(CLOSED) Disney's BOARDWALK INN and VILLAS INFORMATION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
PamelaKay said:
We will be driving down in October. Can anyone tell me how the self parking is at the BWI? It is great at the WL, but was a challenge at the Poly.

I've only used self parking over night for our rental we use to get to the port, but for those few times never find it a problem. Plenty if spots in the lot right over the bridge.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards

I know my counter isn't correct.
We'll be there (at BWI) from 10/28-11/5 in the Garden Suite...yay!!

Hi Sandi
We want to hit the waterparks for the first time this trip. Thanks for the feedback - I'll just plan on renting a locker! Which of the two waterparks do you prefer? Which one has the easiest transportation back and forth with BWI? Does BB share a bus route with AK? and TL with DTD? do I remember that right?

We prefer Typhoon Lagoon. My DD is 18 and can't get enough of the wave pool. We always arrive before rope drop, get our locker, and then go around the back of the dressing rooms to the "secret" entrance to the Crush 'N Gusher section of the park. We are always at the rope for the opening. Then we briskly walk to Crush N Gusher and ride that at least 4 times. Then we go over to the storm slide and do those (lots of stairs to walk, so you'll get your exercise) and finish off slides with a Humunga Kowabunga slide. Then we go over to the Shark reef (not all that interesting if you've snorkled anywhere else, but hey, it's there). Then we get in the wave pool and go out almost to the rope and ride lots of waves. I then go in and sit at the edge while DD rides many more waves. We end with a trip around the lazy river. Seriously, you can do all of that in 90 minutes or so. We bring towels from the resort (the towels by the pool are smaller and fit in the locker much better than the bath towels). Otherwise, they are $2 to rent.

Blizzard Beach is fun, too. Mostly we like the family raft ride (way better than TL's) and the toboggan slides. Of our 5 visits to the water parks last week, 4 were to TL and one was to BB. I'm not a Summit Plummet person, but Slush Gusher is fun.

We never had trouble with busses getting to the water parks, it was the returns that were challenging. I'm not sure why that was. But, as Tara said, you have the routes correct.

If you go to the water parks, either be there for rope drop or go in the late afternoon. Last year, we went to TL in the late afternoon during a rain. There was no lightning, so all the attractions were open. But, all these people were pouring out of the park due to the rain. It was crazy -- we walked on everything. Unfortunately, last week whenever it rained it the afternoon, there was lightning nearby.

We prefer Typhoon Lagoon. My DD is 18 and can't get enough of the wave pool. We always arrive before rope drop, get our locker, and then go around the back of the dressing rooms to the "secret" entrance to the Crush 'N Gusher section of the park. We are always at the rope for the opening. Then we briskly walk to Crush N Gusher and ride that at least 4 times. Then we go over to the storm slide and do those (lots of stairs to walk, so you'll get your exercise) and finish off slides with a Humunga Kowabunga slide. Then we go over to the Shark reef (not all that interesting if you've snorkled anywhere else, but hey, it's there). Then we get in the wave pool and go out almost to the rope and ride lots of waves. I then go in and sit at the edge while DD rides many more waves. We end with a trip around the lazy river. Seriously, you can do all of that in 90 minutes or so. We bring towels from the resort (the towels by the pool are smaller and fit in the locker much better than the bath towels). Otherwise, they are $2 to rent.

Blizzard Beach is fun, too. Mostly we like the family raft ride (way better than TL's) and the toboggan slides. Of our 5 visits to the water parks last week, 4 were to TL and one was to BB. I'm not a Summit Plummet person, but Slush Gusher is fun.

We never had trouble with busses getting to the water parks, it was the returns that were challenging. I'm not sure why that was. But, as Tara said, you have the routes correct.

If you go to the water parks, either be there for rope drop or go in the late afternoon. Last year, we went to TL in the late afternoon during a rain. There was no lightning, so all the attractions were open. But, all these people were pouring out of the park due to the rain. It was crazy -- we walked on everything. Unfortunately, last week whenever it rained it the afternoon, there was lightning nearby.

Do you think it is that way in October too? We were going to sleep in on our water park day with an 8:40 Cape May ADR. The water park doesn't open until 10. I thought we might be there after RD but sounds like we should wait until after lunch? Maybe go to AK, ride Dino and then head over?

Do you think it is that way in October too? We were going to sleep in on our water park day with an 8:40 Cape May ADR. The water park doesn't open until 10. I thought we might be there after RD but sounds like we should wait until after lunch? Maybe go to AK, ride Dino and then head over?

I've never been to the waterparks in October. Crowd levels will be significantly lower than during August, I'm sure. I wouldn't do well having a big breakfast and then going to a waterpark, so maybe your plan to go in the afternoon would be good. To get the best waterpark experience, though, I really think being there for opening is the way to go. BTW, the Cape May breakfast is great. We had wonderful character interaction and the food was really good.

Thanks KOOK :)
You're welcome.

We will be driving down in October. Can anyone tell me how the self parking is at the BWI? It is great at the WL, but was a challenge at the Poly.
:wave:

I love the WL parking lot (and CR/BLT), but BWI is pretty good, too. There is a bit of an uphill trek to the building, but the distance isn't great and there was plenty of parking when we were last there.

Just back...ahhhh so homesick for BWI!! I hate this 1st day home.....so much to catch up on to get back to reality.

DS13 was super surprised, he thought we were going to Perkins for his birthday breakfast after we dropped DH at the airport for work.

Room was great, 3255 Deluxe CL. I had requested "above Seashore Sweets" to be closer to the elevators. BWI really needs to get another set of elevators or stairs at the far end of the resort! We were right by the stairs to the lounge though, so that was a plus. The food in the lounge was very good, we all agreed better than BC CL and comparable to WL CL, with BW CL having the slight edge. DS16 used the gym every day, and we used the quiet pools (both Inn & Villas side) more than the main one. BW was GORGEOUS as usual. Still right up there as one of my faves!

Parks were very full compared to what we're used to. That combined with the heat & humidity made us all agree never again in August! We did all the evening EMH & there were long waits right up til closing. We're used to evening EMH having walk-ons near the end.

This was the 1st trip that we really were unlucky with the buses. "Approximately every 20 minutes" equated to "every 20-40 minutes!" It wasn't just at BW, it was everywhere.

We did BB one day, and I will never do a water park again. We got there at 9:30am & had to search 20 min. to find 2 chairs together, nowhere near the attractions. It was probably jam packed because of the heat. 45-60 min. waits for everything, in the full sun, just did me in. 20 min. wait for a tube for the lazy river which was a total chaotic traffic jam - wasn't even moving it was so over-full. Someone took one of our 2 chairs (that we were sharing between 4 ppl) - even with our things on it. Also I didn't know they do not provide free towels there - this was news to me. Be sure to take your own or take cash to "rent" them.

We moved to CSR Business Class for our last 2 nights & were so homesick for BWI. I love CSR but next time will not do that after BWI! There was no BB offer in either room.

Off to the mounds of laundry, mail, phone messages, emails, etc.......
Great TR, thanks! We only overlapped one day and I'm sorry we couldn't make it over there from AK and WL where we were that day. I love that you told DS you were going to Perkins:rotfl:. He'll never believe that line again.

I can only do a water park when there's AM EMH. The first couple of hours is pretty easy and you can knock out the important stuff and leave the wave pools and lazy rivers for later. We leave by lunch and I drive so we are water park delicate flowers. In fact, we haven't done one again in almost 3 years, so maybe our old method doesn't even work anymore and it's crowded all the time now:confused3

I actually had CSR BC booked for Christmas, but the booking only lasted a day until I changed to WL:rolleyes1

Coming home is not fun, but planning another trip is! What do you have lined up?

Hi TaraPA,
I'm sorry we never saw you when our trips overlapped. I haven't done a decent trip review like you, but I wanted to chime in. We also were not terribly pleased with the bus service. For the most part, it wasn't too bad, but it would be 20 minute waits. On our last morning, we went to TL and for the ride back, we waited 45 minutes. Very frustrating when you're trying to cram in a lot of fun your last day.

With respect to the water parks, we always do them multiple days when we go in the summer. You have to be there for opening to be able to do the slides, etc. On our 8 day visit, we went to one of the water parks 5 of those days and had a great time. We just get a locker and shove our stuff in, then we're off to do the attractions. I never get a beach chair -- for us, there is too much to do to sit around. Of course, if we get there for opening, we're usually done and on our way by noon or even before. If we go in the late part of the afternoon, people have left or are leaving. Anyway, I know you didn't have fun, but I didn't want others to be too discouraged about the water parks.

BWI was FABULOUS. We were on the 5th floor with a garden view. Just lovely. Our housekeeper was great. I had to ask that the clothesline over the tub be fixed a few times, but that was maintenance's fault, not housekeeping. They had installed the hook end upside down, so the line couldn't catch. Swimming every day -- we needed that line!

We also liked the improved Bakery a lot. The Salmon Sandwich was excellent as were the sweets. I wasn't a big fan of the lobster roll, but we gave it a try.
Five days of water parks?! I am impressed! Sorry our paths didn't cross either, but I did meet Janet who showed me her photo of your meet-up:thumbsup2

I know my counter isn't correct.
We'll be there (at BWI) from 10/28-11/5 in the Garden Suite...yay!!
I've added you to the BB:)

I actually had CSR BC booked for Christmas, but the booking only lasted a day until I changed to WL:rolleyes1

Coming home is not fun, but planning another trip is! What do you have lined up?

LOL you know me too well, I've been looking at room rates & airfare all day for a girls trip 12/13-17! What are your Dec. dates? I'm just waiting for the AP discount to be released & then I'll pounce on something. It's sad not having a ticker at the moment!!

Tara, thanks so much for the great report! The part regarding BWI all looks great, except for the "no strawberries." I usually just have coffee for breakfast, but I make an exception at BWI CL for hard boiled eggs and strawberries. Hope they bring them back! And I agree regarding the parks in the summer - we may return in the summer, but we bail from the parks after lunch and the only evening park we'll return to in the summer months is Epcot. Happy to hear that BWI is wonderful as usual! :)

]
I can only do a water park when there's AM EMH. The first couple of hours is pretty easy and you can knock out the important stuff and leave the wave pools and lazy rivers for later. We leave by lunch and I drive so we are water park delicate flowers.

Welcome back, KOOK! I posted our dates while you were at WDW, but would love to join the list! We're back at BWI CL February 20-23 for the Princess Half Marathon.

As for your quote above, I agree! We don't usually do water parks, but thought TL would be fun to try during our pre-cruise stay a couple years ago. At least in August, I think AM EHM is the key! We hopped on a bus from BWI to TL a little after 7am and were ready for an 8am EMH. There was a little delay in the opening, leading the spirited crowd around us (we were near the front of the line, so dedicated park-goers!) to joke that it was "extra magic 45 minutes!" Even with the delay, it was great - rented a locker with no wait, got to all the big slides before the crowds arrived, grabbed a quick early lunch and then had a great time in the wave pool. I think we were headed back to BWI by 1pm or so - and then enjoyed the rest of the afternoon at the Luna Park pool.

LOL you know me too well, I've been looking at room rates & airfare all day for a girls trip 12/13-17! What are your Dec. dates? I'm just waiting for the AP discount to be released & then I'll pounce on something. It's sad not having a ticker at the moment!!
12/23 - 12/31 WL. I wish we could go in the off season, but DD's school schedule dictates otherwise - at least for three more years. You need a ticker - our signatures are naked without one! Whenever I book, the first thing DH asks is if I've posted my new ticker.

Tara, thanks so much for the great report! The part regarding BWI all looks great, except for the "no strawberries." I usually just have coffee for breakfast, but I make an exception at BWI CL for hard boiled eggs and strawberries. Hope they bring them back! And I agree regarding the parks in the summer - we may return in the summer, but we bail from the parks after lunch and the only evening park we'll return to in the summer months is Epcot. Happy to hear that BWI is wonderful as usual! :)

Welcome back, KOOK! I posted our dates while you were at WDW, but would love to join the list! We're back at BWI CL February 20-23 for the Princess Half Marathon.

As for your quote above, I agree! We don't usually do water parks, but thought TL would be fun to try during our pre-cruise stay a couple years ago. At least in August, I think AM EHM is the key! We hopped on a bus from BWI to TL a little after 7am and were ready for an 8am EMH. There was a little delay in the opening, leading the spirited crowd around us (we were near the front of the line, so dedicated park-goers!) to joke that it was "extra magic 45 minutes!" Even with the delay, it was great - rented a locker with no wait, got to all the big slides before the crowds arrived, grabbed a quick early lunch and then had a great time in the wave pool. I think we were headed back to BWI by 1pm or so - and then enjoyed the rest of the afternoon at the Luna Park pool.
Thank you! I'm sorry I missed your dates the first time around. How was DLR? We just got back and actually had no crowd issues at MK in the late evening. They had so many parades that while Main Street was crowded and often SM/BTMR, everything else was very doable. DD and I loved that MK was open till 11 or 12 many nights. I hope your berries will be back in time for your Half.

I think they need to do a better job making sure people parking in the lot belong there. We were there for Food & Wine in Oct 2 years ago. We came back one night around 7:30 couldn't find a spot in the main lot, we had to park across the street. A few night later we came back at 9:30. There was a mass exodus from the main lot. We were able to get a spot in the first row of the main lot.
I'm sure these weren't resort guest going out for the night.

Thank you! I'm sorry I missed your dates the first time around. How was DLR? We just got back and actually had no crowd issues at MK in the late evening. They had so many parades that while Main Street was crowded and often SM/BTMR, everything else was very doable. DD and I loved that MK was open till 11 or 12 many nights. I hope your berries will be back in time for your Half.

Hi again! :) DLR is coming up! We're leaving for Newport Beach in two days and we're spending the rest of the month there, through Labor Day weekend. While there, we'll stay at GCH for two nights (next weekend) and then drive in to Anaheim for the Expo on the 30th and the DL 10K on the 31st.

Thanks for adding our dates - we absolutely love BWI CL and are so excited to return!

This is just my opionion for whatever it's worth.

We have stayed at a number of resorts at WDW and as a family of five, it became more cost effective for us to go deluxe with discounts.

Our favorite resort had been the CR Tower Lake View until we stayed at the BWI Then we stayed at the Bay Lake Tower 1 BR- wowie... as far as the room was concerned. Yeah the room and food court were amazing (but it's a loooong walk to the food court).

Know what, I really missed the location and of the ambiance at BWI. For our upcoming trip, we had 2 reservations booked; one for BLT 1 bedroom and one for BWI standard room.

Getting free dining with a BWI standard room made us decide we would go there.

We really don't spend a lot of time in the room (giving up the 2 BATHROOMS IS HUGE) , but based on the location and free dining we are going back to a standard room at BWI.

Point being, we love the location, and the feel of the BWI...I'm excited to be coming home.

Boy, I love all these threads and info! Thank you for the room updates with location. I was hoping somebody would know approx where the room was. If we do get the room above seashore sweets, how do you get down to the boardwalk level? Do u have to go back to the lobby? Just curious. Foods sound great too but I will need list of ingredients as I have a tree nut allergy that my daughter has I need to make them aware of. Do they have sodas too? I pre ordered a stroller and they are bringing up 2 cases of water. Gee, with 6 of us, I might change to 3 if we can't take any back to our room.

We just returned from Deluxe CL room 3255 - right aside of 3257 & yes it is DIRECTLY ABOVE Seashore Sweets, with a large balcony. The Deluxe rooms on the 3rd floor have the large balcony, the ones on the 4th floor do not. There is a set of stairs RIGHT there in the hallway as well that takes you directly to the Innkeepers Club, so nice!

I love all this info!! You said the parks were packed??? Ugggg. I thought it would be slowing down. We are going 8/25. I figured kids would be back to school by then. Maybe they will be. Did u go to Hollywood studios at all? Wondering if its worth it.

Boy, I love all these threads and info! Thank you for the room updates with location. I was hoping somebody would know approx where the room was. If we do get the room above seashore sweets, how do you get down to the boardwalk level? Do u have to go back to the lobby? Just curious. Foods sound great too but I will need list of ingredients as I have a tree nut allergy that my daughter has I need to make them aware of. Do they have sodas too? I pre ordered a stroller and they are bringing up 2 cases of water. Gee, with 6 of us, I might change to 3 if we can't take any back to our room.

I love all this info!! You said the parks were packed??? Ugggg. I thought it would be slowing down. We are going 8/25. I figured kids would be back to school by then. Maybe they will be. Did u go to Hollywood studios at all? Wondering if its worth it.

Unfortunately the only way down to the Boardwalk (or to bus stops or pools) is back to the one bank of elevators near the lobby. That is the one downside to BWI (the only one other than price lol!) There is a set of stairs that you can take from the 3rd floor to the 4th to get to the Innkeepers Club if you're on the 3rd floor.

They do have soda & V8 juice in the lounge that you can take back to your room. You can take water but in a Styrofoam to-go cup, no bottles. We walked over to Hess (across the street from BWI) and bought a case of 24 bottles of Dasani for $5.99. It was a very easy walk. I also took those thin coolers that wrap around a water bottle since there's no freezer section in the room fridges. They worked very well & kept the water cold for about 3-4 hours. We found that one case lasted us the whole week, we really only used it to take to the parks.

I think a lot of kids are back in school by then, we start the 26th around here in PA. We did DHS twice, we actually really enjoy that park. We did all the parks 2-3 times, sometimes just 2-3 hours since it was so hot & crowded.

Enjoy your trip!

Unfortunately the only way down to the Boardwalk (or to bus stops or pools) is back to the one bank of elevators near the lobby. That is the one downside to BWI (the only one other than price lol!) There is a set of stairs that you can take from the 3rd floor to the 4th to get to the Innkeepers Club if you're on the 3rd floor.

They do have soda & V8 juice in the lounge that you can take back to your room. You can take water but in a Styrofoam to-go cup, no bottles. We walked over to Hess (across the street from BWI) and bought a case of 24 bottles of Dasani for $5.99. It was a very easy walk. I also took those thin coolers that wrap around a water bottle since there's no freezer section in the room fridges. They worked very well & kept the water cold for about 3-4 hours. We found that one case lasted us the whole week, we really only used it to take to the parks.

I think a lot of kids are back in school by then, we start the 26th around here in PA. We did DHS twice, we actually really enjoy that park. We did all the parks 2-3 times, sometimes just 2-3 hours since it was so hot & crowded.

Enjoy your trip!

TaraPA
Thank you so much! Gee I wish I knew about gas station across street before I already ordered 2 cases from the stroller guy at $9.99 piece. Oh well, if I need more, we will go there. How many in your group? Sounds like there's good enough space for 2 adults, 4 kids (4, 6, 8, 10)

:wave:

I can only do a water park when there's AM EMH. The first couple of hours is pretty easy and you can knock out the important stuff and leave the wave pools and lazy rivers for later. We leave by lunch and I drive so we are water park delicate flowers. In fact, we haven't done one again in almost 3 years, so maybe our old method doesn't even work anymore and it's crowded all the time now:confused3

Five days of water parks?! I am impressed! Sorry our paths didn't cross either, but I did meet Janet who showed me her photo of your meet-up:thumbsup2

They didn't have any EMH at the waterparks this time. I used to love that extra hour in the morning.

My DD was trying to squeeze in a month of vacation in a week I think. And, she succeeded! It was fun to have breakfast with Janet and her daughter. They are very special people and so fun. There was a lot of laughter at our table.

TaraPA
Thank you so much! Gee I wish I knew about gas station across street before I already ordered 2 cases from the stroller guy at $9.99 piece. Oh well, if I need more, we will go there. How many in your group? Sounds like there's good enough space for 2 adults, 4 kids (4, 6, 8, 10)

Just tell yourself that you're not paying the $16.99 for the case of water in the gift shop!

The Deluxe rooms are 2 rooms put together so you'll be fine with 6. We did re-arrange the chair, table & huge potted plant to cerate more of a separation between the sleeping area & living room area. We were only 4 - 2 adults & 2 teens and had more than enough room. We would have spent more time on the balcony but from about 11am-6pm it was just too hot to be out there more than a few minutes.

Just tell yourself that you're not paying the $16.99 for the case of water in the gift shop!

:faint:

Holy macaroni! I'll be content with the GG prices in that case! We're staying in a villa so I have a full grocery order. Sometimes we just have Staples deliver the water though and I was always curious but never looked to see how much those cases in the gift shops were!

I'm sure the information is here somewhere but I have not been able to find it. Does a standard room at the BWI include a mini-fridge? If not, can one be requested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter