Fire Rock geyser. He said having that kind of fence fits the theme, and it would be hard for pool hoppers to finagle themselves through--and only people who are hopping would be trying that, therefore making it more obvious that they don't belong at the pool. The fence will run behind the Pool Bar so that only WL guests will be able to utilize that. There will be another fencing area near the slide to enclose that as well. Given all that, I can understand why it will take a couple months to complete. We had a great stay, although I have to admit that the Electrical Water Pageant started to drive me nuts at bedtime because it was LOUD in our courtyard room. I wasn't expecting to be able to hear it so clearly. Any questions?
Thank you for the pool update. :thumbsup2
Nice to know that waterfall will be done by this Saturday. I also just saw the latest video blog of SeeYaRealSoon couple and they featured the WL main pool. If you guys haven't seen it, check it out. It's on youtube.

Thank you to everyone for your patience:grouphug:

Today's TR installment will feature photos of and thoughts on Deluxe room 5123. This room sits two floors directly underneath the Presidential Suite. In addition to all standard room amenities, it has an additional very small balcony off the master bedroom (without chairs), additional small windows in the master bedroom and living room, a large armoire (more on this later:rolleyes2), an additional pocket door to the bathroom (Jack & Jill style), a queen sleeper, an extra TV on a table with one drawer that's large enough for clothing, a coffee table and lamp, wet bar area with a small counter and mirror, an under the sink cabinet and fridge and two easy chairs. There is also an additional thermostat. The room did not have a ceiling fan at all, which all standard rooms and suites have. In its place was a ceiling light. This room did have a connecting door.

We stayed at YC-CL from 6/22 - 6/25 then moved over to Bay Lake the morning of 6/25. We were so excited to get to the Lodge that we arrived at 8:30! We were booked in a Standard CL room from 6/25 - 7/3. Our first night, we stayed in 7035. This is the mirror image of 7127 in the South Wing which is our favorite room. I requested both rooms in hopes of getting either. We were very happy in 7035 and so grateful to be in it, even though everything was backwards;). Both rooms are furthest from the lounge and besides the two suites, are the only two rooms on the 7th floor that directly front the WL CY. 7035 has a partial marina view off to the right and 7127 has a partial dock view instead. 7035 does have a connecting door to the VP Suite, but 7127 does not have a connecting door to the Pres. Suite.

On our first night, we were informed that the resort was at 100% occupancy and a guest who was on the 5th floor was very displeased because her Deluxe room was not on the 7th floor as she had expected and she wanted to move to the 7th floor. None of the Deluxe rooms are on the 7th floor; the 25 Deluxe rooms are only on floors 1-6. After mentioning that we'd be happy to switch with her;), the next morning we received a call that the unhappy occupant would like to take our room on the 7th floor and would we be willing to switch? Of course! WL staff seemed pleased that this would be a win-win for all parties involved. They were very generous in thanking us for switching and we were so excited to stay in a Deluxe room for the first time. I'd like to report that our excitement with this room continued throughout our stay, but it unfortunately did not.

I hope no one takes my negative comments as ungrateful, but instead views them as honest observations about this particular room, during our one week stay in it. YMMV.

We first noticed that the room was not nearly as clean as CL rooms or standard rooms on other floors we've stayed in.

~Caulk around the tub was missing in spots, which made for gaps between the wall and tub and most of the caulk was rotten/moldy. We mentioned this to a CL CM who made a call and the tub was re-caulked the next day. This was a huge improvement, but should not have gotten to this point in the first place.

~The sliding glass doors were dirty and the laminate floor was extremely slippery as if someone had sprayed furniture polish all over it. There were long streaks and smudges (more furniture polish?) all over the bathroom door and large handprints with a blueish tint (sunscreen?) all over the connecting door. The bathroom floor corners/baseboards were dirty. The bathroom walls had stains and the wall above the baseboard near the pocket door to the master bedroom had what appeared to be coffee(?) splashed all over it. I always sanitize a new room, but this room required extra effort on our part. We wiped down walls and tried as best we could to clean the floors and doors, but the "polish" and "coffee" and most stains didn't come off easily with our Lysol wipes.

All CL rooms receive full turn-down each evening. This includes removal and replacement of wet towels, emptying of the trash, chocolates on the beds and usually the lights are dimmed and curtains closed. If you are staying in a Deluxe room or suite, the sleeper is opened at night.

Our first night we didn't receive turn-down at all. I mentioned this to a CL CM and on our second night we were in the room when the housekeeper knocked quite early, maybe 4:30? When I opened the door, she held out a plastic bag with chocolates and asked if we wanted our beds turned down. I said no thank you, we only needed some fresh towels to replace the wet ones and a full trash can emptied. She held out her bag of chocolates and said, "Only chocolates." I asked if she had her cart nearby since I didn't see it at the door as is usually done on the 7th floor. She replied, "No cart, only chocolates." She told me to call housekeeping if I needed towels. I mentioned this to a CL CM who made a call to request full turn-down the next day.

The next day, we had a housekeeper and her supervisor come while DD was there. They did ask DD if she needed anything and DD just requested some towels which were provided. Not that this will surprise anyone, but on subsequent days, we either didn't receive turn-down or we received "only chocolates." We were told that the 5th floor is short housekeepers and unlike the 7th floor, a different housekeeper is usually cleaning the room everyday, who chose to remain anonymous and not list their name on the housekeeping card by the sinks.

On one of the first few days in the room, we came back to the plastic toilet paper roller removed from the holder in the bathroom and left on top of our toothpaste on the sink:sick:. Many Lysol wipes were used after that surprise. One day, we were missing extra toilet paper, the bath floor mat and lotion. I requested them and received them the next cleaning.

About the armoire I mentioned…it literally stunk. It was actually unusable even after spraying it with Lysol. Apparently, this is a known issue and stems from either the wood or the stain used. Either the problem should be fixed or the armoires replaced. There was also a funky smell emanating from the wet bar area. We think it was something that may have been in the sink drain?

I used to bemoan the fact that the Deluxe rooms were never available with an AP or Military rate because we would love to book one. I am ever so grateful for the one week upgrade, but I learned that we wouldn't want to book one. I don't know if our room is representative of all or most Deluxe rooms or if only that room or the other 5th floor room is like it. I can only report on 5123 for the one week we were in it.

The pros and cons of the Deluxe room, IMHO:

PROS:
Gorgeous WL CY view of the pool area, geyser and Bay Lake.

Two balconies.

See-through balcony railings.

Separate room with French doors for added privacy.

Wet bar area with mirror is great for teen girls:worship:

CONS:
No ceiling fans. But, we were able to request a floor fan. We like the noise of a fan, but the thermostat doesn't have a "fan on" option in the Deluxe rooms.

This particular room was not as clean as 7th floor rooms and others we've been in.

Turn-down was skipped or not a full turn-down like on the 7th floor.

The Deluxe rooms have connecting doors and guests above you so we found it noisy at times. The 7th floor has no guests above and some rooms are available without a connecting door.

We really missed not being on the 7th floor and felt very disconnected from CL.

If we had paid for the Deluxe room, we didn't feel it was worth the added cost over a Standard CL room.

The bathroom door opens inward and is configured in such a way that you much completely close the door anytime you enter the toilet/shower area. The door wouldn't stay fully open and would slowly partly close with a loud creaking. Just a bit awkward and different from Standard rooms.

Our stuff was in storage after we switched rooms and I didn't have my camera with me to take photos before we occupied the room. I only had my iPhone, which accounts for the poorer quality of most of the photos.

A walk through Deluxe room 5123...

Kook, thank you so much for your honest comments on what you experienced. I too have always wanted to stay in a Deluxe (our first stay we were in Rm 3123 right beside a Deluxe) and loved the view. And that was the room we were given with the complimentary upgrade we got from POR in 2013! Kind of glad we are going CL this time instead :) Makes me look forward to being on the 7th floor even more :laughing:

On the news of adding days to our trip, DH wasn't quite sure how to respond, so I basically told him "If I book it, I will tell you after I have done it" kind of like 'Surprise! We are staying longer!' And he can't do anything about it :teeth:

Thank you Kook for your always honest and thorough reviews :worship: I am so sorry that the deluxe room was "icky/dirty" and what was up with Mousekeeping. I bet the CL CMs felt horrible for you :faint: It must have been great for DD to have extra room, and :banana: that you got to try it out..pales in comparison to that "sweet suite" upgrade you got in 2012 (right year??) The view (minus the enhancement view) :cloud9:

At AKL we loved our suite back disliked being a different floor and a LONG walk from the CL lounge :rolleyes1

JnKinVA:cool1: for double digits AND more days :goodvibes

My DH has given up asking about our trip long ago, he knows better;)

Kook, thanks for the thorough rundown. We are doing deluxe CL in September but hopefully our experience fairs better. We are set in deluxe so we can have the separate bedroom, but did have some concerns abut being disconnected from CL. Requesting to be close so hopefully it works out. Quick question, did the French doors provide quiet between the rooms and did they have blinds? Quiet for nap time is a must and I was surprised to see the door looked so unsubstantial.

Kook, thank you so much for your honest comments on what you experienced. I too have always wanted to stay in a Deluxe (our first stay we were in Rm 3123 right beside a Deluxe) and loved the view. And that was the room we were given with the complimentary upgrade we got from POR in 2013! Kind of glad we are going CL this time instead :) Makes me look forward to being on the 7th floor even more :laughing:

On the news of adding days to our trip, DH wasn't quite sure how to respond, so I basically told him "If I book it, I will tell you after I have done it" kind of like 'Surprise! We are staying longer!' And he can't do anything about it :teeth:

Being on the CL floor is very different. We didn't mind the walk at all, in fact, 7035 and 7127 may even be slightly further. There's just a general sense that your more of a visitor when you're on another floor.

Surprise! We're staying longer! This has so many interesting possibliities;):thumbsup2

Thank you Kook for your always honest and thorough reviews :worship: I am so sorry that the deluxe room was "icky/dirty" and what was up with Mousekeeping. I bet the CL CMs felt horrible for you :faint: It must have been great for DD to have extra room, and :banana: that you got to try it out..pales in comparison to that "sweet suite" upgrade you got in 2012 (right year??) The view (minus the enhancement view) :cloud9:

At AKL we loved our suite back disliked being a different floor and a LONG walk from the CL lounge :rolleyes1
Thank you for supporting the honesty. Can you believe the Yellowstone Suite was 2011? Disney time flies by:upsidedow. Speaking of which, only 5 weeks for you!:yay:

Kook, thanks for the thorough rundown. We are doing deluxe CL in September but hopefully our experience fairs better. We are set in deluxe so we can have the separate bedroom, but did have some concerns abut being disconnected from CL. Requesting to be close so hopefully it works out. Quick question, did the French doors provide quiet between the rooms and did they have blinds? Quiet for nap time is a must and I was surprised to see the door looked so unsubstantial.
The French doors have frosted glass so any light at night comes right in. DD fell asleep a few times with the TV on and it was VERY bright, even with the lights off. I had to turn it off and later asked her to try not to fall asleep with the TV on because it was so bright and the flashing light kept me up, but I didn't hear anything. The door does lock, but you can make out shapes and see figures through the frosted glass. They used to have sheers on them, but not since the 2012 rehab.

We've stayed in the furthest 7th floor rooms, and 5123 wasn't really any further, but you do have to take the elevator or stairs. The distance isn't what made it less appealing. For us, we just felt disconnected and like visitors to the 7th floor.

We just returned very early this morning (like 1 am) from 8 nights at WL Courtyard view. We were the Flag Family yesterday, 7/8/2014 and got some inside scoop from the Ranger who led us up to the roof. As of yesterday, the scrims were still up in the courtyard for the Waterfall rehab, though they were starting to refill that area with water. He said that they have until this Saturday to complete that work. I asked about the pool rehab this fall and he said that they are replacing the kiddie pool with a splash pad area, much like what was done at Fort Wilderness. Also, he said the main pool is getting a new liner, one that will have more "grip" so people won't slip in the pool itself. Also, he said that the new fencing going in will be much like the wooden fencing along the walkway that runs behind the hot tubs and over to Fire Rock geyser. He said having that kind of fence fits the theme, and it would be hard for pool hoppers to finagle themselves through--and only people who are hopping would be trying that, therefore making it more obvious that they don't belong at the pool. The fence will run behind the Pool Bar so that only WL guests will be able to utilize that. There will be another fencing area near the slide to enclose that as well. Given all that, I can understand why it will take a couple months to complete.

Thanks for posting the update about the pool enhancement. I would think that they would partially enclose the Trout Bar so that part of it is in the fenced in pool area and part of it is outside of the fence, like Hurricane Hanna's is over at the BC/YC. That would make the most sense. :confused3

The pros and cons of the Deluxe room, IMHO:

PROS:
Gorgeous WL CY view of the pool area, geyser and Bay Lake.

Two balconies.

See-through balcony railings.

Separate room with French doors for added privacy.

Wet bar area with mirror is great for teen girls:worship:

CONS:
No ceiling fans. But, we were able to request a floor fan. We like the noise of a fan, but the thermostat doesn't have a "fan on" option in the Deluxe rooms.

This particular room was not as clean as 7th floor rooms and others we've been in.

Turn-down was skipped or not a full turn-down like on the 7th floor.

The Deluxe rooms have connecting doors and guests above you so we found it noisy at times. The 7th floor has no guests above and some rooms are available without a connecting door.

We really missed not being on the 7th floor and felt very disconnected from CL.

The view is gorgeous but it does sound like the cons outweighed the pros. Did you ask to switch out of that room?

I would think that being so far from the club lounge would be very inconvenient.

Thanks for posting the update about the pool enhancement. I would think that they would partially enclose the Trout Bar so that part of it is in the fenced in pool area and part of it is outside of the fence, like Hurricane Hanna's is over at the BC/YC. That would make the most sense. :confused3

The view is gorgeous but it does sound like the cons outweighed the pros. Did you ask to switch out of that room?

I would think that being so far from the club lounge would be very inconvenient.
We were posting at the same time so I think I've answered the distance question. I have to admit that after a night or two, I did actually consider seeing if we could get back up to the 7th, but DD loved having her own "room" and we had already moved three times, (YC then 7035 then 5123) so I quickly removed the moving thought from my head. The extra room and some privacy was wonderful, but I really missed Jonnet, our usual Lodgekeeper, amongst other 7th floor "amenities."

The French doors have frosted glass so any light at night comes right in. DD fell asleep a few times with the TV on and it was VERY bright, even with the lights off. I had to turn it off and later asked her to try not to fall asleep with the TV on because it was so bright and the flashing light kept me up, but I didn't hear anything. The door does lock, but you can make out shapes and see figures through the frosted glass. They used to have sheers on them, but not since the 2012 rehab.

We've stayed in the furthest 7th floor rooms, and 5123 wasn't really any further, but you do have to take the elevator or stairs. The distance isn't what made it less appealing. For us, we just felt disconnected and like visitors to the 7th floor.

This is what my fam had said all along. DH is happy to have this thought scratched off the list.:rotfl:

Thanks, as always, for your thorough and honest reviews!:thumbsup2

:hug:

KOOK ~ Thanks so much for your great (as usual ;)) and thorough review :goodvibes. I'm sorry the deluxe room wasn't in the best shape, but I'm glad you were able to try it. Thanks also for all of the great pics. Seeing pics of WL views and rooms never gets old :wizard:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter