Ciao Mickey, This is NOT Disney. The real Europe visited...8/16 - Day 9.11 & 9.12

It looks like though your time was limited you got to explore some neat parts of the city. It's interesting that even though there is so much history, they also have modern art along the highways as well. I just love seeing the pictures. It makes me want to go back again.

Yes we are driving. it might be just a quick visit. Not sure yet. Still working out the plans. Probably see red wines being Vinny loves them. I would only have a glass, maybe.

Some of my favorites (for tasting), especially red wines, are Beaulieu, Cakebread, and Grgich on the main Highway Trail, and Stag's Leap, and Silverado on the Silverado Trail. Most places give 3 samples of a 1 oz pour, some charge and some don't, some you get a souvenir glass and some you don't. If you like sweet wines, there is a great winery off the Silverado Trail, but I can't remember their name right now, they make a great late harvest Cabernet, it's a total Mom and Pop place and really fun to visit.

DLR I think both. We will have 2 nights there so will need for breakfast, lunch and dinner for 2 nights.

Since you don't eat as large of portions, I would not suggest doing any buffets or sit down breakfasts. There are lots of CS places that offer full on breakfasts, and also great places with takeaway foods like croissants, bagels and donuts. That might be a good bet for your breakfasts as it can be quick and on the go.

Actually we ate Breakfast at LaBrea Bakery a couple years ago for their sit down breakfast and it was really good!

As far as lunches in Disneyland, I love the Plaza Inn Fried (Broasted) Chicken, its a lot of food and the two of us normally get that and a Cobb Salad which is more than enough for lunch. Another favorite for us is the French Market, their Chicken is also good as is their Meatloaf. Everyone else that I've dined with has enjoyed the other favorites and recommended them. Café Orleans is a great place for a Monte Cristo sandwich if you like those. Split one with Vinny if you go there, no one should eat a whole one of those sandwiches!

Lunches in DCA? I like the Garden Grill. They have a Mediterranean menu with your choice of Beef, Chicken, Kefta, or Tofu skewer, and you can choose your sauce from Tzatziki, Chimichurri, and two others, but no one I've been with has ordered them. You also get rice and a pita. There's also the Corn Dog Palace, you have a choice of hot dog or cheese dog. These are awesome!

Dinners? My favorite is Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland Hotel. The chef there used to be at Club 33 and in my opinion they made a mistake by taking him out of that restaurant, but now more people can enjoy his cooking. If you go on Thurs, Fri or Sat, you can request "Chef's Table" in your reservation and he will cook you a meal that is out of this world, but not on the menu. You WILL be stuffed.

There's always Napa Rose and that's nice, a little healthier than the Steakhouse but still good. Carthay Circle is good, but not spectacular. Also for a great whimsical dinner you can go to Trader Sam's at the DL hotel. Just have apps for dinner, but be sure to sit inside, that's where all the fun stuff happens. Another favorite for lunch or dinner for me is the lamburger at the Uva Bar in DTD. And then on my last trip we ate at Tortilla Jo's which was really good!

In my opinion, one needs to stay at Disneyland 4-5 nights, not because you can't see all the attractions, but you can't eat at all the great restaurants. I haven't even covered Brennan's and their Bread Pudding Souffle, or the Bengal Barbeque, Tiggr Tails, or the Chicken Chile Verde from the Cozy Cones. I still have yet to eat at Flo's!

I would love to come out and hang out with you for a while, we can go on some rides and have a drink together maybe. Let's make sure I can come out on your first day!

Gorgeous drive, the pic with the stairs and other statues..hard to tell if it was art of just extra stuff dumped off. Didn't look bad though ;)
it was very pretty scenery. I think it was an art sculpture of some kind.

Beautiful scenery on your bus ride, Scott. I love the greenery in the bushes and the trees are stunning.
:)

It looks like though your time was limited you got to explore some neat parts of the city. It's interesting that even though there is so much history, they also have modern art along the highways as well. I just love seeing the pictures. It makes me want to go back again.
We tried to make the best of the time in all areas.

Some of my favorites (for tasting), especially red wines, are Beaulieu, Cakebread, and Grgich on the main Highway Trail, and Stag's Leap, and Silverado on the Silverado Trail. Most places give 3 samples of a 1 oz pour, some charge and some don't, some you get a souvenir glass and some you don't. If you like sweet wines, there is a great winery off the Silverado Trail, but I can't remember their name right now, they make a great late harvest Cabernet, it's a total Mom and Pop place and really fun to visit.
Thanks. I will look it up. The plans keep changing. Right now we are cutting LA out all together but still are thinking of the other places.

Since you don't eat as large of portions, I would not suggest doing any buffets or sit down breakfasts. There are lots of CS places that offer full on breakfasts, and also great places with takeaway foods like croissants, bagels and donuts. That might be a good bet for your breakfasts as it can be quick and on the go.
Buffets are definitely out. Sit downs are good to, I just don't finish the meal. LOL.

Actually we ate Breakfast at LaBrea Bakery a couple years ago for their sit down breakfast and it was really good!
:thumbsup2

As far as lunches in Disneyland, I love the Plaza Inn Fried (Broasted) Chicken, its a lot of food and the two of us normally get that and a Cobb Salad which is more than enough for lunch. Another favorite for us is the French Market, their Chicken is also good as is their Meatloaf. Everyone else that I've dined with has enjoyed the other favorites and recommended them. Café Orleans is a great place for a Monte Cristo sandwich if you like those. Split one with Vinny if you go there, no one should eat a whole one of those sandwiches!
Splitting will be done for sure in some places.

Lunches in DCA? I like the Garden Grill. They have a Mediterranean menu with your choice of Beef, Chicken, Kefta, or Tofu skewer, and you can choose your sauce from Tzatziki, Chimichurri, and two others, but no one I've been with has ordered them. You also get rice and a pita. There's also the Corn Dog Palace, you have a choice of hot dog or cheese dog. These are awesome!
The corn dog place sound like a winner.

Dinners? My favorite is Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland Hotel. The chef there used to be at Club 33 and in my opinion they made a mistake by taking him out of that restaurant, but now more people can enjoy his cooking. If you go on Thurs, Fri or Sat, you can request "Chef's Table" in your reservation and he will cook you a meal that is out of this world, but not on the menu. You WILL be stuffed.
Hey if I can get a sample of Club 33 by eating his food there I will go. LOL. I will keep that on the list.

There's always Napa Rose and that's nice, a little healthier than the Steakhouse but still good. Carthay Circle is good, but not spectacular. Also for a great whimsical dinner you can go to Trader Sam's at the DL hotel. Just have apps for dinner, but be sure to sit inside, that's where all the fun stuff happens. Another favorite for lunch or dinner for me is the lamburger at the Uva Bar in DTD. And then on my last trip we ate at Tortilla Jo's which was really good!
Healthy doesn't matter. I can find something to eat. I plan around Renee and Vinny really being they will be the big eaters. I have heard about Uva and put that on the list.

In my opinion, one needs to stay at Disneyland 4-5 nights, not because you can't see all the attractions, but you can't eat at all the great restaurants. I haven't even covered Brennan's and their Bread Pudding Souffle, or the Bengal Barbeque, Tiggr Tails, or the Chicken Chile Verde from the Cozy Cones. I still have yet to eat at Flo's!
We have 2 nights then we fly to WDW.

I would love to come out and hang out with you for a while, we can go on some rides and have a drink together maybe. Let's make sure I can come out on your first day!
Sounds great to me and drinking is my favorite thing. :)

Ah. I did see your previous update but it seems I forgot to comment.

Lovely green scenery.
What a shame you didn't note down the B&B. Maybe you can find it using google or something.
Looking forward to the next update!

That is some interesting scenery...som just gorgeous and beautiful and some just odd. :rotfl2:

Ah. I did see your previous update but it seems I forgot to comment.

Lovely green scenery.
What a shame you didn't note down the B&B. Maybe you can find it using google or something.
Looking forward to the next update!
LOL. I do that too.
I probably can find it that way.
That is some interesting scenery...som just gorgeous and beautiful and some just odd. :rotfl2:
I do like finding odd things. LOL

Day 6.10

When I last left you we had arrived in Pisa and were walking towards the Leaning Tower. Let’s go.
15745239382_a48ab924fb_c.jpg

15123758194_053332a383_c.jpg

15558875010_20b3985f74_c.jpg

15123757494_335326b04a_c.jpg

15558268708_d593ab28b8_c.jpg

Then we saw the tower.
15745231232_ccd88428fb_c.jpg

Our guide told us where to go and see if tickets were available and what time and where to meet. This is the building in front of the tower.
15558264898_2fd89bd655_c.jpg

We started walking. Then we passed here and I took a pic.
15719983306_6ff8cc8168_c.jpg

This is the building where you buy tickets and it also has a gift shop.
15719982806_67165fab6b_c.jpg

It turned out I was the only one interested in climbing and I was not going to skip it so I got a ticket. Then we looked around the shop and someone said the time and I realized my time was coming up to climb within a minute. LOL. Off I went. Lets enter.
15745225922_454dc3b5e5_c.jpg

Looking up when I got in.
15124290423_b4fd418195_c.jpg

Some information on the tower. I will say it hardly leans but we were told that happened after they refurbished it a few years ago.
15557812449_5998250186_c.jpg

15123744104_3c1a73037a_c.jpg

Going up the stairs.
15745222772_876f109caf_c.jpg

As you go up they have windows you can look out but they also have cracks. LOL.
15558522877_f005c5bdf0_c.jpg

Here is one of the “windows”.
15557808749_050fbb7921_c.jpg

Still climbing up.
15557808089_e5a3925565_c.jpg

15743683845_9715171e62_c.jpg

This was not the best looking city from here or the bus.
15558858650_1d278aa111_c.jpg

15741767291_d50f08fa2e_c.jpg

Back up the stairs.
15558854710_884c80e9f0_c.jpg

I will say the view was pretty from the top.
15745210802_80f134c84d_c.jpg

The columns around the top.
15557798229_da0ee05fe7_c.jpg

Con't in next post...

Oops I wasn’t at the top yet. There was a final small spiral staircase to climb.
15123729064_699fb34cd5_c.jpg

Now I really am. The view looked the same. LOL.
15557794109_372b44cb84_c.jpg

15557793319_8623ab796c_c.jpg

At the top were bells. Here is a link to the story of the tower. TOWER STORY.
15558240538_ddfa25b036_c.jpg

Here is another bell. I will spare you the other 5. LOL.
15743664015_cc07dc415e_c.jpg

it really isn’t that high up.
15557785519_3abf438e81_c.jpg

Ticket and gift shop building.
15124261613_6b361eb0d9_c.jpg

A closer look at a bell.
15123715824_3ab14bf930_c.jpg

There was a girl there solo and asked me to take her photo and then she did the same for me.
15558230618_1d3b366a08_c.jpg

Back to the better looking scenery. LOL.
15743657245_89d029f848_c.jpg

One of the statues that are around the tower.
15124255113_d77da0ce3a_c.jpg

I like the way this pic looks.
15558828290_e3c528f6e8_c.jpg

The spiral staircase to go back down.
15743650365_d6803e72d3_c.jpg

Some work being done.
15124248243_9aaa4a1c19_c.jpg

Then it was time to head down.
15745177402_7d3544fde0_c.jpg

I video taped the walk down mos tof the way. I reached someone who was taking her time so I turned off the camera from that point on. My heavy feet are VERY loud.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/126058014@N04/k16fj5

I am so happy I can say I did it but also happy to say I don’t have to go back. LOL. Good to do once but that was enough.
I found everyone and then went to use the facilities and then when I got back we just waited around because it was almost time to meet up with the guide. We sat here.
15558205988_e1c86be223_c.jpg

This was right in front of.
15557753519_539cce292d_c.jpg

15558449917_bef923d59a_c.jpg

It was not time to meet the guide and she said she had a surprise for us.

Up next,

Our surprise and dinner that night.

What an amazing vacation you took. Beautiful pictures and descriptions. I feel like u am there

I am so glad you went in. It's just one of those things that if you are there you should really do it! Beautiful pictures as always

Loving your pictures of Pisa, and so cool you got to walk up in the leaning tower.

Now that I'm finally finally getting email notifications again, I can say that I am officially caught up. The view from your lunch at the winery was absolutely beautiful! And, I gotta tell you that I'm laughing every time you post about having to use the facilities. My entire family kids me about having to go so much so I feel your "I gotta go" pain. LOL! I would have been freaking out over the stairs up the Pisa tower. I don't see how you could have done it!

So glad that you got to walk up the leaning tower. Looks like you enjoyed the view.
I am so happy I did and I did really enjoy it.

What an amazing vacation you took. Beautiful pictures and descriptions. I feel like u am there
Thank you.

I am so glad you went in. It's just one of those things that if you are there you should really do it! Beautiful pictures as always
I could not go there and not go up, I would be regretting it.
Thank you.

Loving your pictures of Pisa, and so cool you got to walk up in the leaning tower.
Thank you.

Now that I'm finally finally getting email notifications again, I can say that I am officially caught up. The view from your lunch at the winery was absolutely beautiful! And, I gotta tell you that I'm laughing every time you post about having to use the facilities. My entire family kids me about having to go so much so I feel your "I gotta go" pain. LOL! I would have been freaking out over the stairs up the Pisa tower. I don't see how you could have done it!
Thank you.
Only since the surgery have I needed to go so much. LOL.
They were very wide and spaced out nicely except the top spiral part but that was very short.

Great pics of the Leaning tower. Apparently I was there when I was little, we have pics of me in a stroller in front of it, LOL My Dad was in the Army and was stationed in Germany for a couple years (from when I was about 9 months old until I was 3) and we did a lot of sight-seeing vacations around Europe during that time. I would love to go back to see it someday.

Ok I am caught up. Have had a lot on my plate lately as you know.

The pictures are awesome. I love all the details from the church. And even with my fear of heights I would climb up the tower.
Looking at the pics of the statues for the 2 wars had me even more impressed to think that so much of the architecture survived them.

One day I will get there.

How cool to walk up the leaning tower!
it was great and am so glad I did it.

Great pics of the Leaning tower. Apparently I was there when I was little, we have pics of me in a stroller in front of it, LOL My Dad was in the Army and was stationed in Germany for a couple years (from when I was about 9 months old until I was 3) and we did a lot of sight-seeing vacations around Europe during that time. I would love to go back to see it someday.
Thanks.
Do you remember? :rotfl2:
I hope you do as it was great to see.

Ok I am caught up. Have had a lot on my plate lately as you know.

The pictures are awesome. I love all the details from the church. And even with my fear of heights I would climb up the tower.
Looking at the pics of the statues for the 2 wars had me even more impressed to think that so much of the architecture survived them.

One day I will get there.
Good to hear and I just caught up on yours. I do know.
it really wasn't high up.

The views are so beautiful of Pisa.

Day 6.11

After climbing the tower it was time to start heading back to Florence. Along the way the guide said she had a surprise for us. This was the surprise.
15124422003_ffe81d3163_c.jpg

Here is a little more of it. We drove around in this and it was great. We sat in the first car and saw Pisa this way.
15123873304_7fccf2e5a1_c.jpg

15745352422_699d3d876b_c.jpg

I like empty roads.
15557935989_6c4b9dcd51_c.jpg

I thought the trees were interesting.
15743811605_3b517754d5_c.jpg

15558381228_b2c15385e8_c.jpg

Then we came to this.
15720094506_70a877784a_c.jpg

15124403093_ce304520fc_c.jpg

15558634567_912be0e94a_c.jpg

15743799895_3584f00423_c.jpg

15123850434_ec498fb97b_c.jpg

15123848094_8dc30248eb_c.jpg

15720082046_dc5070f852_c.jpg

15720077446_7477925358_c.jpg

15741872691_f9cdf19d9d_c.jpg

Here is the train we were driven around in. It was a nice surprise. it was like the one we saw on our way to St. Moritz.
15558617127_f73425c334_c.jpg

Then we were back in Florence. Dinner was definitely in order. We went to the place next door to our hotel again because it had been a long day. I had the lasagna.
15741867221_f08039576e_c.jpg

When we were done we left and walked the 4 stores down but along the way we saw this.
15720069606_a6734853e0_c.jpg

I think someone was caught doing something they should not have and was kicked out. LOL. I thought it was hysterical it was all out there.

Then our night was over. I did go buy water or iced tea at a store on the block and then it was off to bed.

Up next,

A tour with a very big surprise.

That's a cute way to get back to Florence! I would have liked to have sat in a carriage as well.
Great pictures of the architecture.
Lasagna looks delicious.
I wonder how long it took that someone to remove their belongings?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter