Christmas Presents for Parents

cindirella&herprince

Earning My Ears
So, my parents, that are in their sixties, are currently packing up or getting rid of everything in their home. They are preparing to retire and travel in their 5th wheel. They say they don't want anything for Christmas because they "don't want anything they will just have to lug around with them". I still want to do something for them, but just taking them out to eat would be too expensive me and DH. Unfortunately, Leave a Legacy in Epcot and Walk Around the World in MK no longer are available. I'd love to do something similar to that considering my parents have been visiting Disney since 1973 and Disney is big part of our family. Anyone have any ideas???? :confused3

How about some Disney things to put on their fifth wheel? Licence plate holder or magnets or such?

How about some gift cards for chain places to eat-Olive Garden, etc? How about an animal sponsorship at a zoo?

How about a gift card or gift certificate for their favorite restaurant? Or just take them out for a really nice dinner, (what you'd have paid for a gift) but be sure to take it up with the maitre d' beforehand that you're paying. :thumbsup2 I know how parents can be sneaky and try to pay despite the several times you tell them you're taking *them* out!

Or maybe a night at a really nice hotel?

gas cards, photo album or journal to document their travels.

National park pass, state park pass, et..

What about a digital picture frame or keychain? Thats not much to carry around and you can load it up w/tons of photos ahead of time.

What about a digital picture frame or keychain? Thats not much to carry around and you can load it up w/tons of photos ahead of time.

That's a GREAT idea-then they can show off the grandkids during their travels :thumbsup2

Hi,

As a card carrying member of the club called "Don't Buy Me Stuff I Have Too Much Junk Anyway and I'm Really Trying to Get Rid of It All" really, really PLEASE understand that getting something small doesn't really work. For me. It is still stuff. Stuff that I'm sure is nice but has to sit somewhere and do something not productive while I feel guilt when in two years I move it to the charity bin. This sounds awful and I feel awful even saying it.

Of course I'll never tell you that when I open the present, but I thought you should know the inside thought of one person who always asks for things that are consumable. How about a membership to a museum that reciprocates? Or dinner gift cards? Or heck, even candles that I can burn and enjoy and then they are gone?

Thanks!

I like the restaurant certificate idea. My sister and her husband are in their 60s also, have EVERYTHING and they LOVE eating out.

Nice stationary for the letters they will write you? I know I would love a journal to keep all my memories in or a nice camera, to take tons of photos.

I have made donations to the local humane society and Ronald McDonald house in my dad's name. They send a thank you note to that person so it is nice.

We also do dinner out gift cards and tickets to plays/musicals for both sets of parents.

They seem to appreciate the gift cards for places like Panera as much as the expensive ones.

How about more specific things for their travels.

I would start with gift certificates for places like Walmart and Target so that they can get whatever essentials they need during their travels. (check the expiration dates though).

You could get them some movies or books on tape to listen to while they're driving.

Find out some of the places they are heading to and contact the chamber of commerce and put together a little package for them of directions, don't miss things, and coupons.

As far as Disney goes why not buy them some stock. Not sure how expensive that could get.

I always get my parents tickets to a play/musical, a gift card for dinner near the theater and I put $30 in the envelope for parking along with the address to the nearest parking garage.

I think, at that age, the dining out certificates are best. Movie passes are good. Not sure where you live but tickets to a show are good too (but probably too pricey). Think of things they can do versus stuff.

Hi,

As a card carrying member of the club called "Don't Buy Me Stuff I Have Too Much Junk Anyway and I'm Really Trying to Get Rid of It All" really, really PLEASE understand that getting something small doesn't really work. For me. It is still stuff. Stuff that I'm sure is nice but has to sit somewhere and do something not productive while I feel guilt when in two years I move it to the charity bin. This sounds awful and I feel awful even saying it.

Of course I'll never tell you that when I open the present, but I thought you should know the inside thought of one person who always asks for things that are consumable. How about a membership to a museum that reciprocates? Or dinner gift cards? Or heck, even candles that I can burn and enjoy and then they are gone?

Thanks!

Love the museum idea. We belong to our local zoo, botanical gardens, and children's museum. We have spent a lot of time traveling the past year and it was so nice having the reciprocal admissions. We got to go all kinds of places for free. I know that our local natural history museum is part of a national group of historical type museums. A membership for a couple is often around $60 and you get so much mileage out of it.

I love this site:

http://www.kiva.org/

The website blurb that describes the site:

Make a loan to an entrepreneur across the globe for as little as $25.Kiva is the world's first online lending platform connecting onlinelenders to ...

You can buy gift certificates to give money instead of lending it. A few American dollars can change someone's life in another country. Your parents could track the person or group of their monetary donation.

I think if they specifically said no gift, I'd honor that. An rv can be a very tight fit. I would give some kind of gift card... gas, groceries, restaurant. You know those will get used!

:drive:If they are traveling in the 5'er, how about a gas card?....Even a gift certificate toward a nights stay in a campground they plan to visit? Maybe even for Disney's Fort Wilderness.
They may even be able to use a membership in a Good Sams Club or AAA for roadside assistance.

I would give a gas gift card--even a hundred or two could buy them a full tank!

For my parents first year in their RV, we got them an RV sign. One with their last name on it and the word welcome. They loved it and still use it.

Now I just give them a calendar of the kids, Dad gets his Starbucks coffee and Mom a box of tea from somewhere we've traveled to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter