• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Clean eating" food at WDW?

Brbird

Earning My Ears
I have special dietary needs and so have always taken most of my food into the park (and always have breakfast before or on the way to the parks).

I cannot have sugar (of any kind--white, brown, high fructose, etc.). This is the one dietary requirement I cannot flex on.

I rarely eat any processed food (white flour, white rice, white pasta), but I could eat a small quantity .

I cannot have any heavy fats (fried food or fatty sauces).

I know this is really picky---but these foods trigger pain (fibromyalgia), and I'm just not a fan of pain. :)

So if anyone has suggestions for either,
1) types of foods found in most parks
2) specific quick dining or restaurants that have "clean" food--nearly all natural ingredients, whole grain, low fat.

And if this doesn't exist at WDW, that's fine. I'll just keep bringing my own food in! :)

2004: Fort Wilderness (tent trailer)
2008: Fort Wilderness (trailer)
2011: Fort Wilderness (trailer)
2012: off-site, short trip, first "couple-only" WDW for 30th anniversary!! :)

I love this question - I love Clean Eating too! but not for any specific reason, just because it's better for us. I try to follow alot of it at home. However, I've figured I'd be lax on vaca. However, I was hoping to see some good responses to your questions. I do plan on getting fruit in the parks -- available at each park at certain places. Also, we stop at the grocery store on our way in (we drive) and pick up things like greek yogurt, whatever we need- stuff for breakfast. You can bring oatmeal with you and get an apple at your food court.
As far as meal food, I'd be interested to see what others say. However, at the buffets, I would imagine there could be something- what about the carved meats? Or wonder if it's from a big nitrate laced piece? I know you can make special requests when you make your reservations, so I would assume you could ask for preparation on something to leave out sugar, use olive oil, etc., You could look on the menu's and see how much junk someone could put in those items, and then request to leave that stuff out.
You can always get a salad and request olive oil and vinegar. I would think some of the better restaurants would totally be able to accomodate you.
Perhaps Sunshine Season may have something.

We clean eat as well, and try to stick with it while at Disney.
We always stop at Whole Foods & pick up healthy snacks to keep in the room....dinner is usually our splurge..even so, Our "splurge" is usually a piece of bread, where we normally avoid the bread basket. I just hate the way certain foods make me feel...

While on vacay though, my motto is if you crave it have it, if you don't really want it, don't bother. I try to follow this rule at home as well..

I agree with Penny in Pink. This will require reading menus. I do best when I eat nourishing foods and avoid processed, white flour, sugars, etc., I always love to see these types of discussions.

We usually book a lot of TS/Signatures. I usually go for the fish with vegetables or beans. Some other TS places where I've found some decent options: The Wave (sustainable fish over edamame), Coral Reef (trout over beans and arugula), Kouzzina (looove the whole fish over greens!). Also, Saana, Cali Grill, Flying Fish, HBD all have multiple good options.

In terms of CS, Sunshine Seasons usually has one or two decent options. I've had a seared tuna over salad that is not on the menu anymore, but there is a grilled fish option now.

The biggest challenge is breakfast and I would love to see more info on suggestions (both CS and TS). I need protein, and I don't care for any bagel-muffin type of stuff made with white flour. Disney seems to have a dearth of whole grains. The frittata and omelets at buffets tend to be some of my favorite options. Cape May Cafe had also grilled asparagus at breakfast. We usually stick to eggs and bacon/sausage and a bowl of fruit and schedule early lunches. We've had the yogurt parfait, but only once-twice because it does have (a lot) of sugar.

HTH, I'm curious to see what other recommendations you get.

I would suggest going to the disABILITIES Forum and look at Post #3 of the disABILITIES FAQs. There is a large section in that post dealing with special dietary needs, as well as many related links. You can get directly to the disABILITIES FAQs by following the link in my signature.

This is a very common topic of discussion in the disABILITIES Forum. We currently have at least four threads going on Page 1 related to dietary restrictions.

This is a very common topic of discussion in the disABILITIES Forum. We currently have at least four threads going on Page 1 related to dietary restrictions.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for letting me know where to find more information! This sounds like a thread that crosses several categories.

I have compiled a list of dishes at each park that I think will work for this diet. I'll post that list in both forums. I have emailed WDW (thanks for the fan who posted the email address!) about the sugar content in the tomato soup, broccoli slaw, and jungle safari soup -- so those might come off my list when I hear back from WDW. I'll also post this on the disABILITY thread.

List of foods that I believe either are or can be easily modified for a "clean eating":

AK:

Rainforest cafe
Jungle Safari Soup –
Paradise House Salad -
The Big Islander Chicken
Caesar
The Little Islander Caesar Salad
Volcanic Cobb Salad
RainForest Natural Burger

Safari Turkey: Smoked turkey leg??

MK:

Aloha Isle:
Fresh Cut Pineapple Spear
Aunti Gravity:
Whole fruit

Columbia House:
Garden Harvest Salad
Lighthouse Sandwich
Broccoli pepper corn salad
Fried Shrimp Basket
Grilled Salmon

Cosmic Ray:
Chicken noodle soup
Grilled Chicken Sandwich

Diamond Horseshoe revue
Ceasar Salad with Chicken

Golden oak outpost:
Vegetable Flatbread
Pecos Bill:
#4 Vegetable Burger
#5 Caesar Salad with Chicken

Pinocchio village haus
Tomato Basil Soup
Caesar Salad

Plaza restaurant:
Chicken Strawberry Salad

Tony’s town square
Minestrone
Mixed Greens
Seasonal soup
Tomato and Mozzarella Salad
Chopped Salad
Mulit-Grain Pasta Primavera
Tony's Flatbread
Seasonal No-Sugar Added Sorbet

EP

Katsura Grill
Chicken Cutlet Curry
Chicken Cutlet Pan

Kringla bakery
Tossed Salad
Ham and Apple Sandwich
Fresh fruit cup

LaHacienda
Ensalada de la Hacienda
Sopa de Frijol
Pescado a la Talla

Liberty Inn
Angus Smokehouse burger
Black bean vegetable Burger

Marrakkesh
Harira Soup
Chicken Couscous
Vegetable Couscous

San Angel Inn:
Ensalada Mexicana
Mahi-Mahi a la Veracruzana
Pollo a las Rajas

Tangierine café:
Vegetarian Platter
Mediterranean Side Dishes

Teppan Edo
Garden Salad
Miso Soup

Tokyo dining:
Edamame
Ebisu

Via Napoli:
Minestrone
Pollo
Wood Fired Authentic Pizza Napoletana

Electric umbrella:
Southwest Black Bean Flatbread
Fruit Cup

Sunshine Seasons:
Ceasar Salad
Rotisserie 1/2 Chicken

HS

50s prime:
Chicken Noodle Soup
Ceasar Salad with Chicken
Aneheim produce
Assorted Whole Fruit
Carrots

Backlot express:
Greek Salad
Grilled Vegetable Sandwich

Catalina Eddies
Caesar Salad

Cool Set refreshments:
Apple Slices
Assorted Whole Fruit
Carrot & Celery Sticks
Carrots
Granny Smith Apple Slices
Grape Cups
Mixed Fruit Cup

Mama Melrose:
Caesar Salad
Mixed Greens
Vegetarian Minestrone

Peevees polar pipeline:
Apple Slices
Assorted Whole Fruit
Carrot & Celery Sticks
Granny Smith Apple Slices
Grape Cups
Mixed Fruit

Sci fi dine-in
Vegetable Burger
Whole Grain Pasta
Fresh Fruit Salad

Starring Rolls Café
Whole Wheat Veggie Pita

Studio catering:
Grilled Vegetable sub
Toluca legs:
Turkey Leg

2004: Fort Wilderness (tent trailer)
2008: Fort Wilderness (trailer)
2011: Fort Wilderness (trailer)
2012: off-site, short trip, first "couple-only" WDW for 30th anniversary!! :)

Great List! Very helpful.

Additionally, if you let them know you have dietary needs (at least at the table service restaurants) the chef will come out and talk to you about your needs, make recommendations, and can even cook to order if possible.

Question for the OP: By "no sugar" do you mean only processed sugars, or are you referring to glucose, fructose, etc.?

If the latter, I don't know any foods, except for meats, that don't contain those.

Question for the OP: By "no sugar" do you mean only processed sugars, or are you referring to glucose, fructose, etc.?

If the latter, I don't know any foods, except for meats, that don't contain those.

I mean the processed sugars--white, brown, high fructose corn syrup--that kind. I can have honey and all "sugar" that is naturally in fruit and other foods--just not added (like dried cranberries always have added sugar but raisins don't).

:)

Thanks for the list! I have been trying to avoid processed sugars, as well as gluten (seems to make my metabolism really slow).

I got an email back from Disney with some information that might be useful. It's pasted below.

I also wanted to add that I accidentally left in "fried shrimp basket"--that clearly is not something on Eat Clean or any such diet. So please ignore that one. :)

*Email from Disney*
The locations listed below have Quick-Service menu items or products that, upon request, may accommodate common food allergy or intolerance requirements.
Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park:
- Restaurantosaurus
- Flame Tree Barbecue
Disney's Hollywood Studios:
- Backlot Express
- Studios Catering Co.
- ABC Commissary
- Toy Story Pizza Planet
Epcot:
- Liberty Inn
- Sunshine Season
Magic Kingdom Park:
- Cosmic Ray's Starlight Café
- Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn & Café
- Main Street Bakery
- Columbia Harbor House
- The Pinocchio Village House
Most Quick-Service locations in the Walt Disney Resorts are able to accommodate special dietary needs and provide menu items and ingredients upon request.

I also wanted to add that I accidentally left in "fried shrimp basket"--that clearly is not something on Eat Clean or any such diet. So please ignore that one. :)

Too funny!

I would like to know if the "whole grain" options they have listed are 100% whole grain, or 51% whole grain or multi-grain (and who knows what multi-grain means?).

They have fresh fruit at several locations -- the ones that come to mind are the stand/wall-less shop at DHS (on your left as you walk towards Tower of Terror) and the similar one in Liberty Square at the MK. The one at the MK also has corn on the cob.

Sunshine Seasons at Epcot is a good choice, too.

As you've identified, the sugar content of the broccoli slaw would concern me. If that's acceptable, the Lighthouse sandwich should work well -- I don't know what % is whole vs. processed grain in the bread, but it is a very hearty feeling and tasting bread. Probably my favorite meal on property :lovestruc

Also, I was able to find hummus and carrot/celery sticks, as well as grapes and fruit salad, at our resort (Pop.)

Not sure if it would work for you, but also, Liberty Tree Tavern has a quinoa burger -- they serve it with sweet potato fries but list fruit cup as an option. Getting that without the bun might be okay, although IIRC the bun is wheat - just not sure how processed, IIRC it's not 'hearty' like the bread for the Lighthouse Sandwich is.

And the veggie burger might work, the ingredients are listed around here somewhere but it's broccoli-based with identifiable pieces of vegetables in it. (Corn off the top of my head, and carrots, as well as more.) Obviously it's processed but the fact that there are identifiable vegetables in it makes it worth looking into. No clue about the sugar content.

They have fresh fruit at several locations -- the ones that come to mind are the stand/wall-less shop at DHS (on your left as you walk towards Tower of Terror) and the similar one in Liberty Square at the MK. The one at the MK also has corn on the cob.

Sunshine Seasons at Epcot is a good choice, too.

As you've identified, the sugar content of the broccoli slaw would concern me. If that's acceptable, the Lighthouse sandwich should work well -- I don't know what % is whole vs. processed grain in the bread, but it is a very hearty feeling and tasting bread. Probably my favorite meal on property :lovestruc

Also, I was able to find hummus and carrot/celery sticks, as well as grapes and fruit salad, at our resort (Pop.)

Not sure if it would work for you, but also, Liberty Tree Tavern has a quinoa burger -- they serve it with sweet potato fries but list fruit cup as an option. Getting that without the bun might be okay, although IIRC the bun is wheat - just not sure how processed, IIRC it's not 'hearty' like the bread for the Lighthouse Sandwich is.

And the veggie burger might work, the ingredients are listed around here somewhere but it's broccoli-based with identifiable pieces of vegetables in it. (Corn off the top of my head, and carrots, as well as more.) Obviously it's processed but the fact that there are identifiable vegetables in it makes it worth looking into. No clue about the sugar content.

Thanks so much!!

i would suggest fresh breakfast and lunch
garden grove breakfast
bluezoo
the wave
fultons
flying fish
boma
there is usually something at whispering canyon
make your own salad at bc marketplace or port orleans
california grill
brown derby
columbia harbor house
garden grill
tangerine cafe

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter