Christmas season resort - can't decide and rooms are disappearing

barbliny

DIS Veteran
We decided to add a long weekend trip in the beginning of December since I've always wanted to see Disney decorated for the Christmas holiday - and we have an AP that expires soon after and we will probably not renew for next year.

I've been trying to wait for discounts, but rooms just keep disappearing. I am most likely looking at the deluxes. It is just a husband and wife trip.

I want big holiday atmosphere ...
I kind of have it narrowed down to the Grand Floridian and Wilderness Lodge.

Background -
this is our 5th trip of the year, most are 4 or 5 days (this one will be 4 days)
AKL 1/17, AoA & Poly CL TPV 6/17 (long trip with our adult girls), YC CL 9/17, BWI 10/17 (with friends)
Over the years we have stayed at AS Sports, AoA, CSR, CBR, POR, BC and the ones already listed
Our airfares have been very inexpensive, so that makes splurging for the deluxes more palatable
We usually rent a car and forego MDE - however, this trip I am leaning towards not renting a car

I would prefer a non-Epcot resort since we will on 'that side' for a total of 10 days in September and October (even though I could get these discounted through the TA). I am also concerned with the gondola construction.

Grand Floridian pros - big rooms, gorgeous lobby and Christmas decorations, on the monorail, this will in all likelihood be the only time I would consider paying the price to stay here.
Grand Floridian cons - is it too stuffy? outer building - have to walk to main building for food, etc. Do they decorate the outer buildings?
WL pros - beautiful lobby and Christmas decorations, cozy-feeling, less expensive, AKL is my favorite resort (although, it needs a bit of a refurb) and WL is the same designer
WL cons - smaller rooms, secluded, meals need to be planned vs. being on the monorail and hopping to MK, Epcot, Poly, CR if I am staying in GF and don't want to eat there, I would feel that I might want that rental car I was trying to do without - and lastly, this resort is one that I would consider staying on other trips

I'm doing all of this through pictures and reviews - so, if anyone has personal experience with the resorts ...

I have put these 2 resorts in and out of my cart a hundred times today.

As my daughters would say - first world, princess problems

Availability does seem to be pretty low for this time of year, so I tend to agree to book whichever one is available. I'd normally choose GF without hesitating, but with just 2 adults I wouldn't mind WL. My personal hold-back with WL is the smallish room size for our family of 4, but if just DH and I, then I might be ok with the room. Also, bottom line is I'd rather be in the main building to enjoy the lobby/atmosphere during the holiday, so WL also fits this desire.

I do favor GF over WL, but in your particular case, WL seems to make the most sense to me.

GF, especially if this is the only time you would consider staying there. It's beyond gorgeous at Christmas and I don't feel GF is stuffy at all. I've stayed in 4 different room categories at GF (both outer building and RPC) and I would not hesitate staying in an outer building. The walk to the main building is short and there is not a bad view from any GF room IMHO. WL is lovely (and really lovely at Christmas), but we've gone a long time without staying there for the very reasons you mention - small rooms, less convenient transportation. We are only staying there this August because it's only me and DS9 and (now that he doesn't need a car seat) we uber just about everywhere on property to avoid the buses.

Not sure of your dates but Im coming in end of November... For some reason WL and POLY are gone no matter which dates I put in. Only a 2 night stay at Poly available and thats using a PIN CODE.

Grand Floridian was available however. So on that alone that would be your best option.

Both WL and GF were available for my long weekend - non-discounted (the Saturday was available with the holiday discount, but I didn't want to do split reservations).
Poly, Poly CL, BC, and BWi were available through a travel agent with good discounts. AKL through the TA with a small discount. GF was available with a good discount, but for a longer stay than I was looking for.

I tentatively went for GF directly through Disney with no discount. Very unusual for me to book without a discount!! I'll be waking up every morning to see if any discounts are released. And I'm still thinking about Wilderness! I'm still torn :confused3

You can't go wrong with either choice - both WL and GF are gorgeous at the holidays. I'll throw my hat in the ring, however, for WL. There's something about WL at Christmas that none of the other resorts really match. It usually tops the lists of best Christmas resorts at WDW and it's more than just the decorations. Nothing like spending a long December day at the parks and coming back to sit and relax by the fireplace (I recommend the little nook on the second floor that overlooks the lobby and 40' Christmas tree).

If you're looking for big Holiday atmosphere, WL will deliver. We stayed there last December and liked it so much at Christmas that we decided to book there again this year (even after looking at several other deluxes). WL of course does come with the downsides already mentioned (and if those are more important then GF is the better choice). Regardless of which one you choose, it's still Christmas at Disney.

As nice as GF is during Christmas, WL is one of the best decorated and most festive resort at Christmas time. From the second you walk in, you'll be in awe.
And take everyone's advice. Book now!!!
The secret is out and this is not a slow time of year anymore.

Grand Floridian is not stuffy and probably has the best service on Disney! The out buildings are great. But we always book club level. The food is great! We'll do breakfast everyday there.

Absolutely Wilderness Lodge. During the non-Christmas season, that hotel is beautiful and welcoming to the point that you feel like you could kick off your shoes and take a nap on the couch right there in the middle of the lobby. At Christmas, though, it becomes even more magical. The beautiful Christmas tree in the lobby warms you from the inside out. The music that the resort plays changes from western style music (such as the Magnificent 7 Theme) to instrumental Christmas music. At the end of the day, there is nothing like getting a cup of hot chocolate and sitting in one of the rocking chairs by the fire. The decor of Wilderness Lodge just lends itself to the Christmas decorations so well. Grand Floridian is definitely lovely, but Wilderness Lodge is absolutely my choice. In fact, I'd pay Grand Floridian prices for Wilderness Lodge.

I would pick Wilderness Lodge (which I did, I have it booked for my December stay) I didn't like the Grand Floridian on my recent stay, I probably would have liked it more if I was in the main building. Having to walk outside to get to my room just doesn't appeal to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter