City Shorts at Dinner?

We just got off the DREAM yesterday:sad1: and I can tell you I saw lots of shorts being worn to dinner:scared1: with apparently no commotion.:confused3 While I wear full length pants to dinner it appeared there are no "pants only police".:rolleyes:

Mmouse, I thought jeans were ok, but after reading a post or two about people not approving of jeans in the dining room, I just about had a stroke myself! :confused3
DH wears jeans with a Ralph Lauren button down and I don't consider that a fashion arrest for casual nights either.

I know the *guidelines* say no shorts, but I think that's meaning denim, Daisy Dukes, frayed, etc. not knee length dressier fabrics with a nice blouse and shoes (other than flip flops).
Same with tank tops. I have dressier sequin tank tops (again that I'd wear with jeans) that are a complete 180 from a faded knotted stretched out tie dye bra strap showing souvenier type of tank.

City shorts... huh?

LOL... I thought they were "Executive" Shorts...

(that's how the women get away with wearing them in my office)

:happytv:

:rotfl2: My first cruise on Thursday, whoop whoop :banana: Disney Magic to Europe. I have been laughing so much at this thread, folks get really heated! I've been lurking for a while and saw the other simialr thread get shut down. In the mean time I have been out to buy full length chinos and linen pants for my 6 yr old DS, who has autism, for dinner time, more because I read the air conditioning is very effective........ but also because I want to follow the code on our first trip. He is the only boy, as we are leaving hubby at home, and travelling with my DD, and 3 female relatives so we should be fine!

Mmouse, I thought jeans were ok, but after reading a post or two about people not approving of jeans in the dining room, I just about had a stroke myself! :confused3
DH wears jeans with a Ralph Lauren button down and I don't consider that a fashion arrest for casual nights either.

I know the *guidelines* say no shorts, but I think that's meaning denim, Daisy Dukes, frayed, etc. not knee length dressier fabrics with a nice blouse and shoes (other than flip flops).
Same with tank tops. I have dressier sequin tank tops (again that I'd wear with jeans) that are a complete 180 from a faded knotted stretched out tie dye bra strap showing souvenier type of tank.

I also believe (my own opinion of course) that the tank top rule is for men....I take it as no one wants to see your hairy armpits or a whole lot of your hairy chest and back while eating! I guess that could go for women as well LOL!!! I have seen (and worn) sleeveless and tank tops before. with never a problem.

MJ

City shorts... huh?

LOL... I thought they were "Executive" Shorts...

(that's how the women get away with wearing them in my office)

:happytv:

Executive shorts ... that's a new one to add to the list .... let's see city shorts, executive shorts, clamdiggers, capris, coulottes .... and I think gauchos fits in the list too! :)

Again everyone, thanks for the input!

For what it's worth, I agree with those who say that as long as they are nice shorts with a nice top, I think it would be fine.

However, we are going on our first cruise in August so I'm not sure if my opinion is of any value.

But I think city shorts (well at least the ones I see here) falls under business casual. Some even look like skirts and because it's made of dress pants material, I think it'll be fine. If I saw someone wearing them at the dining room, I wouldn't even notice but then again, I'm not one to be upset about these things. I find it much more disconcerting when people go to dinner and they haven't bathed in days!:eek:

A few years ago the Navigators and website included "no jeans" on their list of what is requested NOT to wear on cruise casual nights. Then one year, it disappeared and has not returned. Some people still remember that and answer as if that's the case.

And - DCL continues to confuse the issue because while their cruise docs don't include info on what to wear anymore, and the Navigators and web info don't frown on jeans, they are evidently including "no jeans" in some of the e-mails they are sending only for the Alaska cruise, which is just weird.

Personally, I think they don't realize the running debate they cause by doing that - or more likely, they don't even realize the disparity in their own published info. (Or - they absolutely DO know and laugh every time they read the heated dialogue about "to jean" or "not to jean".....!)

City shorts are dressier than a lot of the mini-skirts you'll see in the dining rooms, too - and longer in most cases, too!

For jeans, I agree there are dressier ones, like a dark wash finish which can look very put together. My comment was more directed at those that wear t-shirts, sports shirts/jerseys, VERY casual type dressing...more of what you'd find at a fast food restaurant like McDonalds not a nice sit down one.

Until DCL either enforce the guidelines/request's these thread's will go on and on and on.

DCL is the creator of it's own monster. Someone, somewhere wrote up the request's of attire for dinner.
But they were never enforced, and server's being paid nearly only by their tip's were never going to enforce them for fear of a bad or no tip.

Until someone at DCL decide's enough is enough and they decide that with given notice the rule's and request's will have to be abided by or you will be requested to change, or to scrap the rule's entirely and people can wear what they think is appropriate attire for dinner, then people who choose to follow the rules will continually be offended, and those that choose to wear what they want will.

Has anyone that has been offended/displeased with other Guest's dinning attire written to Karl Holz and expressed their displeasure and if so what was the result?

Personally I think the Maitre D' should be in a non tip position (Paid according to Guest's score's for the service and food quality only) and should have the final say on the Guest's attire for entrance into His or Her restaurant and final say as to whether it is appropriate and meet's the requirements.

Then all of this rule breaking, rule bending, rule interpreting would stop and end the confusion.

Ex Techie

No fair! If people get to wear "city shorts" then I get to wear my "Daisy Dukes"!

Now, I'm fairly sure you made that comment tongue-in-cheek, however I can assure you that, on the first DCL cruise that DH and I took, one of our table mates was indeed wearing denim cut-off shorts so short her butt cheeks were hanging out the bottom (pardon the pun) ;)

Was her choice of attire suitable dress for dinner? In my opinion, no! Did it ruin my enjoyment of my meal? No (although her moaning that she 'can't understand you Brits because you don't speak properly' nearly did) :rolleyes:

ETA: To answer the OP's question, personally I think what you described sounds fine :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter