Closed Border DVC trip?

susanv

Mouseketeer
Have an upcoming end of August trip booked for my son's grade 8 grad. Had not purchased tickets yet, no big deal as our last visit the kids literally spent half the trip searching for lizards at OKW ;). Used all our DVC points for the year and unfortunately it is the last week of our Use Year so cannot cancel and bank the points (borrowed points in before Covid as he had a really rough two years). Any chance Disney is being kind with the borders closed as there is no way to cross the border right now? Tried emailing them about a week ago and still have not heard back from them other than to acknowledge my question and say someone would be getting back to me shortly.

I have the same question. Sent guest services an email quite some time ago, and called several times. I haven't recieved a reply to my email and not one CM was able to provide any Information on what Disney would do if the borders do not open in time for us to take our trip.
IMO, being unable to cross the border due to Covid should be treated similarly to not being able to go because Disney had to close due to Covid. Circumstances beyond our control. I'm sure there are many of us in the same boat. Thanks for posting. Following.

By all accounts DVC has not handled this well. They have flip flopped numerous times on what they are doing to accommodate members. I'm not sure where things stand right now with them. However, if you are willing to go in August you can. You are able to fly to the US. Only the land crossings are closed. Remember though that you will have to self isolate for 14 days when you return to Canada.

The other issue of course is that we can only fly with US airlines with stops for much more expensive prices because the CDN airlines aren't flying there as of now. We have a stay scheduled for the end of August that expire in November, hoping they do something or the points will have to be moved to RCI.

The other issue of course is that we can only fly with US airlines with stops for much more expensive prices because the CDN airlines aren't flying there as of now. We have a stay scheduled for the end of August that expire in November, hoping they do something or the points will have to be moved to RCI.
Looked up itravel when I received the other replies and there was a lot of availability out of Toronto with Direct Flights. Price for economy was $298 CDN per person round trip. Have to talk to my DH. I have a problem with the whole quarantine thing too as I am a bus driver and won't go over well if I skip the first week and a half of school. Check I travel, they had a lot of availability half an hour ago.

Yes there are direct flights out of Toronto for good prices right now for August Onward but there was for June.... and July and now all of those flights were cancelled, so that is the problem. The CDN airlines aren't going to fly there until there is enough volume for them.

WestJet and AirCanada are both flying to MCO in August, of course expect changes if they do not get enough bookings.

There is also the issue of travel insurance. If we knowingly travel to a place with travel restrictions during a pandemic, does that negate our policy?

Literally everything on the gov of Canada websites says no non-essential travel to the US. It looks like this isn't being monitored for air travel but there isn't anything at all saying air travel to the U.S. for recreation is allowed.

The Canadian government cannot prevent you from leaving the country according to the Charter. The only restrictions on entering the USA come from the American government, and they have only restricted travel at the land border with no restrictions on entering via air.

https://ca.usembassy.gov/travel-restrictions-fact-sheet/

This is very interesting. We're booked August 28-September 12 on a DVC Rental. Leaving from Toronto. Reserved our 8 days of parks today.

While we are prepared to rebook if needed, I'm still happy to go at that time. I was unknowingly waiting for border opening news, but if we can fly already!? then I don't see why we wouldn't go at this point. While we could drive I'd rather fly. West Jet has some good round trip rates right now.

There is also the issue of travel insurance. If we knowingly travel to a place with travel restrictions during a pandemic, does that negate our policy?

Every travel insurance provider that I’m aware of has now excluded Covid coverage for all current and future travel to the US.

Unfortunately that’s why I think we’re going to rent our DVC points out until a vaccine is found - no vacation is worth a potential million dollar medical bill.

Link to the govt of cda website on this specific issue;
https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/documents/travel-insurance

Cancelled our reservations today. The CM was very nice. They are returning my borrowed points to next years Use Year. I am to call back if the border is still closed for when we go, CM said they "may" be able to bank the small amount of points that were still from this year as I had a reservation and with the border closed I cannot get there.

While everything seems really unorganized regarding what actions can be taken, this is all such an unexpected situation that no-one ever planned for.

Anyone from Canada still planning to Disney World in 2020? If so where are you staying? If not what month did you book in 2021?

DVC Member here - We have trips planned in both November and January; I'm likely going to cancel the November trip this week and the January trip in October if the border stays closed in order to bank the points.

If that happens I'll likely make a booking for 'March Break' and see what happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter