(CLOSED) Disney's CONTEMPORARY RESORT and BAY LAKE TOWER INFORMATION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, WDWKOOK! We are staying in the garden wing 8/21-8/25. Do we have a completion date for the refurbs? Thanks again for all your time!!
You're welcome and the official rehab completion is two days from today - 22 March!

Is it best to stay at CR when DS is 4 months old or a toddler??? More than likely return trips will not be at a monorail resort. I see the advantage of staying here when DS is older so you are not risking waking up during bus trips if he's sleeping? But with a baby he will be sleeping so much more... Obviously we could go at 4 months this fall, and then maybe again... But that is less likely... Also for the 4 month trip we would be CL which I think would have some advantages as well. Decisions decisions, what to do.

It is best to stay there all the time!!!!! We never did a stroller there, but really wish we had. But, having a 2,3,4 year old sleeping on you on a long bus ride back to a value resort on a super crowded bus is not a pleasant experience. Good luck in your decision.

Yes, the poster I was responding to mentioned having booked a Tower MKV. Acronyms, etc... can get confusing sometimes as Tower refers to the CR Tower (as opposed to the Garden Wing) and not BLT which is Bay Lake Tower.

It's almost time for your trip!!!

It doesn't help that I have 2 tabs open for different DIS Board threads! haha! When I booked this trip back in July, it seemed like FOREVER away and now we are almost to our "2 days until..." So excited and can't wait to arrive!!

Again, this thread is amazing and so full of information. Thank you x100000000000!!

We are super excited about our trip-- really soon now-- and we have a few last minute questions.

Seems like I have seen on this thread both regular coffeemakers and Keurigs in the one bedroom villas. Anyone who has been there very recently who can report definitively?

Any glitches with the pay as you play housekeeping to report? Is it as simple as calling housekeeping for towels and they bring them (and charge the room $6?)

Is there space in the one bedroom to maneuver an ECV into the bedroom, or should we make a special request for that?

Can anyone at the hotel turn our tickets into RFID KTTW cards? We did not get a package, but did get the tickets from Disney. Where can they do that-- concierge? Front desk?

And, once and for all: are we better off checking in at BLT or the Contemporary? We are taking ME and we will have a grocery delivery from Disney Personal Shopper and rental ECV and stroller being delivered check in day-- where it the best place to check in and collect that stuff? We have done our online checking.

It is best to stay there all the time!!!!! We never did a stroller there, but really wish we had. But, having a 2,3,4 year old sleeping on you on a long bus ride back to a value resort on a super crowded bus is not a pleasant experience. Good luck in your decision.

TOTALLY AGREE! DO BOTH! I went when DS was 7 months last September and we'll be going again this September. Monorail is the only way to go and I can't pass up the walk and decor of the contemporary. I do look forward to the Poly again some day....but for now, seems to be the best of all worlds for us. SOOOO easy. But be forewarned, we are doing BLT and it is hard to give up the villas once you start!

Once we don't have the double stroller, we'll probably jump over to WL for a bit, then a journey over to the Epcot resorts. Can you tell I've been thinking about this? Disney will be an annual event for my kids as long as they love it...just like my wonderful grandparents and mom did for us! SOOOOO many happy memories! :)

Good luck with your decision. At 4 mos, there really isn't a bad decision. They sleep when they feel like it if it is stroller or hotel, etc. It gets harder when they get older and need a bed an quiet. So stay where YOU like this time because pretty soon, you'll be all about location!

We are super excited about our trip-- really soon now-- and we have a few last minute questions.

Seems like I have seen on this thread both regular coffeemakers and Keurigs in the one bedroom villas. Anyone who has been there very recently who can report definitively?

Any glitches with the pay as you play housekeeping to report? Is it as simple as calling housekeeping for towels and they bring them (and charge the room $6?)

Is there space in the one bedroom to maneuver an ECV into the bedroom, or should we make a special request for that?

Can anyone at the hotel turn our tickets into RFID KTTW cards? We did not get a package, but did get the tickets from Disney. Where can they do that-- concierge? Front desk?

And, once and for all: are we better off checking in at BLT or the Contemporary? We are taking ME and we will have a grocery delivery from Disney Personal Shopper and rental ECV and stroller being delivered check in day-- where it the best place to check in and collect that stuff? We have done our online checking.
Are you staying in BLT and a DVC member?
You just call for the towels and hskpg will charge the cost to you room.
You can check in at either building, the ecv and groceries will be delivered to BLT.
As for the ecv....thats up to you once you get to your room.
Keurigs are in suites and villas.
Not sure about transferring tix to your kttw cards.

Hi, CR fans. I am dreaming of my first stay in September and want to book prior to any possible free dining offers. We will only be there for 4 nights.

I need some suggestions on room requests. I will be booking a Garden room, standard view. I want to be close to the tower building and the walkway to MK. Do I want north or south? Low floor or high floor? Any thoughts are much appreciated!

I will be traveling by myself with a 7 yo and 5 yo. So excited!

Thanks,
Dani
North side of Garden wing is the closest to the tower and since you have kiddos you should request first floor

Two weeks will fly by. I hope you'll post about your stay when you get a chance:)

I would check in at CR since the concierge is located there and they can add the tix. The bellman can bring your luggage from CR to BLT or you can check in at BLT if you prefer.

You'll need to get your mugs at the CC. You can order room service from CR at BLT. Don't worry about OCI. It shouldn't be too bad checking in around 11 unless a large group of ME arrive . OCI just pre registers your credit card and gets your info. packet prepared before arrival, which isn't a big deal to do in person. You'll still need to place any room location requests in your reservation since OCI doesn't really let you do that.

That is far out. Could be a convention block:confused3. I checked and there aren't any marathons then. Hmmm...
There are concierge cast members at BLT that can assist you

:welcome: and I'm glad you like YOUR thread:goodvibes. Isn't the 40% off wonderful? I've really gotten used to it and wouldn't know what to do without it. You mentioned the 11th floor - is that your request? The Bay Lake View is our favorite - you're going to love it!

Thank you! Our request was any room with the discount, lol. When we booked in January (we thought we would not be able to go to Disney this year so we didn't book when the offer was first announced) there was only a Garden Wing Room and two CL rooms available with the discount. We took the GW room even though it was a king bed and we really wanted two beds. (The CL rooms were $1000.00 more for the week.) We were fine with the GW. We kept calling back every few days or so to try to get a room with two beds and last week the tower room opened up.pixiedust: I can not wait to sit on that balcony!!
After reading this thread, I see that it's possible to get a one bedroom in BLT with the discount. (?) Am I reading this correctly? Because that would be awesome!! If they announce this offer again, I will be on the phone within a second trying to get one, lol.

After reading this thread, I see that it's possible to get a one bedroom in BLT with the discount. (?) Am I reading this correctly? Because that would be awesome!! If they announce this offer again, I will be on the phone within a second trying to get one, lol.

I am curious to know the answer to this as well!! We are booked at the CR for next month with a 20% discount. When I look at deals for the BLT it says only 5%? I WAS calling once a week up until about a month ago to try and switch over, but then read about the 5% :(. Plus, there were never 1 BDRM TPV rooms avail when I called. :confused3

bus-depot-plans-2-500x270.jpg

Thanks. Looks like the work site is directly in front of BLT, but will be set back far enough that it probably won't dominate the view.

WDWMagic reports that construction will begin this week.

We are planning a 10 day stay at CR in early December. It's rare that I don't have to do some work over that length of time, and sometimes it does involve large amounts of data.

Is the Sprint 3G coverage reasonably stable?

We are staying at the Bay Lake towers (renting points) in June. We are then moving over to the Boardwalk (renting points again). My question is, will they move our luggage with us staying in the Bay Lake towers renting points?

I know they have done this for us before between the Poly and Beach Club but we weren't using the DVC rooms at that time.

Thanks for any feedback!

Hey, that's just what the bus driver told me, so I guess they're right sometimes:rotfl:
It doesn't help that I have 2 tabs open for different DIS Board threads! haha! When I booked this trip back in July, it seemed like FOREVER away and now we are almost to our "2 days until..." So excited and can't wait to arrive!!

Again, this thread is amazing and so full of information. Thank you x100000000000!!
Oooo, what were the other threads?

The one bedrooms are huge, about 1000 SF, plenty of room for your ECV, and popping a wheelie or two.

I've only seen the Cuisinart pods in the CR rooms and the Mr. Coffees in the villas. I believe that all DVC still have coffee pots only:

IMG_2374.jpg

And all Deluxes have the Cuisinart pods:

IMG_0098_2-1.jpg

Thank you! Our request was any room with the discount, lol. When we booked in January (we thought we would not be able to go to Disney this year so we didn't book when the offer was first announced) there was only a Garden Wing Room and two CL rooms available with the discount. We took the GW room even though it was a king bed and we really wanted two beds. (The CL rooms were $1000.00 more for the week.) We were fine with the GW. We kept calling back every few days or so to try to get a room with two beds and last week the tower room opened up.pixiedust: I can not wait to sit on that balcony!!
Yes, DVC villas are available with the 40% military discount. I booked a BLT one bedroom with it last August and have booked (but changed) other villas as well. The only rooms I haven't been able to book are suites and Deluxe rooms at WL, but I could book Deluxe rooms at BC and GF, (but I later changed those reservations).

I am curious to know the answer to this as well!! We are booked at the CR for next month with a 20% discount. When I look at deals for the BLT it says only 5%? I WAS calling once a week up until about a month ago to try and switch over, but then read about the 5% :(. Plus, there were never 1 BDRM TPV rooms avail when I called. :confused3
I've only used the military and AP discounts for the villas. I see that the general public discounts now vary, depending on resort. I hope a better rate comes available for you!

Thank you!

We are planning a 10 day stay at CR in early December. It's rare that I don't have to do some work over that length of time, and sometimes it does involve large amounts of data.

Is the Sprint 3G coverage reasonably stable?
I've had no problems with Verizon 3G, though the free WiFi can slow to a halt and then you have to log-out and re-log-in to get it started again.

We are staying at the Bay Lake towers (renting points) in June. We are then moving over to the Boardwalk (renting points again). My question is, will they move our luggage with us staying in the Bay Lake towers renting points?

I know they have done this for us before between the Poly and Beach Club but we weren't using the DVC rooms at that time.

Thanks for any feedback!
Yes, Bell Services will move your luggage from BLT to BWV, but it can take a while (I think they predict up to 3 hours?), so make sure you have everything you might need until it gets transferred.

From MousePlanet and I heard this on DIS Unplugged 3/19:

Walt Disney World annual passholders can now trade in their paper cards for plastic cards equipped with RFID chips to allow entry through the new turnstile-free gates. Passholders can make the exchange at the Odyssey in Epcot anytime before May 20, and as a bonus there are some props on exhibit there while you wait your turn. Premier passholders still need to wait for more information before exchanging passes.

WOOOHOOOOO!!!! Inside my 180 days and just got all my ressies! Including a BOG! Twice! Makes me feel a little guilty to go twice but we ARE there for a week. And will go to the MK every day but once when we will go to Epcot. And let's face it, there just isn't that much that is very good to eat at MK so BOG is going to be a delight twice!

Thank you Tinkerbelle for the Pixie Dust!!!

Now what the heck and I supposed to do for six months. Oh wait, I'm going to go to AKL in a couple of weeks for a few days to do my AK park fun! Stupid annual pass. Disney has taken too much money from me this year....... ha!

Now....I have a dream. And it is called BLT grand villa. Must start saving so MAYBE in two years I can figure out a way to make that happen......

Hey, that's just what the bus driver told me, so I guess they're right sometimes:rotfl:

I thought they were always right.

WOOOHOOOOO!!!! Inside my 180 days and just got all my ressies! Including a BOG! Twice! Makes me feel a little guilty to go twice but we ARE there for a week. And will go to the MK every day but once when we will go to Epcot. And let's face it, there just isn't that much that is very good to eat at MK so BOG is going to be a delight twice!

Now....I have a dream. And it is called BLT grand villa. Must start saving so MAYBE in two years I can figure out a way to make that happen......

Congrats on the BoG. We are hoping to get one in October this year. I wouldn't go to the same restaurant twice in the same trip, but I wouldn't feel guilty about it. I think there was another thread out there, but I would live in the GV at BLT if possible. Maybe I'll ask a bus driver how to do that .... :lmao:

bus-depot-plans-2-500x270.jpg

Thanks. Looks like the work site is directly in front of BLT, but will be set back far enough that it probably won't dominate the view.

I have a BLT MK view booked for next month. Im also hoping that this doesnt block the nice view. :faint:

on another note though, just recieved our paperwork and tags for ME yesterday. :earsboy:

We recently returned and stayed in an amazing 1 bedroom at BLT. The space, the space!!

As for coffee makers, it was a regular one, not a K cup.

Bell services will certainly do a resort to resort transfer of bags!

I definitely recommend Garden Grocer. Couldn't have been easier! When our room was ready, Bell Services brought our transferred bags and groceries (cold was properly stored) to the room.

I told DH that as a child, I used to want to stay at every resort once. Of course, there were a lot fewer resorts then! But now CR/BLT is home. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter