Christmas week crowds?????

Belle Belinda

Mouseketeer
:listen: Hello to all, We are going to Disney from Dec 24 to Dec 26 with the kids.... I honestly want to know how bad are the crowds on those two days??? I've heard that it is full capacity but how bad and full is it really? :confused3

Thanks in advance :wave:

I have yet to be at WDW for the actual day of Christmas. But all the experts say it is the very busiest, most crowded time of the year. Still, when I get the chance, I'm going to go.

Good luck! :teeth:

Cool-Beans said:
I have yet to be at WDW for the actual day of Christmas. But all the experts say it is the very busiest, most crowded time of the year. Still, when I get the chance, I'm going to go.

Good luck! :teeth:

Thanks for taking the time :love:

Okay, this year will be my twenty something time to go at Christmas. Yes the crowds are high, but if you listen to anything anyone tells you listen to this.

GET THERE EARLY! Tweny minutes before the park opens, to get maps, see show, and stroller if needed. Last year, we rode everything in Fantasy land in the first 20 minutes, then went off to the other aresa. We were done with the park by lunch. The rest of the time we just took in the entire Disney experiene and rode some more things here and there. Granted there were a ride here or there that we skipped.
It is so magical. Being in Disney , seeing Christmas decoration, and hearing Christmas music. What more can one ask for.

krissylynne - You hit the nail on the head. Get there early and have patience. It is truley a magical time of year to visit WDW, but it is very crowded. This will be our 3rd Christmas trip and can't wait to get there! Everything is decorated tastefully and will get you in the holiday spirit (the Disney way) quickly! We have learned to pace ourselves. Use EMH when you can. It saved us the aggrevation of caios during the day. Go and experince it all! Christmast time in WDW is a special time of year!

Warning, as others have stated you Must go early, :thumbsup2 or possibly not even be able to get in .The last 2 years after about 9:30 , one year and 10:00 the next it was closed except to guests at Disney resorts , specifically MK, I dont remember but maybe even all guests (my dd was cast member at a resort and maybe it was even to on property guests) just be forewarned and be prepared. Are you going for decorations or rides??? Age of kids is important too. Believe me , as a parent we know the dream in your mind , but to "make"the magic come true you really need to be realistic. Plan and set everything up ahead of time , or instead you will be stuck with mad dh, crying kids etc , and bring emergency back up snacks or something special to do in lines or waiting for parades or food. Just have a backup plan too, and dress warm!!!! We have heard of many sad stories, We have always had fun at Christmas, but between Xmas eve and Newyears we would rather be at Epcot, ITS just more traditional to us.

Have fun, make memories to last forever, and do not forget to pack Santa gifts!!!

Unbelievably crowded. In your wildest dreams crowded. We won't go to the MK again on Christmas Day. Just nuts. I don't care how "magical" it is. Not worth it. Some of the other parks were better, in relative terms. EPCOT is so much more open that the crowds didn't seem so bad, but the lines were horrible. Fast passes ran out early. On our last trip at Christmas, we went to the beach on Christmas day, and then relaxed at the resort and enjoyed the recreational activities. We had arrived 5 days before Christmas, so we had lots of time to enjoy the parks before the sea of people showed up.

I'm not saying that you won't have any fun, but be prepared to show up early and not leave MK because you might not get back in. Use FP as much as possible (they run out early).

Tour Guide Mike is a good investment to help with crowd/line management. He will tell you what park is best for each day of your trip. We found his advice very accurate.

We were there two years ago from Christmas Eve until New Year's Day. We thought the crowds got worse as the week progressed, but it was raining hard and very chilly on the 25th and 26th which surely impacted locals from coming.

The advice about getting there early is 100% true--we spent NYE at MK on that trip and rode almost everything in Fantasyland within the first hour. Later that afternoon the wait time for Peter Pan was 2 hours long!

I say push the kiddies commando-style for the first few hours both days and then when it gets more crowded, relax and enjoy the stuff that's "off the beaten path". No matter how crowded it gets, it could still be a blast to sit on a bench, munch popcorn, and people watch. At the very least, you'll still be in WDW!

We'll be there celebrating, too. DH and DS are heading down on the 19th and I'll be joining them very late on the 22nd. Two month countdown!!!!!!!

We've done it 4 times, this year will be our 5th. Yes, it is crowded beyond belief, but that said, it obviously doesn't stop us from going! Others already made the main point that I was going to make: get there early. If the park opens at 9, you don't want to be there at 9, you want to be there at 8:30. Also, have a plan. Don't just get into the park and kind of wonder around, know what you are going to accomplish. Use fastpass and plan to leave by noon. Most of all, just enjoy the Christmas spirit and decorations and have a good attitude and you will be fine.

We were there several years ago from the 26th thru the 30th. Actually, the 26th and 27th were not that bad. After that it seemed to get tremendously crowded - to the point of barely being able to walk let alone ride after about 11:00 AM. It was beautiful and the decorations were lovely - but with that said be prepared for "busy" and you'll do fine!

It was crowed! New Years was sold out by 11:00am. I went this past Christmas and NY. The park was beautiful. They ran out of wheelchairs and strollers. People would actually steal them from you! This year, I'm bringing my son's own wheelchair! The line ups were long and fast passes went quickly.

That being said, I do it again in a heartbeat! The atmosphere is beautiful. I'm going end of October first of November and I'm having regrets. Next Christmas I go back at Christmas!

Charleyann :Pinkbounc :woohoo: :wave:

We are going this year from the 23rd to Jan. 1st.

I went last year with just my DD-6. We arrived on Christmas Day and went to MK. We got to MK around 6:00pm and had dinner at Crystal Palace at 7:00pm. We had no issues getting in and we stayed until 3:00am.

We ate, walked around and enjoyed the decorations, watched the fireworks, and night time parade. Around 10:00ish it started to clear out. We were able to ride all three mountains, POTC, Buzz, Philharmagic, Small world, haunted mansion, plus a few others after 10:00 until 3:00am. The park was not at all busy from 1:00am-3:00am.
My DD is a night owl, we planned this, slept in that day and the next and we had a perfect unrushed day.

lomillerin said:
We are going this year from the 23rd to Jan. 1st.

I went last year with just my DD-6. We arrived on Christmas Day and went to MK. We got to MK around 6:00pm and had dinner at Crystal Palace at 7:00pm. We had no issues getting in and we stayed until 3:00am.

We ate, walked around and enjoyed the decorations, watched the fireworks, and night time parade. Around 10:00ish it started to clear out. We were able to ride all three mountains, POTC, Buzz, Philharmagic, Small world, haunted mansion, plus a few others after 10:00 until 3:00am. The park was not at all busy from 1:00am-3:00am.
My DD is a night owl, we planned this, slept in that day and the next and we had a perfect unrushed day.

I'm going to try that next Christmas! Thank you

Charleyann
:Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter