Clif Shot Blok ?

disneyfreak1

<font color="blue">Willing to tag for tickets</fon
I am training for the Princess Half. Do I need to try the Electrolyte Blok or the Energy one?

I would only venture a guess since I do not use the shot bloks.

I think the electrolyte replacements would be the thing I would start with. As you progress with miles-distance perhaps the energy would assist.

I kind of do this with the gels. I use Gu gels and as I progress sometimes I will pull out a Gu Roctane (SP?) that seems to give me the extra oomph. Perhaps you can experiment during training, or, even better, perhaps better comments from someone else will assist.

You really need to experiment to see what works best for you. What works for one person may or may not be best for someone else. During your long runs, try one of them one week and the other the next week and see if there's any difference in the way you feel during your run.

That said, I'd recommend the energy ones. Assuming you're taking in Powerade, Gatorade, or some other sports drink along the way, you'll be replenishing your electrolytes just fine.

Definitely try what works for you...don't depend on anything that may be offered at Disney. Case in Point is that there are many flavors of the Shot and odds will be that you will be offered the flavor that you like least. I always carry my own. Not all flavors are equal and most end up sounding better than they taste. :confused3

I may be a little confused, but I am not aware of two versions of
Cliff Shot Blocks. There may be a labeling difference but both deliver about 100 Kcal per serving and come in the same flavors.

Sport nutrition is a personal thing that one cannot simply do like your best friend. The better way to take on supplemental energy is following these general guidelines.

1) you do not need a supplement for any run lasting less than 90 minutes.
2) If your run will take longer, try taking on your first supplement around the 45 minute mark. This point varies by energy output, fuel make up of that output, and you GI ability to process. Experiment with the 30-60 minute window until you find what works for you.
3) Take on your next energy supplement about the same amount of time it took you to take the first. (i.e. if you took your first at 45 minutes, take the next 45 minutes later). Again, this can vary , also.
4) You want water with your supplement. You may need a sip (optional) then the supplement then a cup of water.
5) do not take on a sport drink at the same time as a supplement. The combined solids in the supplement and sport drink can overwhelm the gut, shutting it down.
6) Can't take the full dose at one water stop? Take half at the first stop then the second half at the second. If you are using a gel, simply roll the top over and carry to the next stop.
7) look at the map and practice supplementing (and water) at the same points as the race course.
8) DO NOT stock up on a huge supply. Experiment with several company brands, flavors and types (gel, block bean, rock). What works for me may not work for you. Worse, what works for you this fall may not work next spring..
9) Candy instead? Maybe, but you are cutting yourself short on a mix of electrolytes. Most sport supplements have both simple and complex carbs. Candy is a simple carb, creating a real quick spike then a quicker bust. Candy also does not carry in any electrolyte.

Electrolyte Supplementation....

1) Sport drinks are your primary source of electrolytic replentishment. In this heat, take in a sport drink for runs lasting longer than 90 minutes.
2) train with the drink in your run. For Disney - PowerAde
2a) Unfortunately, PowerAde comes in two formulations - Thanks Coke! The bottles in the store are not the same as the powder used by the race. The big differences are the sugar source (HFCS in the premix), the level of electrolyte and the flavor loading. If you cannot find the powder, I would really use powdered Gatorade. Mix half strength - the race does this also. Do make at least one or two runs with whatever PowAde you can find.
3) The gels and blocks bring in electrolytes, also, do not drink a sport drink at the aide station where you supplement.
4) If you are a heavy sweater, of your running clothes end up with a white rusty residue, consider a buffered electrolytic capsule, also. Endurolyte from Hammer Nutrition is well buffered and easy on most GI tracts.

Hope this helps

Coach Charles always has such great advice! :thumbsup2:flower3:

The whole nutrition thing can be confusing at first. Give yourself time to experiment. Realize that each experiment may not be successful -for example first time I tried chocolate milk after a long run, I thought I was going to hurl - but go figure, I tried it again about a month later with no problems, and continue to use it as my 'recovery' treat. :)

In terms of race day I would definitely agree w/ others to bring your own nutrition.

1) you do not need a supplement for any run lasting less than 90 minutes.

90 minutes? Everything else I have read says 60 minutes, and just from personal experience, that seems to work best for me (obviously everyone is different). For me, and me alone, best seems to be: one GU shot at the instant the run starts, then one every 45 minutes thereafter.

90 minutes? Everything else I have read says 60 minutes, and just from personal experience, that seems to work best for me (obviously everyone is different). For me, and me alone, best seems to be: one GU shot at the instant the run starts, then one every 45 minutes thereafter.

First, I cannot say what works for most is best for all. Seems like one major supplier of gels has changed their recommendations based on a 2007 study. This change in recommendation represents an interesting interpretation of an ACSM study on nutrition during heavy work; or activities nearing or in the anaerobic zone. Clearly, evidence suggests in these studies that bringing on nutrition during periods of heavy work or heavy sprints alternating with moderate work has benefit in events lasting an hour or less. I am not sure that this manufacturer’s is basing use a gel for exercise longer than one hour is a true representation of the facts of the studies as much as it is convenient use of a study to sell product. But then if one closely reads the manufacturer’s wording, they are not really saying that one should supplement every time you pass one hour.

Time and more studies will tell over the next few years especially with regard to aerobic work levels, like we should be at during most of our long runs. I for one read the study (and underlying research) to say that performance is improved in races (events) lasting less than an hour. What is not clear is that most evidence is based on higher level performance – as opposed to the moderate level work we should be doing while training for a long run.

Here's a little back up for why the 90 minute window is a better choice. We are attempting to create adaptations in the body through training that will force the body to prefer fat over sugar. The body has about 90 minutes max of carbs available for use stored in the body. At the same time, we all have 2+ days of fats ready for immediate use under exercise (and not the fats stored at the muffin line). The body can burn almost pure fat but if not trained well, the level of intensity of work must be kept low so that the sugar rates do not escalate to a non-sustainable level. There are lots of variables that go into a training season that create adaptations to create a fat burning machine.... One is to 'deprive' the body of easy doses of sugar on shorter runs. By not taking on a gel in a shorter run (up to 90 minutes) you are creating adaptations in the body that force it to seek fat stores over sugar stores. About 90 minutes of aerobic activity is about as long as one should push out without supplementing the blood glycogens.

Therefore, until there are a few studies that suggest that this is not what we should strive for in endurance training, I think I will stick with recommending the 90 minute window at least for now. I will submit that taking on a gel at mile 4 or a 10k is not out of the question, but then again, we are pushing near anaerobic levels in a 10k. Finally, I always default to the experiment of one premise and will say that if you need a gel for a 75 minute weekday run, then by all means go for it.

Hope this makes sense.

Here's a little back up for why the 90 minute window is a better choice. We are attempting to create adaptations in the body through training that will force the body to prefer fat over sugar. The body has about 90 minutes max of carbs available for use stored in the body. At the same time, we all have 2+ days of fats ready for immediate use under exercise (and not the fats stored at the muffin line). The body can burn almost pure fat but if not trained well, the level of intensity of work must be kept low so that the sugar rates do not escalate to a non-sustainable level. There are lots of variables that go into a training season that create adaptations to create a fat burning machine.... One is to 'deprive' the body of easy doses of sugar on shorter runs. By not taking on a gel in a shorter run (up to 90 minutes) you are creating adaptations in the body that force it to seek fat stores over sugar stores. About 90 minutes of aerobic activity is about as long as one should push out without supplementing the blood glycogens.

This is very interesting information. I had, up to this point, taken nutrition at around the 60-minute mark....but then again I've never run more than 2 hours total. However this is all about to change w/ the training I'm doing - we're at 10 miles for the LSD and steadily increasing now. I'm going to try this approach at one of the long runs and see how it goes. Thanks for sharing this!! :goodvibes

I'm a fan of the Clif Bloks myself.

My hydration/nutrition rules of thumb for hydration and nutrition (YMMV)

Runs less than 40 minutes or tempo runs, no water carried.

Runs over 40 minutes, the Camelbak gets strapped on. I take a small sip every half mile or 5 minutes...basically, whenever my RunKeeper audio cue chimes in.

Runs 5 miles or longer, I'll bust out the Bloks. I pop one Blok about every 20 minutes, give or take.

Race day: G01 Prime 15-20 minutes before the race start. Bloks as above. Race water only up to a 10K, Camelbak for longer (I'm guessing...10K is my max thus far)

Now this is talking about outdoor training in the Texas summer heat....we've been over 100F going on 17 days now. Without electrolytes or proper hydration, bad things happen. To further compound this, experience has shown that I cannot perform well on a full stomach (no meals less than 3 hours before workout/game/race) and that over hydration is preferable to not enough (I'm a relatively heavy sweater). I also prefer to not do sports drinks in my camelbak since I drink a fair amount of fluid...I may experiment with half or quarter strength to see how it goes.

Experimentation is the name of the game. Try different combinations/intervals/products in your own training runs. Everyone's body has unique needs and processing capabilities....you just have to figure out what works best for you.

First, I cannot say what works for most is best for all. Seems like one major supplier of gels has changed their recommendations based on a 2007 study. This change in recommendation represents an interesting interpretation of an ACSM study on nutrition during heavy work; or activities nearing or in the anaerobic zone. Clearly, evidence suggests in these studies that bringing on nutrition during periods of heavy work or heavy sprints alternating with moderate work has benefit in events lasting an hour or less. I am not sure that this manufacturer’s is basing use a gel for exercise longer than one hour is a true representation of the facts of the studies as much as it is convenient use of a study to sell product. But then if one closely reads the manufacturer’s wording, they are not really saying that one should supplement every time you pass one hour.

Time and more studies will tell over the next few years especially with regard to aerobic work levels, like we should be at during most of our long runs. I for one read the study (and underlying research) to say that performance is improved in races (events) lasting less than an hour. What is not clear is that most evidence is based on higher level performance – as opposed to the moderate level work we should be doing while training for a long run.

Therefore, until there are a few studies that suggest that this is not what we should strive for in endurance training, I think I will stick with recommending the 90 minute window at least for now. I will submit that taking on a gel at mile 4 or a 10k is not out of the question, but then again, we are pushing near anaerobic levels in a 10k. Finally, I always default to the experiment of one premise and will say that if you need a gel for a 75 minute weekday run, then by all means go for it.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks, I really appreciate this information, thanks for taking the time to post it. :goodvibes

Gu makes an electrolyte tablet that I really like. I just slip them into my SPIbelt and pop one into my water bottle when I need it. For those of us trying to lose a few, the tablet is only 10 calories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter