• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cinderella's Hairstyle?

mimif1

Mouseketeer
OK I know this is kindof weird, but my DD6 wants her hair done "just like Cinderella's" when we go to CRT. For the life of me, I just can't figure out how her hair is done! :confused3 I suggested a bun and she said that would be fine if I can't figure it out. I really just can't see it from the back in others pictures. For some reason everyone takes her picture from the front and not the back! :rolleyes:

Is it a French twist? Why does it stick up on top? Any ideas? Am I the only one who can't figure this out? Help!

Sorry I can't help.....because I am in the same predicament!
My DD4 keeps telling me to put her hair "in a bunch" like Cinderella's.
I still haven't quite figured out what that is :confused3

Its a chignon. high on the head. Twist the hair up, tuck the ends under, secure with bobby pins.

Oh, and remember, Cinderella is animated, and the character in the parks has a wig (or at least a professional stylist). You won't make it look like that.

Actually, it's not a chignon, it's a variation on a French Twist, and you need rats and a band to do it. (I did it once for a theatrical production of Cinderella; we couldn't afford a wig.) The "twist" is horizontal on the head instead of vertical, and the hair in the back goes straight up and rolls forward.
Unless the hair is at least 2' long, the style will require a LOT of spray to hold.

The headband helps to hold the style in place; it needs to go all the way around the head, the hair starts out underneath and folds over it. The band is wider at the crown and narrow on the bottom. I found the style easiest to do using a long, thin barrette underneath the roll. You also need two rats, I'd think about 4" would do for a child, maybe 6". (Rats are made out of lost hair you clean out of a brush. Take an old sheer stocking and cut it to about twice the length you want, then make a knot about 1/3 down. Stuff it with hair to the desired length, then knot again. The long ends are folded in to help hold the hair down at the back of the rat.)

Put the headband on over the hair, like a circlet. The side hair should be pulled over the band to the middle and crossed so the ends hang on the opposite side; I held that hair down with a long thin barrette. Pin one rat across the back of the neck just above the band; this one is for pouf at the back of the head. Then roll the ends of the remaining hair around the second rat, pulling the hair straight up as you go. You want to pin the resulting roll right at the back of the crown of the head. You'll need to carefully arrange the "ends" of the roll so that the rat doesn't show, then spray the heck out of it. Using another piece of old stocking to smooth the back avoids squashing the 'do; spray the hair, then hold the ends of the stocking and slide the fabric gently along the hair between your hands.

Now do all that with an antsy 4 or 5 year old :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :laughing: :laughing:

But thanks for the very detailed directions. I just might print them out for future reference for when I'm having one of those I'm a bad mother moments and need to punish myself. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Wow NotUrsula! Thanks for the great detailed instructions! :worship: I'm not really sure how well I'll do, but at least I have some idea now how to start. The trick will be practicing that on someone doing this :Pinkbounc !

For my dd3, I just put her hair into a very high ponytail on the top of her head. I twirled her pony until it circled on itself around the ponytail holder. Then I took a big fluffy hair scrunchy I found at the dollar store that has white organza type ribbons on it that have tiny flowers along the edges. I wrapped this around the bun to hold it in place. I took small tiara that had a comb on it and shoved that in front. I had a few hair jewels that I added too. The end result was an easy up-do that was pretty and kind of "princess-y" Not quite Cinderella's do, but good enough for my 3 year old! I have tried to back comb the top of her hair to make it full enough to get a puffier look, but her hair is just too fine yet. Maybe for our next trip her hair will be longer and fuller to try the real deal!

I have to do "ballet" buns for my DD6 all the time, and after you practice a few times, they can be pretty easy to do. Of course, my daughter has long straight hair. If your DD has lots of layers or hair shorter than the top of the shoulders, it will be much more difficult to keep it up and neat. Like a previous poster - for a bun pull all of the hair up into a pony tail at the desired place on the head. (I"ve had to do them on the very top of my DDs head as well as starting at the nape of the neck) Then twist the hair while wrapping it around the base of the ponytail. You can add bobby pins as you go, or after you've made the "bun." Then you can secure with a large scrunchie, or similar. It hide pins and keeps it from falling out so easily. Also, you can buy hair color hair nets at a beauty supply store. Fold them in half and place over the bun before adding the pins. Keeps those short hairs from poking out. ;)

Also, roller-type things that you can roll your DDs hair onto. These can be used to roll "up" from the bottom, or vertically. I think Wal-Mart has them - I used to see them on infomercials on TV. Can't remember the name of them.

Good luck - we have the wigs from several of the princesses, Cinderella included. My daughter always wants her hair like Jasmine. princess:

My dd 4 requests a Cinderella style often. All we do is pull her hair in a high ponytail, tuck the ends in and then place a headband in her hair. It is the headband/ponytail combo that makes the style for her. Good luck!!

Couldnt get a picture on here for you. I 'copied' this from dd's cinderella barbie doll (probably not the same but to give the same look). She had shorter than shoulder length hair and was for her third birthday so she didn't want to be still. I put it in three ponytails across the top )but almost the back) of her head. A bigger head might need 4 pony tails. Then I curled the heck out of them until you couldnt see that their were separate pony's much less the holders or anything. created a puffy curl like on the doll.

DSSectionPage.process

This hair do isn't too hard to pull off.

First gather Cinderella's hair on the crown of her head. Leaving about an inch tick of a section around the nape of her neck this will later be used to give it the smooth look. Put the hair you gathered in a pony but not pulling the hair all the way through on the last loop through. Pull just until the ends of the hairs are sticking out. Now with the loop pin it down on the top of the head from underneath, remember little ones are active so put more than enough. Once down with that comb the hair from the nail of the neck nice and straight as you pull it on top of her head. Wrap the heir over the loop on top of her head and pin it under the loop or you can pin it down where the headband will go. The last few touches would you curling her bangs under and adding the headband. If your using hairspray make sure you put it on thick so it will stay. I'd say the best finishing touch you could do is to act as if your the fairy godmother changing her into her princess out fit as you dust her with glitter!

Bibbity-Bobbity-Boo!

It is a french twist. Here is a link to a youtube viedo that explains everything!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K2dWgHU5wY

There are a few diffrenences between the real french twist and the cartoon/ disneyworld/disneyland
Here is a picture of Cinderella cartoon
Disney_Cinderella_Letter.jpg
[/IMG]

The changes i would make would be to not tuck the extra hair in but more up in a poof like the picture. if you get what i mean and to add bangs if your DS's hair is cut right.
I hope this helps! I'll tryto find more specific instructions. Hopefully a more accurate video!

It is a french twist. Here is a link to a youtube viedo that explains everything!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K2dWgHU5wY

There are a few diffrenences between the real french twist and the cartoon/ disneyworld/disneyland
The changes i would make would be to not tuck the extra hair in but more up in a poof like the picture. if you get what i mean and to add bangs if your DS's hair is cut right.
I hope this helps! I'll tryto find more specific instructions. Hopefully a more accurate video!

Your youtube link doesn't work :confused3

Ya'll realize that the little princess in question is now 12 yo, right?

(Another really old thread mysteriously resurfaces.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter