Christmas Week at DVC? Am I Crazy?

LMB123

Earning My Ears
I'm starting a new job as a teacher in the Fall and will only be able to travel during school holidays. Has anyone visited Disney during Xmas week? I'm considering Wilderness Lodge or Beach Club December 26 - 31 and am worried the parks will be insanely crowded for my children, ages 5 & 6.

Any advice??

If you want to go to Diosney during Christmas, you need to make your reservations now or should I say, get on the waiting list. You also need to make your dining reservations as soon as possible.

You will have a wonderful time at Disney during Christmas. You will need a jacket at night even if it is warm during the day.

I hate to put a damper on things but the parks ARE insanely crowded during Christmas week. They are open extra late to try to offset this, but with your kids being 5 and 6 I don't think that will help much, since I imagine they will be cranky if you keep them up past their bedtime.

My only suggestion if you decide to go is to get up early as possible and be there when the park you want to visit opens. You can see twice as much in half the time first thing in the morning. If you wait and get there around 11 or so everything will be packed, and your experience will likely be very frustrating.

Fast pass can help a little, but since you can't get a second one until the time stamped on the first one, you can't do everything you'd like. And sometimes the fastpass time you get is hours away, especially if you get there late. Lastly they only have a certain number of fast passes to distribute per day, and then you can't get one at all.

You might just want to go to one of the parks for a few hours in the morning and spend much of the rest of the trip enjoying your resort.

Originally posted by idratherbeinwdw
I hate to put a damper on things but the parks ARE insanely crowded during Christmas week. They are open extra late to try to offset this, but with your kids being 5 and 6 I don't think that will help much, since I imagine they will be cranky if you keep them up past their bedtime.

My only suggestion if you decide to go is to get up early as possible and be there when the park you want to visit opens. You can see twice as much in half the time first thing in the morning. If you wait and get there around 11 or so everything will be packed, and your experience will likely be very frustrating.

Fast pass can help a little, but since you can't get a second one until the time stamped on the first one, you can't do everything you'd like. And sometimes the fastpass time you get is hours away, especially if you get there late. Lastly they only have a certain number of fast passes to distribute per day, and then you can't get one at all.

You might just want to go to one of the parks for a few hours in the morning and spend much of the rest of the trip enjoying your resort.
We used the early/late park hours a lot when our kids were younger and the parks were open extended hours. We would take ~4 hour mid day naps.... and be in the parks 8-11am, the 7-closing (sometimes 1am depending on the park). We virtually never would wait in a line, regardless how busy the park was.

/Jim

With two school-age kids, we have always been limited to school holidays for trips to WDW. As a result, we now have a family tradition for going to WDW during the Christmas break. For us, there has never been an issue with the large crowds. The beauty of DVC is that we can spend enough time there that we don't have to feel rushed. If you go into it with that approach, even the largest of cowds is no big deal. Take your time and enjoy the many things that are only there at Christmas - Osborne lights, candlelight processional, resort decorations, special shows, etc.

And remember the peace that the phrase "I know I will be back because I'm in DVC" brings to many of us.

We have been there for christmas week for the past 2 years and are returning this year! Yes, there are crowds, but if you go expecting to not see everything then it works fine. The decorations and shows are wonderful. The parks are open late all week and its best to take advantage of that. Stop and smell the poinsettias! Even NYE at MGM, Epcot have been so much fun(MK on NYE day has closed by 10am to all guests---ZOO!). Take advantage of EE and late nights! Swim(last year it was great weather everyday, play mini-golf, see Osbourne lights, CP, Santas around the world, Mickeys Twas night before christmas..I could go on and on! Just do it. But if you have not made DVC reservations, you may not be able to get VWL or BCV for that week. I changed my OKW reservations for that week to BCV at 7 months (6/1/04), so you may still get in. If you want OKW..you may get my reservation!
Connears

This year will be the third year for us at WDW during xmas time. School schedules and attendance policies keep us to those dates....although the parks are definitely crowded, we really enjoy our time.
Last year we stayed at VB and just drove up for a day at the parks....talk about a change of pace!!
Yes, the crowds are large, but we still do get to go on our favorite rides, etc. Just takes a little strategy.
One thing we found helpful - never go to the early opening park. Go to one of the other ones. You will find them not very crowded until about 11 a.m. Hopefully you'll be ready for an early lunch/break by then.
See you there!!

Originally posted by Ksp

Yes, the crowds are large, but we still do get to go on our favorite rides, etc. Just takes a little strategy.
One thing we found helpful - never go to the early opening park. Go to one of the other ones. You will find them not very crowded until about 11 a.m. Hopefully you'll be ready for an early lunch/break by then.
See you there!!

I respectfully disagree regarding not going to the early entry park. IF you can get there when the park opens you can get a lot done on an early entry day in the first 2-3 hours. But agreed, it gets PACKED, so by11 or so exit that park and go to a park that isn't early entry, or back to the resort (or whatever you like LOL).

I also agree with you in a way ksp, because if you CAN'T be there until 2-3 hours after opening then it's certainly best to avoid early entry parks.

What I have found works for us now (used to do the early entry thing all the time when I went less frequently) is to go to the park that had early entry the PREVIOUS day.

And I certainly agree with the other posters who said that one of the nicest things about being a DVC member is knowing you don't have to do everything. You'll be back "home" soon.

Originally posted by idratherbeinwdw
What I have found works for us now (used to do the early entry thing all the time when I went less frequently) is to go to the park that had early entry the PREVIOUS day.

Interesting tip, I'll have to keep that in mind. TFS....

We plan to do a Xmas trip in 2006 and we want to go mainly because of the decorations. I know the parks will be crowded and we intend to plan accordingly. We've been during busy times in the summer and had a great time. GL...

Thanks for the advice! It sounds like Christmas week is worth a shot! This is our third year as DVC members and I usually take our time enjoying the parks. We don't feel we have to get on every ride each day. Some of our favorite parts of the vacation is hanging out at Wilderness Lodge, visiting the campgrounds, and dinner at The California Grill!

I called about priority seating arrangements today and was told to call 90 days in advance for dinner and princess breakfast arrangements. Always a highlight!

I also read about the Candlelight Processional and it sounds wonderful. Seems like we can make special dinner reservations before the candlelight processional begins for better seating.

I'll definitely plan on getting up early on park days -- by the way - what time does the park open on early entry days??

LMB

LMB123,
Last year, it was as early as 7:00am :earseek:
(On Dec 31st, we wandered over to Test Track just before 8am and there was already a 60 minute standby line! )

On the 30th of Dec, we were over at the MK for the Steam train tour and they had the opening ceremony at 7:30am. (I don't think that was the early entry day for MK--we don't ordinarily see the opening ceremony as we don't normally get up that early :) )
-DC :earsboy:

OK - Christmas Week sounds good! I'll learn to get up early! If rooms are available at Beach Club or Wilderness Lodge...which would you choose? We are members at Wilderness Lodge and had a great time there two years ago! I've never been to the Beach Club and it is close to Epcot - one of my favorite parks! What do you think?

LMB

Originally posted by LMB123
OK - Christmas Week sounds good! I'll learn to get up early! If rooms are available at Beach Club or Wilderness Lodge...which would you choose? We are members at Wilderness Lodge and had a great time there two years ago! I've never been to the Beach Club and it is close to Epcot - one of my favorite parks! What do you think?

LMB

We have been there the last two years as well during this period. Last year we stayed at the VWL for Christmas week and the BCV for New Year's week. This year we are going for Thanksgiving instead.

Both are excellent choices. Considering how crowded it is, it is nice to be able to walk into EPCOT and MGM. Not having to depend on transportation is a big plus. But there is something about the VWL at Christmas time and the boat to the MK is easy to use.

I heard a week ago that there were 1BR's left at both locations. SSR and OKW had studios, 1 and 2 BR's available.

HBC

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter