Chunkymonkey & Chubbyhubby's Year of Disney PTR! NEW 12/27 THE END and New TR Link!

Oh yay! that's awesome! Yes! The more the merrier!

Sounds awesome! My DD is up for anything, which is awesome to. She is giving me crap for having "internet friends" because she goes to NDK and other animee conventions and meets new people all the time and I always tell her to be careful. When I told her I had DISboard friends she thought it was hilarious.

Cool! What time were we planning on meeting? I dont' mind also doing DTD - I didn't get to go on my last trip! so I'll probably go before we meet up that night.

We were planning on going to Disney Springs that day also. I would imagine we'd get to the resort ( we are going to be at POR that night) around 5 ish and will be hungry so we had planned on heading there for dinner, but we're going without a "plan". Trader Sam's is awesome but on the small side and I think we'd have to sit outside since Devin is only 18...

I'd be happy with whatever is easy for everyone else. I'm sure there are lots of DS places to meet up also. The world of Coke rooftop bar looks interesting, there's also Raglan Road and the Boathouse bar and Jock Lindsay's....so many choices!

Yay! fun!

I'm excited!

PTR Update as of 12/30

February 22-28th 2017 Princess 5k Trip

OK I just made FP+ and I already tinkered a few days. It's been a while since I looked at the Feb crowd calendar and realized that our first Epcot and MK days should be switched so that the crowds will be a little better (we'd avoid the EMH crowds). So our new plans are (changes in red):

Feb 22nd: Fly after work from NJ to Orlando, arrive past midnight so spending the night at the Hyatt Regency Orlando Airport using a free night certificate.

Feb 23rd: Take ME to the Contemporary in the morning, drop stuff off, and head to the Run Disney Expo, maybe around 10:30am. I haven't figured out the timing of this yet. I don't know how long this will take but I don't think I will be making any purchases or walking around too much so I hope to grab our registration packages and leave. We will head to MK next! I think we'll just grab quick service somewhere for lunch, maybe Columbia Harbor House or Friar's Nook.
I made these FP+ but not sure we will make the first one, depending on if we spend more time at the Expo. I will shift it around if I need to.
12:50 PM - 1:50 PM Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
2:00 PM - 3:00 PM Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
3:10 PM - 4:10 PM Meet Mickey Mouse at Town Square Theater

5:25pm: Dinner at 1900 Park Fare.

Feb 24th: PRINCESS 5K!
I assume our day will start super early, like 4am early :crazy2:
6am Run Disney PRINCESS 5K!!
No idea how long it will take the finish the course while taking all the character pictures. How often are there characters? Every .5 mile or is it kinda random?
We will head back to the Contemporary after to clean up and get some rest before heading to:
10:35am Brunch at Kona Cafe. It's been a while since I've dined here too so gonna get my Tonga Toast fix. Then we'll head to Epcot!
11:45 AM - 12:45 PM Spaceship Earth
1:00 PM - 2:00 PM Meet Disney Pals at the Epcot Character Spot
2:40 PM - 3:40 PM Frozen Ever After

I think by this time in the day we may be really tired and just want to chill back in the room. Also DisMeets with @LindseyJo22 @Elevationist and @cinderkelly at Trader Sams (or elsewhere!)

Feb 25th: DHS
8:30am Breakfast at The Wave with DIS friends!
We'll take a bus over to DHS after!
9:30 AM - 10:30 AM Star Tours – The Adventures Continue
10:30 AM - 10:45 AM Voyage of The Little Mermaid
11:50 AM - 12:50 PM Toy Story Mania!
Right after we do TSM we'll have to check in for our...7-Hour Star Wars Guided Tour which starts at 1pm! Yup I booked this tour on the last day that it's being officially scheduled. After Feb 25th they say it's no longer on the schedule but my feeling is if it's successful it will continue on. I had initially called to book this 2 weeks ago but they said they were fully booked for the 25th with nothing scheduled beyond that (tour is only offered Sat and Mon). So instead I just booked the Star Wars Galactic Dessert Party. Then I called this past Tuesday and they had availability. So I canceled the dessert party and booked the tour because the tour includes the dessert party anyways! There is also a quick service meal included as well at Backlot Express, probably those Star Wars themed quick service meals. Totally going to get the Dark Side Chicken n Waffles this time! When we booked I was asked if we were light side or dark side, and I said that I was Dark Side and DH was light side. I assume this is for the commemorative gift at the end, maybe a pin or something like that. :) Looking forward to this tour!
Since the SW Fireworks are on at 7pm, I think we can still make it over to Epcot for Illuminations at 9pm. :)

Feb 26th: Epcot and RoL?
Back to Epcot today!
9:30 AM - 10:30 AM Meet Disney Pals at the Epcot Character Spot
10:55 AM - 11:55 AM Spaceship Earth
1:25 PM - 2:25 PM Test Track
4:10pm Dinner 'Ohana - Finally we go back to my favorite restaurant! I chose an early time because I thought or am hoping that Rivers of Light will be happening during this trip and this would be a good day to catch it at night.

Feb 27th: My birthday!
8:05am: We have a PPO breakfast at Be Our Guest
9:10 AM - 10:10 AM Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
10:35 AM - 11:35 AM Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
1:35 PM - 2:35 PM Peter Pan's Flight
2:30pm: Tiana's Riverboat Party - Ice Cream Social & FoF Parade Viewing Party - I added this after seeing reviews and thought it would be fun!
Later that evening we'll head back to the Contemporary to change before heading to my birthday dinner at
6:50pm: Dinner at California Grill
Wishes is supposed to be at around 8pm today. Our first time watching Wishes from California Grill! Actually our first dinner here!

Feb 28th: AK
We'll have to check out and then head to AK.
9:05 AM - 10:05 AM Kilimanjaro Safaris
9:50am - Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker House
11:20 AM - 12:20 PM Meet Favorite Disney Pals at Adventurers Outpost
12:25 PM - 1:25 PM DINOSAUR
Then unfortunately it'll be time to leave as we have a 4:30pm flight back to NJ

August 5-16 2017 Family Trip (extended dates)

Sooo...I have changed this up a but. In fact I have extended this trip by 3 days. This is entirely due to the fact that the labor day discounts have been released and we have to at least stay the night of Aug 15th to have the discount applied. The discount is only available up to 5 days prior to the 15th so they can only provide us with discounted rooms from the 10th onward. Unfortunately not everyone can make those dates due to school etc. I'm still at the point where I'm trying to convince everyone else on the trip that it's a good idea. LOL. It is a huge discount over what we were originally paying per night so with the extra savings, I think we've decided we're going to spend a few nights at Universal Studios at the beginning of the trip, and then perhaps 2 nights at a value or mod resort before moving to the Poly for 6 nights. It's a lot of moving around but hey, there are many who do this so I figured it won't be too bad, plus we're paying less per night and staying more nights! Anyways, how does one move from resort to resort at WDW without having to lug your bags around? Will Disney offer to move the bags for you or do you think I should just get a taxi/uber?

Last edited:
PTR Update as of 12/30

February 22-28th 2017 Princess 5k Trip

OK I just made FP+ and I already tinkered a few days. It's been a while since I looked at the Feb crowd calendar and realized that our first Epcot and MK days should be switched so that the crowds will be a little better (we'd avoid the EMH crowds). So our new plans are (changes in red):

Feb 22nd: Fly after work from NJ to Orlando, arrive past midnight so spending the night at the Hyatt Regency Orlando Airport using a free night certificate.

Feb 23rd: Take ME to the Contemporary in the morning, drop stuff off, and head to the Run Disney Expo, maybe around 10:30am. I haven't figured out the timing of this yet. I don't know how long this will take but I don't think I will be making any purchases or walking around too much so I hope to grab our registration packages and leave. We will head to MK next! I think we'll just grab quick service somewhere for lunch, maybe Columbia Harbor House or Friar's Nook.
I made these FP+ but not sure we will make the first one, depending on if we spend more time at the Expo. I will shift it around if I need to.
12:50 PM - 1:50 PM Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
2:00 PM - 3:00 PM Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
3:10 PM - 4:10 PM Meet Mickey Mouse at Town Square Theater

5:25pm: Dinner at 1900 Park Fare.

Feb 24th: PRINCESS 5K!
I assume our day will start super early, like 4am early :crazy2:
6am Run Disney PRINCESS 5K!!
No idea how long it will take the finish the course while taking all the character pictures. How often are there characters? Every .5 mile or is it kinda random?
We will head back to the Contemporary after to clean up and get some rest before heading to:
10:35am Brunch at Kona Cafe. It's been a while since I've dined here too so gonna get my Tonga Toast fix. Then we'll head to Epcot!
11:45 AM - 12:45 PM Spaceship Earth
1:00 PM - 2:00 PM Meet Disney Pals at the Epcot Character Spot
2:40 PM - 3:40 PM Frozen Ever After

I think by this time in the day we may be really tired and just want to chill back in the room. Also DisMeets with @LindseyJo22 @Elevationist and @cinderkelly at Trader Sams (or elsewhere!)

Feb 25th: DHS
8:30am Breakfast at The Wave with DIS friends!
We'll take a bus over to DHS after!
9:30 AM - 10:30 AM Star Tours – The Adventures Continue
10:30 AM - 10:45 AM Voyage of The Little Mermaid
11:50 AM - 12:50 PM Toy Story Mania!
Right after we do TSM we'll have to check in for our...7-Hour Star Wars Guided Tour which starts at 1pm! Yup I booked this tour on the last day that it's being officially scheduled. After Feb 25th they say it's no longer on the schedule but my feeling is if it's successful it will continue on. I had initially called to book this 2 weeks ago but they said they were fully booked for the 25th with nothing scheduled beyond that (tour is only offered Sat and Mon). So instead I just booked the Star Wars Galactic Dessert Party. Then I called this past Tuesday and they had availability. So I canceled the dessert party and booked the tour because the tour includes the dessert party anyways! There is also a quick service meal included as well at Backlot Express, probably those Star Wars themed quick service meals. Totally going to get the Dark Side Chicken n Waffles this time! When we booked I was asked if we were light side or dark side, and I said that I was Dark Side and DH was light side. I assume this is for the commemorative gift at the end, maybe a pin or something like that. :) Looking forward to this tour!
Since the SW Fireworks are on at 7pm, I think we can still make it over to Epcot for Illuminations at 9pm. :)

Feb 26th: Epcot and RoL?
Back to Epcot today!
9:30 AM - 10:30 AM Meet Disney Pals at the Epcot Character Spot
10:55 AM - 11:55 AM Spaceship Earth
1:25 PM - 2:25 PM Test Track
4:10pm Dinner 'Ohana - Finally we go back to my favorite restaurant! I chose an early time because I thought or am hoping that Rivers of Light will be happening during this trip and this would be a good day to catch it at night.

Feb 27th: My birthday!
8:05am: We have a PPO breakfast at Be Our Guest
9:10 AM - 10:10 AM Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
10:35 AM - 11:35 AM Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
1:35 PM - 2:35 PM Peter Pan's Flight
2:30pm: Tiana's Riverboat Party - Ice Cream Social & FoF Parade Viewing Party - I added this after seeing reviews and thought it would be fun!
Later that evening we'll head back to the Contemporary to change before heading to my birthday dinner at
6:50pm: Dinner at California Grill
Wishes is supposed to be at around 8pm today. Our first time watching Wishes from California Grill! Actually our first dinner here!

Feb 28th: AK
We'll have to check out and then head to AK.
9:05 AM - 10:05 AM Kilimanjaro Safaris
9:50am - Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker House
11:20 AM - 12:20 PM Meet Favorite Disney Pals at Adventurers Outpost
12:25 PM - 1:25 PM DINOSAUR
Then unfortunately it'll be time to leave as we have a 4:30pm flight back to NJ

August 5-16 2017 Family Trip (extended dates)

Sooo...I have changed this up a but. In fact I have extended this trip by 3 days. This is entirely due to the fact that the labor day discounts have been released and we have to at least stay the night of Aug 15th to have the discount applied. The discount is only available up to 5 days prior to the 15th so they can only provide us with discounted rooms from the 10th onward. Unfortunately not everyone can make those dates due to school etc. I'm still at the point where I'm trying to convince everyone else on the trip that it's a good idea. LOL. It is a huge discount over what we were originally paying per night so with the extra savings, I think we've decided we're going to spend a few nights at Universal Studios at the beginning of the trip, and then perhaps 2 nights at a value or mod resort before moving to the Poly for 5 nights. It's a lot of moving around but hey, there are many who do this so I figured it won't be too bad, plus we're paying less per night and staying more nights! Anyways, how does one move from resort to resort at WDW without having to lug your bags around? Will Disney offer to move the bags for you or do you think I should just get a taxi/uber?

We've moved around before and it's not so bad. If it's another Disney resort they move the bags for you. Although if you needed them right away it might be better to move them yourself but we usually send them and then go to a park for the day then go to the new hotel and grab them from the baggage. If you go from USO to Disney or vice versa we used Uber, and stored our luggage in the trunk. Uber was about half the price of a taxi. And of course if it's even cheaper a longer trip is a great idea!

Cool did you enjoy it?
::yes:: ending was sad though. :sad1:

It was portugese sausage.
Ah. :thumbsup2

I do like spam too. Probably not as much as I used to when I first went to Hawaii and was like, spam this, spam that! It was a novelty back then to see spam in entrees.
:rotfl2::rotfl:See my first experience with Spam is accidentally salting it when served Spam and eggs for the first time. (Note I was trying to salt the eggs the salt got on to the spam and I didn't realize. I was NOT trying to salt the spam.) I only ever made that mistake once! :rotfl::rotfl2:

Sadly it was now time to leave. We were supposed to meet up with @Dugette but unfortunately we just didn't have time. The ferry to the Dolphin was often so slow and we were the last stop from Epcot. Hopefully there will be a next time we can have our Dismeet with Dugette!!
Hope we cross paths sometime! We will actually miss each other by only a few days in February! And probably a few weeks in October. Someday...

Anyway, just got all caught up here. LOVE the Hawaii stuff! It really makes me want to go back ASAP, though. Somehow, Izzy has got it in her head that we take an annual trip to Hawaii - I mean, she's gone at 2 and at 3, so I guess that's logical - never mind that I've only gone those two times as well. But thanks for the recap of all the beauty and the food.

Anyways, how does one move from resort to resort at WDW without having to lug your bags around? Will Disney offer to move the bags for you or do you think I should just get a taxi/uber?

Looks like you found a discount that suits you! ;)

As for transferring bags. We changed resorts about 5 times last summer and it was easy peasy. Have bell services pick up your luggage and they will transfer it for you to another Disney resort. It should be there between 1 and 3. So convenient!

I'm HERE! Had to join in officially so that I don't miss any of your updates. I enjoy your trip reports so much! Love your plans for February - and I think the changes you made make a lot of sense.

I am thinking about a February trip for the first time in 2018, but to Disneyland. Our son mentioned a few days ago that Blue Bayou was his favorite Disney restaurant, so I thought a quick sneaky surprise trip over a four-day weekend he has in February 2018 would be a fun Christmas present for next Christmas. We are going on a short Disney cruise on the Dream in early April 2018, with a couple days at WDW tacked onto the end, so they won't be expecting it. Sneaky sneaky sneaky me. :)

I am especially looking forward to all your details on the 5K. The idea of participating in RunDisney races has always appealed to me. Too bad I hate running, but that seems beside the point when I think of the cute medals and now you say there are character photo ops as well? Maybe I need to re-think this. :) I have WALKED a couple of half-marathons at the Rock n Roll marathon events in Denver with friends, so that absolutely qualifies me, right?

All caught up! I like the changes. And as for August, you gotta do what you gotta do! I have so many contingency plans for a June, it's not funny! But honestly, it's the only way to keep up with all the curveballs Disney throws! I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Welcome Show change.....

Sounds awesome! My DD is up for anything, which is awesome to. She is giving me crap for having "internet friends" because she goes to NDK and other animee conventions and meets new people all the time and I always tell her to be careful. When I told her I had DISboard friends she thought it was hilarious.

Haha I guess you have to practice what you preach, right? Well I'm sure she'll think we're all crazy internet people! Well, crazy for Disney!

We were planning on going to Disney Springs that day also. I would imagine we'd get to the resort ( we are going to be at POR that night) around 5 ish and will be hungry so we had planned on heading there for dinner, but we're going without a "plan". Trader Sam's is awesome but on the small side and I think we'd have to sit outside since Devin is only 18...

I'd be happy with whatever is easy for everyone else. I'm sure there are lots of DS places to meet up also. The world of Coke rooftop bar looks interesting, there's also Raglan Road and the Boathouse bar and Jock Lindsay's....so many choices!

I'm down for anything! @Elevationist, @LindseyJo22 do you guys have a preference of where we go for drinks?

I'm excited!

Me too!

We've moved around before and it's not so bad. If it's another Disney resort they move the bags for you. Although if you needed them right away it might be better to move them yourself but we usually send them and then go to a park for the day then go to the new hotel and grab them from the baggage. If you go from USO to Disney or vice versa we used Uber, and stored our luggage in the trunk. Uber was about half the price of a taxi. And of course if it's even cheaper a longer trip is a great idea!

Thanks! That's good to know. We'll most likely end up doing Uber from USO to WDW

::yes:: ending was sad though. :sad1:

Yup. Very sad.

See my first experience with Spam is accidentally salting it when served Spam and eggs for the first time. (Note I was trying to salt the eggs the salt got on to the spam and I didn't realize. I was NOT trying to salt the spam.) I only ever made that mistake once! :rotfl::rotfl2:

Wow salt and SPAM, which is already a salt pit...must have been inedible! LOL.

Hope we cross paths sometime! We will actually miss each other by only a few days in February! And probably a few weeks in October. Someday...

Oh too bad. Still bummed we couldn't meet up. Hopefully there will be one trip which will align! :)

Anyway, just got all caught up here. LOVE the Hawaii stuff! It really makes me want to go back ASAP, though. Somehow, Izzy has got it in her head that we take an annual trip to Hawaii - I mean, she's gone at 2 and at 3, so I guess that's logical - never mind that I've only gone those two times as well. But thanks for the recap of all the beauty and the food.

Oh I know, I miss it so much! The warmth, the water, the food, the sun...everything! It's raining and cold here today which just makes it extra miserable to not be in Hawaii (or Disney, haha). Since we're doing all Disney trips this year, we're not going to Hawaii until probably 2018. Haha, Izzy is now going to expect Hawaii every year! That's funny! She's a very lucky girl!

Looks like you found a discount that suits you! ;)

Yup! Thanks for the heads up...it really is so much cheaper. Right now, one family can only make partial dates and I'm not sure they are still interested in the trip. I do hope they end up going though because it was to be a reunion trip of sorts for my families and it would be nice if everyone could make it, even for a few days.

As for transferring bags. We changed resorts about 5 times last summer and it was easy peasy. Have bell services pick up your luggage and they will transfer it for you to another Disney resort. It should be there between 1 and 3. So convenient!

Thank you!! Sounds like it won't be so bad to move around so much!

I'm HERE! Had to join in officially so that I don't miss any of your updates. I enjoy your trip reports so much! Love your plans for February - and I think the changes you made make a lot of sense.

Thank you!! Great to see you here too!

I am thinking about a February trip for the first time in 2018, but to Disneyland. Our son mentioned a few days ago that Blue Bayou was his favorite Disney restaurant, so I thought a quick sneaky surprise trip over a four-day weekend he has in February 2018 would be a fun Christmas present for next Christmas. We are going on a short Disney cruise on the Dream in early April 2018, with a couple days at WDW tacked onto the end, so they won't be expecting it. Sneaky sneaky sneaky me. :)

That sounds like a great idea, how fun! I'd love to be surprised with that! And nice! The Dream! sigh...:cloud9:

I am especially looking forward to all your details on the 5K. The idea of participating in RunDisney races has always appealed to me. Too bad I hate running, but that seems beside the point when I think of the cute medals and now you say there are character photo ops as well? Maybe I need to re-think this. :) I have WALKED a couple of half-marathons at the Rock n Roll marathon events in Denver with friends, so that absolutely qualifies me, right?

You've done more than I have! I've never been on any organized run/walk in my life. I actually shun them...some of my friends run and DH has been on a few 5ks, but I've always sat them out. I'm only doing this because it's kinda motivation to get in some exercise and because it's Disney! I think these are the only race events that have ever appealed to me. From what I understand there are character photo ops at each race! Just not sure how many there are on the 5k since it's a short race. I assume the half-marathon has plenty.

All caught up! I like the changes. And as for August, you gotta do what you gotta do! I have so many contingency plans for a June, it's not funny! But honestly, it's the only way to keep up with all the curveballs Disney throws! I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Welcome Show change.....

Thanks! Gonna catch up with your PTR now. I know what you mean! So many factors and things going on. But I wanted to save everyone some money so I had to move the dates. And that whole Pandora thing...don't even get me started! I hope it'll be open by August but you know how AK is not exactly on schedule for so many things *cough* Rivers of Light *cough* :rotfl:
At least my sisters don't remember the welcome show at the train station...Don't remember if we saw it on our sisters trip. So if they move the welcome show to the castle they will probably think this is normal even though I'll think it's weird. :confused3

I'm here and living vicariously through you until our August trip!

Cool! Will we overlap in August? We'll most likely be there from 10-16, with the possibility of extending it 2 day at the beginning of the trip (so from 8-16). So far, I'm the only one that wants to do this so we'll see!

Cool! Will we overlap in August? We'll most likely be there from 10-16, with the possibility of extending it 2 day at the beginning of the trip (so from 8-16). So far, I'm the only one that wants to do this so we'll see!
Unfortunately, no although we are also booked on a labor day deal. Our dates are Aug 19-27th.

Unfortunately, no although we are also booked on a labor day deal. Our dates are Aug 19-27th.

Oh too bad! But you guys are getting a great deal! I love that labor day deal so that's why I moved our dates so we could take advantage of it. It saves us so much money, although some of my family may have to cut short their trip because they can't make those dates. Oops.

I think we might have two chances to meet up this year. We are doing a DCL cruise from 8/5-12. We will be at Disney before hand, but I also think we will be staying on property the day we get off the boat, 8/12, and that Sunday. We will also be there for the Wine & Dine half marathon, sometime around 11/2-5.

Guess what I just realized! You know I missed you by like a couple days last trip....February trip I will be there 3 of the same days as you! Hope to bump into you! It would be my first dismeet after being on the boards for like 6 years or so! haha

I just want to say I love all of your trip reports! My friend and I will be in Epcot on Feb 24th also... I will have to keep an eye out for a disboard celebrity!

I think we might have two chances to meet up this year. We are doing a DCL cruise from 8/5-12. We will be at Disney before hand, but I also think we will be staying on property the day we get off the boat, 8/12, and that Sunday. We will also be there for the Wine & Dine half marathon, sometime around 11/2-5.

Oh that's awesome!! Let's plan for that! Yay!

Guess what I just realized! You know I missed you by like a couple days last trip....February trip I will be there 3 of the same days as you! Hope to bump into you! It would be my first dismeet after being on the boards for like 6 years or so! haha

Hi Heidi! Oooh yes that's awesome, let's do a Disnmeet! What days are you free?

I just want to say I love all of your trip reports! My friend and I will be in Epcot on Feb 24th also... I will have to keep an eye out for a disboard celebrity!

Thank you so much!! Wow Disboard celebrity...you are way too kind, but yes please say hi if you do see me! I love meeting friends from the Disboards!

PTR Update - a minor setback

So um, this happened this past week:

AYUAdfMI7oMY70lHOyJGGkUYfsAcQ_nGWjhaWk2R7m1KScalq6tiIFetpEZY7yi5s2jxko2uVote5mwFwUJLzcLsS4L4VtKosoXCWIIRD_IkZAPS43tKcfIwVSjkTV-0wx-NniKSMP_BUnfD07clcZomnfJAILuCY96GKObVdKMNYa_zVJD9BMUQhXcURW23-Xw_gUNETvbhK-PWXMQjEZqCti4h7i_p28GtVCa4vFsT4_BOD6fTufcxKT0FV9mrvhvuew4z4w1yZecXXIlEBF4Syi-2NFjjnH5tMplaQn54HPWBWJMSpOC2Qimz2QozPZg8rFhzKT8MQbYdQRhAY-FlrhIz0MsKmvzYhlJdQZaaLW6IMHh2wiqP6KIbtUiGVQclivNK52anmV3HPMi_Ti0Cyl8wP6cRDZ2KrIf6tDfi7mV6x9mu_JblCDvmilGb-AgtJDpgvF01g4-MYkOvFzG9R9vlTAoI0mJOtBCQa6btWuOsncljtU8NeDS3kLn4d_2J6ZGmbw9dPJb6luom5XEz5eh-vr_zo0QN96ACQ759qfUlWYCe45Nv5YQn-FmJH4Xxm6fu30CBPMHLspzZHxQxPEThMZS56EaK5A_mBX52Hc51_mapqg=w463-h617-no
POghbevbgCv8yUG2xTwZ19z0EpGkd_uZR2NIIJQQe1toc8Pv8te4QwYv68imGW-4PSfJMrg_1X61qkGEmFqXfnVAODrawNEp8xjL68vgKrbIYyEqFoXsedxuuLU7-98bYETPn8-CyXt-x9rAeh8HLsOeulaL_MEecpMbIOHH3gyEai3V0Ui_SWcYcJcWQpfyMJBuBj6ca9ri9zhSRJncj4TIw36FrboPwun0J4bAKuh_T5PMLoy6Jjsm3jpYAHI-9_1FNfonazeQ8fwjf6Q6hJLK4FGy47cTJS3bYu7sHZbOn0hAtFPpAVhI5w1w32rOq0JsWTdQEKGVWNa4TLzqZF9UvZnhjVwKoQH9L8Ka9_lsggd1VnUs6mx44oUBPdxXC9XjUW7qIFaoez8XuRzQLlUV9MAKkulOSoVaSMYYVv4hRX6VPrNEcLegdaiSvwqlskqVHVRoDPcx5iAO93BOEY7naJNOOMXEMF9mMQobUETJLh2WpWIFfHQoQmeT9s_21r6fLqWCQS7BoV_tU7M2E_FPrzc0OGEzcp6CS2S4xlEk9LCxSZhdgjX9GreZNglpuWD4pJFre533hExDXBy5n7-j47LYID_h3xq7X3CSmTd_nDvfToDZ1g=w463-h617-no

Last Tuesday I fell...I basically didn't notice a very shallow step when I was coming out of the exit from the gym into my office building (they are interconnected through a hallway) and I tripped over it and fell flat on my face. So embarrassing! Luckily (or unluckily if you see it that way) there was no one there to see me. When I pulled myself up I noticed my ankle was hurting but I just thought it was a sprained ankle. I did the whole R.I.C.E thing, rest, ice, compress, elevate, although I didn't really do the rest thing as much as I'd like to. I thought it would go away in a few days. Someone at work told me they had a sprained ankle and had it checked out and it was a stress fracture. I got a little scared so I made an appointment to see a orthopedist but they weren't available until Friday. So pretty much for 2.5 days I just went about my business, and in all honestly it wasn't that painful, it just felt like a sprain.

When I got to the doctor he did x-rays and felt the ankle and was able to pinpoint exactly where the pain parts are. After he viewed the x-rays he told me that yes, I did have a stress fracture. :eek:
Luckily it was small, and he was able to treat it early. If I had waited longer he said most likely the fracture would have gotten bigger and it would have been worse. It could have required surgery if left untreated!! Yikes. So just a PSA to all to get things checked out early because you think it's a small thing but you never know!

I was relieved I didn't need surgery at this point but he did put my ankle (and most of my foot) in a soft cast. The annoying part is that I have to shower with it and so I have to tape a plastic bag over it so it doesn't get wet. It takes me 3x as long to shower, lol. It also snowed this past weekend so walking around was pretty non existent. I didn't leave my house for 2 days which never happens...I'm always out and about. Thankfully it was the weekend and didn't really have to be anywhere.

So this puts a bit of a damper in my plans to run the 5k in Feb. The doctor said I have to wear the cast for at least a week, maybe 2. I go to the doctor again this Friday to check healing progress. If it looks good then I may not need to wear the cast for longer, thank goodness. I'm not sure when I will be able to start some light running but probably not for a few weeks, although when I told him the date of the 5k, he said I could probably walk it by then. Sigh. I was really trying to challenge myself to run some of it though. I was up to 2.5 miles doing a walk/jog thing and I had built up endurance over the past few months but now I feel like I'm back to square one. :sad:

That's it for now! I'll let you know how I do after I visit the doctor again at the end of this week. So far I'm just hobbling around trying to get by. I got a fancy walking cane though...it's blue and shiny. Overall I'm OK, I'm a little bummed, but still looking forward to the 5k even if I hobble and walk the whole thing. It could have been worse and I'm grateful that it's not.

In other news...we have changed our August dates again. One of the families cannot make it now and they were the ones who had strict date requirements. Since we are now kinda open to more dates in August, we decided to move the trip to August 12-19 which works out better for the rest of us. We are able to take advantage of the 2 weekends so we can take less days off work for the same time spent at Disney.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, Su-Lynn! I am so sorry this happened (yep, the gym will kill you... seems like every serious injury I've had has been the result of the treadmill, hiking, etc. Ugh!!) :) Horrible timing with the trip coming up, and the 5K, but I know you will make the very best of it. No shame in walking the 5K. You can still get a good workout if you walk briskly. I know you must be disappointed, but you'll still get the experience - and I want a full report! Hope you heal up very quickly!

That's awful! I've had some embarrassing falls too. I missed a step in my garage 2 years ago and sprained my ankle. I only had an air cast but it still took awhile to heal especially because I had a job that kept me on my feet a lot. Rest it as much as you can!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter