CLE Dis'ers - which airline?

Pembo

OH-IO
With the elimination of nonstops on SW from both CLE and CAK I'm undecided on which airline. Spirit and Frontier are the cheapest but with only one flight a day, I'm worried about problems.

We flew United in Dec and the seats were so cramped!!!

Delta has a 1 stop as does SW. Thoughts?

Hi Pemba,

From the Cleveland area ourselves and understand the frustration with so few direct flights coming out of CLE these days. Because of this we're flying Southwest direct out of Columbus. We've actually done this a couple times because CMH has had better pricing. Easy airport to deal with and only 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive depending where you live. Might be worth looking into for you. Have a good trip.

Last edited:
If you fly Spirit make sure you educate yourself on all the fees. Don't want to check in your bag and get hit up for an extra $100 charge because it was 41 pounds.

Not sure whether Pittsburgh might be closer to you than Columbus, but if it is, there are generally a few direct flights a day on Southwest. But if a 2+ hour drive going or coming back might mean a hotel stay for you, definitely factor that into the cost when comparing.

Looks like Jetblue has 1 stop flights from CLE as well. Personally, I'd pick either Jetblue or Delta with the stop. Maybe Southwest if the price was a lot cheaper, but one thing I don't care for when having layover with Southwest is that you should be at your gate 30 minutes prior to departure for boarding, or else you may have to board after your boarding position if you miss it. If your first flight is late or if it's a short layover, you may be rushing to get to the gate in time for boarding, so you don't get stuck being separated or in the middle seat!

We're with you on this. We're from a little south of Cle so we're also looking at SW out of Columbus as other than United, that's the only non-stops around. We were OK with the one stop flights out of CAK and are really sorry to see them go. We've done the United flight but we prefer SW. For what its worth, Spirit and Frontier do not participate in resort check-in.

SW nonstop out of CMH has been running the same or more in price than CLE. We would consider the one stop on SW but the flight time to MCO doesn't get us in until 3. I prefer to be there in the am.
I'm leaning towards Frontier in spite of the extra fees and no resort check in....unless United prices really drop.
Augh, SW really needs to bring a nonstop back to CLE. Those flights were always full whenever we travelled.

I used Frontier out of CLE for the first time last year and plan on using them again this year. I had a good experience. As others have said, be familiar with the fees before booking. Even with the fees it is still a less expensive option and worked well for me.

Hi Barb! We are going the week after Mother's Day. We are flying SW out of CAK and for the first time we will have a lay-over in ATL. Not real thrilled about that but what are you going to do? SW gives you 2 checked bags free so I feel like they are still the best deal around.

TC :cool1:

Even if it cost extra I would choose a non-stop flight over a direct flight. Even if you don't switch planes that extra stop can cause big delays if there is bad weather at the intermediate airport.

Hi Barb! We are going the week after Mother's Day. We are flying SW out of CAK and for the first time we will have a lay-over in ATL. Not real thrilled about that but what are you going to do? SW gives you 2 checked bags free so I feel like they are still the best deal around.

Hi Old Friend!!! Unfortunately CAK-MCO routes are no longer in existence. I think you got one of the last ones. We did SW last summer to TPA through ATL. It was okay, however flying in the afternoon ups the chances of getting delayed by storms, which happened to us.

Just watching fares on United and Frontier every day....

Good luck! It is becoming more and more of a pain to fly. I really would have no problem driving but BF, Bob, does not like to drive on long trips. I drove a couple of times with Alex, when he was little (he's 25 and in grad school at KSU now!). We always went as far as Columbia, SC and stopped for the day and then got to WDW the next day. What is your bunch up to these days?

With the elimination of nonstops on SW from both CLE and CAK I'm undecided on which airline. Spirit and Frontier are the cheapest but with only one flight a day, I'm worried about problems.

We flew United in Dec and the seats were so cramped!!!

Delta has a 1 stop as does SW. Thoughts?

UA's seats are no more cramped than any legacy airline and you can always buy up to Economy Plus. If you don't want cramped seats, avoid Spirit.

Barb, Frontier does not have a real good track record for that CLE-MCO flight. I usually fly United as I have their Credit card and get free bags. I do pay extra for the premium seats. But they only have one non-stop now as well. This past weekend I flew SW for work. The seats were not that much different than United. And I paid extra to get a better boarding number. I also noticed, that the SW prices and United were not much different.

Good luck!
Debbie

We have flown SW and United out of CLE. I haven't book our flights yet for July but I'm leaning towards United---just can't beat that nonstop flight and early arrival. Hoping those prices drop a little though!!

Currently I'm thinking Frontier for the flight down because of the earlier flight time (8:30 am) and SW back to CLE because of the later flight time (1:10 pm). United leaves MCO at 11 which turns into an 8 am ME time. I don't want to get up early on my departure day. lol

Same here...we follow the non-stop routes only....had used mostly SW out of CAK til the non-stops ended...have points to use UA non-stop out of CLE and we upgrade whenever possible.

Also have CP with SW but now we will only use Pit for SW...about 2:20 travel time for us...but the time of year makes a difference: snow=bad.

CMH is 3 hours away for us...so not in play.

Frontier will kill you with luggage costs and seat assignments.

Spirit is a no go....horrible seats and NEVER on time

Good luck

We're also going in July. We ended up picking SW out of CMH. It's another hour drive time but times and price were better for us than CLE.

Update: I bought round trip on United. The price fell a little today. I don't like the 11 am return time but the nonstop flight won me over. We'll probably have to check one bag but knowing we can have free carry-ons takes the sting out a little. I hope SW brings back nonstops to Cleveland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter