Cirque show & bored teens

zippy99

DIS Veteran
DH and I have been desparate to see the cirque show in DTD so wanted to book for this year. The thing is DS 12 and DD 14 are not interested at all. On our trip last year we sat outside House of Blues with our friends and we let the children go into Quest for an hour whilst we enjoyed a drink.

DH and I were considering letting DS & DD do this whilst we watch the early show. Now, our children are both the sensible type and commute indepently to school on a daily basis by train etc.. And we are confident of their abilities to say together - I know every child is different and as a parent I know my kids best - but I just wondered if other parents with older children let them explore/enjoy Disney independently.

Thanks

Disney Quest allows children over the age of 12 to go in by themselves so that is an indication that they believe children of that age do not necessarily need adult supervision. Having said that, personally, I wouldn't at that age.

I am quite (over) protective of my kids, though, whereas others I know are far more lenient about things like leaving them home alone, letting them go into town, etc.

Would you have any way of them contacting you in an emergency? Will they have a mobile phone? If so, like you say, you know your kids best so if you think they will be OK (and it's not like you're miles away and couldn't get to them quickly) it probably would be. I definitely wouldn't do it if I/they didn't have a mobile phone.

When Matt was about 14 he met up with an American friend about the same age and his Sister, we met them in MK and they went off together for the evening, we stayed in the Park and arranged a meeting time, we had phones for contact.
Every child is different, you know your own, Matt has always been very mature and at age 14 almost 6' tall.

I haven't been in DisneyQuest before so don't know what it's like, but assuming there are plenty of staff around to make sure trouble doesn't happen it should be fine. I'd want to go in there myself first but if I was personally satisfied I'd probably let my kids do that at that age.
When they were 13 and 11 they took a little speedboat from OKW and disappeared off up the waterway. I told them to be back within 30 minutes. No sign of them after 35... then the patrol boat came along and I asked if they had seen them... they went off to look. 5 minutes later they came along - their engine had stalled and they were drifting. Was a bit anxious for a few minutes though...

This year they'll be 15 and 13, and we're discussing what they will be allowed to do - we'll certainly let them free in a park, but whether we'll just give them their KTTW keys and let them go off where they want on the transportation system is another matter...

Thanks for feedback so far we have been to Disney quest several times so know the layout and what is there. As you say igk not sure we would let them loose with cards and off into the world of Disney alone - but letting them spend a couple of hours in quest seems ok for us and I really value the feedback given so far.

DH and I have been desparate to see the cirque show in DTD so wanted to book for this year. The thing is DS 12 and DD 14 are not interested at all.
This is an interesting thing, I used to be a gymnast, so was very keen on going to see the Cirque show, but my other half, who think gymnastics is not a sport, was really not that keen on going at all. Anyway, I dragged him along and he really enjoyed it and was glad he went. Obviously, I don't know what your kids are like, but they might enjoy it, even if they say they don't.

Re: Disney Quest, we had some time to kill last time we went, and had never been in before, but loved it in there and spent an entire afternoon, just playing on all the machines.

I guess you need to know in yourself if you can trust your kids not to wander off and stay in or around Disney Quest (maybe go to the cinema) or just take them along to the Cirque show.

Owoooo there's an ideas- forgot about the cinema - may see what's on when there -after all a£6 cinema ticket is much less than £60 at cirque!

As you say nobody knows a child better than their parent. I would tell them your seat too just in case of an emergency and you are only a stones throw away.

Is the bowling alley already opened in DTD ? (or will it be when you're there ?)

ETA : opens fall 2012 ... close but no cigar ...

We left our two in DQ on their own for a couple of hours, they'd have been about 13 & 15, I insisted they stayed together & knew not to leave & to ask Disney employee for help if any probs etc. As previous posters have stated - you know your kids; mine loved it:goodvibes

I remember at 13 getting horribly lost in DQ and freaking out! However that was before mobile phones :)

Personally I think kids of that age would be fine, as long as they stay in touch and know not to leave the building until you pick them up!

Hi
This is kind of our issue this year older ones will be 13 and 15, not sure how much freedom to give them at home there always out With friend shops cinema etc travel to school by themselves and it is a familiar environment as we travel often, they even babysit for the odd hour when little ones are in bed.......decisions eh!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter