Clearwater Beach - Help?

pugtails66

Mouseketeer
:confused3 We are going to Clearwater Beach after spending a week at Disney. My kids have NEVER seen the ocean and I really want to stay somewhere NICE that is ON the beach. I do NOT want to end up in a beachside dump motel that looks like it is full of the criminal element. :worship: Does anyone have any suggestions? I want to make this a memorable trip!(in a good way) :)

Thanks, both of you!!! :) I will definitely check out the sunset movies and I'm heading over to Trip Advisor now. :)

We have been staying in the Treasure Island area hte last couple years. My parents say it is much more congested in Clearwater

Agree with the TripAdvisor recommendation. We have been doing condo rentals vs hotel/motel. Love having hte extra space

Two years ago we stayed at the Hilton. Its right on the beach!
The pool is also on the beach (which my son loved).
When we were there they were updating the rooms. We had a newly remodeled room and it was beautiful; very modern looking.

Definately walk the pier at sunset!
We did the Captain Nemo (sp?) pirate cruise. That was a lot of fun for the kids. Also did a jet boat dolphin tour which was fun.

Enjoy!

If you find something you like on tripadvisor and want a local's opinion, feel free to PM me.

We went for our first time in June to Clearwater. I looked and read everything I could fine. I finally chose the Sheraton that is on Sand Key. It is the last hotel before the bridge that leads to Clearwater. It is on the beach but its like a 5 min walk or so out to the ocean. Most days there was only like 5 or 6 other people out there with us. We LOVED the hotel. They had a great pool area and the best customer service around. We also did the Pirate Nemo cruise as well as spent a day at Clearwater Marine Aquarium which we loved. Be glad to answer any other questions you may have.

I would go down to St Pete Beach and stay at the Tradewinds Resort. It is large, most of their rooms are suites (with kitchens) facing the Gulf, and they have over 1,000 feet of shoreline.

We went for our first time in June to Clearwater. I looked and read everything I could fine. I finally chose the Sheraton that is on Sand Key. It is the last hotel before the bridge that leads to Clearwater. It is on the beach but its like a 5 min walk or so out to the ocean. Most days there was only like 5 or 6 other people out there with us. We LOVED the hotel. They had a great pool area and the best customer service around. We also did the Pirate Nemo cruise as well as spent a day at Clearwater Marine Aquarium which we loved. Be glad to answer any other questions you may have.

We were debating between the Sheraton and Hilton, and eventually chose the Hilton. The long walk to water is what scared me off. Glad to hear it was nice though!

Thanks, everyone, for all of the responses! I'm still researching and planning. I love hearing about first hand experiences, etc. :) Trying to plan things "site unseen" is a bit overwhelming. ;)

We will be attending a conference at the Hilton in Clearwater Beach. Is that the hotel you are referring to? Is it nice? I was also looking at the Marriott Suites, as it seems to be 2 miles away. Any other hotels nearby?

Any recommendations for kids besides the ones mentioned? Is Busch Gardens close by?

We stayed at Sunset Vistas in Treasure Island 1.5 yrs ago. It was maybe 30 seconds walk from door to beach. Uncrowded and we just drove up to the pier at Clearwater for entertainment. Very clean and modern.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn as they had a room that would accomodate all 6 of us and it was great. It was right on the water, but not the beach. We walked a few minutes along the beachwalk and we were on nice soft white sand.

We loved it there and hoping to get back there again for a visit.

We will be attending a conference at the Hilton in Clearwater Beach. Is that the hotel you are referring to? Is it nice? I was also looking at the Marriott Suites, as it seems to be 2 miles away. Any other hotels nearby?

Any recommendations for kids besides the ones mentioned? Is Busch Gardens close by?

We stayed at this one two years ago. It was very nice. At the time they were doing remodeling and we were in the new rooms which were gorgeous. I suppose by now they are all remodeled. The lobby was beautiful, everything is white and very modern.
Pool is right on the beach. The hotel has its own private section of the beach. Your can rent chairs or cabanas with chairs. Its right next to the Pier which is fun to go to at sunset; lots of vendors.

Hilton on the beach - if you head for the beach stay around in front of the Hilon, once you get a bit further down you run into the party party area,

Beach suggestion - if you drive through clearwater along the beach and over the bridge into Sand Key there is a great family area Sand Key park it is at the end of the hill on the right easy to miss. It family friendly beach, picnic table area, bath house and nicer parking lot - also there are some nice hotels near the park on that side off the beach.

Dinning suggestion - Try Gators on the Pass - John's Pass down toward Treasure island, live music, great food, you can see the dolphin in the pass almost nightly.

Busch Garden is in Tampa with traffic I would says at least an hour, in rush hour maybe more.

There are three main resorts (hotels) that I would stay at. Please understand that I am a local and have not stayed at any of these but give you a perspective of the resort from a local.

Hyatt Clearwater Beach - An excellent family resort, located directly in the middle of Clearwater Beach. Has a pool, shops, restaurants, parking garage, and overlooks the beach! Excellent access to all local attractions.

Sandpearl Resort - A very high end resort located at the northern end of Clearwater Beach. Not as much attractions nearby, but within a good walking distance. (There are public buses that can take you down the beach for a small charge). This resort is actually on the beach, a huge plus.

Sheraton Sand Key - A beautiful resort that is located just south of Clearwater Beach. Again, the public buses can take you to the main beach area for attractions. Located in Sand Key, they have a private beach but not as award winning as Clearwater Beach. Very peaceful and not as busy as Clearwater though.

Shephards Beach Resort - Would not recommend this for a family, this is more for young couples and singles that want a party atmosphere. They have alot of live music and night clubs. The breakfast buffet is worth coming too even if you do not stay here.

Hope this helps. There are plenty of attractions at the beach to keep you busy besides the beach itself.

Regards,
Joe

References:
Clearwater-beach-vacation.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter