Classroom parent $$

What if the parents can't afford stuff. Okay lets see I can try to make my car payment or I can send money so little Johnny can have a party.

If they really can't afford the $2 or they'll miss their car payment, then they could at least send the teacher a note and let them they know they are unable to help. Just ignoring the repeated requests doesn't solve the problem for anybody.

As far as receipts... you're darn straight I want to see a receipt. If you're going to tell me with a straight face that it costs you between $80-$190 for a class (19 kids) party, you better be serving a full meal, including appetizer and dessert. However, most class parties consist of juice, chips, cupcakes and the like. I also don't think any teacher deserves a $380 "gift". That is absolutely absurd which is why I refused to send in the money for that.

If it's costing you money out of your pocket, then you're doing something very wrong.

Holy smokes, these are volunteers and fellow parents. Would you really treat them this way?

Originally Posted by NYCDiane

As far as receipts... you're darn straight I want to see a receipt. If you're going to tell me with a straight face that it costs you between $80-$190 for a class (19 kids) party, you better be serving a full meal, including appetizer and dessert. However, most class parties consist of juice, chips, cupcakes and the like. I also don't think any teacher deserves a $380 "gift". That is absolutely absurd which is why I refused to send in the money for that.

If it's costing you money out of your pocket, then you're doing something very wrong.

Holy smokes, these are volunteers and fellow parents. Would you really treat them this way?

Having been a class mom, I can say that there are people that WOULD ask to see receipts. I keep record of who sends what whether it is an item for the party or money for a gift. It never fails to amaze me though that moms who don't have time to be involved always seem to find the time to criticize those who are. I know that not everyone can or does make helping at the school a priority. I only get 5 paid days off a year and 2 of them are spent organizing parties for DS's class. I could use them for other things but it is important to me to do this. I make sure to send items in as the teachers need them (clorox wipes, tissues, pencils, etc.). I am an assistant in a special needs class and I know that when we are out, we either buy them out of our pockets or do without. I also send little treats throughout the year and nice gifts at Christmas and end of the year. I do this on an assistant's salary because my kids teachers spend more waking hours with them during the school day than I do so I want them to feel appreciated. :thumbsup2

My daughters class this year is having a grab bag for Christmas- $7.00 is the amount to spend on the gift- I have bought an extra 3 boy and 3 girl gifts just in case some parent doesn't send something in with their child so they won't be left out-if they are not needed I will just donate them to the toy drive but they will be there in case some parent doesn't send something in- I can't see the poor kid sitting there not getting a gift just because their parents can't be bothered.

I agree with buying the extras. I usually (when I can afford it) send in double the amounts for field trips and other things to at least cover one child whose family can't afford sending in the money. So it may not be because a parent can't be bothered. The parent may be very bothered that they can't afford the things most parents can.

When you're telling me it's going to cost you close to $95-$190 for ONE party (that consists of chips, cookies, juice), yeah.... I'd like to see a receipt. I would also like to know where you shop that it's going to cost you that much money for cookies, chips, and juice for 19 kids.

I would have had no problem sending in ITEMS, whether it be food, cutlery, napkins, juice, etc. But if you're asking for a crazy amount of money for a chips, cookies, juice party? Please.

I had no problem sending in money ($20) for the "social" events where the kids had pizza, cake, ice cream, crafts, a DJ, door prizes, etc but for a class party??? Please don't insult my intelligence by saying all parent have to send in $5-$10 for a small class party.

As far as a $380 "gift" for the teacher??? Are you joking???? I think with a class of 19 kids, ***maybe*** a $100 gift card would have been appropriate, not $20 PER CHILD.

Isn't it funny how so many people cannot look beyond their own noses? I just love the assumption that just because something works for you, it can work for everybody. Not everybody has the same circumstances, do they?

Thank you! And you're exactly right. Some people can take 3 days off a month without a problem. Others (like me) have to wait until the day before Christmas Eve when I can take a day off to have my knee surgery. Thankfully, the office is closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Sat/Sun so I'll have 4 days to heal before I can get back to work. Wait! Should I host the class party on that day instead of having my much-needed surgery??? Hmmm.......

Thank you! And you're exactly right. Some people can take 3 days off a month without a problem. Others (like me) have to wait until the day before Christmas Eve when I can take a day off to have my knee surgery. Thankfully, the office is closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Sat/Sun so I'll have 4 days to heal before I can get back to work. Wait! Should I host the class party on that day instead of having my much-needed surgery??? Hmmm.......

Wow, that stinks. I hope it goes well.

If it in the curriculum, then the SCHOOL should pay for it.
What next? "Your child has to learn math, but you are going to send in X for the books, X for the cost of printing worksheets", , etc etc

Everything is "only" a couple dollars - until you get hit from every angle and everyone wants "only a couple dollars"....it adds up quickly.

In our middle school and high school the kids have required reading books. Tale of Two Cities etc......Even though they are REQUIRED, unless you are in the academic classes, YOU have to pay for the book! I don't get that at all. If it is required, the school should provide the book. Pick it back up when they are done reading it, but to tell someone that they have to read the book, but oh by the way, you have to pay for it. And their thinking (and don't flame me here, I had a child in academic classes) is that the "majority " of kids that are in academic classes, are low income so therefore can't afford the books so they have to be provided for them.......Love school.......

When you're telling me it's going to cost you close to $95-$190 for ONE party (that consists of chips, cookies, juice), yeah.... I'd like to see a receipt. I would also like to know where you shop that it's going to cost you that much money for cookies, chips, and juice for 19 kids.

I would have had no problem sending in ITEMS, whether it be food, cutlery, napkins, juice, etc. But if you're asking for a crazy amount of money for a chips, cookies, juice party? Please.

I had no problem sending in money ($20) for the "social" events where the kids had pizza, cake, ice cream, crafts, a DJ, door prizes, etc but for a class party??? Please don't insult my intelligence by saying all parent have to send in $5-$10 for a small class party.

As far as a $380 "gift" for the teacher??? Are you joking???? I think with a class of 19 kids, ***maybe*** a $100 gift card would have been appropriate, not $20 PER CHILD.

No, it doesn't cost me $190 to throw a party but I usually ask for either an item or $5 per child because realistically only 5 or 6 parents will send in money so that will give me about $25 to pay for cupcakes, chips, juice boxes, paper products, a treat bag, and a game or craft for 25 kids. This year, I asked for items for the party and thankfully got almost everything donated and actually have 2 other moms coming to help. As far as the gift, again your math assumes that all of the parents will send in money. I'll be lucky if I get enough money to give the teachers (team of 2) $50 each. $50 doesn't seem like much to me considering the amount of time those teachers spend with my child not to mention the amount of money they probably spend out of pocket for classroom items. $50 won't even reimburse them for that. There is another thread talking about tipping a baby sitter a weeks pay but you have a problem with giving the person teaching your child everyday $5. Seriously? If you have such a huge problem with how the class mom does the party in your child's class, maybe you should either do it yourself or keep your child home that day.

Our party is Thursday. I had a few items donated. I am spending at least $40 out of pocket. No teachers gift, just food, drinks, one craft and one game (limbo, had my own stick). So, yes, it's easy to get up there with the money. We do our own teachers gift from our family, so she will get something. I will gladly show my receipts, but it won't matter. No one will send in any money. I had 2 other parents who are wonderful. Everyone else, they just don't care. So, I will do what I can to make sure their children have as good a time as mine does. :santa:

First of all, you can easily do a class party for 10 kids for under $20. Chips are 99 cents a bag, juice (the gallon jug of Hawaiian Punch) is $2, you can buy a box of 12 cupcakes at BJs for $9. You don't need paper plates or cutlery. Napkins are $2/bag. Cups $1 pkg... Add it all up. Even with 5 bags of chips it only comes to $19. Music is free since someone can bring in a radio (although most teachers have them in the classroom anyway) and games are free since kids can bring them to school or you can make up a game to play.

Oh, and I can't be a "class parent" since I work full time.

I've paid for many class parties and projects out of my pocket. I know lots of children in our specific area don't have money. I'm not gonna punish them for their family not being well off. This year has been traumatic to my family since dh is in residential construction :sad1:, but we are still very blessed with two cars (paid for), and a roof over our heads and food on our table. Some of our kids come to school not having had breakfast, so yeah, I send in pop tarts and such for those kids..... that kind of stuff just breaks my heart. I've been a room mom for 4 years now PLUS a PTO officer for 4 years now. This year I decided I would ask for $5 from each child - money to cover plates, cups, napkins, forks, homemade sausage balls, pigs in a blanket, rice krispie treats, fruit, christmas cupcakes, orange juice, sodas and hot chocolate, plus the craft for the party is homemade lotion - it's an all girls class so they will LOVE it - along with another craft. So far I've collected $90, but I've spent $50 (plus $12 for plates and napkins) .... see, parents are invited to this party so I need to be sure to have enough paper products and food for them as well..... I always spend money out of my own pocket and would be happy to produce receipts to prove it, but I'm running around like a mad lady trying to get it all done in time, so I might lose a receipt here or there........ Our Christmas Party begins at 8 am, so if you ask a parent to bring an item - you're gonna have 24 bags of miniature doughnuts! :rotfl: No one is willing to cook anything and have it somewhere at 8 am. Sure, I've had parents volunteer for 2 dzn sausage biscuits for an 8 am party, then show up with 12 sausage biscuits at 8:45..... uh, HELLO?!

And just so you know - that "I work full time" excuse..... yeah, that makes us CRAZY!!!!! :rolleyes: I have two small children, work a full time job and a part time job and still somehow find time to try to make my child's school a better place! PTO President and Room Mom and lovin' every minute of it!

And just so you know - that "I work full time" excuse..... yeah, that makes us CRAZY!!!!! :rolleyes: I have two small children, work a full time job and a part time job and still somehow find time to try to make my child's school a better place! PTO President and Room Mom and lovin' every minute of it!

I'm sure the kids and the parents appreciate all that you do. I know that I appreciate all the room moms do at my girls' school. I am glad your job allows you to have such freedoms. Many jobs do not. I'm sorry that the "working full-time excuse" drives you crazy, but do you not realize that many people will lose their jobs if they take off for things such as this. Be glad you have that option instead of judging others who perhaps do not have it.

Lucky you that you have a job that allows you to take off 3 days a month plus whatever "class" days you have to take off for.

FYI, most people who work full time can't do that.

I don't take days off to volunteer in the school. I use my lunch breaks to go into the school to volunteer.

You seem to be quick to criticize how class mom's do things but if you're not willing to jump in and help, maybe you shouldn't criticize the effort they put into helping.

In our middle school and high school the kids have required reading books. Tale of Two Cities etc......Even though they are REQUIRED, unless you are in the academic classes, YOU have to pay for the book! I don't get that at all. If it is required, the school should provide the book. Pick it back up when they are done reading it, but to tell someone that they have to read the book, but oh by the way, you have to pay for it. And their thinking (and don't flame me here, I had a child in academic classes) is that the "majority " of kids that are in academic classes, are low income so therefore can't afford the books so they have to be provided for them.......Love school.......

Is that a public school? I would definitely not be happy with that.

They should provide the books, and if you lose it, you pay. In high school, if we lost a book and didn't pay, we couldn't get our diploma - thats tough love :laughing:

Is that a public school? I would definitely not be happy with that.

They should provide the books, and if you lose it, you pay. In high school, if we lost a book and didn't pay, we couldn't get our diploma - thats tough love :laughing:

Ummm those books are ALL available for free at the school library and at the public library so its not the teachers fault if the student "buys" the book. And now a days they are available for download also. (and if we knew a kid was having $$ dificulties often times the teacher had a few copies to loan out.)

As for the room party cost. For those that can do a party for $20 PLEASE share your secrets! I am sure we could all learn from your excellent budget skills. Now keep in mind most of the classes in my area are 30 kids. Thats around $0.75 a kid! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

As treasurer for my nieces PTA I couldnt get the budget down to less than $1.50 per kid! And that was with a TON of donated items! and buying in bulk.(every room got the same exact items) a small gift bag with a pencil and eraser, bag of junk food treat, and a glass of cider and slice of cake or pizza. (yes we fed the kids because our kids most likely didnt go home to dinner.)

And as for the excuses "i work", got time to Dis? Yu have time to email your childs teacher and say, Ms S would you like me to grade some papers for you? feel free to send them home with suzy in a sealed envelope and i will return them in 2 days in that same sealed envelope graded. Its all about priorities in life, I feel for those who have clouded priorities, you will never get these years back. I remember my classroom parties very well! My mom never missed a one! She always made sure we had a fun time and had what was needed. (oh and most of the time my parents were struggling to make ends meet also, so much that she made my clothes and most of our christmas presents)

My heart goes out to the teachers who watch students come in hungry, dirty and eager to learn.

Ummm those books are ALL available for free at the school library and at the public library so its not the teachers fault if the student "buys" the book. And now a days they are available for download also. (and if we knew a kid was having $$ dificulties often times the teacher had a few copies to loan out.)

As for the room party cost. For those that can do a party for $20 PLEASE share your secrets! I am sure we could all learn from your excellent budget skills. Now keep in mind most of the classes in my area are 30 kids. Thats around $0.75 a kid! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

As treasurer for my nieces PTA I couldnt get the budget down to less than $1.50 per kid! And that was with a TON of donated items! and buying in bulk.(every room got the same exact items) a small gift bag with a pencil and eraser, bag of junk food treat, and a glass of cider and slice of cake or pizza. (yes we fed the kids because our kids most likely didnt go home to dinner.)

And as for the excuses "i work", got time to Dis? Yu have time to email your childs teacher and say, Ms S would you like me to grade some papers for you? feel free to send them home with suzy in a sealed envelope and i will return them in 2 days in that same sealed envelope graded. Its all about priorities in life, I feel for those who have clouded priorities, you will never get these years back. I remember my classroom parties very well! My mom never missed a one! She always made sure we had a fun time and had what was needed. (oh and most of the time my parents were struggling to make ends meet also, so much that she made my clothes and most of our christmas presents)

My heart goes out to the teachers who watch students come in hungry, dirty and eager to learn.

Umm.....well yes there is a public library here. 1 copy of said book. 1 library at school (yes this is a public school)with a FEW copies. Our school has close to 3,000 kids. Of course, not all 3,000 kids are reading the same book, but you get the idea of how many kids need the copy of the book.
And not for nothing, whether there are copies or not, WHY is it ok for one group of kids to have the book purchased for them, but another group is on their own?
And I would agree with the policy if they are given a book and they lose it, they have to either pay or have their report card with held.
Our public school is big into sports. I was there the other day and the state of the art weight room would put Lifetime to shame. Our school is ok making sure our athletes are well taken care of, but we can't buy books for all of our students.

Yu have time to email your childs teacher and say, Ms S would you like me to grade some papers for you? feel free to send them home with suzy in a sealed envelope and i will return them in 2 days in that same sealed envelope graded. .

OMG there is NO way that would be allowed here!! What an invasion of the other childrens privacy! I can just hear the moms gossip chain going "well johnny didnt get one answer right"! we dont even let parents in the classroom during anything other than class parties for that reason!

OMG there is NO way that would be allowed here!! What an invasion of the other childrens privacy! I can just hear the moms gossip chain going "well johnny didnt get one answer right"! we dont even let parents in the classroom during anything other than class parties for that reason!

I thought the same thing! That can't be allowed. I've never heard of it, ever. If I did, I would be very upset. Parents should not be grading my child's papers. I'm pretty positive that isn't allowed here and I can't believe it would be anywhere else.

I am truly amazed at how worked up some are getting on this thread. We have some that are too critical of the room moms and some that are acting superior because they are room moms. It reminds me of the working moms vs. the sahm debates. Why do we have to drag each other down.? I think everyone on here loves their children. Why can't everyone just realize what works for one home doesn't work for another???? I just don't get it.:confused3 I work and have many mom friends that work and many that don't. Guess what... some that don't work also don't volunteer and some that do work do volunteer. We don't judge. We have never gotten into this debate, thank goodness.

Ummmmmm, do you really think the school or public library, even both together, have enough copies of these books to loan to an entire class? Even if they are available for download, you realize you still need to pay for that, right?

And as for the excuses "i work", got time to Dis? Yu have time to email your childs teacher and say, Ms S would you like me to grade some papers for you? feel free to send them home with suzy in a sealed envelope and i will return them in 2 days in that same sealed envelope graded. Its all about priorities in life, I feel for those who have clouded priorities, you will never get these years back.

People have been known to access the internet from work ;)
It is nice that a PP was able to go to her childs school on her lunch break, but I would guess that the majority of people are not nearly close enough to school to do that.
As everyone else has pointed out, I find it very unlikely a teacher would hand off papers for grading!

Just because your priority is to volunteer in school, doesn't mean that if it is not someones first, that they have "clouded" priorities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter