Cleaning Sippy Cup Valves???

starann

In having children, I have lost my mind, but found
I know efferdent tabs are a good way to clean sippy cup valves, but I don't have any. Does anyone know of 'home remedies' to get them clean? They can get pretty yucky (as a bunch of ours are right now).

Buying more is not an option since the boys will be getting out of sippy cups soon.

THANKS!

I got a pack of the dr. Brown's stem brushes from BRU or Walmart and use them to clean the stems to all my little valves or sippy cup straws (the ones that are flexible and pop up when you flip the switch.

I guess the other standby would be vinegar and baking soda let it soak for a bit. Good luck.

We stopped buying the ones with valves for just that reason.
The character ones that seem bigger topped than the Platex sippy ones. (we have cars and sesame street ones) They work great and no valves to worry about.

As for cleaning them now- how about a little boiling water?

Pipe cleaners, dish soap and hot water. Wear gloves so that you don't scald your fingers.

We take the inserts out and put them in the basket in the dishwasher, ours has a basket "lid" to keep them from flying out. If they get loose in the DW they will melt and smell up the whole house. We bought a basket specifically for bottle nipples as well.

Hello all :) ok, I know this sounds crazy. I am a preschool teacher and I encountered this problem all of the time. I accidentally soaked the lids and valves (disassembled) in hydrogen peroxide once and....IT WORKED! My pediatrician says it is totally safe. Soak them, remove the gunk, then wash as usual. Hope it helps!:)

If you pop them out each cleaning they will stay clean. I also use a bottle basket with a lid and clean them each night.

I have had some cups in my daycare where the parents NEVER did that :sick: and I had to clean them because it was grossing me out. I first soaked them in vinegar, then boiled in water, then tossed them in the dishwasher with the rest of the dishes.

I used to run them through the dishwasher each time the cup was washed. I never had problems with them not coming clean. Like a PP said, I used a basket that closed so they were confined.

Here's another vote for hydrogen peroxide - it seems to "bubble" all the gunk out and then you can just wash as usual - worked great for all three of my kids cups, all different kinds

Pipe cleaners, dish soap and hot water. Wear gloves so that you don't scald your fingers.

Exactly! Also called "chenille rods" we bought a large bag of white ones just for this purpose. Takes no time at all and works beautifully.

We use Q-tips and hot soapy water and to really get in tight areas we use a tooth pick. Works for us. Oh and I agree that if you clean them up really good after each washing they'll stay clean.

T.

Exactly! Also called "chenille rods" we bought a large bag of white ones just for this purpose. Takes no time at all and works beautifully.

I prefer the tinsel pipe cleaners, they seem to "scrub." My kids are way past sippy lids, but I think I cleaned some of the kind you are talking about that were a niece's or nephew's. I have very sensitive teeth and use straws whenever I drink something cold, so I have a few "reuseable" straws. I hand wash everything, no dishwasher.:scared: I put the cups and tops, straws in the sink with some hot water and soap and add a little bleach. Let soak for a little while then wash. For the straws I stick the pipe cleaner in the straw, and twist it around then rinse. For the sippy valves, I bend a pipe cleaner and use it the same way as the straws.

I keep a glass bottle filled with bleach at my sink to add to my dish water. I only add about a tablespoon to a few inches of water. My sink is a single bowl so a double bowl would use less.

I meant to add that DH would poke the pipe cleaner into the sippy cup valve and pull it all the way through. As I recall, it doesn't take long for milk to dry inside those valves, making cleaning a pain.

I don't know a thing about sippy cups, but my dad uses those big cups with straws that you get at the hospital.

The straws have ridges. I just about gagged one day when I realized that the straw was black on the inside. It would be very difficult to scrub it on the inside but I just soak it in a bleach/water solution.

Works like a charm.

I have a 3 rack dishwasher with a top rack for silverware. I clean the separated valves and lids in the dishwasher. I never have a problem with gunk building up.

I use all the same brand (Playtex) of Sippy cups, that way all the lids and valves work with all the cups. No hunting for the right valve and right lid to go with the cup.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter