(CLOSED) Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE and VILLAS INFORMATION THREAD ~2013~

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that there have been previous post :thumbsup2 re: Magic Bands being available for WL
1.) are people still getting them? :cheer2:
2.) how long out should you check to see if they are available is it when you do your online check in? :coffee:
3.) What if your travel agent is doing your online check in, and it isn't there - how often should I check back? :flower3:

We are 80 days out and it seems soooo far away - I just can't stand it....:cloud9:

Thanks for all of your help!!!!! :grouphug:

I'm staying Pop in October and WL in December. I've been going through the entire Next Gen process for my Pop stay. This was my approximate timeline:

At about 57 days out from Pop; when I clicked on Magic Bands, it said I could customize them. Also when I clicked on Fastpass+, it went from saying I wasn't in the correct window to being able to pick FP+.

This past Saturday was my last day (30 days before arrival) to be able to customize the MB. They arrived on Tuesday. I got an email today inviting me for the Pop testing.

I did enter my Annual Pass into MDE before the 60 day mark and made sure my reservation confirmation number was linked into MDE. I also did online check-in when it popped up at the 60 day out.

The colors for the Magic Bands did not show up immediately. I think it was about a week after it said I could customize before anything other than gray was available.

Of course at this point in time, everything is subject to change;) But I would not expect anything until you see online check-in is available. Whether you need to do online check in or not... some people say you do and some people say you don't. But in the instructions I got today with the test invite, it did say to be sure that your reservation is linked in MDE. Also to be sure that everyone on your reservation shows up correctly in MDE. If you can't see your reservation on your MDE, then you need to get the confirmation number from your travel agent and do the "find reservation" in MDE.

We took pictures when we got on and off of transportation to record the travel times. These times were from a low crowd time in September 2013. Keep in mind these times don't include waiting for the boat or bus to arrive (which can be the biggest variable) but it lets you know approximately how long to expect once it arrives.

Buses:

Animal Kingdom:
Bus via GF: 29 min
22 min return bus shared with GF

Epcot:
Bus via FW: 23 min
15 min return bus shared with FW

Hollywood Studios:
Bus via GF: 21 min;

Magic Kingdom:
Direct bus: 5 min to/from

Blizzard Beach:
Bus via GF:23 min
13 min return bus shared with GF

Typhoon Lagoon:
Bus via GF: 20 min
15 min return bus

Downtown Disney Marketplace:
Bus via GF: 26 min
24 min return bus shared with GF

Boats:

Red Flag boat:
12 min to/from MK

Red/Green Flag boat:
20 min to/from MK via FW (used at off peak times to serve both FW and WL with one larger boat)

Blue Flag boat:
5 min direct to/from CR
5 min direct to/from FW
14 min CR via FW
14 min FW via CR

silly question but does one of the boats go to all the other magic kingdom resorts?

I'm staying Pop in October and WL in December. I've been going through the entire Next Gen process for my Pop stay. This was my approximate timeline: At about 57 days out from Pop; when I clicked on Magic Bands, it said I could customize them. Also when I clicked on Fastpass+, it went from saying I wasn't in the correct window to being able to pick FP+. This past Saturday was my last day (30 days before arrival) to be able to customize the MB. They arrived on Tuesday. I got an email today inviting me for the Pop testing. I did enter my Annual Pass into MDE before the 60 day mark and made sure my reservation confirmation number was linked into MDE. I also did online check-in when it popped up at the 60 day out. The colors for the Magic Bands did not show up immediately. I think it was about a week after it said I could customize before anything other than gray was available. Of course at this point in time, everything is subject to change;) But I would not expect anything until you see online check-in is available. Whether you need to do online check in or not... some people say you do and some people say you don't. But in the instructions I got today with the test invite, it did say to be sure that your reservation is linked in MDE. Also to be sure that everyone on your reservation shows up correctly in MDE. If you can't see your reservation on your MDE, then you need to get the confirmation number from your travel agent and do the "find reservation" in MDE.

We arrive at WL 10/27. DH chose to keep his gray band. I picked red. DS6 picked green. DS2 picked blue. It said that I had xx days to select my choices. Disney just send gray or holds gray for people at the front desk who do not select on time (guessing 30 days out). My husband contacted a friend who works for Disney. The friend said the testing is officially over. He works for the spa, so he was not sure when it would be fully rolled out. I am guessing it is happening soon, because many people staying at different places in October are getting them. Based on the fact that you got an email specifically mentioning testing, I am now second guessing his information. However, I am guessing that everyone staying on site after October will have access to magic bands from here on out. Hopefully, those arriving in November will get to start customizing soon.

silly question but does one of the boats go to all the other magic kingdom resorts?

One goes directly to MK. The other goes to FW and CR. If you want to get to the Poly or GF, you need two modes of transportation as nothing travels there directly (except an occasional bus headed to a park that may also stop at one of those first). The bus routes change based on the time of year and crowd level. I would simply ask the bus driver when he/she arrives if he/she will be making any stops or go directly to the park.

Not from the Wilderness Lodge, no.

Blue Flag Boats - Loop of Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary and Ft. Wilderness
Red Flag Boats - From Wilderness Lodge to MK and back
Green Flag Boats - From Ft. Wilderness to MK and back

Gold Flag boats - Loop of GF, Poly and MK

21 days until my family and I leave for our brief stay at AKL KV (savannah view!), 24 days until our stay at the Villas...it will be good to go home, we tried a few other resorts the last few trips, but nothing compares to WL.

We took pictures when we got on and off of transportation to record the travel times. These times were from a low crowd time in September 2013. Keep in mind these times don't include waiting for the boat or bus to arrive (which can be the biggest variable) but it lets you know approximately how long to expect once it arrives.

Buses:

Animal Kingdom:

Epcot:

Hollywood Studios:

Magic Kingdom:

Blizzard Beach:

Typhoon Lagoon:
15 min return bus

Boats:

Red Flag boat:
12 min to/from MK

Red/Green Flag boat:
20 min to/from MK via FW (used at off peak times to serve both FW and WL with one larger boat)

Blue Flag boat:
5 min direct to/from CR
5 min direct to/from FW
14 min CR via FW
14 min FW via CR

Thanks!! This helps me know which bus to take to get to the GF for tea

Thanks for posting the transportation times. I was good at guessing how long the boat rides were, but the bus rides seemed a lot longer, although I'm guessing that your times are pretty close to what we experienced. ;) Our AK bus picked up at FW and skipped Blizzard Beach, but it still must have been about 1/2 hour ride.

By the way, today is the one year anniversary of the day I "found" and joined the Dis boards. And GC had just finished his trip last year and was posting lots of pictures of the lodge. It was very helpful for someone who had never stayed at the WL before. :)

I see love seeing everyone's pictures and hearing about their trip. :goodvibes

Sorry - im sure this has been asked before (im still trying to get through the whole thread :surfweb:) but what you recommend location wise for a woods view room? Are some better than others? I would assume trees are just trees lol but does one location work out better than others?

Sorry - im sure this has been asked before (im still trying to get through the whole thread :surfweb:) but what you recommend location wise for a woods view room? Are some better than others? I would assume trees are just trees lol but does one location work out better than others?

Most of the woods view rooms are in the north wing and face the woods, of course. ;) The highest floors in the north wing might have a view of the castle and Wishes. But the 6th floor of the north wing have dormer, or closed, balconies. I like the north wing because it is convenient to the elevator that is closest to Roaring Forks and the boat dock. There are a few woods view rooms that are above the lobby area. There is a floor plan map on the first page of this thread which shows the room categories. :)

a3b7118f-e7f4-4e14-b6fc-68d1bb5ff595_zps2ec30539.jpg

I think that the woods view rooms in the south wing look mostly at the villas, but I'm not sure.

Buses:

Animal Kingdom:

Epcot:

Hollywood Studios:

Magic Kingdom:

Blizzard Beach:

Typhoon Lagoon:
15 min return bus

Boats:

Red Flag boat:
12 min to/from MK

Red/Green Flag boat:

Blue Flag boat:
5 min direct to/from CR
5 min direct to/from FW
14 min CR via FW
14 min FW via CR

Great information, thanks!

Most of the woods view rooms are in the north wing and face the woods, of course. ;) The highest floors in the north wing might have a view of the castle and Wishes. But the 6th floor of the north wing have dormer, or closed, balconies. I like the north wing because it is convenient to the elevator that is closest to Roaring Forks and the boat dock. There are a view woods view rooms that are above the lobby area. There is a floor plan map on the first page of this thread which shows the room categories. :)

I think that the woods view rooms in the south wing look mostly at the villas, but I'm not sure.

Wow thanks so much! That is so helpful! :thumbsup2

Stayed at the WL several times, but never in a Courtyard view like our trip next month. What is a good room request to see Bay Lake, but be close to the pool. I don't think we'll see any Wishes fireworks from the Courtyard views, so Bay Lake will be almost as good!

Also, are room requests still being sent a few days before your check-in?

Stayed at the WL several times, but never in a Courtyard view like our trip next month. What is a good room request to see Bay Lake, but be close to the pool. I don't think we'll see any Wishes fireworks from the Courtyard views, so Bay Lake will be almost as good! Also, are room requests still being sent a few days before your check-in?

The biggest request to make for Courtyard View is "Inner Courtyard" so that you will overlook the main pool and Bay Lake instead of the Villas courtyard (which some "courtyard view" rooms in the South wing overlook).

We call the regular reservation number to make our requests so they are noted in our reservation early. We understand that these are sent to the room assignor at the resort a few days before our arrival. Note that this is independent of online check in, which can be done to pre enter credit card info, but does not have as many specific request options.

Have a great time and enjoy your trip.

The biggest request to make for Courtyard View is "Inner Courtyard" so that you will overlook the main pool and Bay Lake instead of the Villas courtyard (which some "courtyard view" rooms in the South wing overlook).

We call the regular reservation number to make our requests so they are noted in our reservation early. We understand that these are sent to the room assignor at the resort a few days before our arrival. Note that this is independent of online check in, which can be done to pre enter credit card info, but does not have as many specific request options.

Have a great time and enjoy your trip.

Thank you very much! I will call CRO to get this noted on our reservation.

I am reading a lot about balconies. I have a confession. Balconies freak me out. Especially with kids. What type of request should I make ( you know, a year from now when it comes time to make a request)? We will have a 15 month old. So I'm thinking if asking for a close balcony or a second floor? Second floor doesn't scare me as much. :/ are here ground door rooms at WL or is the ground floor just restaurants and stuff?

Two weeks from today...I'll be checking in to my Woods View bunk bed room! I can hardly wait!!!:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Thanks for posting that map with the color coded views. My only request was high floor. I prefer not to be ground level.

What should we do first when we get there? Right now, I am thinking boat to MK.....but it could also be the pool! :beach:

I am reading a lot about balconies. I have a confession. Balconies freak me out. Especially with kids. What type of request should I make ( you know, a year from now when it comes time to make a request)? We will have a 15 month old. So I'm thinking if asking for a close balcony or a second floor? Second floor doesn't scare me as much. :/ are here ground door rooms at WL or is the ground floor just restaurants and stuff?

The closed balconies feel more secure, but an issue with them and kids is the kids wanting to see out from them, and then having to climb up (scary) or be held. We feel pretty secure with the balconies at WL, but our DD doesn't go out there by herself. The enclosed balconies are generally only on the top floor of a given section (6th floor at the ends of the wings, 7th for the lobby and West portions of the wings), but there are a few exceptions (like the 4th floor Standard view South wing rooms that open to the lobby and are enclosed).

There are plenty of ground floor rooms at WL both in the North and South wing. That's also where most 2nd-3rd floor rooms are because rooms that are open to the lobby section don't start until the 4th floor.

Happy planning and enjoy your trip!

Thanks for posting the transportation times. I was good at guessing how long the boat rides were, but the bus rides seemed a lot longer, although I'm guessing that your times are pretty close to what we experienced. ;) Our AK bus picked up at FW and skipped Blizzard Beach, but it still must have been about 1/2 hour ride.

By the way, today is the one year anniversary of the day I "found" and joined the Dis boards. And GC had just finished his trip last year and was posting lots of pictures of the lodge. It was very helpful for someone who had never stayed at the WL before. :)

I see love seeing everyone's pictures and hearing about their trip. :goodvibes

What a fun year it has been. :thumbsup2 Now you are getting ready for your follow up visit to the lodge. Visiting there sure can be addicting.

We did see some variation in the boat times, especially with how long they spent waiting at a resort. We loved being out on Bay lake though, so the time usually wasn't a big issue. On the buses the wait felt pretty boring, but that's when I would visit the DIS boards on my phone. One time we got stuck behind a horse and carriage at GF that added 7 minutes to the trip, but felt longer.

We will start our TR soon. It looks like we got a lot of fun pictures and should have some neat stories to tell. This year we spent a lot of time at the Poly, but still wouldn't choose to stay there over the WL. We just feel like we found our home. :grouphug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter