(CLOSED) Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE and VILLAS INFORMATION THREAD ~2014~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merry Christmas to all! Thanks for all the helpful advice, info, and sharing that happens on this most wonderful thread on the DIS!

christmasdecoratbusstop.jpg

:santa:

Merry Christmas to all! Thanks for all the helpful advice, info, and sharing that happens on this most wonderful thread on the DIS!

christmasdecoratbusstop.jpg

:santa:

Is there still one of these swags not working ? When we were there 2 weeks ago, one of the swags on the walkway to the villas did not have the lights working ........they never did fix it ALL week ..........just wondering if they fixxed it in time for Christmas :lmao:

Late update...but we're still here at WL! As mentioned. ..this place really is beautiful. ..Walt would've been proud of this resort!
There have been some challenges, but they are doing their best to keep us here as long as possible. .. (long story...maybe later).
6 nights down...3...maybe 2...or maybe 5... (again, long story).
Happy Holidays to all!

Late update...but we're still here at WL! As mentioned. ..this place really is beautiful. ..Walt would've been proud of this resort!
There have been some challenges, but they are doing their best to keep us here as long as possible. .. (long story...maybe later).
6 nights down...3...maybe 2...or maybe 5... (again, long story).
Happy Holidays to all!

Happy Holidays indeed! :cloud9:

...and I love a long story! Hope you'll share once you get back! :wizard:

Is there still one of these swags not working ? When we were there 2 weeks ago, one of the swags on the walkway to the villas did not have the lights working ........they never did fix it ALL week ..........just wondering if they fixxed it in time for Christmas :lmao:

This picture is from 2009, so I have no idea. Sorry!

I have a dining question that I figured I would post here first since so many of you know so much more than I do about WL. We are staying 5/31-6/6 at WL. We had an ADR at Whispering Canyon on our "down day." Since Whispering Canyon will be closed for refurbishment we are looking for a nice place to dine for myself, DH, DD 4, and DM. We were looking forward to not leaving WL that day and we don't want to go too far away. DM was not so upset about having to switch ressies as she did not want the noise and shenanigans of Whispering Canyon. We already have a 1900 Park Fare and Chef Mickey res. we were looking at either California Grille or Artist Point. Any other suggestions or tips for us? We don't want to venture too far that day but we may consider Downtown Disney if all else fails. Thanks!! :)

I have a dining question that I figured I would post here first since so many of you know so much more than I do about WL. We are staying 5/31-6/6 at WL. We had an ADR at Whispering Canyon on our "down day." Since Whispering Canyon will be closed for refurbishment we are looking for a nice place to dine for myself, DH, DD 4, and DM. We were looking forward to not leaving WL that day and we don't want to go too far away. DM was not so upset about having to switch ressies as she did not want the noise and shenanigans of Whispering Canyon. We already have a 1900 Park Fare and Chef Mickey res. we were looking at either California Grille or Artist Point. Any other suggestions or tips for us? We don't want to venture too far that day but we may consider Downtown Disney if all else fails. Thanks!! :)

My mom loved Trail's End over at Ft. Wilderness. It's a smallish menu (buffet style/BBq type foods) but the chef was excellent and she loved the atomosphere. The kitchen prepared me a few different allergy safe items that were really good and not at all bland or common and my mom said that the regular food was really well prepared as well. (we come from a bbq rich state/region and while it couldn't beat what we get at home it was probably some of the better bbq we've had out of state). The boat ride over to the Ft was easy and afterwards we wandered around a bit. Very nice and reminded me of our many camping trips as a kid.

Taking the boat over to Fort Wilderness could be a really good idea. It really shouldn't break your mood. You're still "in the Wilderness".

Might want to check to see if they're having Mickey's Backyard BBQ or Hoop de Doo, that night.

There's other things to do, in the campground, too. Horseback riding comes to mind. They have pony rides, but I don't remember what their age limits are, for that.

Another vote for Trail's End. The boat ride puts you right at the dock near the restaurant. Crockets Tavern is next door and closed at lunch, but open during the evening. The TE lunch menu is a la carte and the buffet will be closed. I actually enjoyed that because we could all get a sampling without spending buffet prices (which for WDW are actually pretty reasonable).

If you want a light meal in a more relaxed setting than AP, Territory Lounge opens late afternoon. It is not on the dining plan, but they do have a kids' menu, so the whole family is welcome. I messed up and arrived at WCC in a rainstorm on the day before our WCC ADR. They didn't have any open tables, so we went to TL and were VERY pleased.

I also hear many like the Wave, but we haven't tried that. We enjoy the boat ride to CR and eating at Contempo Cafe before a monorail ride, but that's when we're in pursuit of a change of scenery. You can't go wrong with CG, but it is definitely a destination experience.

Taking the boat over to Fort Wilderness could be a really good idea. It really shouldn't break your mood. You're still "in the Wilderness".

Might want to check to see if they're having Mickey's Backyard BBQ or Hoop de Doo, that night.

There's other things to do, in the campground, too. Horseback riding comes to mind. They have pony rides, but I don't remember what their age limits are, for that.

Wagon rides are available evenings. There is a small playground between the restaurant and the boat dock. Pony rides and the working horse barn are open in daytime. I don't know about evenings. The ponies are $5, but my short 9 year old was too tall. I think they're too big once they reach around 48 inches, but that may be wrong and still too tall.

Another vote for Trail's End. The boat ride puts you right at the dock near the restaurant. Crockets Tavern is next door and closed at lunch, but open during the evening. The TE lunch menu is a la carte and the buffet will be closed. I actually enjoyed that because we could all get a sampling without spending buffet prices (which for WDW are actually pretty reasonable).

I loved the Chicken & Waffles at Trail's End for breakfast!

I highly recommend, with the PP, to head over to Fort Wilderness :) I will go to Disney for my tenth visit in January, with my DH (first time visitor and our honeymoon) and I set aside an evening to go hang out at Fort Wilderness and get away from park craziness. The first eight times I went to the world, we never made it to Ft. Wilderness, but the ninth time I spent two half days over there enjoying the trail ride, boating between Ft. Wilderness and WL, Hoop Dee Do Review, enjoying the working horse barn, petting ponies and just sitting and enjoying the peace and quiet of the surroundings. My mom actually commented, why didn't we do this sooner. My husband and I just received as a Christmas present from my parents, tickets to Hoop Dee Do. I have not ate at Trails End, however we did peruse the menu and it all looked good, and it appeared similar to the Hoop Dee Do menu, which I thought was great food. If we weren't going to Hoop Dee Do, I'd give it a try :)

I also hear many like the Wave, but we haven't tried that. We enjoy the boat ride to CR and eating at Contempo Cafe before a monorail ride, but that's when we're in pursuit of a change of scenery. You can't go wrong with CG, but it is definitely a destination experience.

I've got a Wave ADR on the 26th. Still looking at the menu trying to decide what to try. (I'm actually doing a Value Stay at Movies, but may have to visit WL to hold me over till next Oct).

Well, we did it! My husband and I surprised our 3 kids Christmas morning with a trip to Disney. It was something I will never forget!!! We arrive on Jan. 1st and are staying 5 nights at the Wilderness Lodge! I am so excited to come back. We last stayed here in 2004.

I do have a quick question to all of you experts. Does the bathroom/sink area in the rooms have a magnifying mirror? I just need to know if I should pack mine if they don't. THANKS!!!

Well, we did it! My husband and I surprised our 3 kids Christmas morning with a trip to Disney. It was something I will never forget!!! We arrive on Jan. 1st and are staying 5 nights at the Wilderness Lodge! I am so excited to come back. We last stayed here in 2004.

I do have a quick question to all of you experts. Does the bathroom/sink area in the rooms have a magnifying mirror? I just need to know if I should pack mine if they don't. THANKS!!!

FUN!!!! One day I will do this.

I don't remember ever seeing a magnifying mirror.

Hey all! I have a 3 night CL stay coming up from the 13-16th with my grandmother. I have booked the fireworks dessert party as a surprise for her. Just looking for ideas of how to do the surprise? Just showing up seems kind of anticlimactic.

Also, first trip to WL, and first time CL! Anything I should know that wasn't in the first few pages? :thumbsup2 SO excited! Just got back from 3 nights offsite the 20-23 and ready for some lower crowds. :cool1:

Order a special cake to announce it the day before?

Hi btw from elsewhere ( I can't say lol ;)

Hello from the forbidden other internet land we can't talk about for some reason on the Dis! (;

It's booked for our arrival day is my issue. Otherwise I would totally do a cake.
I'm so stumped!

Now that the holidays are winding down, I'm getting excited for our trip to the DW in March. Please add us to the us to the list - staying for the first time at WL March 21-28, 2015. I'm traveling with my 18 year old DS for a special trip to the world. (first long trip without my DH - who traveled to the World for Off Kilter's last shows in September - I'm so sad they won't be performing at Epcot in March).

We have stayed offsite many times (at timeshares - love the space and resort feel - especially the Vistana Resort), Coronado Springs, Saratoga Springs, BWV (a few times) - one of my favorite resorts!. We are looking forward to our first MK area resort stay.

As time goes along, I am seriously thinking of taking at least 2 whole non park days (in addition to arrival/departure days) to enjoy the resort and also travel to Fort Wilderness. Top on my list (as long as weather cooperates) is to rent the sea racers and zip around the bay.

Thanks to everyone that have posted about their trips to the WL. I've been reading the posts the last couple of months, and it's been extremely helpful!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter