• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

City, Sand, and Savanna - Link to new trip report

Yes, I'm behind again. :sad1:

Great update, Lauren. I love looking at dinosaurs (bugs, not so much). My DH would love your taste in elephants. :goodvibes

This game is not Jeopardy so NO take outs !!!:rotfl2:As for someone telling Judy about the Game:rolleyes:It has turned out well that she knows and she should definately be on the Rules Committee .Judy we womwn need your help against the Boys !!!!:):lmao:

Woo hoo!! Lauren got on tv!!! Awesome!! Ok, I must say that I am really enjoying the whole NY trip. I am however very, VERY glad I missed the bug exhibit!! Do not in any way, shape or form like bugs. Except maybe lady bugs. ;)

Looking forward to more chapters!

Hello Glennbo Family!

Lauren, some more great updates (and thanks for the tidbits Glenn). That is so exciing that you were on TV. Sorry I did not get to watch it live.

I am also finally caught back up. I am in Bangalore, India for a month for work and I am so busy that I am having trouble keeping up with trip reports. I will read all the installments, so please keep them coming. Good luck at college this fall as I assume you are already there, or close to leaving.

Looking forward to hearing about the SoHo shopping. I have some time in both Paris and NYC on my way home to shop so I am looking forward to hearing about you shopping adventure.

As always, thanks for sharing!

Glenn & Lauren, I just read all the NYC updates in one sitting...I'm loving reading about this city I live in from a newcomer's perspective! Somehow I managed to work at Rock Center for 3 years and never made it to the top of it! And that's so great that Lauren got to be on tv...Glenn, you must've been so excited!

Looking forward to more!

Nice update and pics.

I love to walk along the par or inside. Glad to see you met your friend.

Glenn and others who have wished for Torpedo pix , check out my Cape Cod TR not torpedoing but fuel for frivolity at my expense:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

So far, so good. She's asked that we send some things that we had recommended she take and she decided to not take our advice. :headache: Yes, it does already feel quieter, especially when the other kids are at activities -- my gosh, we're on our way to being "empty nesters"! :eek: How did that happen?

I know you turn around twice and they are gone!:sad2: We have been realizing we were the ages of our boys when we moved here, and our boys were the ages of our grandkids in Texas. I don't know where that time went, but we are trying to point out to them how fast it goes and to prepare for the future and to stop and make memories! Which I think they are both good at - partly because of our Disney trips, I think.

No one's claimed her room...it's the unofficial guest room; she always had to temporarily move in with Marlene when someone visited, so we'll keep it that way unless someone gets some wild ideas.

I thought it said, "no one's CLEANED her room :lmao:

I thought I might as well mention it before you guys point it out. I think it was Pat who had a post one time where she said she couldn't remember the bus driver's name but had a picture of him with "Dave" (or something) clearly displayed on his name badge. :laughing:

That sounds like something I would do! :rotfl2:

Works on my droid too. I really like the app. :teeth:

I noticed that with the iPhone, it doesn't include pictures in the quotes...so if you want to comment on an particular picture and include it in the quote, you have to do it through Safari rather than the app. Kind of a pain.

You are not alone. That has happened to me too. :confused3

I'm sure it's happened to everyone who is beyond the designation of "earning my ears". :sad2:

Yes, I'm behind again. :sad1:

No worries at all Kathy. If it's any consolation, I'm behind on your thread too! (Among others.) :laughing:

Great update, Lauren. I love looking at dinosaurs (bugs, not so much). My DH would love your taste in elephants. :goodvibes

You're a giraffe girl. ::yes::

This game is not Jeopardy so NO take outs !!!:rotfl2:

Lookit you, telling the Rules Committee what the rules should be. Hmmpf. ;)

As for someone telling Judy about the Game:rolleyes:It has turned out well that she knows and she should definately be on the Rules Committee .Judy we womwn need your help against the Boys !!!!:):lmao:

I'll pass this message on to her right away! :rolleyes1

Woo hoo!! Lauren got on tv!!! Awesome!!

It was really cool from my perspective, watching from home, and I know they enjoyed it.

Ok, I must say that I am really enjoying the whole NY trip. I am however very, VERY glad I missed the bug exhibit!! Do not in any way, shape or form like bugs. Except maybe lady bugs. ;)

Looking forward to more chapters!

Understandable about the bugs. How are you with the bat exhibit at Animal Kingdom?

Hello Glennbo Family!

Hiya Disneybuckeye!

Lauren, some more great updates (and thanks for the tidbits Glenn). That is so exciing that you were on TV. Sorry I did not get to watch it live.

I thought for sure that some DISer would tell me that they saw them, but no.

I am also finally caught back up. I am in Bangalore, India for a month for work and I am so busy that I am having trouble keeping up with trip reports. I will read all the installments, so please keep them coming. Good luck at college this fall as I assume you are already there, or close to leaving.

Wow, that's exciting, being in India. I'm sure it's quite a culture shock.

Yep, Lauren's now at college and classes start tomorrow. Thanks for the well-wishes.

Looking forward to hearing about the SoHo shopping. I have some time in both Paris and NYC on my way home to shop so I am looking forward to hearing about you shopping adventure.

As always, thanks for sharing!

You're welcome! I'm not sure if the chapter'll help much, but we'll try.

Glenn & Lauren, I just read all the NYC updates in one sitting...I'm loving reading about this city I live in from a newcomer's perspective!

It's got to be quite interesting for you New Yorkers.

Somehow I managed to work at Rock Center for 3 years and never made it to the top of it!

You should go before the baby arrives...there will be no free time after that!

And that's so great that Lauren got to be on tv...Glenn, you must've been so excited!

If they had only gotten on during one of those "pan the crowd" shots (which is what I expected) I would've thought "yay, I saw them"....but when Lauren was right smack-dab between the hosts, I was beside myself!

Looking forward to more!

Sweet!

Nice update and pics.

Thanks Scott!

I love to walk along the par or inside. Glad to see you met your friend.

It seems like a very nice park, and it was cool that they knew somebody who worked at the museum and got to see him in bug-displaying action.

Glenn and others who have wished for Torpedo pix , check out my Cape Cod TR not torpedoing but fuel for frivolity at my expense:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Ahhh, okay. After a bit. Thanks for the heads-up!

That sounds like something I would do! :rotfl2:

It is easy to do, and makes for entertaining reading. "Ah hello, did you even look at these pictures you're posting?" :confused:

Finished with our day at the museum, we were on our merry way. As we were walking, I saw a statue of Abraham Lincoln and decided to imitate him.

NYC2012231.jpg

And then I took one, frontal view and just Honest Abe.

NYC2012232.jpg

Also, I noticed a tree on the top of this one building. I thought it was funny because where I come from, trees only grow on the ground.

NYC2012235.jpg

Then on our way back to the hotel, we came across a festival on 55th and 7th Avenue. I bought a dress there and Mom took a wonderful picture of me.

NYC2012236.jpg

Thanks for the warning!

NYC2012237.jpg

Glenn here, I need to interject – they sent these dress pictures to Marlene to ask her if she wanted one, in this color:

NYC2012238.jpg

She didn’t. Okay, back to Lauren.

Then we went to the hotel and got directions to the nearest subway. We were going to brave it! Before we did though, we went to Jamba Juice. Mom has been talking about this smoothie place for years, so I just had to try it. We both got the same mixed berry smoothie, though I don’t remember the name. Then, we went down to the subway. I took a few pictures of the inside. It was kinda dirty and creepy, but Mom was there with me.

NYC2012239.jpg

NYC2012240.jpg

Oh, and I took a photo of Mom, the double-fisted drinker. Lol.

NYC2012241.jpg

We sat on the bench and waited for our train. It was actually pretty awesome because the tickets were only $2.50 each! You could go from one end of NYC to the other for only $2.50. Seemed like a bargain to me.

We rode the R train all the way down to where the 9-11 memorial is. On the ride down, two boys came on with a boom box and danced while the subway was moving. They were very good. I didn’t take any pictures because I figured I would have to pay them (they came around with a hat when they were done). But it was pretty entertaining. Like, when the subway stopped they would say “The show will continue when the doors open and close”. That made me laugh. Also, when we got off the subway and made our way to the “surface” there was some artwork on the walls. I just found that surprising for the subway. It was a pleasant surprise.

NYC2012242.jpg

NYC2012243.jpg

Anyway, we went and saw the building they’ll be using as their new world trade center.

NYC2012244.jpg

NYC2012245.jpg

And, Mom took a picture they had on the side of what the memorial looks like.

NYC2012246.jpg

I also took a picture looking up at the building. I like its shape.

NYC2012247.jpg

We didn’t get to actually see it and I kinda wish I had decided to see it. Oh well. There’s always another time. Oh, and near the new building there was this guy with a bunch of posters lying out on the ground. He was a conspiracy theorist, claiming that the government had planted bombs in the towers. It’s an interesting theory, but I know the truth.

So then we walked up Canal Street, which is the southernmost part of SoHo. It felt to me like the straw market in the Bahamas. For those of you who haven’t been there, it’s pretty crazy. Everything is quite close together, all the things they’re selling are cheap knock-offs or homemade crafts and they all seem to be selling the exact same stuff. Mom bought NYC shirts for everybody in this one store there. We noticed that they didn’t charge us sales tax. Hmmmm.

Then we walked to a more civilized part of SoHo. We found a jewelry store similar to Claire’s or Icing. It seemed to be going out of business because everything in the store was half off. I found this really awesome elephant necklace and I bought it. I’m actually wearing it as I type this trip report. Then we left there and went in a few other stores. The prices there were pretty high, so we just kept moving. As we were walking around we saw this place that parked cars vertically as well as horizontally. And the phrase that they used cracked us up. It said on the building “Unparalled Parking”.

NYC2012248.jpg

They must have someone like Dad working for them. Very clever.

Soon after, we decided to get a taxi to Kleinfeld, since our feet were absolutely exhausted from walking and standing practically all day long. We got to Kleinfeld and they were doing some construction on the storefront.

NYC2012249.jpg

But, I was excited all the same.

NYC2012250.jpg

For those of you who live under a rock, Kleinfeld is a bridal gown store that is like the magical land of wedding dresses. If you want it, they most definitely have it, and it's the setting for the TLC network reality show, "Say Yes to the Dress". When we walked in we even saw Randy and cameramen filming for their show. I just thought that was soooo cool. We didn’t take any pictures inside because I doubt they would’ve been very happy with us. They don’t usually like people taking pictures of their gowns. I hope to go back there some day to buy my own dress so I have to start saving now.

After that we walked back to SoHo. I went in H&M which is one of my favorite places to shop. I found this one nice lace dress, but couldn’t find any in my size. So, we left and kept walking. Then Mom went into the Loft. She loves that store. Well, she found some flip flops that were buy one get one free. But she could only find one pair in her size that she liked. I somehow magically found her another pair in her size. So, she got them. I also saw this bright purple lace dress in there and I tried it on. It didn’t quite fit right and the color wasn’t that great on me. If it had been white or something and in a smaller size, I would’ve seriously considered it.

Up next: Chinatown dinner and NYC wrap-up
Link to next chapter

I'm going with the 1 obvious Judy. Could be one in the reflection in the Kleinfeld's window, but I couldn't make it out.

So 1.

And 1 elephant reference.

Lauren- Loved the pictures and descriptions from the ride on the subway. The artwork is interesting and surprising! And I loved that you had a show during the ride.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun shopping and window shopping!

I must live under a rock, because I didn't know what Kleinfeld was. But it has been a hundred million years since I have needed to shop for a wedding dress, so I hope I will be forgiven.

We have our guess of "1". Any future guesses will need to specify what picture number (or numbers :rolleyes:) in the post and describe where you see the "judy". Good luck, and may the odds be ever in your favor. (Sorry, saw the Hunger Games yesterday.) :laughing:

And 1 elephant reference.

:rotfl2: You were paying attention!

Lauren- Loved the pictures and descriptions from the ride on the subway. The artwork is interesting and surprising! And I loved that you had a show during the ride.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun shopping and window shopping!

Between the unexpected entertainment and the artwork, I think the subway ride was full of surprises.

I must live under a rock, because I didn't know what Kleinfeld was. But it has been a hundred million years since I have needed to shop for a wedding dress, so I hope I will be forgiven.

I edited the post to mention that the store is featured on the TV show "Say Yes to the Dress". That, and "Cake Boss" are two of her favorite shows.

Oh yeah, of course you're forgiven! :goodvibes

2 Judy's...........the obvious one and picture 5, shadow on the ground just to the right of Lauren...........see her holding the camera up taking the picture.

i will say 2 judys too but the obvious one and then the last picture you can see the bent arm taking the picture.

Yay for a day with Jamba Juice AND Kleinfelds! I love "Say Yes to the Dress" too!! I've been working on watching the old episodes on Netflix lately, Randy really is some sort of wedding dress guru - he's amazing!!

Yeah the shopping update! You can't go to New York and not go shopping.

Sounded like the subway ride was a real adventure, loved that they got some entertainment. I think they might enjoy the street entertainment in the French Quarter in New Orleans too.

I know what Kleinfield's! I would love to look around in there too.

I'm glad both Lauren and Judy found something to buy, it wouldn't be good to come home empty handed.

Subbing! Better late than never, right? I enjoyed your 2010 TR, so I'm sure I will enjoy this one, as well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter