• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

City mini vs. micro

Leleluvsdis

DIS Veteran
I have always said I wanted to do the city mini when we needed it, basically based on everyones reviews here... ( big breath in) until I saw the micro at target yesterday. DH and I are starting to look into adoption, and know once approved, it could be anytime that we get a phone call, so we have started looking at gear(we are hoping for newborn or less an 1 year). The micro doesn't look any smaller than the mini, but I haven't seen them side by side. For those of you that have either or both, what do you think makes one better than the other?

It will be used primarily for shopping and Disney, of course;)!!! We will get a joovy fixed wheel jogger for park, walking, and niece and nephews soccer games. We are looking at a britax chaperone or chicco infant seat or convertible, depending on the age.

Thank you to everyone for your help!! This is definitely unchartered territory for us, and unfortunately, my brother and his wife are no help. They have been out of the game for a while, since there kids are now 20 and 19, and DH's brother and his wife did a travel system, but never used the stroller for more than carrying the infant seat, and then used umbrella if anything.

I haven't played around with the new Micro, but I can tell you that the old has a minimal recline, and a soft back. It looks like the back is rigid now, but I couldn't find anything on the recline.

If you're thinking about the britax carseat, have you thought about britax's b-agile? It is very similar to the city mini. And no need to buy a carseat adapter like you would have to with the city mini.

I'm a bit of a stroller addict, so I have a few, lol. I have an old version micro, a britax blink, a Joovy zoom 365, and a carseat frame. I love my Joovy, btw.

I was also going to suggest the britax b-agile. Why do you prefer the mini? I'm really just curious, as I just agonized over this decision (for the double) and found the only differences to be positives in the britax's favor. Also, they make a strap for $8 on amazon that can make basically any carseat fit any stroller.

We have a Micro and I have been tempted to sell it. I'm not a fan of the straps and my 2 year old doesn't seem to enjoy being in it very much. We LOVE the fold and didn't need a full recline because she was a toddler. We have taken it to Disney twice and use it a ton at amusement parks over the summer. The price was right for us since I got it on sale so I feel like I have totally gotten my money's worth.
Mine is older though so I don't know what if any improvements they have made.

I was also going to suggest the britax b-agile. Why do you prefer the mini? I'm really just curious, as I just agonized over this decision (for the double) and found the only differences to be positives in the britax's favor. Also, they make a strap for $8 on amazon that can make basically any carseat fit any stroller.

To be completely honest, I feel extra lay superficially for the reason I prefer BJ. The main reason is because of the color choice (embarrassed & blushing). I have also heard once you get closer to the weight limit, the britax becomes difficult to maneuver. Don't know if its true. Anyone who has one or experienced one, feel free to chime in:)

We have a Micro and I have been tempted to sell it. I'm not a fan of the straps and my 2 year old doesn't seem to enjoy being in it very much. We LOVE the fold and didn't need a full recline because she was a toddler. We have taken it to Disney twice and use it a ton at amusement parks over the summer. The price was right for us since I got it on sale so I feel like I have totally gotten my money's worth.
Mine is older though so I don't know what if any improvements they have made.

I'm wondering about comfort also, especially with an infant. Amazon has the mini for 249, so it's not that big or a price difference between the 2.

Leleluvsdis said:
I'm wondering about comfort also, especially with an infant. Amazon has the mini for 249, so it's not that big or a price difference between the 2.

Unless the back is firm now, you wouldn't be able to use it with an infant without the carrier. Full or almost full recline is needed with atty bitty infants. When they start sitting up, then the strollers with slight reclines are okay.

What color were you wanting. I only saw the one at target in gray.

I've seen moms use a City Mini with a young infant (they put a u-shaped head pillow it) but I wouldn't recommend it. I don't have experience using a Mini with a bucket because I used a different stroller (Chicco) when my boys were that young. I have a Chicco bucket though and love it. It's extremely easy to install and to take out and put back in the base.

If you have more than one car that you use often I strongly recommend springing for the extra base.

What color mini do you like? I have the red b-agile double. I like the true red. It pushes like a dream, as did the single I tested in store, with my off the charts 2.5 yr old. I do understand about colors, though. I hate the orange/gray mini (although I typically like those colors). I don't think you'll have trouble pushing it with any size kiddo, though.

It has worked well for my 3mo. He went into it at around 6 weeks and has been fine. We didn't need one much before then, but if you can put your carrier in it, you'll be good. It has good recline, though, and good, easy to adjust straps.

We have a city mini (in the blue color that exclusive to a certain big baby store last year) and it was our only stroller until DS was 13 months. We looked at the Micro recently, but it just wasn't different enough from the mini. Our son came home from the hospital at 5lbs, and we used the carseat on the stroller until about 9lbs, but after that we put him in the actual stroller and it's been great ever since. A vote for the mini.

I have the old style mini, which I love for maneuverability, weight & folding ease. However, I do not love the basket, it is too small, IMO.

I haven't used either but my advice is to wait on buying the stroller and then try out baby first. I bought a travel system for my first -and he HATED the stroller. I didn't get him into it at all until our third day at Disney - at 3 years old! My next two kids also weren't stroller babies. (Though my middle child did love the security of the stroller at 3 at Disney). My third wouldn't even do the stroller at Disney! (But he better on our next trip at 3.5 years old since I don't want to carry him this time!)

Instead, my babies all love slings. I even had babies use it all day long at Disney. Even my youngest was in a sling at 2.5 years old at Disney - despite not using one at home for over a year at that point. There's a lot of choices of baby carriers out there. A ring sling, like a Maya Wrap, was my favorite, but the choices keep expanding and there's a lot of good ones out there now. Even if you do use a stroller for Disney, it's helpful to have a carrier and stroller. So, my advice is to look into carriers/slings. Research the strollers, but don't buy yet. And then try baby out to figure out which one will work best for your specific baby.

Another vote for Britax's B-Agile (hope you don't mind)...
A few reasons why I prefer Britax:
-a better folding system (push button on side, pull strap to collapse & it locks closed automatically vs mini where you pulls strap & then lock it & then to keep child safe you have to manually snap a strap on the side)
-no additional adaptor required if you buy a Britax car seat (also a great choice)
-easy to move & padded headrest
-multiple configurations of the area between handle & seat (mesh vent exposed with shield rolled up or removed completely or shield secured down)

Congratulations & best wishes on the adoption!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter