CityPass Upgrade - Costco Canada

BigGrinch

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!

Could someone please share their wisdom with me?

According to the CityPass website, if I purchase the Southern California CityPass, I would be credited $265 (US Dollars) (cost of a 3-day park hopper) towards upgrading to a 5-day park hopper which I would do at the Disneyland gate.

Costco Canada currently has the CityPass for $319 (Canadian dollars!). Would I still be credited $265 (US Dollars) towards an upgrade? Or will the fact that I paid less for the CityPass and paid in Canadian $ affect that credit?

Thank you in advance everyone!

We did this in Nov of last year, I bought the city passes from Costco.ca. I upgraded them to 5 days.

Some highlights

We only got a credit of $240 or $250 not $265, cause they were purchased from Costco. I believe for 3 adults and 1 child I paid $150? ( cant remember but we did get less then I was expecting. I was told cause its Costco, but city pass said we should have gotten the regular amount. :confused3

Trying to find were to upgrade was a challenge, I asked at the gates when we scanned in, and was told to see Guest services inside, they told me nope not us, turns out you do the upgrade at the booths outside between DL and CA.

When we did the upgrade, they take your city passes away, we had not used our Sea world yet at this time, so it took a manager and some issues getting them to print us new tickets and also to give me back my city pass. I was told you should do Universal and SeaWorld first before trying to upgrade. something to be aware about when asking.

Sorry I don't have more info its been 8 months :) feels like an eternity, wish I was back!!!

Winky

I just purchased my CityPass and was wondering the same thing.

Also, do you have to visit Disney for 5 consecutive days after the upgrade? Or could I visit Universal in between? I'm planning to do 1 day at each park, visit universal and then spend the other 3 days at DL/DCA.

We went from 13-21

This is what I remember from the trip :)

13th flight in (went shopping in palm springs)
14th Disneyland
15th Universal Studios (decided to keep crowds down on Friday)
16th Disneyland
17th Disneyland (the day I did the upgrade (since it was last day of citypass)
18th SeaWorld
19th Disneyland
20th Disneyland
21st flew home.

Thanks Winky

Thanks MrWinky. I'm planning to use my Magic Morning before I upgrade because I heard you lose it once you do.

I'm curious about how the Citypasses come from Costco.ca. Is it just a credit card-type pass that has a barcode?

Yes they come as a credit card pass. Which you scan in at all locations, only when we did the upgrade did we get new paper Disney passes issued, And had to get our City pass cards returned since we still had not used the SeaWorld portion yet. The cards work in the fast pass machines at DL and CA as well :)

Sorry if this sounds stupid,but how do they know if they were purchased at Costco Canada and not give you the $265 credit?

Sounds like things have changed since we were there in June 2013? We bought citypass cards through costco.ca. When we scanned the city pass cards first day at the gate, they gave us paper tickets for the 3-day hoppers. When we upgraded at the booth, they didn't even ask to see the citypass card, they just upgraded the paper ticket. We got full value for the 3-day hopper. We had not yet used our magic morning, so they printed up an additional ticket for each of us good for one magic morning entry.

Hi All,

I checked directly with Disneyland management, and here is what I was told:

1) All CityPASS holders should get the same credit towards an upgrade, regardless of where they purchased their CityPASS from. (Note this amount changes from year to year and may even change mid-year.)

2) You will receive a paper park hopper ticket for your upgrade, but your CityPASS card should remain with you so that you can use it at the other parks.

Some of you have had experiences contrary to the above, so I guess sometimes it does come down to the individual agent that is helping you perhaps not having the correct information, but according to Disneyland management, the above points are how things are supposed to work. Hope that is helpful!

I tried to get an answer via email (so I could print it out and bring it along in case I got a different answer at the ticket booth). This is the response I got from Guest Experience Services:

"I spoke with a cast member at our ticket booths, and he informed me that unfortunately, without the tickets in front of them, they would not be able to give exact dollar amounts as to what the value of the upgrade would be."

I was very specific about how much I was purchasing it for from Costco in Canada but they still couldn't tell me? I find that odd. It's frustrating to not know how much it will cost becuase that's kind of important when deciding whether or not it's worth it.

I wish there was something from Management that I could print out in case I get an agent that doesn't want to give me the correct credit amount.

Thank you to everyone for your effort and advice.

BigGrinch, sorry you were not able to get a straight answer from Disney. If it helps at all, here is what we say about the upgrade credit on our website; these amounts came straight from Disney:

For 2014 Southern California CityPASS cards purchased prior to June 17, a credit of $260 for Ages 10+ and $244 for Ages 3-9 will be applied toward another ticket of equal or greater value. For 2014 Southern California CityPASS cards purchased June 17 or later, a credit of $265 for Ages 10+ and $254 for Ages 3-9 will be applied toward another ticket of equal or greater value.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter