(CLOSED) Disney's CONTEMPORARY RESORT and BAY LAKE TOWER INFORMATION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had that exact same situation -- we were in a 1BR for the first 4 days and had a studio for the last night. Our waitlist for the 1BR for the last night came through within a couple of weeks, so now we don't have to move. Note: that last night is the Saturday night of the week before Easter, spring break week and we still got our waitlist, so you never know. A little advice -- if it doesn't come through on your waitlist, then ask when you check in. Perhaps they can work it out for you. Can't hurt.

Thanks! The last night is a Thursday (12/12), so I am hoping it works out. I love the convenience and theming of BLT.

OH NO, I am sorry DD is sick :crazy2: My DS had it last week and it was quick moving. I hope she is feeling better quickly. BoG sounds wonderful, we tried to go for lunch when we were there in Feb, but they were having "magical issues" :confused3

Thanks! It was only one night, but we were both up all night:sad2: The next AM, sent DH off to EPCOT with DD2 and then I went in later with DD2. We got the "no expiration" option added to DD1's ticket since we didn't want her going in and making anyone else sick:scared: She was also pretty wiped! We flew home yesterday and she was well enough and not catchy anymore to fly thank goodness! It was unfortunate that we had such a short trip and no time to switch things up, but her dad has an office in FLL and promised her she can fly down with him next Jan when she has a long college break. She can hang at the pool while dad works and then they can go to WDW for the weekend together:thumbsup2

After I get caught up with shopping and laundry, I will be back with a proper review...we loved BLT- the facility is beautiful and you simply can't beat the convenience! But I might take some heat for this, but WDW overall disappointed. :sad: I have never seen the cast grumpier or the bathrooms filthier...it was shocking to me! It wasn't enough to ruin our trip, just enough to make me think that WDW was the same as "anyplace else in the world" and in the past it was always "unlike anyplace else in the world" I'll have more details on our experience. :sad2:

Overall, it was a terrific trip, but I was surprised that in this economy to see that people were not doing their jobs properly:rolleyes:

I have a few questions about how BLT releases rooms. We currently have 2 rooms booked at CR (MK view) for Dec 7-14, but we really wanted a 2bdr BLT MK view. Everything is booked right now, but should I keep looking? Does DVC have a waitlist? We would be a cash reservation, so I realize that would have last pick at the room, but if someone will tell me that there is less than a 10% chance of getting a 2bdr at BLT, then I would just stop looking. Our TA told us that sometimes DVC rooms open up at the 6 month mark... but that didn't sound right to me.

We will be perfectly happy with what we have now, but we kinda wanted to change it up this year. I know we were going at a popular week, I just didn't realize how popular it was :goodvibes

Babyberger, thanks for the information. If I may ask,how did you discover ds had a wheat allergy? We have been asked to do a food study but I'm not sure how I feel about it.

We cruise as well and we do get a balcony but because the Disney ships have the plexiglas walls I feel safer. We ask the room steward to remove the furniture but when they were babies crawling out on the balcony was great.

Btw Andover looked like a blizzard yesterday but as we drove back to the south shore it was a really wet snow/rain. Can't wait for Florida ;)

I will be in a Lake View studio with my 3 yo and am trying to figure out location requests.
I see references to trying to get on the 5th floor for skybridge access - is needing to take the elevator that much of a hassle? It will be just me and DS and a stroller, so stairs are out.
Are there any other location requests you recommend with a little kid and stroller involved? I have seen some mentions of the EWP being noisy, but we're not too sensitive to noise.
Also, assuming my room doesn't have a view of Wishes, is the skybridge my best best for a viewing location? Would going over to the Contemporary be better? (We are renting points, so my understanding is that we can't use the Top of the World lounge.)
Welcome! Unless you are accompanied by the DVC owner who rented the points to you, then you're correct that you can't go to the TOTWL. I know that you can see the EWP from the Skybridge, but I thought I read once that they weren't going to allow guests to watch Wishes from the Skybridge - hopefully someone will chime in here.

I don't think it's a hassle to take an elevator. Unless you use stairs or are on the ground floor, you'd always have to take one anyone so I don't think it matters much whether you're taking them one flight or five so I wouldn't worry about that since you have a stroller anyway.

You can also see Wishes from the grounds of BLT/CR, a boat or the monorail, but if you want to be higher, your only choice would be a MKV room, CA Grill (which is closed until late summer) or the 4th floor observation deck at the CR which has been closed due to the roof repair.

The EWP can be heard even with your door closed, it's pretty late at CR/BLT - 10:10 so if you go to bed earlier than that and you're in a LV room, you'll probably hear it, but it's all good!

Subscribing ... Great thread with a ton of information
Thank you and :welcome: fflmaster! I'm glad you've found it useful:)

Thanks! It was only one night, but we were both up all night:sad2: The next AM, sent DH off to EPCOT with DD2 and then I went in later with DD2. We got the "no expiration" option added to DD1's ticket since we didn't want her going in and making anyone else sick:scared: She was also pretty wiped! We flew home yesterday and she was well enough and not catchy anymore to fly thank goodness! It was unfortunate that we had such a short trip and no time to switch things up, but her dad has an office in FLL and promised her she can fly down with him next Jan when she has a long college break. She can hang at the pool while dad works and then they can go to WDW for the weekend together:thumbsup2

After I get caught up with shopping and laundry, I will be back with a proper review...we loved BLT- the facility is beautiful and you simply can't beat the convenience! But I might take some heat for this, but WDW overall disappointed. :sad: I have never seen the cast grumpier or the bathrooms filthier...it was shocking to me! It wasn't enough to ruin our trip, just enough to make me think that WDW was the same as "anyplace else in the world" and in the past it was always "unlike anyplace else in the world" I'll have more details on our experience. :sad2:

Overall, it was a terrific trip, but I was surprised that in this economy to see that people were not doing their jobs properly:rolleyes:
Thanks much for your pre-TR review. It's really helpful for others to hear about the pros and cons. I always appreciate an honest review - the good, the bad and the ugly.

I have a few questions about how BLT releases rooms. We currently have 2 rooms booked at CR (MK view) for Dec 7-14, but we really wanted a 2bdr BLT MK view. Everything is booked right now, but should I keep looking? Does DVC have a waitlist? We would be a cash reservation, so I realize that would have last pick at the room, but if someone will tell me that there is less than a 10% chance of getting a 2bdr at BLT, then I would just stop looking. Our TA told us that sometimes DVC rooms open up at the 6 month mark... but that didn't sound right to me.

We will be perfectly happy with what we have now, but we kinda wanted to change it up this year. I know we were going at a popular week, I just didn't realize how popular it was :goodvibes
I'm going to let a DVC expert chime in here:listen:

Babyberger, thanks for the information.
I also want to thank the lovely and talented babyberger/Melissa for all her help answering questions:hug:

We are staying in the Garden Wing. We have a garden view just wondering what the view well be. We walked over there earlier this month but didn't really look around because at that time we had no plans to stay here.

We are staying in the Garden Wing. We have a garden view just wondering what the view well be. We walked over there earlier this month but didn't really look around because at that time we had no plans to stay here.
There are three possible Garden View views:

Bay Lake/Sand
Pool/Marina/Grass
Canal/Grass/Trees

These views can be requested, but not guaranteed. Just call the WDTC to have one added to your reservation.

There are three possible Garden View views:

Bay Lake/Sand
Pool/Marina/Grass
Canal/Grass/Trees

These views can be requested, but not guaranteed. Just call the WDTC to have one added to your reservation.

Thanks I would love a view of Bay Lake. Guell I'll be calling about two weeks before we go.

Thanks I would love a view of Bay Lake. Guell I'll be calling about two weeks before we go.
You're welcome. You can add room requests to your reservation anytime, as long as it's at least 5 days prior to arrival, which is around the time the reservation will be dropped into the resort's reservation system and then the room assignor will see it.

Babyberger, thanks for the information. If I may ask,how did you discover ds had a wheat allergy? We have been asked to do a food study but I'm not sure how I feel about it.

We cruise as well and we do get a balcony but because the Disney ships have the plexiglas walls I feel safer. We ask the room steward to remove the furniture but when they were babies crawling out on the balcony was great.

Btw Andover looked like a blizzard yesterday but as we drove back to the south shore it was a really wet snow/rain. Can't wait for Florida ;)

I am going to send you a PM, so I dont bore the site :upsidedow

Were you trying to reserve the room thru a point rental or cash? So, I am anything but an expert, but my understanding of the DVC resorts is that a certain % of the rooms at each resort are set aside for cash reservations. So, just like any other resort at WDW, one should be able to book a room for a certain time period if there is availability. Or, one could try to rent DVC points for a stay at BLT. Dec 7-14 is a real popular time with DVCers as it is a lower point period and lower crowd levels at WDW. Thus, if your TA says that is booked, there may not be any currently open thru either the cash or point rental system. There may still be a chance one comes available, but are you willing to take that chance? Someone wiser than be may be able to give more specifics on room offerings and %s. Good luck.

There is a waitlist option available for DVC members using points, but not sure how the cash system would work. I'm not sure about what members/ rental agents would do about waitlisting for a non-member.

TXPyroMom said:

From what I understand, cash DVC rooms at BLT are all lake view (though some lake view rooms do have a partial MK view). If rooms are left at 60 days, DVC can sell extra rooms to CRO for cash. However for Dec it is unlikely that anything will be leftover.

If you want that 2 BR you'd need to rent a reservation from an owner. But I just checked availability for your dates and there are no 2 BR MK or LV for the entire stay. You can wait list with a DVC reservation but there is no guarantee that it would come through.

Fingers crossed - tomorrow is the 11 month mark! Work your magic Davids Vacation Club.

Were you trying to reserve the room thru a point rental or cash? So, I am anything but an expert, but my understanding of the DVC resorts is that a certain % of the rooms at each resort are set aside for cash reservations. So, just like any other resort at WDW, one should be able to book a room for a certain time period if there is availability. Or, one could try to rent DVC points for a stay at BLT. Dec 7-14 is a real popular time with DVCers as it is a lower point period and lower crowd levels at WDW. Thus, if your TA says that is booked, there may not be any currently open thru either the cash or point rental system. There may still be a chance one comes available, but are you willing to take that chance? Someone wiser than be may be able to give more specifics on room offerings and %s. Good luck.

There is a waitlist option available for DVC members using points, but not sure how the cash system would work. I'm not sure about what members/ rental agents would do about waitlisting for a non-member.

We would be a cash reservation. We are traveling with my parents and while it would be cheaper to rent points, it would make my mother a nervous wreck that we would get to Disney and not have a room. Her sanity is worth a lot of money in my fathers eyes :rotfl2: Thanks for your reply... and we aren't waiting for the room to open up, we already have two rooms booked at CR. So either way, we will have a place to sleep.

From what I understand, cash DVC rooms at BLT are all lake view (though some lake view rooms do have a partial MK view). If rooms are left at 60 days, DVC can sell extra rooms to CRO for cash. However for Dec it is unlikely that anything will be leftover.

If you want that 2 BR you'd need to rent a reservation from an owner. But I just checked availability for your dates and there are no 2 BR MK or LV for the entire stay. You can wait list with a DVC reservation but there is no guarantee that it would come through.

Thanks for your reply! I could be wrong, but 2 bdr MK views showed up for me when I was first doing my search. We just waited 2 days too long to book. I think they are open to cash reservations, at least it looks like they are on the Disney site.

I figure that there is probably a decent DVC waitlist for that week, so I think I will just start getting excited about another great stay at CR:goodvibes

No members in the queue with 70 points for January 2014 yet. Poop. Now the waiting commences....

No members in the queue with 70 points for January 2014 yet. Poop. Now the waiting commences....

I need 57 and my window opens tomorrow... I'm right on your heels!! :rotfl: They took about 2 days to get points for AKL request, I got confirmation of that today. Hopefully points come in for us soon!

I got a two bedroom direct MK view room via cash ressie at the 11 month mark. If I go to look it up now for the first week of Dec, there is only a lake view available but, that is good at this point. There hasn't been a two bedroom showing up until today for the last two or three weeks.

I have to wonder about David's. You only needed 70 pts and he couldn't get that for you? We needed 230 pts, had our app and deposit into him about 12 months prior and he wasn't able to secure those either. I wonder if people just aren't wanting to do away with their points?

I understand our situation but, only 70 pts-wow.

FastPass+ is being tested at Be Our Guest Restaurant in the Magic Kingdom now through February 28. During this test phase, randomly selected guests at Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge and Contemporary resorts will receive a FastPass+ card for a specified arrival window for lunch at Be Our Guest Restaurant. Guests who arrive at the restaurant during their FastPass+ time will be able to take advantage of an expedited order and payment process. This opportunity is available by invitation only and participants must have valid theme park admission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter