Citricos, Yachtsmen, or Flying Fish?

DerekV914

Earning My Ears
Hello all, I have one more dinner to plan, and my DGF and I have narrowed it down to these three restaurants. DGF is not a huge seafood fan, but I absolutely am. Looking for a place that has something great for her that isn't seafood. All the menus look great, but I would love some firsthand experiences from you guys. Thanks in advance!

Derek

Been to all three many times. I rank them in this order:

1. Citricos
2. Flying Fish
3. Yachtsman

That being said, they are all quite good and you can't really go wrong with any of them.

Been to all 3 several times. My rankings are:

Flying Fish
Citricos
Yachtsman

Yachtsman is a distant 3rd; the other 2 are much better. I've only ever eaten the fish or seafood at Flying Fish but I've read many great things on here about the steak entree they offer.

DH is not a fish guy (shellfish yes but not real fish) and we usually go to FF because it is awesome! He had ordered the NY Strip three times and each time he devours it and says it is to die for! I have had the laughing shrimp dish, scallops and red snapper and each one was fantastic!

Citricos is also a great choice although I have not had any seafood from there.

We have been to the Yachtsman twice and the last time in 07 it was terrible but we are giving it another try next week..hope it is yummy

What is laughing shrimp?? Saw it on the menu and was curious. Anyway, Flying Fish hands down between the three. Never been to Yachtsman, but the two times at FF were better than any of the four times at Citricos. The last time at Citricos in Nov was very disappointing, probably won't go back for a while. FF is great, the seafood is excellent, and the strip steak is one of the best cooked steaks I've ever had. (I've had better steaks elsewhere off site, but the combination of the grill itself and chef skill at FF is a big winner.) :thumbsup2

I have not been to Yachtsman but I LOVE Citricos and Flying Fish.

Either one would be a great choice, but your DGF will have fewer choice at FF if she isn't in to seafood. However, the non-seafood options there are fantastic. I've had their steak and a vegetarian entree before and both were just amazing.

I guess I might choose based on location and atmosphere since both are so good.

FF is kind of boisterous, busy, and exciting and located on the Boardwalk.

Citricos is more relaxed and subdued, located in the elegant GF.

Those three are my favorites, and I have not had a meal that was less than excellent at any of them. I'd say just look over the menus with your DGF and see if you can find a place that gives you both choices that look great...

...then find some way to go to all three. There is no bad choice here. Flying Fish is louder than Citricos which is about the same as Yachtsman, I've found, if that makes a difference to you.

been to all 3 several times. My rankings are:

Flying fish
citricos
yachtsman

yachtsman is a distant 3rd; the other 2 are much better. I've only ever eaten the fish or seafood at flying fish but i've read many great things on here about the steak entree they offer.

+1

Been to all 3 several times. My rankings are:

Flying Fish
Citricos
Yachtsman

Yachtsman is a distant 3rd; the other 2 are much better. I've only ever eaten the fish or seafood at Flying Fish but I've read many great things on here about the steak entree they offer.

This is the way I'd rank them also. Flying Fish is my favorite signature whereas Yachtsman would rank way down the list. The only ones I like better than Citricos are Flying Fish and Artist Point. At Flying Fish I always have trouble deciding between the scallops and steak. Both are wonderful and I much prefer FF's steak to any of the ones I've ever had at Yachtsman. In May we have ADRs for FF and I already know I'm getting the scallops and will then be sneaking bites of my husband's steak.:rotfl:

Does it have to be on the DDP? Or are you planning on paying for the meal OOP? If it doesn't have to be on the DDP, I say head over to Shula's at the Dolphin. The steaks are better than any other on property. A few $ more but well well worth it. If you plan on using the dining plan, I would go with FF. My girlfriend and I really enjoy it there, much better than YS. Citricos is good too, but since you mention YS and FF, I would stick with one of those and spend the night hanging out on the Boardwalk (Shula's is also a short walk away), particularly Jelly Rolls. We make it a point to head there at least once a trip, it's a lot of fun if you like to have a few drinks and listen to some tunes.

I'm going to have to buck the trend here on the DIS and recommend Yachtsman Steakhouse. DH and I went to all three of these restaurants for the first time during our anniversary trip last November. Based on our first impressions, I would rank them:

1. Yachtsman Steakhouse (Very Good Experience :thumbsup2)

2. Flying Fish (Pretty Good Experience :))

3. Citricos (Disappointing Experience :guilty:)

That being said, I would probably go with Flying Fish if you don't both want steak. Although DH's seafood dish at FF wasn't anything special, I've heard many great things here about their seafood. And their New York Strip, while not as good as the steaks we had at YSH, was pretty good.

I'm currently doing a WWD Signature Smackdown as part of my Dining Reviews from our Nov. trip. All three of these restaurants are part of the competition. Here is a link in case your are interested: (the Signature Smackdown begins at Post# 175)

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2600277&page=12

Did Citricos last week, loved the food. Did not like the waiter we had. The food was one of the best experiences we have had at the resorts.

Never done the Yachtsmen, but I will try it next trip.

We have never been to Flying Fish, mainly because I don't like fish and they don't have enough shellfish offerings on the menu to entice me. DH and I love Yachtsman - it's a must do for all of our trips. Food and service have always been top notch. The decor isn't anything to write home about, but I'll take outstanding food and service over ambiance any day. Citricos was disappointing. The restaurant is beautiful, but we didn't care for our waiter (we felt like he was putting on a show) and our food was just OK. There wasn't anything wrong with it, but it just didn't measure up to Jiko, Cali Grill, or Yachtsman for us. We'll try it again someday, but there are so many other places to eat!

Flying Fish, Citricos, Yachtsman. You can find something for both of you at either of these places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter