Christmas Ornaments ideas for a 2nd grade class,

ditchdocsgirl

Earning My Ears

I'm looking for :santa: Christmas Ornament ideas for my daughters second grade class. Each parent that does an ornament will provide ALL the supplies and we make the ornament with each child. We have 19 children in our classroom, so EASY ornament ideas would be appreciated.

Check out Oriental Trading. We just got their Xmas catalog and there are cute ornaments shown. Might give you some inspiration or possibly less expensive just to order the kits from them and charge the parents.

Candy cane raindeer are cute and easy

what you need
Brown pipe cleaners
mini red pom poms
googly eyes
candy canes
yard ( any color)

Directions to make 1 candy cane raindeer.

Take 1 ( 10" ) pipe cleaner and cut it in half. Cut 1 half in half again. Take the 5" piece and twist it around the top of the curved part of the candy cane. Twist it 2 time so the two ends are sticking straight up. Pull the ends apart and twist one of the 2.5" pieces around each end. This makes the antlers. Next take 1 mini pom pom and attach it to the end of the curved part of the candy cane. This makes the nose. Take the googly eyes and attach them between the nose and the antlers.
Use a 6" piece of yarn and tie it to the candy cane behind the antlers. ( i like to tie the ends of the piece of yard first to make like a ring then loop it around the candy cane like you would a wrist strap or a tag )

mini glue dots are the easiest and least messy way to attach the eyes and pom poms. Some times you can get sticky googly eyes. Tiny buttons work too.

You can buy clear glass ball ornaments and take off the metal cover that has the hook thing attached. Have a variety of craft paints (less than $1 each at craft stores) and let the students squirt some different paints into the ball, at different angles. Move the ball around to spread the paint out until the entire inside of the ball is covered. It makes a pretty marble effect. I've done it with my third grade class and taped the opening and let them roll it on the floor between their legs. Once the inside is covered, turn the ball upside down in a plastic cup to let the excess paint drip out. Once it's dry, recap it and tie a pretty ribbon on it. They turn out really nice and look like expensive ornaments.

You can buy clear glass ball ornaments and take off the metal cover that has the hook thing attached. Have a variety of craft paints (less than $1 each at craft stores) and let the students squirt some different paints into the ball, at different angles. Move the ball around to spread the paint out until the entire inside of the ball is covered. It makes a pretty marble effect. I've done it with my third grade class and taped the opening and let them roll it on the floor between their legs. Once the inside is covered, turn the ball upside down in a plastic cup to let the excess paint drip out. Once it's dry, recap it and tie a pretty ribbon on it. They turn out really nice and look like expensive ornaments.

That's what I was going to say. My DD made them in girl scouts/brownies, and still enjoys making them, and not too much of a mess!:rolleyes1

This was posted somewhere else here on the DIS but its super easy. Just buy a box of popcorn and a box of pretty glass balls... and maybe a ribbon on top. You could have them write their name or paint it on the glass... or decorate with glitter and stuff!
http://www.hgtv.com/cr-occasions/calls-popcorn-ornament/index.html

cdw203_k_w190.jpg

There are a couple other ideas on that page too!

I just went to a craft show.. someone used the clear plastic ornaments, put disney stickers inside with the fake snow and present bows on top. Very crafty my daughter is making these for her teachers and grandparents.:wizard:

My DS made a cute one once with those ball ornaments. They used a blue ornament then made a snowman with their thumb/finger prints in white paint.

What about children that may not celebrate Christmas and thus wouldn't use it?

I'm looking for :santa: Christmas Ornament ideas for my daughters second grade class. Each parent that does an ornament will provide ALL the supplies and we make the ornament with each child. We have 19 children in our classroom, so EASY ornament ideas would be appreciated.

I am surprised that you are allowed to make Christmas ornaments. At my son school, everything has to be winter related (snowmen, snowflakes etc) and no reference to Christmas can be made. Ornaments (although cute) would be a big no-no!

You could have them use a big coffee can... and sit it on top of a piece of paper and trace around it... Then cut out the circle. Fold it as many times as they can and cut little designs in it and make snowflakes. Then... they can put a red ribbon through one of the holes and those that celebrate Christmas can hang it on their Christmas Tree... and those who dont can have a nice snowflake door hanger :)

What about children that may not celebrate Christmas and thus wouldn't use it?

Yes, that was my first thought.

My childrens' district requires that any December holiday have NO Santa, NO Reindeer, NO RED and GREEN as the sole colors and no BLUE and SILVER as the sole colors.

They are permitted to have: Snowmen, snowflakes, gingerbread people and/or wreaths.

When my kids were in elementary school, they made tons of snowman or snowflake based ornaments. Most turned out really cute.

One year they made personal gingerbread houses which was really nice.

My district does not even do parties. It's quite sad actually. The concept of parties disrupts the "strict instructional practices in place" (insert principal voice here).

For my DS's kindergarden class I did a cute picture snowman ornament/magnet. I got one of those foam snowman kits that make like 25. They had cut outs in them to add your own picture. The week before the class party when we would make the ornaments I went into the class and took a picture of each child. so before the party I had all the pictures developed. I then put all the pieces of the ornament into a ziploc bag for each child with their picture in it.
They loved cutting out their pictures and then deciding wheather to make an ornament or a magnet. I think the whole thing only cost me under $15 for a class of 24.:)

For my DS's kindergarden class I did a cute picture snowman ornament/magnet. I got one of those foam snowman kits that make like 25. They had cut outs in them to add your own picture. The week before the class party when we would make the ornaments I went into the class and took a picture of each child. so before the party I had all the pictures developed. I then put all the pieces of the ornament into a ziploc bag for each child with their picture in it.
They loved cutting out their pictures and then deciding wheather to make an ornament or a magnet. I think the whole thing only cost me under $15 for a class of 24.:)

That's fantastic!!

We did one of these a few years ago. We bought clear plastic ball ornaments from a crafts store and squirted various color paints (apple barn bottles) inside (from the top hole) and swirled them around till it was completely coated inside. It's fairly cheap, not to many decisions to make if you just buy a few colors.

Thanks so much for all the ideas!! :goodvibes I'm starting to get a lil more excited about it now...I want the most 'unique' idea for an ornament...and these are all good!! :thumbsup2

The glass ornament idea turns out well however I don't recommend it. My daughter made those in third grade. It was a windy day and as she walked out of the school the wind knocked the bag out of her hand. It fell and of course broke. She was heart-broken. She had worked so hard to make a beautiful ornament for me only to have it broken before I could see it. She ran to the car crying because her gift was ruined. Please, if you are making ornaments with children do not use something glass. JMHO

The glass ornament idea turns out well however I don't recommend it. My daughter made those in third grade. It was a windy day and as she walked out of the school the wind knocked the bag out of her hand. It fell and of course broke. She was heart-broken. She had worked so hard to make a beautiful ornament for me only to have it broken before I could see it. She ran to the car crying because her gift was ruined. Please, if you are making ornaments with children do not use something glass. JMHO

Aww, your daughter was probably so upset. We make these, but we always wrap them in bubble wrap before we gift wrap. Just make sure you wrap them well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter