Christmas Shopping 2010

I wish I could join the fun but after reading just a few pages of this thread I feel totally stressed out! SOme people spend so much! I totally get to each their own but $650 for one kid yikes! :scared1:

Everyone's budget is different and I don't think it was nice being attacked by the amount I spend on my children. In fact I was really happy that I got such good deals and wanted to share. My dd is the hardest to buy for. She has never played with toys, so why would I go out and buy a whole bunch of cheap toys that I would end up throwing away anyways. So yes I did spend 650.00 on my dd but the stuff she is getting is the stuff she wanted and I felt she deserved. I wasn't trying to make anyone feel bad about their budgets.

Anyone else want to slam me for spending money on my kids go ahead I guess. I wont be returning to this thread.

WOW! Ladies...we really need to be careful here...one thing that makes internet so volatile is that it's black and white..with no tone indicated...small remarks can become very hurtful-as this one did. I am the OP for this thread--and as such I want to say, this is not the intention with which this thread was started...this is actually the 3rd year I have started it. I did this to share the excitement of the upcoming Holiday and swap gift ideas. I understand that we are all coming from different budgets and different ideas of what we are comfortable with spending on family. That being said, I hate that someone came to our thread to join in a friendly discussion and share her Christmas finds and feel that she was attacked and leave upset. We all have a budget, be it small or large, and can't judge anyone else by our own financial position. Thanks for being understanding and lets just make sure that whatever we post-be it here or on any Disney thread- isnt written in a way to come across the screen hurtful or misunderstood! Thanks!:flower3:

Wow I feel so behind everyone here. I don't have anything yet this year and I'm close to panicking as I am normally an early shopper. I have a DD13,
DD11, and DS10. This year we are doing something different and taking the kids to Great Wolf Lodge for two nights over Christmas Eve and Christmas so that's thier large present along with $30 gift cards for build a wolf or Magi quest and a roll of quarters in thier stockings for the arcade. Then they are getting a few things from thier lists. I think I have it mostly figured out
DD13:Snuggie, Black fur lined moccasins, Nice art kit, High school hoodie

DD11:Snuggie, Harry Potter Lego game for DS, Harry Potter Lego set, fushigi

DS10:Snuggie, Large Lego set, The newest Diary of a Wimpy Kid book, hotwheels

Plus they always get pj's, play doh and coloring /activity books (even my oldest still loves that stuff) and of course stocking stuffers which this year will probably include several packs of silly bandz and silly ringz for all of them.

Here's my (professional? :D) opinion.

110% the right choice. No.Question.

You can always buy Sports Resort later. Here's everything that bundle actually comes with :

Includes Red Wii Console, Red Wii Remote Plus, Red Nunchuk, Wii Sports and New Super Mario Bros. Wii game pack. New Super Mario Bros. Wii – A classic Mario adventure that everyone can enjoy. This Sidescrolling Platformer for 1-4 players has a game rating of “E” w/Comic Mischief. Language is English, Spanish and French.

So, you are getting the new controller (the "plus" part), a nunchuck.. So you have all you need for player #1.

You also get the new super mario brothers (GREAT game).

And, you DO get Wii Sports. It's not Wii Sports Resort (the new one), but, it is the "classic" one that everyone always plays. Ever see the endless amounts of people playing bowling? It's in there!

And... you get that "cool" version of the console that you can ooh and ahh and brag to all your friends you have.

110% the right choice.

And, to be perfectly honest, getting caught up in the wind of everything I thought this was a Japan only release.

Holy do we have a tracker to make! Thank you for YOUR help :)

Hope my advice above helps.

And unless you are in those small amount of states that have tax on Amazon, I would highly recommend getting it from Amazon. No tax (for most) and free shipping options. It comes right to your door, no hassles, no fuss, no muss.

So you really think my best bet is to pre-order this now? I know you cannot predict the future but any thoughts on whether it will get cheaper closer to Christmas? I have no need to have a particular color so that does not weigh in on my decision nor do I care that much about it being limited edition. Although like I said we were planning 100% to get Mario Bros. game so I think the retail price of that is near $50 so getting it with the Wii makes this deal seem a bit better to me. I just heard rumors of really good bundles and price drops this season so I am scared to pre-order this and then miss out on a better deal.

My second question is...family is going to want to buy us Wii games for Christmas...We have dd7 and dd12...any suggestions for good family games? Like I said we are def. going to purchase mario bros. and probably Just Dance 2 but I was hoping for a couple more suggestions! TIA:goodvibes

So you really think my best bet is to pre-order this now? I know you cannot predict the future but any thoughts on whether it will get cheaper closer to Christmas? I have no need to have a particular color so that does not weigh in on my decision nor do I care that much about it being limited edition. Although like I said we were planning 100% to get Mario Bros. game so I think the retail price of that is near $50 so getting it with the Wii makes this deal seem a bit better to me. I just heard rumors of really good bundles and price drops this season so I am scared to pre-order this and then miss out on a better deal.

My second question is...family is going to want to buy us Wii games for Christmas...We have dd7 and dd12...any suggestions for good family games? Like I said we are def. going to purchase mario bros. and probably Just Dance 2 but I was hoping for a couple more suggestions! TIA:goodvibes

I doubt this particular bundle will get any cheaper. Matter of fact, I see quite a bit of them getting scooped up by families, collectors and resellers alike.

It's a very iconic piece of Nintendo history and is going to be a pretty big seller.

THAT said, if you don't care about the red color or the limited edition of it all... Then, yes, there probably will be some better bundle packages as the days progress forward. This console is really for the super mario nut. I wouldn't jump on it just for the inclusion of Mario Brothers without doing a little hunting first. (but you may come back to it in the end).

On our blog we tossed up the TRU big toy book that has been circulating a bit. I can't say I remember off hand, but maybe taking a peek at that would be helpful?

Walmart usually does bundle deals as well with gift cards. That's their big one. Amazon has also been price matching all of the traditional store's big sales so anticipate Amazon having specials too.

ALL consoles sell very well during Christmas ... However, I don't think Wii will be insanely difficult to get, so, don't pull the trigger quite yet if you want to bundle your best deal possible.

Also, have you considered or would you consider going secondary market (read : USED) for mario brothers and other games? If so, you could get them at 20-50% off the MSRP for sure. Mario for wii has been out a while and a lot of people are selling them at large discounts used.

You could still get the Wii itself new assuming you prefer that, but, maybe get the games used?

Also, a gamefly account may not be a bad choice too.. Think netflix but for games.

And just dance 1/2 is a great choice along with mario brothers for wii. Another excellent game is Mario Kart. Again, you should be able to find that relatively cheaper than MSRP, but, expect the wheels to sell out and be difficult to find yet again this year.

The new Kirby game is great too.

Hi everyone I hope you don't mind if I join in! I just came across this thread last night and I have finally read through all 49 pages!:eek: I am way behind most of you on my Christmas shopping this year. I usually have almost all my shopping done by now with just a few little things here and there to get. We were set back a little due to hospital bills from my surgery but we are now ready and able to start our shopping. We have DD(6)but she will be 7 on Dec.2nd, DD(10) and DD(11) to buy for, 2 nephews(1)&(2) and 1 niece(5), and my aunts daughter(8).
My oldest DD(11) is the hardest to buy for but I think I am going to get her a GC to book store (she loves to read & buy new books) and besides that I have no idea!
DD(6 almost 7) wants her first AG doll, Elizabeth which I just got her. And she wants clothes and accessories to go with her AG doll. WM has a new line of doll accessories that work with the AG dolls so I am going to get her the bed, bathtub, salon chair and some of the accessory packs.I am also thinking about getting her a few packs of the zoobles.
DD(10) wants a digital camera, new AG doll, doll clothes and accessories, a camcorder but she really has not given me a final list. So I am not really sure what to get her but I have gotten her a digital camera with a little printer and the camera does record videos.

Does anyone know of any good places online to find doll furniture, clothes and accessories that work with the AG dolls? I live in a small town so mot of my shopping has to be done online.
And also does anyone have any suggestions for my DD(11) she is into reading, computer and games like the Wii and Playstation (which we already have)?

Hi everyone I hope you don't mind if I join in! I just came across this thread last night and I have finally read through all 49 pages!:eek: I am way behind most of you on my Christmas shopping this year. I usually have almost all my shopping done by now with just a few little things here and there to get. We were set back a little due to hospital bills from my surgery but we are now ready and able to start our shopping. We have DD(6)but she will be 7 on Dec.2nd, DD(10) and DD(11) to buy for, 2 nephews(1)&(2) and 1 niece(5), and my aunts daughter(8).
My oldest DD(11) is the hardest to buy for but I think I am going to get her a GC to book store (she loves to read & buy new books) and besides that I have no idea!
DD(6 almost 7) wants her first AG doll, Elizabeth which I just got her. And she wants clothes and accessories to go with her AG doll. WM has a new line of doll accessories that work with the AG dolls so I am going to get her the bed, bathtub, salon chair and some of the accessory packs.I am also thinking about getting her a few packs of the zoobles.
DD(10) wants a digital camera, new AG doll, doll clothes and accessories, a camcorder but she really has not given me a final list. So I am not really sure what to get her but I have gotten her a digital camera with a little printer and the camera does record videos.

Does anyone know of any good places online to find doll furniture, clothes and accessories that work with the AG dolls? I live in a small town so mot of my shopping has to be done online.
And also does anyone have any suggestions for my DD(11) she is into reading, computer and games like the Wii and Playstation (which we already have)?

Do you think DD11 is too young for the Sims? That's mine and my sister's (12) favorite computer game. It's a lot of fun and takes strategy.

For AG Emily Rose seems pretty good http://www.dollsclothes-emilyrose.com/18-Inch-Doll-Furniture-s/254.htm. Kind of expensive though...I'll keep looking :)

I got my girls some of the Target "Our Generation" doll clothes, furniture, and accessories - they fit perfectly. I also was looking for a bed, and since my 2 girls are each getting a doll for x-mas, I found a good deal on a doll bunkbed at Walmart online. It was somewhere in the neighborhood of $35 shipped.

As for your DD11 - how about a Kindle or Nook? If she loves reading that much, it might be a good investment. I personally never buy books retail, so it won't work for me despite the fact that I LOVE to read also. My cousin who is turning 15 right after x-mas is getting one, and it will be a huge money saver - she loves to buy books, as soon as they are released, usually hardcover.

Good luck!

\For AG Emily Rose seems pretty good http://www.dollsclothes-emilyrose.com/18-Inch-Doll-Furniture-s/254.htm. Kind of expensive though...I'll keep looking :)

I ordered from them last year. I was a bit nervous as I had never heard of them but I did purchase a doll cabinet from them. It wasn't cheap but far less expensive then going directly to AG company. The reviews on the AG website for their storage cabinets weren't great yet they were so expensive. The one I got from Emily Rose is a really nice piece of furniture. I'm very glad I purchased it from them.

I got my girls some of the Target "Our Generation" doll clothes, furniture, and accessories - they fit perfectly. I also was looking for a bed, and since my 2 girls are each getting a doll for x-mas, I found a good deal on a doll bunkbed at Walmart online. It was somewhere in the neighborhood of $35 shipped.

As for your DD11 - how about a Kindle or Nook? If she loves reading that much, it might be a good investment. I personally never buy books retail, so it won't work for me despite the fact that I LOVE to read also. My cousin who is turning 15 right after x-mas is getting one, and it will be a huge money saver - she loves to buy books, as soon as they are released, usually hardcover.

Good luck!

I just went and did research on the kindle and that is perfect! She loves reading the Warrior cat books and lots of others so I know she will love this and plus she loves techie type things! Now to just find a few more great ideas for her. Thank you!

I just went and did research on the kindle and that is perfect! She loves reading the Warrior cat books and lots of others so I know she will love this and plus she loves techie type things! Now to just find a few more great ideas for her. Thank you!

With the new price and models, the Kindle is an AWESOME choice.

But, the new color Nook is supposed to be on the horizon too.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/25/...ching-nook-kids-this-week-set-to-be-the-nook/

Also, don't forget that Kindle and Nook both have "apps" for smartphones and iPads and the like. So, you can take your books on the go with you on different devices too! And, Kindle recently announced the ability to "share" books too with friends which is VERY cool. And kindle has a "web viewer" too.

The whole electronic book market is finally not only starting to heat up, but, really get easy and accessible for everyone and not just geeks (which means lower prices too!)

Hopefully all of my back and forth is helping all you guys out :) Feel free to tell me to just go back to lurking if need be ;)

Has anyone got there dd a easy bake oven?

That was on my list for last year, but I got talked out of it and SOOOOO glad I did. I really don't have anywhere to store it and you have to buy the special mixes, etc. As an alternative, I just did a basket of baking items, aprons, pink pot holders, mini muffin pans, etc. and we just bake together with our regular 'ole oven :)

My girls had an Easy Bake oven and loved it but the mixes were insanely expensive and the portions were tiny.

I think I have seen online recipes for Easy Bake mixes so you may be able to make your own cheaper.

Thanks everyone. My little girl loves to help cook. The mixes are outrageous. I will see if I can find the mixes online:goodvibes

Hello Everybody -

I just found this thread - great conversation! I was so happy to be starting
my shopping early this year (like today :rotfl:) and then I saw OP started in
July!!! Well, gotta start somewhere! I am going to WDW in Nov as well...hope to finish shopping before I go. We all have different budgets...and different ideas of early shopping!

ps. I had an Easy Bake oven and always loved using it...those little cake layers were little though. I remember there was a recipe for "crazy cake" - something involving vinegar as an ingredient. Maybe today's kids will like that
recipe since it fizzes when you mix it.

With the new price and models, the Kindle is an AWESOME choice.

But, the new color Nook is supposed to be on the horizon too.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/25/...ching-nook-kids-this-week-set-to-be-the-nook/

Also, don't forget that Kindle and Nook both have "apps" for smartphones and iPads and the like. So, you can take your books on the go with you on different devices too! And, Kindle recently announced the ability to "share" books too with friends which is VERY cool. And kindle has a "web viewer" too.

The whole electronic book market is finally not only starting to heat up, but, really get easy and accessible for everyone and not just geeks (which means lower prices too!)

Hopefully all of my back and forth is helping all you guys out :) Feel free to tell me to just go back to lurking if need be ;)

I don't know about everybody else but I love having an "expert" to help answer my questions:) Please stick around!:goodvibes

Oh. My. Word!!! I had no idea what She Bop meant but now I am MORTIFIED that, as grade-schoolers, we used to all run around the skating rink singing it. I'm sure the high schoolers got a kick out of THAT!! :eek:

I have to admit, I've never heard Turning Japanese. I looked it up and I don't see it. I mean, I know what it's supposed to be about, but it must be more subtle than She Bop. And if that ISN'T what it's about then I really have no idea LOL I must get on iTunes and find that song, maybe hearing it will make it easier to understand.

Anyway, to return to the topic at hand: We are closing in on being done with Christmas. My 14 year old stepson turned in a partial list this weekend. He wants a new cellphone (showed us one at the Cingular store), Nike Shox, and some Under Armour shirts. He also mentioned that he doesn't like the plain Phiton necklaces but does like the ones in team colors. Now I just have to figure out which team that would be :confused3 So those items with the clothes and stocking stuffers I already have him should wrap him up. I think I have found a few things for my 11 year old DS as well. He likes the Star Wars Lego sets so I may pick up some more of those. They also had a neat thing on the TRU site...a kit where you build your own (small) light saber. It was $10 on sale so that would make a cute stocking stuffer. He also recently watched the Back to the Future movies and really liked them so I may get him a set of them.

DD is all but done, she has ONE thing left to buy :worship:

The youngest is soo hard to buy for. He has so many hand me down toys and then a November birthday. *sigh* But I think we have his list hammered out and, thankfully, most of it is bought. He needs his Santa gift and then I think he is taken care of. I am so glad to be this far into my list at this point :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter