City, Sand, and Savanna - Link to new trip report

Hey Hidey HO!!!

I am making a tenuous foray into DISBoardsLand to say a hearty Merry Christmas to all my long-lost homeys. Been a crazy term/year, and it's not over yet... but definitely slowing down. For a while. Glenn, I wish I had time to sit here a read like a mad woman, but alas, the family is drawn near to the fire listening to someone make amazing music on the piano, and we're headed up to the Hobbit midnight release tonight. Soon, my friend, soon, I will be back and enjoy all of your company once more. Promise! Meantime, enjoy your families, enjoy the moments, enjoy your Gifts!!!!

Liesa!:cheer2: So fun to see you here - I had to think a minute who you were!:lmao: Merry Christmas to all of you - enjoy your break - sounds like you are off to a great start! :cheer2:

while i do not agree with your assessment at all, i dont want to get marvs old man panties in a bunch from you taking a point away from him...so ill let you award the point to the wrong person this time.:rolleyes1

Thank you. It's not a pretty sight when that happens.

i knew i always liked your rosie...and we know that we are correct in our seeing it, even if glenn doesnt know his own wifes hair.:upsidedow

It's getting deep again!

Hey Hidey HO!!!

Liesa!!! :yay::banana::cheer2::jumping3::dogdance:

I was just thinking about you, wondering how you were doing.

Oh yeah....:welcome:

I am making a tenuous foray into DISBoardsLand to say a hearty Merry Christmas to all my long-lost homeys. Been a crazy term/year, and it's not over yet... but definitely slowing down. For a while.

We've missed you. I'm glad the term is winding down for you.

Glenn, I wish I had time to sit here a read like a mad woman, but alas, the family is drawn near to the fire listening to someone make amazing music on the piano, and we're headed up to the Hobbit midnight release tonight. Soon, my friend, soon, I will be back and enjoy all of your company once more. Promise! Meantime, enjoy your families, enjoy the moments, enjoy your Gifts!!!!

No worries....the chapter links are there for whenever you get a little time. The evening ahead of you sounds really nice -- go enjoy it! And thank you so much for checking in here and letting us know that you're alive and well.

Liesa!:cheer2: So fun to see you here - I had to think a minute who you were!:lmao: Merry Christmas to all of you - enjoy your break - sounds like you are off to a great start! :cheer2:

:laughing:

Hey Hidey HO!!!

I am making a tenuous foray into DISBoardsLand to say a hearty Merry Christmas to all my long-lost homeys. Been a crazy term/year, and it's not over yet... but definitely slowing down. For a while. Glenn, I wish I had time to sit here a read like a mad woman, but alas, the family is drawn near to the fire listening to someone make amazing music on the piano, and we're headed up to the Hobbit midnight release tonight. Soon, my friend, soon, I will be back and enjoy all of your company once more. Promise! Meantime, enjoy your families, enjoy the moments, enjoy your Gifts!!!!

It's Liesa!

:cool1:

I'm happy to say that I don't know the next line, and I don't intend to look it up! :laughing:

I had to look it up to get that much.... :rotfl2:

Hey Hidey HO!!!

:eek: :faint: Hey I know you.... I have actually met and spent time with you. :lmao:

So glad you are well and Merry Christmas and I hope you get to catch up a bit. Lots has happened while you have been busy. :rolleyes:

I'm all caught up!!! I think if I did a WDW/Vero trip I would do Vero last to rest. :beach: I always say that I need a vacation from vacation when I get back from Disney. :faint:
On Abby's trip she wants to go to EoS on our first night.

while i do not agree with your assessment at all, i dont want to get marvs old man panties in a bunch from you taking a point away from him...so ill let you award the point to the wrong person this time.:rolleyes1

i knew i always liked your rosie...and we know that we are correct in our seeing it, even if glenn doesnt know his own wifes hair.:upsidedow

I would have NO problem taking a point from Marv:rotfl2:, but Glenn didn't even give me the "Clara " point !!!:confused3:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Hey Hidey HO!!!

Liesa! :wave2:

Good to hear from you and Merry Christmas!

Hey Hidey HO!!!

Hey I know you!!!

WOOT! All caught up! Sorry I haven't commented in awhile. Looks like I came just in time for the WDW portion YEAH! Yee-Haw Bob sounds like a cool dude! This is only the second time I've heard about him too and a true documentation of what he does. I'll have to make note of him the next time I'm in the world.

Can't wait to read about more! :mickeyjum

Hey Hidey HO!!!

Liesa soooo good to hear from you again!!! A Joyful Season to you and your family!!! We need you back though the Boys need you to keep them in line !!!!

We’re up to June 24th, 2012 in our trip report. We’d had some pre-trips -- Judy and Lauren went to New York City using DVC points, and we all spent a few days at Disney’s Vero Beach resort, but this was our first full Disney day. I was awake at 5am. I was tired but couldn’t sleep, due to that Disney excitement that anyone reading this probably understands.

When Poppy emerged from the master bedroom he said that he should have brought a stepladder along to get into bed. (The beds at Animal Kingdom Lodge are quite high, but comfortable. I had forgotten about that. )

We watched the TV for updates on Tropical Storm Debby. The news wasn’t good. The rain was finally reaching the Orlando area, and today was expected to be pretty wet. I had a “non-park” day planned for later in the week and thought about changing it to today rather than try to tour a park in the rain. But the big plan for that future non-park day was Tea at the Grand Floridian for the ladies, so I didn’t want to change the Plan unless that could be moved. I called Dining Reservations and no dice, we couldn’t get them into the Tea today, so we’d stay on schedule. Disney Hollywood Studios…Tropical Storm Debby…here we come!

We got ready to go, but honestly, since it was raining we weren’t in a huge hurry. We left our room a little before 9, and I took a picture of our door. Yes, good ol’ room 7438.

IMG_5971.jpg

Okay, apparently Gram and Poppy and Judy had some last minute things to attend to, so the rest of us hung out in the hallway, rarin’ to go. These frosted windows are pretty cool.

IMG_5972.jpg

Poor Lauren, her little sister has grown taller than she is. At least her little brother is still crazier.

When we got to the bus stop a DHS bus was just pulling away. Of course. We finally caught one at 9:15.

On the bus, I caught this picture of James and his grandpa. And some random guy’s backside.

IMG_5975.jpg

Once in the park, my notes say that Lauren and James went for Toy Story Mania fastpasses while I accompanied Marlene to an American Idol audition. I’m not sure what Judy and Gram and Poppy did. I think they just made their way up Hollywood Boulevard, browsing in a couple of shops. So we’ll follow my journey since I was the one taking notes and pictures.

Marlene and I walked past the Sorcerer’s hat, turned left onto Commissary Lane and found the American Idol audition sign a little ways down, on the left. We entered and could hear some auditions taking place, but there was only one other potential contestant waiting with us, so we didn’t have a long wait. Soon, we were ushered into an audition room and met Marlene’s auditioner, Mimi. What a great name for a singer -- Mimi. I mean, isn’t that what you sing when you warm up? Me-me-me-me-me-me-me. Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

IMG_5976.jpg

Mimi told me that still pictures were okay, but no video recording was allowed. That was a little disappointing, but okay, I’ll comply.

IMG_5977.jpg

IMG_5978.jpg

After a little chit-chat, Marlene sang “Misery” by Maroon 5.

“I am in misery
There ain't nobody who can comfort me
(Oh yeah)
Why won't you answer me
The silence is slowly killing me
Girl you really got me bad
You really got me bad
I'm gonna get you back
Gonna get you back”

She was nervous, but did well.

When she finished, Mimi said “What’re you doing later today. Can you be here through the evening?” I, of course, said that we could, and was really happy for Marlene, since it looked like she was going to be asked to be in the show.

IMG_5979.jpg

But unfortunately, it went a little bit downhill from there. After the initial song of their choice, contestants are asked to audition with a song from a list on a laminated card. For the second song, we had trouble finding a suitable song for Marlene’s voice.

IMG_0125.jpg

I don’t remember what song she ended up trying, and I think she may have tried lines from a couple, but afterward Mimi said that she needed to work on her breathing and transitions. Mimi tried to let her down easy though, saying that Marlene had a great “foundation” -- “You have ‘the look’, everything…

…But, I have to pass.”

Oh, we were so close!

Marlene was disappointed, but took it well. We went out and found some cover from the rain, up against the wall of the ABC Commissary while I texted Judy to let her know that she didn’t make it into the show. We also texted Lauren so that Marlene could join-up with her and James. A minute later, Lauren and James walked by and we called them over. They had just finished Star Tours. Marlene went off went them, and I went to find Gram and Poppy and Judy.

For Gram and Poppy, I needed to think of some sit-down rides, and when you’re in the middle of Disney Hollywood Studios, there’s none better than The Great Movie Ride. It was the perfect choice, sit-down and nostalgia. And Judy had never been on it, so that was even more reason. But better yet, we got...

The Cowboy scene! It does exist!

IMG_5981.jpg

IMG_5982.jpg

Watch out for that scallywag across the street!

IMG_5983.jpg

The focus on this next picture didn’t turn out the way I intended, but I kind of like it.

IMG_5984.jpg

Oh no! That’s the old gasoline and match factory!

IMG_5985.jpg

I’ll just take cover behind these boxes of black powder.

IMG_5986.jpg

Our new cowboy-turned-tourguide took us further into our tour of Hollywood highlights, such as this scene -- where Alien becomes enraged at the sight of baldness.

IMG_5987.jpg

Our cowboy-tourguide met his comeuppance however, at the Indiana Jones scene.

IMG_5989.jpg

IMG_5990.jpg

IMG_5991.jpg

Yikes!

Later, Tarzan came swinging by, but I was a little too slow with my camera. Even though it’s a terrible shot, I’m including it in the trip report because I think it’s kind of funny.

IMG_5993.jpg

Then our tourboat brought us to Munchkinland.

IMG_5995.jpg

And despite the Wicked Witch of the West...

IMG_5997.jpg

...Dorothy and her friends made it to the Emerald City.

IMG_5998.jpg

As we were leaving The Halfway-Decent Place to Sit Down and Ride we had to put our ponchos back on because the rain was coming down pretty hard. We paused for a moment at the edge of the doorway to decide where to go next (we were the last ones in our group to leave, I hate when people stop in front of me so I try not to do it to others). Can you believe I didn’t have a plan? I plan our park days, some of our meals, but for the nitty-gritty order of attractions, I like to leave that to what feels right on game-day, going in with a few things on a mental list of “Must Do’s” or “Like To Do’s”. Anyway, I mentioned that the only thing I wanted to make sure that I got in at some point during the day was Star Tours, since I wanted to see it after the renovation. But...I didn’t think that Poppy would like it since he doesn’t like motion rides. But Gram overrode me saying, “let’s do it”. And then she gave me a quote that might have been an apt trip report title:

“We’re here to do stuff!”

Well all right. Star Tours it is!

The line zipped along pretty quickly, so I only took one picture in the Star Tours queue, this robot.

IMG_5999.jpg

Soon we were off on our galactic adventure, and we had a rebel spy in our midst -- it was Poppy!

The new Star Tours is awesome! We loved it! I don’t want to spoil it for anyone who has yet to try it, but at the end of the ride the 3-D effect was especially thrilling (I thought I was going to be shish-kabob) and our whole carload of space travelers burst into applause. Well, everyone except Poppy, who had turned white. Poor guy. I knew he wouldn’t like it, but he took one for the team.

After that adventure, we wandered down the Streets of America. We came across a Photopass photographer and thought that we might as well document our drowned-rat look.

I thought he’d take a picture of us on the street, but he directed us towards this door, saying that on a rainy day like today, they only take pictures under covered areas. “I guess they don’t want us to take these expensive cameras out in the rain.” Hey, makes sense.

Photo0008FourBySix.jpg

From there we went to the Backlot Tour, but as we moved up the line we could see that we weren’t going to get in with the next group, and it’s a fairly long tour once you start. We had a lunch reservation coming up, and factoring-in our slow walking pace, I decided that we’d better start making our way to it. Hurrying after the tour wasn’t an option.

Poncho hoods on, back into the rain. “Lead on Macduff.” (Sorry for the slight misquote, Shakespeare fans, but that’s what we say nowadays.)

Up next: Walkie-talkie’s at the table
Link to next chapter

It's Liesa!

:cool1:

:eek: :faint: Hey I know you.... I have actually met and spent time with you. :lmao:

So glad you are well and Merry Christmas and I hope you get to catch up a bit. Lots has happened while you have been busy. :rolleyes:

Liesa! :wave2:

Good to hear from you and Merry Christmas!

Hey I know you!!!

Liesa soooo good to hear from you again!!! A Joyful Season to you and your family!!! We need you back though the Boys need you to keep them in line !!!!

It's great to have an appearance from Liesa, isn't it?! :cheer2: :goodvibes

I had to look it up to get that much.... :rotfl2:

The chorus is much more memorable.

I'm all caught up!!! I think if I did a WDW/Vero trip I would do Vero last to rest. :beach: I always say that I need a vacation from vacation when I get back from Disney. :faint:
On Abby's trip she wants to go to EoS on our first night.

Yes, a vacation from the vacation is exactly what you need after a week at DisneyWorld. Vero is a great spot for that.

That's fantastic that Abby is helping with the planning. :thumbsup2 Hey, she knows what she wants. I like that!

I would have NO problem taking a point from Marv:rotfl2:, but Glenn didn't even give me the "Clara " point !!!:confused3:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I think I've heard of your mind-reading Aunt Clara....Clara Voyant, right? :rotfl2:

WOOT! All caught up! Sorry I haven't commented in awhile.

No problem Timmy. I ashamed at how many TRs I'm waaaay behind on.

Looks like I came just in time for the WDW portion YEAH! Yee-Haw Bob sounds like a cool dude! This is only the second time I've heard about him too and a true documentation of what he does. I'll have to make note of him the next time I'm in the world.

Oh yeah, Yeehaa Bob puts on a great show -- you definitely need to catch him. I have a TR chapters about previous visits to his show in my earlier reports, if you want to read more. They should be fairly easy to find in the contents.

Can't wait to read about more! :mickeyjum

Yay! I'm glad you're still following along even though my updates haven't been coming exactly fast and furious.

So glad Marlene tried the American Idol Adventure again! After the last time I know she was disappointed in the outcome this time. Sadly, I guess they do have to limit which songs they can use for the auditions, but not having a good choice really sucks!

Wow, the Western side of the GMR does still exist!!! :rotfl2:

It's great to have an appearance from Liesa, isn't it?! :cheer2: :goodvibes

Yes, you can see by the excited replies she is a legend here.
"We once spent time with this wonderfully warm woman named Liesa.
She regaled us with tales from the Stepp.
She planned and ran and ran some more.
She made her quest to the world and met some more wonderful people.
She settled down by the river, started school.... and we don't see much of her...
But I hear tell if the wind is right, and class is over, she might just appear again, so be ready my DIS friends!"

Looks like you did a good job of "doing stuff" in spite of Debby Downer.:thumbsup2 Too bad Marlene missed out on being part of the show. Good for her for being brave and trying out, though!

I saw the cowboy show on TGMR the first time we were there, and then never again... I wonder why it's so elusive. It seems like we missed out on the Aliens a time or two also. Maybe they weren't working?:confused3

You all look cute in your ponchos. Too bad you didn't get the Singing in the Rain pose. I guess you can sing in the rain but not photograph in the rain.

Just a little to the right, Marlene, and we'll have a nice little Hidden Mickey going on.

Good for you guys, especially your mom and dad, for braving the storm. I know what HS is like in that kind of weather. We were there during Tropical Storm Faye.

Bummer about AI, but at least you knew early on and didn't have to hang around for the whole day. There's always next time!

Great call on the Great Movie Ride! Did your parents love it? We had the Cowboy scene once and it was AWESOME!

What a riot with Poppy being the Rebel Spy. Too bad it came at a price. Hopefully he is feeling better for lunch.

We’re up to June 24th, 2012 in our trip report. We’d had some pre-trips -- Judy and Lauren went to New York City using DVC points, and we all spent a few days at Disney’s Vero Beach resort, but this was our first full Disney day. I was awake at 5am. I was tired but couldn’t sleep, due to that Disney excitement that anyone reading this probably understands.

Geoff teases me because whenever we decide to go up to Disney the next day, I *always* have trouble sleeping and I'm always up super early.

Also - that's the day where I was sitting around and bored (because it was pouring) and randomly decided that I wanted to play in the rain. So I went to Epcot. It was fantastic! No one was around!

But unfortunately, it went a little bit downhill from there. After the initial song of their choice, contestants are asked to audition with a song from a list on a laminated card. For the second song, we had trouble finding a suitable song for Marlene’s voice.

I'm pretty sure Studios Central has all the song choices on their website, so she can go online before your trip and rehearse a song!

I was awake at 5am. I was tired but couldn’t sleep, due to that Disney excitement that anyone reading this probably understands.
::yes::

The rain was finally reaching the Orlando area, and today was expected to be pretty wet. I had a “non-park” day planned for later in the week and thought about changing it to today rather than try to tour a park in the rain.
Just go, I don't think the heavy stuff's gonna come down for quite a while.

So we’ll follow my journey since I was the one taking notes and pictures.
Or you could make up a really cool story about what Judy and Gram and Poppy did. Nobody would know the difference. :thumbsup2:rotfl:

…But, I have to pass.”

Oh, we were so close!
Darn... Poor Marlene. Maybe next time! :thumbsup2

Can you believe I didn’t have a plan?
:scared1::faint:

I plan our park days, some of our meals, but for the nitty-gritty order of attractions, I like to leave that to what feels right on game-day, going in with a few things on a mental list of “Must Do’s” or “Like To Do’s”.
Ok, that's kind of a plan. I pretty much operate the same way. I know which ones need to be done early and which ones can be skipped till later in the day and then just go with it! :thumbsup2:rotfl2:

Anyway, I mentioned that the only thing I wanted to make sure that I got in at some point during the day was Star Tours, since I wanted to see it after the renovation. But...I didn’t think that Poppy would like it since he doesn’t like motion rides. But Gram overrode me saying, “let’s do it”. And then she gave me a quote that might have been an apt trip report title:

“We’re here to do stuff!”
Awesome! I like Gram!!! :thumbsup2:rotfl2::rotfl:

I don’t want to spoil it for anyone who has yet to try it, but at the end of the ride the 3-D effect was especially thrilling (I thought I was going to be shish-kabob)
Well, that isn't really a spoiler anyway, because you might not even get that particular ending. ;)

Well, everyone except Poppy, who had turned white. Poor guy. I knew he wouldn’t like it, but he took one for the team.
Uh oh... I just hope it didn't make him miserable for the rest of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter