Christmas Shopping 2010

Okay, let me start by saying that we do not have any video games in our house. Because I hate video games. I am, however, resigned to the fact that it will probably become a reality that we own one. I am looking at the XBox 360 and the Wii. I have a DS (5) and a DS(3). I also have a game nerd DH.
I sort of like the idea of the Wii fit thing, but really have no idea how to use it or even entirely what it is. Both of my brothers have Xboxes, but all they play are zombie killing games (which I don't really want my boys playing).
The last video game I actually played was a Nintendo. The original one. And even then I only played Mario Bros.
I have no idea which one of these gaming systems to buy. Please can someone help the game illiterate who is me? :confused3

I am an avid gamer. You are right the the Wii is the most family friendly right now.. But I think that will change when Kinex is released for the Xbox. The Kinex is the motion games just like the Wii uses but your body is the control.. There will also be a variety of workout games that will follow also.. I have the 360 and the Wii and I think the 360 is better. Check out the kinex line up coming out in Nov when Kinex is released..

I wish I could join the fun but after reading just a few pages of this thread I feel totally stressed out! SOme people spend so much! I totally get to each their own but $650 for one kid yikes! :scared1:

I'm with you on that one.. We usually spend about $200 per child.. Though I am sure that will increase as they get older..

I'm with you on that one.. We usually spend about $200 per child.. Though I am sure that will increase as they get older..

We are planning $75 per child....we are on a really tight budget this year and are pretty strapped :( you all are making me feel cheap :sad1: lol

Everyone's budget is different and I don't think it was nice being attacked by the amount I spend on my children. In fact I was really happy that I got such good deals and wanted to share. My dd is the hardest to buy for. She has never played with toys, so why would I go out and buy a whole bunch of cheap toys that I would end up throwing away anyways. So yes I did spend 650.00 on my dd but the stuff she is getting is the stuff she wanted and I felt she deserved. I wasn't trying to make anyone feel bad about their budgets.

Anyone else want to slam me for spending money on my kids go ahead I guess. I wont be returning to this thread.

Scored 2 Sing a majigs at Target!!!!!!! My DS3 will love those!

tikilyn - You shouldn't feel bad! I think sometimes (and I know I'm guilty of this as well) people forget that the disboards consist of people with all different budgets. I've seen people post about sales on luxury items on the budget board before and others posted responses wondering if things like that belong on the Budget Board. I think they do. This isn't a one-size-fits-all sort of site - there's a wide range of people represented here. Whatever amount we plan to spend at Christmas, I imagine we all appreciate the tips that help us to stretch our budget even further. No one ought to feel bad because compared to the other posters they are spending "too much" or "too little". We all do what works best for our families; it doesn't matter how that compares to everyone else. (ETA - I forgot this was on the Family Board and not the Budget Board, but I still think most of this applies.)

I am an avid gamer. You are right the the Wii is the most family friendly right now.. But I think that will change when Kinex is released for the Xbox. The Kinex is the motion games just like the Wii uses but your body is the control.. There will also be a variety of workout games that will follow also.. I have the 360 and the Wii and I think the 360 is better. Check out the kinex line up coming out in Nov when Kinex is released..

My family has all three of the current consoles - the Wii, Xbox 360 and the PS3. We use the 360 most often. When games are available for all the consoles, we get them for the 360. That said, if I was getting a console for a family who doesn't really game much, I would get the Wii. The games are a little more friendly for casual gamers, in my opinion. They have great exclusive titles like the Mario games, Toy Story Mania, Animal Crossing and (soon) Epic Mickey. There is a big library of games out there for the Wii and lots of them are available at bargain prices. Lots of the multiplayer family friendly games will also accomodate up to 4 players at a time, which is great for many families.

The Xbox 360 has some games for casual gamers, but not nearly as many as the Wii at this point, and they aren't as inexpensive as many Wii games. For older or more dedicated gamers, the 360 has a much larger selection of games. The upcoming Kinect for the 360 looks like it really has the potential to open up the 360 to all the casual gamers. But the launch games are sort of light, I think. There are some cute ones, but nothing that can compete with the Wii yet. Also, it's my understanding that the Kinect can only track two players at a time, which means not as many people can play at the same time as can on the Wii. Plus, I don't think there are enough reviews out there yet on the Kinect gameplay. I'd like to hear more reviews on how it compares to the Wii and the Playstation Move. I really want Kinect if for no other reason than the new dashboard interface, but that seems like a silly reason to buy it so I'm holding out for a few more Kinect-compatible games.

We have a Wii-- if you can get the Just Dance game - i think there is a 2nd one, a broadway one, and a kids bop kind too- they are fun and HILARIOUS!! watching DH, dance with our 3 girls to girls just wanna have fun is THE.BEST.THING.EVER.

I can not find any Monster High Dolls -anywhere (well Cleo and the boy one are all over but no other ones) anybody having luck with those-- oh and FYI if you have one the arems and legs are supposed to come off th make changing outfits easier - so maybe not the best choice for little ones-

IDK about anyone else but I am just not impressed with anythng much out this yr.

We have a Wii-- if you can get the Just Dance game - i think there is a 2nd one, a broadway one, and a kids bop kind too- they are fun and HILARIOUS!! watching DH, dance with our 3 girls to girls just wanna have fun is THE.BEST.THING.EVER.

I can not find any Monster High Dolls -anywhere (well Cleo and the boy one are all over but no other ones) anybody having luck with those-- oh and FYI if you have one the arems and legs are supposed to come off th make changing outfits easier - so maybe not the best choice for little ones-

IDK about anyone else but I am just not impressed with anythng much out this yr.

They aren't something I'm shopping for so I don't know how the price compares, but I've seen the Monster High dolls on the Justice website and there's usually a 40% off coupon code out. HTH.

I started ordering the Christmas Eve pajamas today. I got two robes from The Children's Place and one pair of pj's from Old Navy. Now I just need to find two more. I'm hoping Walmart will come out with Snoopy ones again this year for Dd. We don't do matching ones, my kids are all so different that I like to get their favorite characters or interests when I can.

Everyone's budget is different and I don't think it was nice being attacked by the amount I spend on my children. In fact I was really happy that I got such good deals and wanted to share. My dd is the hardest to buy for. She has never played with toys, so why would I go out and buy a whole bunch of cheap toys that I would end up throwing away anyways. So yes I did spend 650.00 on my dd but the stuff she is getting is the stuff she wanted and I felt she deserved. I wasn't trying to make anyone feel bad about their budgets.

Anyone else want to slam me for spending money on my kids go ahead I guess. I wont be returning to this thread.

Please don't let anyone make you feel bad about the $ you spend on your children for Xmas. We all have different budgets and what seems like a lot for one family may seem very reasonable to another :goodvibes

I found the Frankenstein Monster High doll at Target last week adn I am searching high and low for the vampire.
DD9 is dying for all of them, but 2 is what Santa is bringing!

I think a 650 budget is reasonable if you can afford it, just like a I feel a 2500 budget and a 50 budget is reasonable. Everyone had their price point. Please don't feel like you can't be on here anymore. I think its great that you were able to get your daughter the things that she will really love! Especially since you say she deserves it. I am sure there will be many presents under the tree this year all around the world for kids who DON"T deserve them, but get them anyway. Take heart, I am sure no one meant to hurt anyones feelings.

I ordered Dh an e reader off of QVC last night. I get to make payments for the next 5 months, like 38 bucks or something. Its Barnes and Noble compatible and it has wifi and all kinds of other stuff. So excited. I called him at work to tell him to get it for me instead of an i pod touch, but he wasnt able to get the message until after they were all gone! lol

My hubby is in North Carolina working until mid december or later. I was thinking about surprising him by comeing down for his one day off so we can go Christmas shopping and spend some time together. Now if I can get Mom and sister to help watch my older girls for 2 days and a night! Hmmm........ don't know if I can pull that off, but I think I might try! :confused3

Anyone find any good sales in the ads today? I didn't see much. I CAN'T WAIT to get halloween over with so we can get to Christmas! :rotfl:

Thanks, ed. I will jump over to zooLert and see about doing that. The only place I have seen the dinos is on the mypillowpets site itself and on amazon. I don't know if anyone else has stocked them at all. We may end up with 2 puppies by default. Do you think these are items that should be ordered sooner rather than later, btw? DH can't imagine that these items are going to be sold out clear through Christmas, but I clearly remember Tickle Me Elmo and Cabbage Patch crazes....
Thanks for helping Santa keep up!

Pillow Pets are interesting one.

At first, I thought Pillow Pets, despite coming out last year "as seen on TV", would still be really hot and hard to find in stores now that they are readily available in Walmart, etc...

It's just how big "etc" is growing recently. CVS also has them as well.. I think many, many stores pegged Pillow Pets as this year gotta-have-them-in-the-store Zhu Zhu Pets of the year, so, I think you will be able to find them at some typically unusual places if you are in a pinch.

So, yea, I think you might want to get what you can find when you find it... but, I don't think it's going to be a bloodbath if you try to get one closer to Christmas (one or two will probably stand out though of course).

I've seen a lot of back and forth on the Wii and 360 (and not so much mentions of the PS3).

Here's my thoughts on all the options.

Wii - Started the "pick up and play" family game night. AKA, that "casual gamer". It's great at it, and even the base games (Wii Sports etc) are still many people's go-to games. They have the family fun nailed down well. But, three years into it, some people feel it is getting a little stale. On the other hand, there are some great titles (Just Dance, the Mario Brothers games, etc) and it's still a lot of fun. A lot. Very in tune with the "casual" gamer and family game night.

Xbox 360 - Xbox is getting into the Wii free motion stuff soon this upcoming November with the Xbox Kinect. We've been tracking it for a while and its selling very well. It does the same kind of movement stuff as the wii (where you are the controller so to say), but, it REALLY is free form. Where the wii, you have to hold the controllers and it tracks your movements... The Kinect is basically like a webcam you put under your TV... And then you just do whatever it is you need to do! Fighting game? Punch, kick, jump! Kickball game? Flail around and kick the ball. Boating game (yes, there is one and an accessory is an inflatable boat!!!) ... row like you would row a boat. Driving game? Make pretend you have a wheel in hand and drive! See the the common theme? YOU are the controller. There is NO controller. Very cool. And multiple people can play games -- at the same time with ONE kinect. So, keep that in mind when evaluating the price (of course, you need a 360 console too)

And the PS3. Ahhh. The PS3. Two things to say about this. PS3's attempt to get in the free form fun is PS3 "Move". It's more like the Wii... The controllers look a bit funny, but, if you are familiar with the Wii style of play, PS3 Move adds very similar play. But.. #2 reason to get a PS3 (and #1 reason for many).. It plays BluRays. BluRays, being the "new" DVDs, are a great thing to have in the family... (sure you can stream netflix on any of these but that's a different story)... A lot of people say, well, I could get a nice BluRay for ~150, why not get a PS3 for a bit more?

Hope that helps all of you out there making your console choices this year!

And we put up a few new writeups. We added some more about the RC Stealth Cars and did some interaction and pictures of the Zoobles. I have to admit.... I brushed the Zoobles off, but, after seeing the video and actually playing with them at Tony's house, they were pretty nice.

phew. Ok. Back to lurking and working! :)

Have no clue what I am buying this year. My DD13 almost 14 is getting hard to buy for, everyting she wants is so expensive. We just got back from a 4 day trip to New England and I told her that was part of Christmas. I think I am going to buy her things she needs. I have bought some special shamppo etc that she like to put her her stocking. I know I sound like a Scrooge! I hope the spirit hits me soon!

Another family considering the Wii here...I am obviously looking to get the best deal possible...anybody have any ideas on whether the prices will go down as we get closer to Christmas? The one game that I want to get is Super Mario Bros. So maybe that limited edition red Wii with Super Mario Bros is the way to go...basically I would save close to $50 because that game would come with the Wii. Am I missing anything by not getting the normal Resort game that comes with it otherwise. Would I be better off waiting and hopefully finding a better deal...as you can tell I am totally clueless! Help please:confused3

Here is the link to the special edition one...
http://mario25.nintendo.com/redwii/

Another family considering the Wii here...I am obviously looking to get the best deal possible...anybody have any ideas on whether the prices will go down as we get closer to Christmas? The one game that I want to get is Super Mario Bros. So maybe that limited edition red Wii with Super Mario Bros is the way to go...basically I would save close to $50 because that game would come with the Wii. Am I missing anything by not getting the normal Resort game that comes with it otherwise. Would I be better off waiting and hopefully finding a better deal...as you can tell I am totally clueless! Help please:confused3

Here is the link to the special edition one...
http://mario25.nintendo.com/redwii/

Here's my (professional? :D) opinion.

110% the right choice. No.Question.

You can always buy Sports Resort later. Here's everything that bundle actually comes with :

Includes Red Wii Console, Red Wii Remote Plus, Red Nunchuk, Wii Sports and New Super Mario Bros. Wii game pack. New Super Mario Bros. Wii – A classic Mario adventure that everyone can enjoy. This Sidescrolling Platformer for 1-4 players has a game rating of “E” w/Comic Mischief. Language is English, Spanish and French.

So, you are getting the new controller (the "plus" part), a nunchuck.. So you have all you need for player #1.

You also get the new super mario brothers (GREAT game).

And, you DO get Wii Sports. It's not Wii Sports Resort (the new one), but, it is the "classic" one that everyone always plays. Ever see the endless amounts of people playing bowling? It's in there!

And... you get that "cool" version of the console that you can ooh and ahh and brag to all your friends you have.

110% the right choice.

And, to be perfectly honest, getting caught up in the wind of everything I thought this was a Japan only release.

Holy do we have a tracker to make! Thank you for YOUR help :)

Hope my advice above helps.

And unless you are in those small amount of states that have tax on Amazon, I would highly recommend getting it from Amazon. No tax (for most) and free shipping options. It comes right to your door, no hassles, no fuss, no muss.

How much is the special Wii? That sounds really awesome.....even though I know we can't afford it :rolleyes:.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter