• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cleaning baby bottles at Disney?

ory

Earning My Ears
When we are at Disney our baby will almost be 1 year old. He will still be drinking formula from a bottle. How did people clean the bottles for their little one? He is old enough that they don't need to be sterilized. Any suggestions are appreciated. :)

I guess it depends where you live but I never sterilize bottles at home. I wasn't planning on doing at Disney either. I will wash them in the d/w when back in the resort (we have a d/w in room) and I'll probably take 2 bottles w/ me to the parks and just rinse out if I should need to use more then 2 bottles when we are out. I have the formula divided in little containers, so I just need to add water.

What I did was put liquid dish detergent in a travel size bottle, and just did them normally in the sink, and let them dry on a towel on the side of the sink.

For the bottles that need to be sterilized, Medela makes these great sterilizer bags for the microwave, they rock!

I think he will be old enough not to have them sterilized, others will disagree. As long as you clean them thoroughly.

I know over here we can buy tablets, that you can put in a container of cold water and then throw the bottle in, this sterilizes them.

I agree with PP who suggests washing with washing up liquid and leaving to dry. If you wanted added protection, boil the kettle and pour this over your teats.

Kirsten

If you are usinf formula and wanted to pack one bottle and wash it on the go-Medela (I think) makes disposable wipes for cleaning breast pump parts that you could use for cleaning the bottle in the parks. Just pack formula and buy or bring water.

I always packed a bottle brush and liquid soap to wash them in the sink.

I say just pack a travel-sized bottle of your home dish detergent and the bottle brush and wash them in the sink in your room. You can also wash them in then sinks at the baby care centers.

We use Playtex bottles with the drop in liners so I just washed the other parts with regular dish soap and water like I do at home.
-Never sterilized bottles, just when they were opened from the package before they were used the first time. After that I just washed them normally.
Also, if the trip is a ways off, you may introduce your little one to a cup, which would avoid the need for bottles at all. Our DS drank formula from a cup for the month right before he turned one. It was great to not have bottles anymore! :goodvibes

we do the drop in as well when out and about. I find it easier to just put in a new bag and wash the nipples as needed where wvwe i am.

We went when DS was 11.5 months old...We used Playtex drop ins all the time so this made Disney easier.

I would clean the nipples in the sink in my hotel room nightly and then first thing in the morning, I would throw them in the Medela Microwave sterilizer BAG at the hotel quick service restaurant. I only sterilized bottles at home for the first fewmonths but I wasnt sure that I was really getting them clean in the hotel room, so I did the microwave thing.

I would bring the bottles with water in them to the park and then just add the formula there. Having the drop in liners, I would try to get rid of them as soon as DS was done (head to the bathroom - fill with water, shake so the nipple got a little clean and then dump) so that they didnt crust over everything!

The baby care centers in the parks were great too - if you did feel the need to sterilize a bottle there, they had stoves/boiling water and i think microwaves too that you could use the sterilizing bags in!

I packed the nipple cleaning portion of my bottle brush and then I took one of those pads that they sell that has dried dish detergent in it, cut it up into smaller pieces adn used that at my sink daily for our refillable mugs, bottles, and the few kid forks/spoons/tupperware containers for snacks that I had brought with me.

I'm going to Disney in December with a 4ish month old and plan to employ a very similar strategy!!

happy traveling!

I took a small bottle filled with dish detergent and a bottle brush/sponge...actually, I do every trip to wash out the refillable mugs! When he graduated to a straw type sippy cup, I took a "straw" cleaning brush from my Dr. Brown bottles too. And I just lay out a washcloth to dry them on the sink (or put them up on the shelf above where you hang your clothes). This has worked well for me!

Drop Ins here as well. I would pack enough nipples to get through the day (And that was a lot of them, considering twins!), in a ziplock bag... and then would simply wash off the actual bottle before putting in a new liner and nipple. I would wash out the nipples when we got back to our hotel at the end of every day, and start the next day off again.

Thanks for all the suggestions! :goodvibes I will be bringing a small bottle of dish soap with me. I will put it in a Ziplock and hope it does not break open in my suitcase :)

I just took a bottle brush and a small bottle of dish soap and washed in the sink. I only sterilize brand new bottles.

Just adding one other thought...I never did sterilize bottles either, but when I was handwashing them (or anything that I handwash) I would always clean the sink first. So maybe bring some sort of Lysol or Mr. Clean type product? I never really trust that others are careful about not using the same cleaning rag for the sink as they use for the tub or toilet.

Maybe I am paranoid?:confused3

There have been numerous times while out eating, I have had the bottle/sippy cup run through the dishwasher at the bar or cleaned them in the bathroom with hot water and soap. Some of this may not apply

You can also hit the baby care centers in the parks and clean bottles there.

SP

I think he will be old enough not to have them sterilized, others will disagree. As long as you clean them thoroughly.

I know over here we can buy tablets, that you can put in a container of cold water and then throw the bottle in, this sterilizes them.

I agree with PP who suggests washing with washing up liquid and leaving to dry. If you wanted added protection, boil the kettle and pour this over your teats.

Kirsten

Hi Kirsten,
where you live, do they really call it washing up liquid? I've heard the Wiggles refer to it as such...in our house we call it dish detergent or dish soap. LOL
What do you call bath soap?

Drop Ins here as well. I would pack enough nipples to get through the day (And that was a lot of them, considering twins!), in a ziplock bag... and then would simply wash off the actual bottle before putting in a new liner and nipple. I would wash out the nipples when we got back to our hotel at the end of every day, and start the next day off again.

I only have one....but this is what I did. Two ziplocs--one marked clean, one dirty. Sink at night. We used Avent drop-ins.

My difference--on vacation we would buy the ready-to-drink bottles (I know, not everyone can use this). One bottle was one feeding so the math was really easy. Easier than figuring out how many scoops I needed or even the to-go packets of powder. And dealing with water..... (I guess I got off topic)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter