(CLOSED) Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE and VILLAS INFORMATION THREAD ~2014~

Status
Not open for further replies.
OnceUponATime and brmillsy, you are our Johnny-on-the-spots for splash pad and pool photos! Thank you for taking time out of your vacations to help us feel like we're right there with you:beach:

It now looks like they'll meet their revised 12/14 opening. I'm having a little trouble picturing how the slides work: Do the kids go so slowly down them that they gently reach the obstacle at the bottom and then they climb over the side to get out? I'm picturing some stumbling and slipping:confused3

Wow!!! Love the pictures and everything looks absolutely fantastic!! It appears all will be open come Tuesday when we arrive- this makes me so happy. It looks like the person I spoke to the other day was right about the 12/14 opening. I am so excited and so ready to be there- c'mom Tuesday!!!!!!

OnceUponATime and brmillsy, you are our Johnny-on-the-spots for splash pad and pool photos! Thank you for taking time out of your vacations to help us feel like we're right there with you:beach: It now looks like they'll meet their revised 12/14 opening. I'm having a little trouble picturing how the slides work: Do the kids go so slowly down them that they gently reach the obstacle at the bottom and then they climb over the side to get out? I'm picturing some stumbling and slipping:confused3

The slides have a short kind of steep (height/length) pitch... the bottom is kind of a trough, a few feet long with the ability to hold water & stop the kids from shooting off the end. If that makes sense...

DH and I just got back from 5 nights at WL. I am really not sure how my experience could have been so drastically different from some I've read from the same time period.

We checked in on Sunday 12/7 and left yesterday, 12/12
I'd booked woods view through Orbitz.
I didn't request anything directly or with Orbtiz, wanted to see what I got without. Just did online check in.
I requested upper floor, near elevator and early check in
We got room 5141, a Courtyard view, 5th floor, 2 doors from the elevator. And the room was ready when we arrived at 11:00 AM. Perfection. If we took the elevator down to the 1st floor we went out right on the path to the buses.

First, the pool was open the entire time. Now, it was too cold to swim with temps only in the lower 60's but there were poor life guards walking around it every day. We saw someone in there once or twice but it was too cold to have drawn many people. The slide had water running in it too. The pool wasn't cloudy, we could see through to the bottom with no problem.

Also, the Geyser was indeed erupting. I have photos of it going off but it's pretty hard to photograph from the angle of our room. It had the lake in the back ground so it didn't stand out in a photo

The splash pad was being worked on and did look close to completion when we returned from MK yesterday afternoon. Again, can't imagine it not being done was bothering a sole since it was way too cold to use. Looks like it is going to be very fun

We walked past the pool at WLV and there were a few hardy soles in it but with the temps it sure never got crowded.

We spent every morning at the resort and at no time did the construction bother us. We didn't hear anything in the room.

The scaffolding was up and sure not something that detracted from our stay. I'd rather have scaffolding then a Resort in disrepair. And they have to repair it sometime. I think the way they are doing it is the least disruptful that they can

We had a delightful stay, even if they did let Elsa loose on the temps for a few days. Could have done without that. ;)

DH and I just got back from 5 nights at WL. I am really not sure how my experience could have been so drastically different from some I've read from the same time period.

I would say your timing was better than mine. We checked in on Dec. 1st, and checked out on the 7th.

First, the pool was open the entire time. Now, it was too cold to swim with temps only in the lower 60's but there were poor life guards walking around it every day. We saw someone in there once or twice but it was too cold to have drawn many people. The slide had water running in it too. The pool wasn't cloudy, we could see through to the bottom with no problem.

Unfortunately, it was closed on Thursday, December 4th due to cloudiness in the water, and that was our pool day. The villas pool and hot tub were packed as you might imagine because the weather was beautiful.

Also, the Geyser was indeed erupting. I have photos of it going off but it's pretty hard to photograph from the angle of our room. It had the lake in the back ground so it didn't stand out in a photo

Again...better timing for you. The geyser wasn't functioning during our stay.

The splash pad was being worked on and did look close to completion when we returned from MK yesterday afternoon. Again, can't imagine it not being done was bothering a sole since it was way too cold to use. Looks like it is going to be very fun

I totally agree that it looks like it will be very fun, although it wasn't close to completion during our stay.

We walked past the pool at WLV and there were a few hardy soles in it but with the temps it sure never got crowded.

I think we had better weather than you.

We spent every morning at the resort and at no time did the construction bother us. We didn't hear anything in the room.

We stayed at VWL and also didn't hear construction in the room. We did hear quite a bit outside though.

The scaffolding was up and sure not something that detracted from our stay. I'd rather have scaffolding then a Resort in disrepair. And they have to repair it sometime. I think the way they are doing it is the least disruptful that they can

While I agree about the scaffolding being better than a resort in disrepair, it felt like one more exterior issue on the back of the resort. I'm sure you also had the benefit of the beautiful new gardens around the pool and waterfall. All of that was ripped out and replanted during our stay.

It makes sense that a stay further out from the November 27th projected date of construction would have less construction as things are completed, and more working elements (geyser). I know you've commented before that you aren't too interested in resort pools, so the construction wouldn't be a big deal to you. That's a good thing for you. We did feel the impact of the construction while outside at the resort. We had a good trip, but it wasn't what we hoped it would be. Fortunately for everyone, it looks as though all this is wrapping up, and will be finished very soon.

5 DAYS 'til WHEELS UP! ...
after a couple of days at POR, it'll be check-in day next Sunday! :cool1:

I hate to say it, but I'm already dreading leaving Orlando and coming back to our home. :guilty:

It makes sense that a stay further out from the November 27th projected date of construction would have less construction as things are completed, and more working elements (geyser). I know you've commented before that you aren't too interested in resort pools, so the construction wouldn't be a big deal to you. That's a good thing for you. We did feel the impact of the construction while outside at the resort. We had a good trip, but it wasn't what we hoped it would be. Fortunately for everyone, it looks as though all this is wrapping up, and will be finished very soon.

The reports I were commenting about were ones done on dates that did overlap our trip, not from before, like yours. I wish that they had the ability to do repairs and never let guests see them happen but simply not possible. Things have to be upgraded, changed and improved and sadly, it does impact guests. The one thing I was hoping to point out is while some have reported that the construction really impacted their trips I wanted to mention that others did not find it a problem, even on the same exact dates. And in the case of our trips it is a good example of how fast things can change in regards to the construction.

I'd booked woods view through Orbitz.
I didn't request anything directly or with Orbtiz, wanted to see what I got without. Just did online check in.
I requested upper floor, near elevator and early check in
We got room 5141, a Courtyard view, 5th floor, 2 doors from the elevator. And the room was ready when we arrived at 11:00 AM. Perfection. If we took the elevator down to the 1st floor we went out right on the path to the buses.

We had a delightful stay, even if they did let Elsa loose on the temps for a few days. Could have done without that. ;)

Thanks for the update.

We were there 12/6-12/11.

The pool slide was closed the day we arrived and the pool was closed another day when we were there. Despite the temperatures, we would have liked to have enjoyed the pool, but the heater was not working for the length of our trip. That's likely why the pool was empty. What's the point of having it open if it's still in so much disrepair that it can't be enjoyed?

We chose WL in part because of the pool, so it did put a damper on things.

24 hours to go and we will be one the plane headed to Disney!! So excited all the work and planning is now done and we are all full of such anticipation. The excitement is building....does anyone happen to know if the pools and hot tubs are now open?? It appears the main pool is and they had heater working so that is a plus just want to know for sure that all is now open. Thanks.

We're here now, can't give a pool update because we've been at the parks like maniacs. Did see them testing the splash pad Saturday, and have seen people running around in bathing suits. I'll do this morning's coffee run and see if I can gather some intel.

I just wanted to share some amazing pixie dust we got. We're staying on a cash reservation in the Villas, and reserved a 1 bedroom. When we arrived Saturday around 11:30 a.m., we were told our room wasn't ready but that they'd text us when it was. I thought she said something about a 2 bedroom, but I figured she misspoke because we had a 1 bedroom reserved. We went to MK for a few hours, went to Chef Mickey's for dinner, got back later than we expected and were given our room number...5540. She said it was a two bedroom, and I told her to double check to make sure. Then I asked her what rate we have, and yep...the rate didn't go up! Total pixie dust.

We got to our room, and it's amazing. It's a dedicated two bedroom, the kids each have a queen bed to sleep in, we have a king, two full bathrooms, and a HUGE, double-long balcony with a woods view.

We've NEVER had any luck with room requests...never had one granted once, so I didn't make any when I checked in. And this is what we got. This room is beyond our wildest dreams.

Oh, and the Lodge is beautiful with all the decorations. :)

I just went over to the main pool and the hot tubs are still not open however they are heated that is for sure as stream is pouring off them.

The splash pad was totally drained yesterday and today they are working on some PVC piping so I'm assuming they had an issue they needed to correct before they could open it. Looks like they are just about done but I'm sure they will have to let things set and then test it again.

Since the hot tubs are heated it must be soon.

Anyway don't worry the pool is open and heated and the villas pool and hot tub is open and heated and there are very few people in either one most of the day.

I must have missed this, does anyone know if there is oatmeal in the CL lounge for breakfast?

:wave2: Morning! Hope those down there have a great trip! Enjoy the holiday décor too!

I must have missed this, does anyone know if there is oatmeal in the CL lounge for breakfast?
There was when we were there at the beginning of December ... It was so delicious .... We had it every day.
3B7C0E19-E315-4D51-BC7B-CE5607ABA105_zpshvqt8y82.jpg

24 hours to go and we will be one the plane headed to Disney!! So excited all the work and planning is now done and we are all full of such anticipation. The excitement is building....does anyone happen to know if the pools and hot tubs are now open?? It appears the main pool is and they had heater working so that is a plus just want to know for sure that all is now open. Thanks.

Have a wonderful stay! We'll be there in 37 days!!!

We were there 12/6-12/11.

The pool slide was closed the day we arrived and the pool was closed another day when we were there. Despite the temperatures, we would have liked to have enjoyed the pool, but the heater was not working for the length of our trip. That's likely why the pool was empty. What's the point of having it open if it's still in so much disrepair that it can't be enjoyed?

We chose WL in part because of the pool, so it did put a damper on things.

Was there from the 3rd to the 10th. I asked for and got a $50 credit for the day it was cloudy and closed. After that the pool was open but as you say with a broken heater. Then it rained and then on our last day (the 9th) it was very cold outside when they finally opened the slide. My son wanted to try it so he took a quick dip in the freezing cold and freezing pool to ride the slide 3 times. We then moved to the springs pool which was nice and warm. Overall, for our stay, we enjoyed the springs pool and it still had a gimmick (the springs) for my son to enjoy.

There was when we were there at the beginning of December ... It was so delicious .... We had it every day.
3B7C0E19-E315-4D51-BC7B-CE5607ABA105_zpshvqt8y82.jpg

Thanks so much!!! My favorite club level breakfast too:goodvibes

Going to show dd your pic, it will make her day! Thanks for taking the time to post it.:thumbsup2

I just went over to the main pool and the hot tubs are still not open however they are heated that is for sure as stream is pouring off them.

The splash pad was totally drained yesterday and today they are working on some PVC piping so I'm assuming they had an issue they needed to correct before they could open it. Looks like they are just about done but I'm sure they will have to let things set and then test it again.

Since the hot tubs are heated it must be soon.

Anyway don't worry the pool is open and heated and the villas pool and hot tub is open and heated and there are very few people in either one most of the day.

I finally walked over for my coffee around 10ish this morning, and the hot tubs were open by then. There was a guest sitting in one of them. I dipped my foot in the pool (which was also open) and it was very, very warm, but no one was in it. There were three very bored looking lifeguards on duty.

Splash pad was being worked on when I went by. When we arrived Saturday it had water and was running (not open, but seemed to be in testing) but there were some construction type workers working on some machinery (a pump? maybe) in a hatch near the hot tubs.

There is very little scaffolding left on the Lodge. I almost didn't even notice it, but I guess if you like hanging out in the closed off areas, then you'd probably notice. I saw one worker caulking the gutters, and could hear some type of power tool going, but not sure what that was. They were also doing some painting on the ground level near the Roaring Fork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter