Christmas?

Tiny Disney Dancer

Mouseketeer
Okay, so how crazy is it Christmas Eve/Christmas Day?

If we get in on Christmas Eve, will we be able to get in at a park?

Of course, we want to ride as many rides as possible, but it is not the end of the world if we cannot ride everything. I am looking at 4 days in the parks, including arrival on Christmas Eve.

Is there a nighttime parade like at WDW?

Christmas Eve and Christmas are crowded. You can count of FP being gone and long lines if you arrive in the afternoon. But the days after are even worse. The week between Christmas and New Years frequently sees capacity closures on multiple days. As of last week there is a new night time parade and it is currently very popular with people staking out spots for hours. We don't know yet if it will run during Christmas, but with that being a popular week if it does it will probably be extremely popular. We also don't know yet if they will do Christmas fireworks or the new show that also started last week or which parts of the usual Christmas overlay will or won't happen. Disney hasn't given any information on Halloween or Christmas yet and won't for some time.

The nighttime parade for the rest of the year is going to be Paint the Night -- the new parade for the Diamond Celebration/60th anniversary of Disneyland. The daytime parade will probably be Soundsational.

The usual holiday fireworks are not happening this year. Disney said in their January press conference that by the time the holidays get here, it will still be "all 60th, all the time" and that the focus would still be on the new shows for the Diamond Celebration.

By most accounts, Christmas day crowds seem to vary based on weather. If it is scheduled to be a clear day with no rain or no chance of rain, it will probably be a bit less crowded in the morning and then the crowds will pick up by early afternoon. Some people say that Christmas Eve is really crowded. Some say it's not that bad. It's an extremely popular time of year to go to the parks, so there will be people there.

The time frame after Christmas, though -- starting on 12/26 -- is when the crowds realllllly pick up. The week between Christmas and New Year's is notorious for being one of the busiest -- if not the busiest -- weeks of the entire year, and Disneyland often reaches capacity and stops letting in guests on at least one or two days during that week.

Again, weather will play a role. If rain is in the forecast, that will cut down on some of the crowds. Otherwise, if it is supposed to be clear and sunny, you can expect very large crowds on 12/26 and 12/27.

I've only done Christmas Day once. Walked in, used the restroom, walked to fantasyland, bought a frozen banana, turned around and left. There were people everywhere! I've never seen it so crowded and I was just at the 60th 24 hour kick off party. We could hardly move. It took us almost a hour just to do what we did because of the crowds. I have also been in the days after Christmas and found it not as bad, but summer-like crowded. Just remember, any day in Disneyland is better than in real life!

If large, dense crowds are a problem in any way, then Christmas week won't be a great time to visit the parks. We go every year during that time, but we do the research and know how to maneuver through the chaos. It can be very fun for some and for others it can be a nightmare.

We did Christmas one year....I'm glad we did it, but would never do it again. It was single file in sections of the park. It was just dh and I....cannot even imagine what it would be like to try and move a stroller or child through the park. It was amazing though!

We will not have kids with us; it would just be four adults.

Unfortunately, work schedules do not allow us to go any other time for Christmas decor. Plus, as said above, I agree that any day at Disney is better than one not there!

If large, dense crowds are a problem in any way, then Christmas week won't be a great time to visit the parks. We go every year during that time, but we do the research and know how to maneuver through the chaos. It can be very fun for some and for others it can be a nightmare.
What are your recommendations for how to enjoy your day and make the most of the actual "Christmas in Disneyland/DCA" experience? We're goin for 5 days right at the start of Dec, and then heading back for The 24-26 Dec to finish off our trips and I haven't been able to find much info or trip reports specific to Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, & Boxing Day. Thanks :-)

What are your recommendations for how to enjoy your day and make the most of the actual "Christmas in Disneyland/DCA" experience? We're goin for 5 days right at the start of Dec, and then heading back for The 24-26 Dec to finish off our trips and I haven't been able to find much info or trip reports specific to Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, & Boxing Day. Thanks :-)

Look over the holiday superthread in this forum. Also, look for trip reports from DL during those dates. These can give you an idea of what to expect. We don't go to the parks expecting to ride rides. If we have meals planned for peak hours, we make sure to have reservations ahead of time. For us, booking tours during those dates can be a good way to get on the popular rides and to feel like we're doing something special in spite of all the crowds.

We went 12/20 to 12/27 this past Christmas. While it was crowded, we were able to get Fastpasses and get around pretty good. We went in expecting it to be busy. The problem I had, was there was really nothing special about Christmas Day. It was just like 12/20 or 12/26. So, when we got home, we sorta felt like we missed Christmas. I love the décor and will always prefer Holiday Time, but not the actual Christmas day itself.

Some people have special Christmas items (e.g. gifts, decorations, a small tree, etc.) delivered to their hotel room so they can celebrate Christmas Day and then go to the parks. DLR does offer special meals on the 25th, at the hotels and various other locations.

We do Christmas every year at Disneyland. Be aware, Dec 26 will be the busiest day of your 4 days. We usually use the 26th as a spa day, but we do go in the park briefly though. The Rose Bowl teams are introduced in the park that day, so EVERYONE in all of their family and all of the friends are there. Packed doesn't begin to describe it. We will be there Dec 19-Jan 3.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter