(CLOSED) Disney's BOARDWALK INN and VILLAS Information Thread ~2012~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you WDWKOOK! :flower3:

That is good to know, I thought it had to be 24/7 but wasn't certain. Yes, we will be driving - the parking lot is a bit of a scary prospect in its own right, maybe we'll use the valet parking in that case :)

I really love your idea of just eating somewhere on the Boardwalk instead! Thing is, my husband adores HoB (the jambalaya is is favorite) and we'd be breaking a 3 year tradition of going straight to that restaurant on our first night. He's a tradition kind of a guy and I think such a suggestion might cause him to short circuit :lmao: Still, maybe I'll try to convince him :cool2:

I thought of one other question, sorry if this has been asked already but - Does anyone have an opinion of the coffee you can get with the refillable mugs at BW? My older brother is a coffee snob and drinks it almost every morning. In terms of economy, getting the refillable mug for coffee just seems to be the best choice, rather than paying for a cup each morning.

The coffee is really Nescafe. So if he is a coffee snob, he'll want to brew his own in the villa. They still have the 10-12 Mr Coffee style coffee pots. You'll need filters as well as the coffee.

Thank you WDWKOOK! :flower3:

That is good to know, I thought it had to be 24/7 but wasn't certain. Yes, we will be driving - the parking lot is a bit of a scary prospect in its own right, maybe we'll use the valet parking in that case :)

I really love your idea of just eating somewhere on the Boardwalk instead! Thing is, my husband adores HoB (the jambalaya is is favorite) and we'd be breaking a 3 year tradition of going straight to that restaurant on our first night. He's a tradition kind of a guy and I think such a suggestion might cause him to short circuit :lmao: Still, maybe I'll try to convince him :cool2:

I thought of one other question, sorry if this has been asked already but - Does anyone have an opinion of the coffee you can get with the refillable mugs at BW? My older brother is a coffee snob and drinks it almost every morning. In terms of economy, getting the refillable mug for coffee just seems to be the best choice, rather than paying for a cup each morning.
You're welcome and I can appreciate your DH not wanting to break tradition, but it might be more pragmatic, especially if your flight is somehow delayed. BTW, your arrival schedule wears me out!

The first page has many BW dinner choices (Epcot is an option, too) and menu links so maybe something would appeal to DH and you could do HoB as a new last night tradition? I've never had coffee at BWI other than CL, so I'm sorry I can't answer your coffee query.

Deb & Bill - Ok, thanks! I'm ignorant enough about coffee that I can't say I've tried that but I gather it's nothing special. I will let him know that he may want to think of other options for coffee. He could brew his own as you suggest - or I guess just get stuck with a 100$ coffee bill over 10 days for him and his wife! :eek:

WDWKOOK - You know I think you've convinced me to try something else for our first night! It would be nifty to actually get to explore the resort a bit and freshen up after the 5 hour flight from Seattle ;) And if looking at our first day wears you out, I definitely shouldn't share the rest of our itinerary! This is the mistake we just keep on making though - cramming too much into our vacation :laughing:

When we were at the BWI about 2 weeks ago I noticed something different at some of the restaurants. The coffee was not Nescafé! I asked the waitress at askershus why the coffee was so much better, drinkable even. She said they were using some whole beans from Jeffrey's or joffreys. Anyway the coffee was good and my mother said the bell vue lounge also had good coffee. I don't know about the places outside on the boardwalk, but for the first time ever I enjoyed my morning coffee.

And I agree ESPN is great. We always go here on our first day and it's so nice to escape the blazing heat. It's like a cave that sells food. Awesome. I've never been bugged by the noise but then we usually go at off times in early or late afternoon. I really like the hamburgers and that turkey thing with cranberry and Brie.

Hello, this is my first post! With all the knowledgeable folks on this board, I'm guessing someone knows the answer to my question! ;)

First just a bit about our vacation: we're brand new DVC owners to be staying for the first time on points Sept 12 - 21 at Boardwalk in a 2 Bedroom Preferred. It was a lot of points but I'm sure it will be worth it! Myself and my husband, and my brother and his wife, my two younger siblings, and possibly my sister-in-law will be going with us. This will be our first time at the Boardwalk, we've typically stayed at OKW and loved it! But this time, since I figured it's just a bunch of late teens and 20-somethings that Boardwalk would be a wonderful choice :thumbsup2

Anyway, I'm wondering whether late check-in on our first day will be a problem? We are arriving in Orlando at 5:15PM and then have dinner scheduled at the House of Blues at 7PM, followed by La Nouba at 9:00PM. Long day, I know :eek: ! Still, that all means we won't be back to check-in until 11:00PM! Does anyone know how that would work out? Or should we consider changing our plans?

Really appreciate anyone's input! Thanks, Jessica

There's a big advantage to staying at the Boardwalk and late check-in if your don't have a car. We've arrived late to both OKW and Saratoga Springs and had to wait for bell services to drive us to our room. When it's really late, like after midnite, that can be a bit of a pain. At Boardwalk, you don't have that problem, since you can go right to your room.

Just got my Mickey mail today! Got my DME vouchers and luggage tags, I CANNOT WAIT! Boardwalk here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!

roydavid7771 said:
Just got my Mickey mail today! Got my DME vouchers and luggage tags, I CANNOT WAIT! Boardwalk here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay! Anxiously awaiting ours :)

We're getting close as well ....checking in at BWV 8/17. Everyone is getting excited!

Mary just posted this to the MouseSavers website:

I think a big fall offer for Walt Disney World resorts is coming next week! Watch here and the MouseSavers Facebook page for information as soon as it's official.

WDWKOOK said:
Mary just posted this to the MouseSavers website:

I think a big fall offer for Walt Disney World resorts is coming next week! Watch here and the MouseSavers Facebook page for information as soon as it's official.

That would be the FD promotion. More Room Only discounts should come after that.

I am considering switching to CL but I do have a Question about the CL room locations. I did look at the reviews on page one and it seems the rooms are on the 3rd and 4th floors (the lounge being located on the 4th). I also know that some are outside of the locked lounge door but my concern is the number of CL rooms with a BW View as opposed to the courtyard view. DH says he would rather keep our WV room than be in one with the courtyard view. It is sorta funny since before we stayed at BWI in March he wanted no part of being near the "action" on the boardwalk but found he loved it.

What's my chances if I request BW View I will end up in a room with a courtyard view?

Are there any CL rooms with a King bed?

TIA

12 days till we check in ... BCV then BWV !!!!

:beach::cool1::beach::cool1:

First visit to these resorts ... So EXCITED !!!!!

I am considering switching to CL but I do have a Question about the CL room locations. I did look at the reviews on page one and it seems the rooms are on the 3rd and 4th floors (the lounge being located on the 4th). I also know that some are outside of the locked lounge door but my concern is the number of CL rooms with a BW View as opposed to the courtyard view. DH says he would rather keep our WV room than be in one with the courtyard view. It is sorta funny since before we stayed at BWI in March he wanted no part of being near the "action" on the boardwalk but found he loved it.

What's my chances if I request BW View I will end up in a room with a courtyard view?

Are there any CL rooms with a King bed?

TIA

We've stayed BWI CL three times; once on the 3rd floor and twice on the 4th.
We had BW views every time and a king sized bed 2 times.

We found the third floor room a little inconvenient (we are an older couple) but really enjoy the BW view and don't find the noise to be a consideration at all. On the 4th floor, we stayed at a room right outside the locked area and once in a room opposite the lounge--my favorite!!!!:goodvibes

kathie859 said:
We've stayed BWI CL three times; once on the 3rd floor and twice on the 4th.
We had BW views every time and a king sized bed 2 times.

We found the third floor room a little inconvenient (we are an older couple) but really enjoy the BW view and don't find the noise to be a consideration at all. On the 4th floor, we stayed at a room right outside the locked area and once in a room opposite the lounge--my favorite!!!!:goodvibes

Oh that is encouraging to hear, thank you. Still trying to decide what we want to do.

Thanks for all the helpful replies on here. This is a wonderful forum!

I have a bit of a dilemma in terms of sleeping arrangements. We are staying for 9 nights in a 2 bedroom in September and initially it was just going to be 2 couples (1 for each bedroom) and my 2 younger sibs on air mattresses in the living area for a total of 6. (Sibs prefer their air mattresses for whatever reason). Now, there are 2 sisters-in-law who are signing up to come along. We can do that since the room sleeps 8, but I know the way this is counted according to Disney is to cram a family of 4+ into each bedroom.

Instead, we will need to cram the 2 sibs and the 2 sisters into the living area. Now, they all know it will be like a giant sleepover and everyone is cool with that. My question is, do you think there is any difficulty in putting 1 on a sofa and 3 on twin air mattresses in that living area? I think there will be plenty of room since we're not pulling out the couch bed in there, but any thoughts would be very much appreciated!

We spent some time last night looking at the room layout and looks like we could just move the little round table by the kitchen aside if we really ran into space trouble near the TV... :scratchin

P.S! Just want to throw out this general piece of advice because it ended up saving us hundreds of $$! Maybe it will help someone else. To save on car rental cost, try renting through Costco! I find that they can save you SO much money. Also, I first made reservations for the rental about 5 months in advance for a minivan through them and was going to pay 600$ (plus tax) for 10 days. Well, we had to change to an 8 seater because of the bigger party now and lo and behold, a Full Size van only 2 months in advance costs $463 with tax!!! And the minivan? Only $310 now!! So yeah, keep price checking on your rental car, because it can make a huge difference and you can always cancel/reschedule later. :beach:

Thanks for all the helpful replies on here. This is a wonderful forum!

I have a bit of a dilemma in terms of sleeping arrangements. We are staying for 9 nights in a 2 bedroom in September and initially it was just going to be 2 couples (1 for each bedroom) and my 2 younger sibs on air mattresses in the living area for a total of 6. (Sibs prefer their air mattresses for whatever reason). Now, there are 2 sisters-in-law who are signing up to come along. We can do that since the room sleeps 8, but I know the way this is counted according to Disney is to cram a family of 4+ into each bedroom.

Instead, we will need to cram the 2 sibs and the 2 sisters into the living area. Now, they all know it will be like a giant sleepover and everyone is cool with that. My question is, do you think there is any difficulty in putting 1 on a sofa and 3 on twin air mattresses in that living area? I think there will be plenty of room since we're not pulling out the couch bed in there, but any thoughts would be very much appreciated!

We spent some time last night looking at the room layout and looks like we could just move the little round table by the kitchen aside if we really ran into space trouble near the TV... :scratchin...

You are not going to put three twin sized air mattresses in the living area. They just aren't going to fit even with the sleeper sofa kept closed. The door to the studio portion is in the living room and you'll block that access. Is there a reason why no on will be sleeping on the sleeper sofa in the studio portion? Seems like a waste.

Bathroom scheduling also sounds like a nightmare. You are going to have six using the master bathroom so the couple in the studio portion get their own room?

Just try to get another studio for the two SILs. This is just too crowded for my vacation. Blood will be shed.

We've done seven in an OKW two bedroom and eight in an OKW two bedroom, but half of the group was small children who slept with their parents. Plus OKW villas are so much bigger.

Deb & Bill - thanks for the feedback!!
Yes, we did an almost identical stay in a 2 bedroom OKW villa before (minus 1 person) and it was extremely roomy! I told everyone we will be like sardines since the rooms are considerably smaller and they are still excited :)

You are right... and supposing we decide not to block off that access area for the studio and things don't fit, we can always put sister-in-law in on the sleeper sofa in the studio. Not ideal, but everyone's cool with that too. So, yes, this is our backup plan and should make things a lot more reasonable for everyone.

You make a great point about the bathroom usage. Just spoke to my husband and the other couple about this, and we agree that the couples will wake 30 min before everyone else to shower, then wake up everyone else in pairs so they can get ready as efficiently as possible and utilize both showers.

Also worthy of note, our schedule is so stuffed to the gills that we'll only be in the room to sleep. For example, we have 3 nights in a row where we'll be out until nearly midnight! Should be very interesting :)

Thanks again!
Jessica

10 days until Disney!!! First CSR then BWV!!!

So we're live from the Beach Club for a short trip, and I have an important burger update for the Boardwalk area. Over our multiple trips, after trying Beaches & Cream, Fountains, Captains Grill, and ESPN finally for lunch yesterday, I think we have a new winner. The ESPN cheddar bacon burger wins by a landslide. Way better than any of the other burgers in the area.

The ice cream at Seashore Sweets was a nice follow up, too. The sundae creations at B&C are better, but for something closer and with much short lines, SSweets does well, very generous scoops.

That is all. :)

Thanks for the tip! Many a DISer on this thread has recommended ESPN and I can't wait because I'll be there during the opening ceremonies of the Olympics so it should be good! But on another very biased note - I can't stand the Fountain's burgers (cardboard I think??) and I found Beaches n Cream to be average. BUT I always make my burgers at home with bacon and cheddar so this one sounds divine!!!

I believe I'm the only DISer that likes the Nescafe coffee. But I drink coffee everyday with milk (or cream). Perhaps because I use the milk, it alters the taste but the Nescafe tastes just fine to me - not the worst, not the best, and I could drink it everyday. It also brings back fond memories of backpacking through Europe and having Nescafe at the cafes in Greece so I'm nostalgic for the brand :goodvibes

When we were at the BWI about 2 weeks ago I noticed something different at some of the restaurants. The coffee was not Nescafé! I asked the waitress at askershus why the coffee was so much better, drinkable even. She said they were using some whole beans from Jeffrey's or joffreys. Anyway the coffee was good and my mother said the bell vue lounge also had good coffee. I don't know about the places outside on the boardwalk, but for the first time ever I enjoyed my morning coffee.

And I agree ESPN is great. We always go here on our first day and it's so nice to escape the blazing heat. It's like a cave that sells food. Awesome. I've never been bugged by the noise but then we usually go at off times in early or late afternoon. I really like the hamburgers and that turkey thing with cranberry and Brie.

Turkey with cranberry and brie??? :bitelip: Say it isn't so! :hyper: YUM!!!! :cool1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter